PDA

View Full Version : Going to start a hunting tradition in my family

tnttoni
10-02-2022, 09:38 AM
Please, I want some guidance, young, 18 new to hunting.

I got my Hunting license and a mule deer tag, Camo, and everything I need for camping. I want to go on a deer hunt this year on region 2 or 8 during November from around Whisler to Penticton and whatever is in-between.

I don't know how much days it takes to harvest a deer, but I have a job and I think 4 days should be enough time, I THINK don't know. Anyways what do you guys think I should do to start my passion?

Tips on how I should plan my hunt would help me so much because I'm pretty alown in this. None of my family really cares about hunting or is as passioned as I am about it.

Kill-da-wabbit
10-02-2022, 09:58 AM
Whistler to Penticton is a HUGE area. With only 4 days, I would pick an area (valley, clearcut etc.) with deer sign and spend all 4 days there hunting the edge habitat. Don't walk through the middle of clearings, stay 10m in the bush and glass the opposite side. And do not get into thinking more gear will make you a better hunter- deer see movement, whether it's blue jeans or camo. Get the book "The Still Hunter" by Theodore Van Dyke - read it, do what he says, and you will be successful. Speaking from experience as I started out the same way as you.

Sharpish
10-02-2022, 03:13 PM
4 days? It might be 4 hours, 4 days or 40 days. Or not at all.

Steelpulse
10-02-2022, 05:23 PM
As this new of a hunter it could be 5 years before you shoot something. 4 days is a short period of time when it comes to deer hunting.
As said above it could take a day. It could take 3 it could take 5 years.
I’d suggest region 8 for easier areas to hunt I think. In those 4 days just focus on having fun. See new things. See new places. Maybe see a deer. Every time you go out you’ll learn new things. Even after 30 years in the woods always building on your hunting knowledge.
good luck out there and welcome to the club

also I think you need to start with a joke still as first time poster haha.

Planer99
10-02-2022, 06:37 PM
Do yourself a favor and buy a whitetail tag as well....and good luck

boilerroom
10-02-2022, 06:40 PM
4 days? It might be 4 hours, 4 days or 40 days. Or not at all.

Definitely! Need to prepare to spend a lot of time before getting your first big game - or you might 1st day :cool:

I've learned a ton (self taught) since I started and am definitely a better hunter - still lots to learn, which is why I enjoy the challenge.

cheers,
BR

Rayne
10-02-2022, 07:00 PM
Do yourself a favour and head up north of merrit and you’ll get into deer feel free to pm me. I can point you in the right direction

HarryToolips
10-02-2022, 07:30 PM
As this new of a hunter it could be 5 years before you shoot something. 4 days is a short period of time when it comes to deer hunting.
I’d suggest region 8 for easier areas to hunt I think. In those 4 days just focus on having fun. See new things. See new places. Maybe see a deer. Every time you go out you’ll learn new things. Even after 30 years in the woods always building on your hunting knowledge.

This.....find the sign and hunt it, patience is key...

HarryToolips
10-02-2022, 07:30 PM

This.....find the sign and hunt it, patience is key...

Iron Glove
10-03-2022, 01:48 PM
Thinking that you are a Lower Mainlander / Fraser Valley guy based on your preferred areas to hunt?
As mentioned, 8 is easier access / hunting, just head out #3 and hit a few FSR's before Princeton - Blackmine for example.
Whipsaw but that gets pretty busy.
Read up beforehand on how to deal with the kill if you are so lucky.
Who knows, you might get lucky first time out, I did, maybe 15 minutes from our cabin, beautiful sunny day, was great. Trouble with that scenario is you then believe it will be that easy every time you go out. Trust me, it ain't that easy. :lol:
Good luck, enjoy the experience regardless of success.

tnttoni
10-09-2022, 08:16 AM
Yes thank you, I do believe in taking action and scouting and spending more time in the bush is way better than more gear. I'd spend that money on the gasoline for a good scout rather than more gear for sure.

And yes deer see violet colors the most, so I'll just stick with my full strata camo and OD green boots pulse gloves and a face cover to hide the sun's reflection on my face.

The Still Hunter I'm getting that.

tnttoni
10-09-2022, 08:20 AM
Thanks, I will definitely enjoy every second in the woods no matter what

tnttoni
10-09-2022, 08:22 AM
yes sir, just going to keep plugging along.

tnttoni
10-09-2022, 08:25 AM
thanks, that's far but I'm willing to go, what do you mean by pm you ?

RackStar
10-09-2022, 08:45 AM
I wouldn’t worry about what color your boots are. When I first started to hunt I killed my game in blue wool pants and a grey wool sweater. Don’t get caught up in all the high tech gear. Get some warm clothing , some good boots , a accurate gun and Sharp knife. Scout, scout, and be patient.

I started hunting like you when I was 24, no one to teach me. I’m half way through my 9th season and ive harvested 14 big game animals. Success will be determined on how dedicated and willing to learn you are. I soak up every bit of knowledge I can learn.

good luck. Pick a area within 3 hours of home and get to know your area.

Lobot Doog
10-09-2022, 12:21 PM
I wouldn’t worry about what color your boots are. When I first started to hunt I killed my game in blue wool pants and a grey wool sweater. Don’t get caught up in all the high tech gear. Get some warm clothing , some good boots , a accurate gun and Sharp knife. Scout, scout, and be patient.

I started hunting like you when I was 24, no one to teach me. I’m half way through my 9th season and ive harvested 14 big game animals. Success will be determined on how dedicated and willing to learn you are. I soak up every bit of knowledge I can learn.

good luck. Pick a area within 3 hours of home and get to know your area.

This^

I too am a self taught hunter, I went 3 years without a single big game animal. In my opinion, as with many things in life, success in hunting is directly correlated to how much you want it. If you half ass it, and expect gear to buy you a kill, you will not be successful in the long term, and more importantly you will probably lose interest. Persevere and prepare yourself mentally for it as a lifestyle and the success will come. Over the last 3 years I have shot 2 300+ inch bull elk, a bison, 3 deer and 2 bears. Don't get discouraged, when it clicks, it clicks.

Good luck.

eatram
10-09-2022, 12:29 PM
Go in october when it is open for any buck. Do yourself a favour if you are only starting out.

Bugle M In
10-09-2022, 01:21 PM
You can’t guarantee the amount of days to harvest.
What you can guarantee, is that if you have a deep passion for hunting, the j”just getting out there” is the big success!
If you are looking to reduce your grocery bill, and live in the LM, you are better off staying at home.
Not only is getting game neat consistently expensive per pound, if find my grocery bill to go hunting more than what I purchase to stay out home.
Burn more calories out there, so your going to pack more to eat and you will times of quiet and solitude more often while hunting that will make you be raching for something to snack on more then at home.

Think Pursuing MD in areas that hold decent MD vs BT will add to your success.
But then again, I haven’t chased them in decades, so someone who does from up there will have way better advice.

Enjoy the hunt.
Dont expect the harvest, as that is the cherry, not the main ingredient as to why we hunt!
Good luck