PDA

View Full Version : Hunting pants - layering systems?

high horse Hal
09-24-2022, 09:44 AM
what are your choices ?
layering is about being able to adjust as temps or exertion rise
outer gear is always easy to switch but what about under- and base-? not so easy with boots on

Lululemon with cargo pockets ?
y-fronts with a peterheater and fanny pack?

Harvest the Land
09-24-2022, 10:34 AM
You might want to give heated long underwear a try. When you stop hiking and are stationary for a while, press a button to keep you warm. Once you start hiking again turn the heat off. Only been able to find one brand that uses wool and not plastic as the fabric. Pure gold

warnniklz
09-24-2022, 10:55 AM
I run lighter out pants (Sitka Mountain Pants, North Face Field or First Lite Corrugate Guide Lite) and then have a couple pairs of long johns that I ran zippers up the sides for easy off.

high horse Hal
09-25-2022, 06:59 AM
zip-offs , something a supply industry has failed to recognize?

J_T
09-25-2022, 07:14 AM
zip-offs , something a supply industry has failed to recognize?

Not sure I understand correctly. Kuiu sells zip off long johns.

Aaron600
09-25-2022, 08:30 AM
You might want to give heated long underwear a try. When you stop hiking and are stationary for a while, press a button to keep you warm. Once you start hiking again turn the heat off. Only been able to find one brand that uses wool and not plastic as the fabric. Pure gold

Bought the same system from Pnuma. Outstanding stuff when riding the atv in negative temps.

Jamesonm
09-26-2022, 03:44 PM
Ive always used icebreaker for layering systems.

Generalizing you can break down the products into three categories, depending on the wool count or weight of the material:

Heavy
Moderate
Light

My go-to is actually my icebreaker running tights (I haven't used my other ones much at all anymore as they work so well) and just throwing a pair of lightweight shorts over them. If it starts raining or getting cold Ill throw my outer layer on (firstlite stormtight -- live on southern vancouver island and they've worked well for me). They have zippered legs to throw em on and off quickly.

I bet a guy could get away with a set of lightweight base layers and some nice puffy pants as a mid layer if it gets too cold. And then of course your outer layer to keep out moisture. I wouldnt go out and buy a heavy base layer anymore (plus they're expensive), there's just too many options for good mid layers. Ive heard really good things about the FL uncompahgre pants.

What did you end up going with?

MichelD
09-26-2022, 03:53 PM
This might not be much help as they are hard to find, but I have found that the old Canadian forces dress pants are dandy hunting pants. Dark green polyester wool blend, warm, tough and even moderately water resistant. Snow just brushes off them. I've worn them to -10 without long underwear.

I got my first pair 30 years ago at the surplus store near the Chiliwack base and they still fit me too. Popped in to Broadway Surplus a couple of years ago and I'll be damned if I found the only pair they had in the store and they fit even better than the first pair.

And they have a stylish permanent crease too!:grin:

badhottop
09-26-2022, 04:01 PM
icebraker or uniqlo baselayer.
fleece or thiner jacket as mid layer.
waterproof parka outside.

Hugh Mann
09-26-2022, 04:54 PM
Icebreaker or some other marino wool base layer.

My current pants are Badlands Ion in their Approach pattern. Lightweight and water resistant.

high horse Hal
09-27-2022, 09:44 AM
Have had lots of warm days with frosty starts
so far its been microtex pants with either a w/p fleece outer or two pair of microtex, the 38s with 42s overtop
Once the frost stays or snow on the ground the longjohns and wool pants come out

interesting to hear solutions, for so long the layering idea has been easy for shirts/tops but its not so easy to peel off the underlayers of leg coverings and still carry the normal stuff

ps glad to see cabelas.com has brought back the microtex!

mod7rem
09-27-2022, 02:42 PM
For early and mid season, I like Kuiu Attack pants with light to mid weight full side zip longjohns if needed. Merino next to the skin, and a fleece pair on top of that.
For winter conditions I used to wear heavy wool pants, but the last few years I’ve discovered that I prefer a pant like the Attack pant or Guide pant with under layers. The two main reasons are this is a lighter weight more mobile option. And also I don’t have to deal with rock hard frozen wool pants anymore as they soak up moisture.

Squamch
09-28-2022, 05:42 AM
I have first light....corrugate? pants. If it's REALLY cold, I'll put on a thin set of long johns. If it's raining, sitka rain pants. Not the top of the line most gnarly ones, one level down so they still have a brushed face. They're full length zip too, so easy on/off.