PDA

View Full Version : Reminder: we share the backcountry with others

Stillhunting
10-03-2022, 11:54 AM
My wife was scoped by a "hunter" and had a warning shot fired in her direction before being threatened that the next one was for her, this morning after attempting to go for a walk on a mountain bike trail above Hamilton Lake. If you're going to hunt a bike trail in a popular recreation area, chances are you're going to bump into hikers and bikers so maybe your first reaction shouldn't be to shoot at people and threaten to kill them. A couple years ago my father had a crazy hunter flip out and accuse him of using his blind, until he pointed out his boot prints were different. I think there are more than a few hunters out there who need to chill out. Not everyone is trying to interfere with your hunt. In fact, if you're a decent hunter people won't even know you're there. Hunting is supposed to be an enjoyable pastime, if you're getting this worked up out there, it's time to take a break and put the guns down for a while before someone gets hurt.

KodiakHntr
10-03-2022, 11:57 AM
For me, thats an immediate call to the RCMP. Period.

Harvest the Land
10-03-2022, 12:00 PM
Ho lee fak man! Did she/you report to the Fuzz? That "hunter" should lose their PAL and hunting license permanently. Deliberately scoping or sending warning shots at anyone is absolutely reprehensible

BimmerBob
10-03-2022, 12:05 PM
Sure it was a hunter and not a dope grower protecting their operation? Guys with guns in the wilderness are not always hunters... something to think about. Dangerous actions by them none-the-less, crazy people getting crazier every day.

Be well.../B

Stillhunting
10-03-2022, 12:13 PM
For me, thats an immediate call to the RCMP. Period.

Trying to convince her too, but she's terrified about someone so unstable with guns having a reason to harm her. Small town, so everyone knows everyone. I want to go have a chat with him but she doesn't think that would end well, lol.

BimmerBob
10-03-2022, 12:15 PM
Trying to convince her too, but she's terrified about someone so unstable with guns having a reason to harm her. Small town, so everyone knows everyone. I want to go have a chat with him but she doesn't think that would end well, lol.

It won't end well for someone in the future if actions like that go ignored. Seriously, contact the police and have them talk to the guy if you know who it is. They are a serious danger to others.

Be well.../B

Stillhunting
10-03-2022, 12:16 PM
Sure it was a hunter and not a dope grower protecting their operation? Guys with guns in the wilderness are not always hunters... something to think about. Dangerous actions by them none-the-less, crazy people getting crazier every day.

Be well.../B

Definitely a hunter, admitted to watching a bear she had spooked, but it was too small, during the confrontation. Said he watched her through his scope too, so not a smart hunter that's for sure.

RiverOtter
10-03-2022, 12:32 PM
Scoping someone, as ignorant and irresponsible as that is, is NOTHING compared to having an intentional shot fired in your direction.

I can't imagine not reporting an incident like that, especially if the person in question followed it up with a face to face threat.

Honestly, we should be reading a post about how the RCMP responded to your wife's encounter, not how 'hunters' should share the backcountry.

IronNoggin
10-03-2022, 01:06 PM
...Honestly, we should be reading a post about how the RCMP responded to your wife's encounter, not how 'hunters' should share the backcountry.

^^^ This. In Spades.

Bugle M In
10-03-2022, 01:12 PM
It would have been a call to the rcmp.
should still be made.

jlirot
10-03-2022, 01:26 PM
Crazy not to call the cops on this one. Especially if you know who it was - seems like it was an actual face to face confrontation. Sounds like the idiot is stupid enough to admit that he did it to the RCMP if they confront him. Should put him in jail before he hurts somebody.

adriaticum
10-03-2022, 01:32 PM
Scoping someone, as ignorant and irresponsible as that is, is NOTHING compared to having an intentional shot fired in your direction.

I can't imagine not reporting an incident like that, especially if the person in question followed it up with a face to face threat.

Honestly, we should be reading a post about how the RCMP responded to your wife's encounter, not how 'hunters' should share the backcountry.

This.
-----

If you are not reporting this, you are a part of the problem.

