PDA

View Full Version : Tire chains, who keeps them in their truck?

geologist
09-09-2022, 11:33 PM
I keep two sets of Crappy Tire diamond pattern chains in my truck when I go to work around Jade City.

They sure feel lighter duty than my old Lordco v pick ladder chains but I guess that's progress.........

Anyone else keep a set or two fir when things get really bad?

Ron.C
09-10-2022, 06:49 AM
I carry my Vbars all the time

justachip
09-10-2022, 07:18 AM
In the truck as soon as fall comes

Harvest the Land
09-10-2022, 08:19 AM
Just started carrying them last year. Will always be in the basement of my camper once there's a potential for snow. Didn't find the Canadian tire options to be very suitable for my 1 ton. Good idea to carry a good set just in case

Dannybuoy
09-10-2022, 08:24 AM
I used to carry a set or 2 of v bar chains and they came in handy coming down some icy roads . Now I use ATV so chains aren't needed but I will pack them if I think I may need them

digger dogger
09-10-2022, 08:57 AM
Wesco in Langely has a great selection of tire chains. They make chains for the logging & trucking industry too.
Way cheaper than Lordco.

whitlers
09-10-2022, 09:28 AM
Vbar chains in the truck anytime I leave the valley from Oct - March. Used them in a pickle a few times and was glad I didn't leave them behind.

warnniklz
09-10-2022, 10:00 AM
I may have packed a set once... but not usually

Chopper333
09-10-2022, 03:21 PM
2 sets of V-Bar. Part of my off road kit that goes in my truck in September and comes out in the spring. Chains can help in shitty mud too.

high horse Hal
09-10-2022, 03:36 PM
On the list of 'have them and never need them' items
but leave them at home once ..........

Squamch
09-10-2022, 04:21 PM
Yep, I run em a fair bit.

250 sav
09-10-2022, 05:44 PM
1 set always in the truck 2 sets in the winter

mike31154
09-10-2022, 06:04 PM
Yeap, no brainer for me when the snow flies. I even use 'em on occasion.

https://dsm01pap004files.storage.live.com/y4mRxb7-jtpLX-r3bA8b7HClrT7BvvkwKDx_oRabc9Nu-ygPxQrzWmJBhj2zlUY0bcucqXytcPzcBk5ItG4PuZ67Z64Ne9Q ZHRf3ljzctUlj1Y9c0xYdnh_3rHOzhOIfhKJruOw-jm3tzPtZB8Uai0U39owDXy1JYxWQe4SqSebXoM?width=1024&height=583&cropmode=none

... and yeap on the old Hilux Surf...

https://dsm01pap004files.storage.live.com/y4mDAykeLM6-1DM0eZPdVxZ6HyOb5CnunWTdCeXKWEd8YVqltve4TOReVb1MXw Yn-F5-DfgGmWGISDqk487M9M6OLhQZBCnXfvE7k6reJN3rVFJSZJOZ0s UoM1gtd77dTafJG7DvifnTVSZu5NV5m6ivVN0RWV3ppawoJClx jkWcn3pVXF4LHDWai_wC_vqJ8M-?width=1024&height=768&cropmode=none

Shoulda put them on before backing into here. Almost ended up in a deep hole. Took me an hour of digging before I had enough confidence to try ekeing her out... Good thing the ground wasn't completely frozen as I only had a small polymer avalanche shovel to dig with.

https://dsm01pap004files.storage.live.com/y4mFVijuwzBLYBezSrI7pIpUPUXWZBzYu8zeq9qN1nDoB-VMbswg0brh3eOMLpmL104LkePs9f7svPhaouhm2AcZ85w9JnAs ynbjuViFN77WmVWAWQAw62H-eP-aUMBb8TuiqxPj6Jyg-4jNilfyTUdPjp90_xTEkhuUSnDFjCKw5d3v6aS8rPL7fRz-T_EYEMc?width=1024&height=768&cropmode=none

ActionJackson017
09-10-2022, 07:54 PM
Speaking of chains - question for you guys. I bought VBars according to the size chart and carry them in my truck but have yet to use them. I put them on my truck in the driveway and they seem a bit too big, like a few links should be cut off. How do you guys size them before you put them on your truck? I dont want extra chain swinging around and whipping the shit out of my truck.

scoutlt1
09-10-2022, 08:02 PM
Speaking of chains - question for you guys. I bought VBars according to the size chart and carry them in my truck but have yet to use them. I put them on my truck in the driveway and they seem a bit too big, like a few links should be cut off. How do you guys size them before you put them on your truck? I dont want extra chain swinging around and whipping the shit out of my truck.

I bought the size to fit my tires from Wesco. Used them a number of times last winter. Worked great!
Most likely there will be "extra" links, but I use a snap hook (there's other names for them), to avoid the links swinging around.

Shoot me a PM if you want to go through it..

CranePete
09-10-2022, 08:12 PM
I like trigs, very aggressive. Tighten the inside first, make adjustments on the outside. Use quick links and bungee cords to take out the slack. If you must trim, leave 4-5 links as a tail. I carry 2 sets.

