PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts/observations on Elk scents

TheObserver
09-07-2022, 03:50 PM
Okay guys,

I'm heading out tomorrow morning for my first Elk hunt, just wondering if you guys use/have used Elk scent?

I have real cow Elk estrous urine scent wayne carlton's brand.

If you guys have used it or other Elk scents did you feel it helped?

I have wicks I can tie it to my boot or around a tree infront of a cam or infront of a wallow, wherever.

Thanks in advance

HarryToolips
09-07-2022, 08:43 PM
I've used them and I'm sure they help but if the wind is wrong, an elk will smell you anyway in my experience..

I'm also a little apprehensive about the scents when I'm in major grizzly habitat, but maybe I'm being a little too careful?

Bugle M In
09-07-2022, 09:14 PM
As stated above, wind blows their way your scent and your elk scent will both be noticed, thus no benefit.
Now, if you put scent way down from we’re you might be sitting in a blind, in areas you think elk might come, I think it does help.

2chodi
09-07-2022, 10:49 PM
It sounds like the scent you are using is prohibited in BC if it actually contained animal derivatives.

51. To use, for the purpose of hunting wildlife, any part or derivative of a deer, elk, moose or caribou if the part or derivative originated from outside British Columbia.

TheObserver
09-07-2022, 11:40 PM
I went through this last year with Doe estrous and could only find synthetic almost everywhere I went not knowing why, until I finally located some real not synthetic and it was produced in Canada, i'm guessing BC. Now I know why.

Why would they even allow it to come into BC and be sold at a massive distributer like basspro if it is a prohibited substance..... kind of f*****g retarted no? Like if it was such a big deal wouldn't they not let it in this country/province, let a lone be sold and distributed en masse in this province?

If they don't want it used then maybe they shouldn't allow it to be sold.

TheObserver
09-07-2022, 11:43 PM
But then again look at some of the other wildlife policies made by the powers that shouldn't be, maybe it's not so r*****ed after all

Nothing quite like the policy makers making you waste your money, not like we throw away enough on gas food insurance inflation and everything else we get absolutely robbed for

Bugle M In
09-07-2022, 11:55 PM
Yes, some of the good scents are banned now anyways.
I used to use one from the US.
I had a cow moose that just didn’t know what to do while she had a bull on her ass.
She could see me 15 ft away, but the scent must have confused her.
I think she was trying to ditch the bull in me!!!
I was scenting up the river area for about a 400 yard stretch every 30 or so yards.