Stillhunting
10-03-2022, 01:37 PM
Unfortunately with the current state of the Canadian Judicial System, she doesn't think it's wise to stick her neck out and be to be responsible for a clearly unhinged individual losing his hunting rights. It's tough to argue. Her life was threatened for simply attempting to walk on a well used trail. This guy doesn't need much motivation for violence, why become the target? Hopefully, when she has some time to calm down and think about it, she'll realize she needs to report it. Can't believe there's lunatics like this walking around the bush with guns. Scary stuff!

Spy
10-03-2022, 01:47 PM
Unfortunately with the current state of the Canadian Judicial System, she doesn't think it's wise to stick her neck out and be to be responsible for a clearly unhinged individual losing his hunting rights. It's tough to argue. Her life was threatened for simply attempting to walk on a well used trail. This guy doesn't need much motivation for violence, why become the target? Hopefully, when she has some time to calm down and think about it, she'll realize she needs to report it. Can't believe there's lunatics like this walking around the bush with guns. Scary stuff!
I can’t believe this either! Holy crap that is not good for anyone in the near future be it a hunter, hiker, cyclist, berry picker. This needs to be addressed either by you or the RCMP. Sorry you can’t let this slide for the safety of anyone using the backcountry, that would be selfish. What area are you in so I can make sure I never hunt there.

digger dogger
10-03-2022, 01:55 PM
My buddy in the interior had a steward of the land point a rifle at him and his buddy.
They called the cops.
Absolutely f**k all was done by the popo!
Seems crazy as the seriousness of pointing a gun at someone.

walks with deer
10-03-2022, 02:17 PM
Report now... period................

Period period.

Seeker
10-03-2022, 02:24 PM
Even with the rationale that you have given, I can't for the life of me understand how you could NOT report this. If he is willing to do that to your loved one, he wont hesitate to do the same to someone else or god forbid someone's kid. This is a no brainer...... do the right thing!

300rum700
10-03-2022, 02:34 PM
This is probably what I would do too when someone threatens my family with deadly force, runto the internet and post avout it! Either it's nothing more than a good story or you need to give your head a shake!

Spy
10-03-2022, 02:43 PM
There is a 100% consensus among hunters that posted that this should be reported to the RCMP. If you posted this thread for support you got it and know what you should do. Maybe you should read all the comments to your wife.

Fella
10-03-2022, 03:07 PM

Be well.../B

not many folks growing dope out in the woods anymore…

Stillhunting
10-03-2022, 03:19 PM
It's been reported, looks like I'll be spending hunting season around the house in case this nutcase decides to pay us a visit. Good times. Can't ****ing believe this is the result of going for a hike during hunting season. As hunters with guns we have a responsibility to behave at a higher standard. Our interactions with the general public and other backcountry users are important, and this garbage doesn't help the cause.

Spy
10-03-2022, 03:31 PM
It's been reported, looks like I'll be spending hunting season around the house in case this nutcase decides to pay us a visit. Good times. Can't ****ing believe this is the result of going for a hike during hunting season. As hunters with guns we have a responsibility to behave at a higher standard. Our interactions with the general public and other backcountry users are important, and this garbage doesn't help the cause.
I totally agree and that’s why you guys did the right thing reporting this. Thank you and your wife and I’m sure if you let us know where you are situated, you will have members coming out of the woodwork to help you if you need help. Thanks again.

lovemywinchester
10-03-2022, 03:53 PM
Is this Hamilton lake near Merritt?

It is against the law to point a gun at someone, never mind firing a gun. Terrible situation for you guys, sorry to hear this happened. Idiots like this need to be dealt with. There have been a few guys disappear in the bush around Merritt. Not saying it's related but you never know.

SSG-man
10-03-2022, 04:15 PM
Ya, let us know the outcome.
That guy needs to go for an evaluation and for sure lose his firearm privileges.

Unacceptable.

srupp
10-03-2022, 04:28 PM
hmmmm give your wife a BIG HUG..that event was not only dangerous but also criminal it must have greatly stressed her out...ensure she is O.K. the police will do their job.
srupp

KodiakHntr
10-03-2022, 04:32 PM

You have to get that mentality out of your head. This isn’t a “hunter with a gun”, this is a shitrat committing a crime with a firearm.

high horse Hal
10-03-2022, 04:46 PM
If you did, good on you for reporting the shitrat
Get the officers name and record the file number for future reference, make sure they start a file
and if the RC's do anything, there's no reason you are not still anonymous, they just have to know about the incident to add to the list

ACB
10-03-2022, 05:23 PM
Thats why it should be someone thats payed to chat with the crazies. LOL Call the cops.