Everett
09-10-2022, 09:02 PM
Haven't used any on my own trucks since I got out of the army 30 years ago. But I always have a bunch in the shed to lend out to friends.

igojuone
09-10-2022, 09:34 PM

And they will stretch as well when you run them so you'll always need to tighten them and over time need to shorten them. For that your going to need a set of chain pliers. The extra length of chain links can be dealt with by running the boomer through them so they aren't whipping around and beating the hell out of your truck or tearing a brake line off.
Lots of time you think you've gotten them tight but just drive a short distance and retighten them and keep your speed down, they're not made to run fast, 40 kms max or you'll be buying new tires for the drive home.

Dannybuoy
09-10-2022, 10:09 PM
Interesting mike . I always put chains on the front first ... only on the back if in a 2wd or if on all 4 .

high horse Hal
09-11-2022, 07:27 AM
Have never chained the front, rear has 2wd ing so thats better than one up front
plus for me steering has never been the issue

Adjust the crosslink spacing so the chains can be put on over top and cinched without having to role the vehicle onto the chain

bcsteve
09-11-2022, 08:19 AM
I bought mine at Weco as well based on their size chart as well. And just like you, when I tried them out in the driveway they were too big. Brought them back to trade to trade for a smaller size but instead the guy fitted them to my truck, cut the extra links, took a cross bar out and now they fit perfectly. He gave me back the extra crossbars and links in case they ever need to be reinstalled. Great service.

ian745
09-11-2022, 08:29 AM
i usually do but this thread just reminded me i dont have any for my new truck haha, off to shopping for them i go..lol

grantk
09-11-2022, 08:46 AM
If you're in Kamloops, PG, or Langley check out Morfco for chains. Chains are their specialty.

jlirot
09-11-2022, 09:36 AM
I bought mine at Weco as well based on their size chart as well. And just like you, when I tried them out in the driveway they were too big. Brought them back to trade to trade for a smaller size but instead the guy fitted them to my truck, cut the extra links, took a cross bar out and now they fit perfectly. He gave me back the extra crossbars and links in case they ever need to be reinstalled. Great service.

When I bought mine at Wesco the guy put them on for me - showed me how to adjust them etc. Amazing service for a $200 product. I will buy my next set from them as well.

THe fella there suggested driving up on a block of 4x4 to put them on. Then you don't have to finaggle around with moving and adjusting. Pretty slick.

ACB
09-11-2022, 10:45 AM
They're always in the truck, have saved me from a long walk out more than once.

wallz
09-12-2022, 11:53 AM
I've had mine in the truck for 2 years now, still new in the bags. Was thinking to leave them at home for the next 2 weeks, as I they keep getting in the way. I know how that works tho, So I may just have to find a better place to put them in the truck.

Will be rolling the SXS, so not too worried, and only 15 km off the hwy. Even have a set for the SXS, just in case is gets nasty out, again unused so far. I know overkill, but the tires do not grip in the ice at all, and it can get ugly sometimes the places you try and go.

REMINGTON JIM
09-12-2022, 02:08 PM
Wallz- you be a Happy Guy when the day comes and you NEED and use them ! :smile: RJ

stinkyduck
09-12-2022, 07:45 PM
Buy cam lock chains,so easy to tighten up. Also i would bring plastic zap straps to tie up loose ends.

REMINGTON JIM
09-12-2022, 07:58 PM
Yea I have Cam Lock chains they tighten up Well !

TeeVee
09-12-2022, 08:18 PM
Always carry them, be sure you pack lots of quick links if you're running different sized summer and winter tires.
And also bunjee cords

wallz
09-13-2022, 08:37 AM
Wallz- you be a Happy Guy when the day comes and you NEED and use them ! :smile: RJ

Oooo, I know, it is just a matter of time. I know I could have used them years ago, but never owned a set years ago.

Have come close to needing them a few times, but was able to weasel out without the need to install.

I now also carry a few tree hugger straps and a few hundred ft of decent dynema rope and a fancy new roller snatch ring teamed up with some rope shackles. All sitting new, in the truck, just waiting for that day. My truck runs 8000 lbs, so the rope has to be skookum.

Always a good idea to run some recovery gear, even when you are alone. Never know when someone will come by, much less rely on them having the right gear to get you out.

scoutlt1
09-13-2022, 06:54 PM
All I can say is that I'm very glad I bought a set of v-bar chains for my truck last fall. Winter driving to my place in Horsefly had its challenges for sure! There were a few times the roads near home were sheer ice (really bad according to locals I talked to), and would have not been good without chains.

They will always travel with me in winter. In a bucket, lots of bungee cords etc....and at least one extra cam wrench. Dropped one in the snow (found it after a bit), but tied some flagging tape to both after that just in case..good to have the "star bungee" for the chains as well. Tightens things up nicely IMO.

Just to add...I have a set for my little JD tractor. A huge help plowing the "driveway"..

M.