PDA

View Full Version : close call on a hog!!!

lightmag
11-26-2007, 12:25 PM
Well seen the biggest mulie to date and he never gave us an opportunity!!

Hunted all day in a snow storm, seeing nothing, left our area around 11:30 to head home. Decide to pull off the highway to check a logging area seen from the highway, pull off the highway, drive 1/2 mile down the road (seat belt still on) come around a corner and BAM!! hog mulie (30" atleast) trotting down the road 40 yards in front of me, hit brakes, slide do to new snow, grabbing rifle, hitting brakes and jumping out all at he same time, deer jumps into timber before we even exit truck, stalk up to entry point, quick glimps of huge body bonding off, track in new snow for 2km, never to be seen again!! even hunted the area below and around for an hour with no sign!! Mulie fever is worse than ever and i'm back out tomorrow morning try again!!

Ah, feel better now, venting helps, lol..

BCrams
11-26-2007, 12:26 PM
Need some help bagging that guy :)

Brambles
11-26-2007, 12:53 PM
Go and kill em,

did you get a look at the rack, typical or non-typcial? good forks? Brows?

Now you know where he is, of course he could be 25 kms away by now but you know where you last seen his track, pick it up and keep on it.

Mr. Dean
11-26-2007, 12:59 PM
Bin there dun that.... GOOD LUCK, GO GIT EM!

lightmag
11-26-2007, 01:48 PM
4X4, tall with deep splits!! 28" plus wide, looked taller than wide, huge body!! looked like a small moose on the road!! Beautiful typical buck!! easliy 180+!!

hunter1947
11-26-2007, 05:51 PM
Keep on top of it lightmag ,you just might get another pock at him ,good luck tomorrow.

BlacktailStalker
11-26-2007, 05:55 PM
I thought he was 30" or better ??
If he's only 28", let him walk, he'll be bigger next year.
I'll put you on some 18" blacktails if you want lol

358mag
11-26-2007, 09:05 PM
dumb ones get shot ,smart ones run again and do the breeding

boonerbuck
11-26-2007, 10:59 PM
Wow, that gets the heart pumping!!

I had to let a big one walk tonight myself.

I was heading to my area this afternoon and I spot a group of does on a hillside and a big 5x4 walks out. I try and remember how close the nearest farm is and I think it's around the corner. I take the truck around and sure enough a house. It may be legal distance and with a hill between but I'm unsure with the angle. I drive back and consider it all and choose to drive away rather than sneak in for the shot. Another one leaves the fields nearby and he's a young 4 point. He runs back into the private land when he sees me but he was on the tail of those hot does too.

I will return with a bow instead but have to work a couple of days first. Dammit. I want to be there in the morning.:eek:

Good luck on that big buck!;)

lightmag
11-27-2007, 04:43 PM
passed up a dink buck today, 4x3, tiny splits, barley legal, only day i have left to hunt is the last day, friday!!! one last kick at it before depression of the season being over sets in!!