PDA

View Full Version : Moose region 6 !! Dease lake?

Regg1235
09-07-2022, 10:21 AM
Hey guys ! My 2 brothers and I are heading for a moose hunt this year into region 6. That past couple years we have gone to region 5 on a draw un successfully :( tag soup is starting to hurt haha! Anyways we’re going to do the Long haul from Vancouver island this year up into region 6 around dease lake we were thinking . Any tips or just some help to point us in the right direction would be very much appreciated , none of
us have been up there before so we’re flying blind ! Again any help is much appreciated!!!

sed8ed
09-07-2022, 11:47 AM
Be prepared for it to be busy... Been getting busier and busier every season and now with the moose closure in region 7b it's going to be packed. Be prepared to hike away from the roads and be mindful of the 400m no hunting/shooting closures. When are you planning on going?

steelheadSABO
09-07-2022, 12:23 PM
There’s lots of big bears around there

hawk-i
09-07-2022, 03:06 PM
I've been up there twice this year for 3 days each time...only seen 3 cows and lots of wolf sign, some black bears and a huge grizzly.

Had a wolf come right into camp at 2:30 in the afternoon chasing a calf moose on Sunday

TheObserver
09-07-2022, 04:00 PM
I've been up there twice this year for 3 days each time...only seen 3 cows and lots of wolf sign, some black bears and a huge grizzly.

Had a wolf come right into camp at 2:30 in the afternoon chasing a calf moose on Sunday

Did you happen to get a shot at the wolf? There is no closure/NBL up there I believe right?

hawk-i
09-07-2022, 05:05 PM
Did you happen to get a shot at the wolf? There is no closure/NBL up there I believe right?

No, I didn't have my gun handy at the time.

TheObserver
09-07-2022, 06:59 PM
No, I didn't have my gun handy at the time.

Ahhh sh***y man! Thinking about going on Wolf only hunts this winter.

Regg1235
09-08-2022, 07:16 AM
We were planning on heading up for the end of oct I figure it’ll be busy but where isn’t ! Lol , I’ve got good legs a quad and a boat nothing fancy but enough to get away I’m hopeing. Really just hoping someone will point me in the right direction to fill my freezer this year !! Thx guys very
Much appreciated

high horse Hal
09-08-2022, 09:22 AM
End of October could be a good time to go, most of the traffic will have gone home
leaves will have dropped and you should have some snow for tracking
The rut will have passed and bulls will be lazy but they still have to eat
So glass the hillsides til your eyes drop out cuz you may only get a quick glimpse of a bull as he stands in his bed for a stretch and a snack
but when you see horn he will be right there when you get there........most times.......

notahypocrite
09-08-2022, 11:00 AM
Be prepared for it to be busy... Been getting busier and busier every season and now with the moose closure in region 7b it's going to be packed. Be prepared to hike away from the roads and be mindful of the 400m no hunting/shooting closures. When are you planning on going?

I thought if i seen a rabbit in the ditch of the side of any service road that i was allowed to shoot because i am legally hunting and not recreationally shooting. that I dont have to be 400m away from any service road. All i should worry about it shooting point and beyond.

S.W.A.T.
09-08-2022, 11:44 AM
I thought if i seen a rabbit in the ditch of the side of any service road that i was allowed to shoot because i am legally hunting and not recreationally shooting. that I dont have to be 400m away from any service road. All i should worry about it shooting point and beyond.

In BC there is NO SHOOTING WITH IN 400M OF A NUMBERED HWY. Hunting or not.

Service roads are not numbered hwy's

high horse Hal
09-08-2022, 12:12 PM
In BC there is NO SHOOTING WITH IN 400M OF A NUMBERED HWY. Hunting or not.........Bull.........

S.W.A.T.
09-08-2022, 03:53 PM
Bull.........

Page 10 of the regs, maybe someone knows how to post them better

HIGHWAY NO SHOOTING OR HUNTING AREAS» It is unlawful to discharge a firearm across or to discharge a firearm or hunt within the road allowances of all numbered highways and any two lane or greater public road in B.C. that is maintained by the Ministry of Transportation and Infrastructure (or their contractors), the federal government or another province or territory. The road allowance extends: (a) 15 m on either side of the middle of a road with less than three lanes, or (b) 15 m from the edge of the paved surface of a highway with three lanes or more, or (c) to the boundary of private or cultivated land, whichever comes first.» These restrictions address safety concerns that have been expressed by many residents living in previously unrestricted rural areas. Use common sense and if in doubt, don’t shoot!NOTE: Other closures that may be more restrictive on some highways or roads are listed in the next columns or under the Regional Schedules.Hwy 99 No Shooting Area» The discharge of firearms is prohibited within 400 m west of the road allowance and 1 km east of the road allowance of Hwy 99 between the northern boundary of the District Municipality of West Vancouver and the Southern Boundary of the District Municipality of Squamish.

Several major or heavily populated routes in the province have an additional 400 m area bordering the road allowance in which the discharge of a firearm using a single projectile is prohibited. The discharge of a shotgun using shot only is permitted. » The discharge of a firearm using a single projectile is prohibited within 400 m (1/4 mile) on either side of the road allowance of following portions of the highways and roads in British Columbia listed below:Hwy 5 (Coquihalla Highway) between Hope and the junction of Hwys 1 and 5 at Kamloops;Hwy 6 between Bench Cr. and Banting Cr.;Hwy 16 between the boundary of the City of Prince Rupert and the British Columbia - Alberta interprovincial boundary;Hwy 27 from the junction with Route 16 (Yellowhead) west of Vanderhoof to Fort St. James;Hwy 29 between the intersection of Hwy 29 with Hwy 97 in the vicinity of the Village of Chetwynd and the intersection of Hwy 29 with Hwy 97 in the vicinity of Charlie Lake, Peace River Land District;NOTE: Sections of Hwy 29 are being realigned between Hudson's Hope and Charlie Lake as part of the Site C project. The 400 m single projectile (firearm) prohibited areas applies to the current highway alignment and the sections currently under construction.Hwy 35 between Francois and Burns Lake;Hwy 37 between the intersection of Hwy 37 with Hwy 16 and the boundary of the District of Kitimat;Hwy 37 between the Skeena River Bridge at Kitwanga Post Office, Cassiar Land District, and the intersection with the Yukon border;Hwy 37A between the intersection of said highway and Hwy 37 at Meziadin Junction and the boundary of the District of Stewart at Bitter Creek;