PDA

View Full Version : deer shotgunners

Sikanni Stalker
11-26-2007, 07:27 PM
You folks that hunt deer with a shotgun can maybe shed alittle light.......I have shot deer witha rifle and always in the bread basket, when you guys are using buckshot do you still shoot there or do you head shoot them? If you shoot the bread basket doesn't some of the pellets tear into the stomach?

Don't laugh out too loudly, I have never hunted deer with a shotgun. Maybe just slugs is the way to go?

TIA

FLHTCUI
11-27-2007, 08:59 AM
Well Sikanni, I never never shot a deer witha shotgun myself either , but I do know enough that I would pattern my scatter gunwith the intened ammo I was going to use and also with the choke of chose for said ammo.
Having said that get a couple of larger boxes and draw a circle of a min.24 inches in diameter and pace out 30 yrds, 40 yrds and 50 yrds.
At those ranges you should be able to hit the boxes then count the number of pellets in each of the circles.( the rounds you choose will tell how many pellets in each )
This should give you an idea of where to aim on your next Mule deer or Blacktail.
Just my .02 worth and if anyone can add please feel free and wade in.
either that of just shoot the bugger in the head.

OOBuck
11-27-2007, 09:24 AM
Hey, I have been hunting deer for years with a shot gun.. That said
here's what I have learned about it.

I have tried almost every shot known to man, I use to swear by federal copper coated 00buck but now prefer just off the self cheapy 000buck seems to have a little more knock down power. Keep in mind I shoot a 12 gauge 30" barrel 870 that will only chamber 2-3/4 rounds. I might suggest looking at something like the new 3 1/2" mag shot guns as they will definitely have a bigger knock down potential, I didn't I could imagine pulling the trigger on one just they would have a bigger kabang!:-D

I aim for the nose or slightly in front, my thoughts and witnessing are that as the shot spreads that pattern will catch the deer in the neck or head. I have actually watched shot hit the deer in this pattern before, quite something to see. Note I have also seen shot completely surround a deer blowing leaves off trees and kicking up dirt without so much as a single hit ( key note to self to far of a distance) maximum yardage I would suggest is 30 nothing more..

I can say honestly say i have killed more deer with a shot gun than a rifle, once you become proficient at it, it's a lot of fun. I hunt in both a shot only and rifle area so I always make sure I carry a few slugs as well.

I have been thinking of an over/under combo or just a new 3 1/2" mag shooter, hummm Merry Christmas to me!!! :lol:

The Hermit
11-27-2007, 10:02 AM
I shot a beauty 4X3 a couple years ago with my 3 1/2" Mag Mossberg with 00buckshot at 50 - 60 feet. He was standing head on looking at me. aimed just below his nose... one pellet in the neck and one thru the chest. He dropped on the spot like a sack of potatoes!

I also fired four rounds from my Remington Wingmaster 16 guage at 25 yards and the pellets bounced off him! LOL that was the last time with the 16 gauge... I figure a guy would need to be like 10 feet away...

Cedarstrip
11-27-2007, 11:01 AM
00Buck is the standard I think. Where we are, slugs are forbidden as they classify as a 'single projectile' - same as a rifle. The post at the top has the right idea. Take some practice shots from different distances and learn the spread pattern of your gun/shot. Chances of spoiling a bit more meat with a shotgun is higher, but you generally can only use a shotgun in areas where you will be up close an personal anyways. Go for a head & neck shot if you can.

boxhitch
11-27-2007, 09:48 PM
I use to swear by federal copper coated 00buck but now prefer just off the self cheapy 000buck seems to have a little more knock down power. Keep in mind I shoot a 12 gauge 30" barrel 870 that will only chamber 2-3/4 rounds. Holy long pole, batman.
Do you use a 30" by choice or because its what ya' got ? No need for all that iron.

FLHTCUI
11-27-2007, 09:52 PM
I would think thats all he has, as he did mention it was a 2-3/4 inch chamber.
The older guns only came in 30 inch and longer if memory serves me correct.
Why change something that aint broke? I know I have regretted selling a few of my firearms that worked great for me , but sold them because something looked better.
Rob

OOBuck
11-27-2007, 10:02 PM
Holy long pole, batman.
Do you use a 30" by choice or because its what ya' got ? No need for all that iron.

I personally like using a longer barrel, I could get away with a 28" but it's
what I had at the time and have grown to like.. I couldn't begin to count the number of deer I have killed with that gun over the years.

islandstalker
11-27-2007, 10:36 PM
i went out and bought a bunch of different ammo 000 / 00 and different lengths, and just went out and shot them all from different ranges. used some cardboard to check the spread tried a couple different chokes too. was surprised how tight the patterns were . i'm shooting a benelli nova , i settled on a 3-1/2 magnum 00 buck.
just need to get one to stand still long enough for me to use it.

000buck
11-27-2007, 10:52 PM
i hunt with 00buck the guy not the ammo i use 3" federal 000 buck myself ,cheap and nasty shoot from a mavrick (mossberg 500 copy with a 28 inch mod choke barrel and also a norinco knock off of a rem 870 with a 28 barrel and mod choke) have to agree with oobuck aim just in front of the nose .... bang flop every time.

hunter1947
11-28-2007, 05:39 AM
When i hunt with a shotgun i go for the head when i shoot ,i use a double O shot.

boxhitch
11-28-2007, 10:15 AM
The older guns only came in 30 inch and longer if memory serves me correct.
They had various lengths, depending on the discipline. Remm offered the 20" Deer tube, smooth or rifled, with iron sights.

Ajsawden
11-28-2007, 10:26 AM
when you guys say aim in front of the nose are you refering to a broadside shot? How many pellets usually hit the mark? i hunt with shotgun, but i always aim the the vitals to be safe. I've never had a problem with meat damage.

Sikanni Stalker
11-28-2007, 10:28 PM
Wow,thanks all. I have never done it yet but I will give the old college try next year. I have a winchester 1300 and it shoots 2 3/4 and 3 so I will play with it this winter and see how it patterns. I'll try it out next year.

thanks again