PDA

View Full Version : 5-15 zone A moose LEH

andrew5
09-08-2022, 09:22 PM
Hi all,

I have been bus e scouting this area heavily, and am planning on being up there September 30th - October 9th.

No shortage of areas that look interesting based on the Google Earth, but I am wondering if anyone has had this tag recently or spent time in the area, and would be willing to let me know if I am on the right track in terms of where I am thinking about focusing on.

it also seems to be different from the north of the zone to the south. wondering if any half would be better than the other to focus on.

I have read in prior posts that the moose may be higher up than anticipated, especially if the warm weather persists.

any tips on good rec sites to look at would be great as well. right now, I'm looking at Pendleton and no name lake rec sites in the south end, as they seem to be right in the thick of it. Crooked lake will likely be busy. Bosk lake might be an option.

This will be my first time in the area and only my fourth year hunting, so any experience willing to be shared is much appreciated.

I will be sure to share the post hunt breakdown with pictures (hopefully of my first moose) on here as well.

Thank you and good luck on the season to all,

Andrew

kolofardos
09-08-2022, 11:57 PM
Hi all,

I have been bus e scouting this area heavily, and am planning on being up there September 30th - October 9th.

No shortage of areas that look interesting based on the Google Earth, but I am wondering if anyone has had this tag recently or spent time in the area, and would be willing to let me know if I am on the right track in terms of where I am thinking about focusing on.

it also seems to be different from the north of the zone to the south. wondering if any half would be better than the other to focus on.

I have read in prior posts that the moose may be higher up than anticipated, especially if the warm weather persists.

any tips on good rec sites to look at would be great as well. right now, I'm looking at Pendleton and no name lake rec sites in the south end, as they seem to be right in the thick of it. Crooked lake will likely be busy. Bosk lake might be an option.

This will be my first time in the area and only my fourth year hunting, so any experience willing to be shared is much appreciated.

I will be sure to share the post hunt breakdown with pictures (hopefully of my first moose) on here as well.

Thank you and good luck on the season to all,

Andrew
Had that draw 5 years back and got our bull on the 4th day. Bosk Lake was a great place to camp, and we had friends staying at Crooked Lake, which also was a nice site (both free).

srupp
09-09-2022, 12:07 AM
HMM good place decent moose..great draw timing....looking forward to photos...
srupp

wallz
09-09-2022, 11:00 AM
I was just up in region 7 for a scouting trip on the long weekend for our tag out there. Last 2 weeks of Sept is the go for real. I know this doesn't help you much, but the comment about "up high" is what caught my attention.

I found more sign down lower to mid altitude in the valleys than up higher. Yes it was more than just fresh tracks, as it was a lot of scrapes. Saw one moose, well the back side of one anyways. Covered enough ground to know it is several bulls in the area. That said the sign I saw up high would point directly to the big boys. Not necessarily what we are after, as it is more a meat hunt, but I would never turn one away.

DesiMunda
09-09-2022, 01:26 PM
I had the same draw last year (5-15 Zone C)and the end of the day I was unsuccessful. I had time to scout the area two months prior and got a lot of good feedback from the locals and picked out my camping spot as well. When the time came, there were three other groups with the same draw in the same campsite.

Some of the challenges I faced, immediate competition with not a lot of campsite options, active logging at various locations, smouldering burn piles all over the place and I could have used a boat for going up and down the river.

Spotted a moose on day seven, and everyone had their eye on it…….the only successful group was the one with a boat and they took him in the early morning of day eight feeding on the side of the river. They shot him right from the boat.

I hope you are going with a group of 3-4 as you’ll need the man power, prepare for the terrain as it was difficult to maneuver in the thicket at rivers edge, hope you have a boat (12-14 ft aluminum) and the weather changes frequently and it can get cold and wet real quick.

Some advice, since there is no cell coverage in the area please invest in a satellite communicator to keep in touch with family. Just for this trip I purchase a Zoleo.

Yes I was unsuccessful, but the experience was very valuable. Good luck and stay safe!