PDA

View Full Version : Snowshoe Hare Recipes?

Hugh Mann
09-25-2022, 09:00 PM
Today I was lucky enough to bag my very first hare and now I am left with a slight conundrum, I haven’t the faintest idea how to cook the bugger! I’ve never tried to cook anything remotely similar to rabbit before. I don’t suppose anyone is willing to share Grandma’s rabbit stew recipes, eh? Appreciate any input, thank you.

Treed
09-25-2022, 09:22 PM
Cacciatore! Slow and long. They are lean and tough. Rinella had a bunch of great recipe’s

https://www.themeateater.com/recipes/ingredients/rabbit

walks with deer
09-25-2022, 10:35 PM
Grind it with a onion make your burger pattie and eat a burger typically a burger or two a bunnie.

We only shoot them when theres lots there still in low cycle.. like when its good cycle we will up coolers with them and grind. Always clean and skin right away..

grantk
09-28-2022, 06:36 AM
Butter bunny is always a hit in our house. Put the meat in the Instant Pot or pressure cooker with a jar of butter chicken or vindaloo sauce from Costco and cook for 45 minutes. Had my kids screaming "MORE BUNNY!" at dinner when they were toddlers.

adriaticum
09-28-2022, 08:10 AM
Brunswick stew, or cooked with mustard vinaigrette in tinfoil.

Livewire322
09-28-2022, 08:24 AM
I cooked one up in an Indian curry and another in a Thai red-curry. The Indian curry dish was ok - the hare was fantastic in it though. I’d never cooked an Indian curry from scratch, so I just chalked it up to my inexperience. I more or less followed the MeatEater cookbook for their rabbit curry recipe.

The red curry was fantastic and the hare meat was perfect for it. Thai red curry is a staple dish in my house though, so that might’ve played into it.

I’m keen to get a few more and try them in my butter chicken recipe.

Knute
09-28-2022, 09:03 AM
Substitute hare for chicken and find a good lettuce wrap recipe, delicious.

MB_Boy
09-28-2022, 09:09 AM
I'll see if my Dad's old recipe for Rabbit Surprise is still kicking around at his house back in Wpg. We used to snare them in the winter and the Surprise recipe was my favorite.

HarryToolips
09-28-2022, 11:08 AM
Substitute hare for chicken and find a good lettuce wrap recipe, delicious.

I too find the meat similar to chicken, in both taste and texture...I have always liked making soups with snowshoe hare...

180grainer
09-28-2022, 11:37 AM
Today I was lucky enough to bag my very first hare and now I am left with a slight conundrum, I haven’t the faintest idea how to cook the bugger! I’ve never tried to cook anything remotely similar to rabbit before. I don’t suppose anyone is willing to share Grandma’s rabbit stew recipes, eh? Appreciate any input, thank you.
If it's like domestic rabbit, don't over cook it whatever you do.

180grainer
09-28-2022, 11:40 AM
Here is a wide collection of rabbit recipes. It's for domestic rabbit but I'm sure you can use wild ones as well. http://www.rudolphsrabbitranch.com/recipes2007.htm

geologist
09-28-2022, 11:19 PM
I like it sort of spanish style, slow cooked with onion, peppers, chickpeas, garlic, red wine.

tigrr
09-29-2022, 07:12 AM
Remove the meat off the spine and ribcage in what ever recipe you use. I like to debone it all. To much money spent on teeth from rabbit bones.
I just fry it in butter with salt, pepper, onion powder and garlic powder. 165 F internal temp and your good to go. I like simple recipe's.