TheObserver
10-03-2022, 09:10 PM
My wife was scoped by a "hunter" and had a warning shot fired in her direction before being threatened that the next one was for her, this morning after attempting to go for a walk on a mountain bike trail above Hamilton Lake. If you're going to hunt a bike trail in a popular recreation area, chances are you're going to bump into hikers and bikers so maybe your first reaction shouldn't be to shoot at people and threaten to kill them. A couple years ago my father had a crazy hunter flip out and accuse him of using his blind, until he pointed out his boot prints were different. I think there are more than a few hunters out there who need to chill out. Not everyone is trying to interfere with your hunt. In fact, if you're a decent hunter people won't even know you're there. Hunting is supposed to be an enjoyable pastime, if you're getting this worked up out there, it's time to take a break and put the guns down for a while before someone gets hurt.

Wow that is unreal man!

I would be irate, would want to hang him from a game pole nevermind a Deer.

TheObserver
10-03-2022, 09:11 PM

Judicial system is definitely a backwards joke

Jagermeister
10-03-2022, 10:18 PM
The next person up the trail may be the next to take a shot in the body. This kind of action definitely needs police intervention, NOW!

180grainer
10-03-2022, 10:28 PM
Bullshit. Tell her to report it. If you don't report it, it didn't happen. Whether you keep posting about something that didn't happen is up to you and her.

Jagermeister
10-03-2022, 10:28 PM
Didn’t read the entire thread before posting. See action was taken.

180grainer
10-03-2022, 10:46 PM
Didn’t read the entire thread before posting. See action was taken.
That's exactly what I did. thanks for posting. Actually, this is the second time that I'm doing that as I haven't verified your post. :)

M1SF1T
10-04-2022, 05:56 AM
This guy should absolutely lose his firearm and hunting rights and take a criminal charge. If he's prepared to scope and put warning shots at threats towards hikers on public land, I can imagine this guy doesn't respect much else up there.

Good luck with it all. Reporting was the right thing.

RiverOtter
10-04-2022, 10:55 AM

You have to get that mentality out of your head. This isn’t a “hunter with a gun”, this is a shitrat committing a crime with a firearm.
Gotta second Kodiak's thoughts here...

Even the worst of slob hunters wouldn't think to commit the act your poor wife endured. I'd go so far as to say that 99% of poachers, even if backed into a corner red handed, wouldn't point a rifle at another human being intentionally.

That is a whole 'nuther level' of insanity. A big thanks to you and your wife for reporting this psycho with a gun.

BULLNUTTS
10-04-2022, 11:10 AM
This guy should absolutely lose his firearm and hunting rights and take a criminal charge. If he's prepared to scope and put warning shots at threats towards hikers on public land, I can imagine this guy doesn't respect much else up there.

Good luck with it all. Reporting was the right thing.

Wow!!.... I have read this post few times, putting myself in same position of both the wife and the husband. Firstly Good on you both for reporting this crime. Secondly, follow up on the actions taken and demand something be done as lives were threatened with illegal actions in addition to just words. Be sure to not confront the shitrat as things could very easily get out of control, especially with shitrats total lack of respect for the law. I looked long and hard at what My own feelings would be had some criminal scoped and shot at my wife!! Then threatened her as well!! I think that I would be in danger of losing my bananas. That two bit hoodrat needs to be dealt with and I would remind the rcmp keep you informed as to if the lunatic is still armed ??? Next, LOTS other spots to hunt. Sucks to be pushed out the spot but with as unstable as individual sounds, best to put safety first, especially your loved ones. Still....Damed shitty hoodrats!!! Grrrrrrrrrrr!!!!

IronNoggin
10-04-2022, 01:34 PM
It's been reported

Excellent. Please let us know the outcome that follows...

Nog

Husky7mm
10-04-2022, 02:10 PM

Holy scheeit, that is down right retar-ded. Seems be a real shortage of brain cells these days. I don’t know a soul that would act like that, it hard to even fathom how brain dead that person is.