PDA

View Full Version : New hunter - the more I scout, the more questions I have

nagetivekl
08-29-2022, 11:24 PM
Hi guys,

Short version:

I'm pretty new to hunting, tried my best to explore and scout, but I am feeling anxious about if I've been looking at the right places. I ve been trying to explore a wide range of terrain just to get a feel of different regions, but after a couple thousand kms in the mountains I feel kind of overwhelmed, there are just so much I do not know about.

I've seen more deer higher up in the mountains around the cut blocks but maybe that's because im scouting in the summer? I feel some lower altitude areas are sweat with some open grassland and more well spaced trees but the deer don't seem to be there, are they just not there YET? or am i just in the wrong place? why are there cows in the middle of nowhere lol??

Ive been to burn areas, do deer actually go there with so little cover? What kind of altitude should i be expecting them in Sep? Oct? Nov? Should i even try to hunt Sep in lower altitude areas or are they all still up there in the thick mountain bush?

I ve learned a lot by going into the mountains, but I always come back with more questions.

Longer version:

When I got my hunting license back in Apr I felt that hunting season is too far away. Now I wish I had more time to prepare. I didn't get to spend as many days on logging roads as i wanted to, but between work and the borderline prohibitive fuel prices I went out as much as i could.

At the beginning of this year I decided to learn to hunt. The lockdowns and working from home for the past two and half years made me feel that I simply need to spend part of my time away from LML and try something new. Since I have spent pretty much all my life in large cities, and no one in my social circle hunts, it has been challenging to learn. It is particularly difficult to determine where should I be hunting. Now I fully understand that hunting is not all that viable with a crowd, thus of course no one want to advertise where they hunt, but it does feel so very lost when I open google maps and see the vast wilderness we have in BC.

I'd like to think that I have pushed through some of those barriers by pretty much just keep going at it. I ve met some people whos also new to hunting, I ve went out to region 3 and 5 as much as i could, and I ve put together some gear, ive read everything i could find on the internet about the areas im interested in. But I have no idea if I ll find anything in a couple of weeks when hunting season opens.

If anyone can give me some pointers for 5-3 and 5-14 (I ve decided to commit the rest of my time this year around there) that ll be greatly appreciated. I've spent a couple days exploring these areas, but there are just so much land to cover. If anyone who knows these lands is willing to answer some more specific questions please send me a pm, I promise to bring you some beer the next time I'm in the area lol.

If any other LML newbie wants to team up for hunting trips, explore various areas, or exchange information, feel free to drop me a pm too.

Nag

oddsix
08-30-2022, 06:15 AM
Certainly no expert here, but i'll bite...

Hi guys,

Short version:

I'm pretty new to hunting, tried my best to explore and scout, but I am feeling anxious about if I've been looking at the right places. I ve been trying to explore a wide range of terrain just to get a feel of different regions, but after a couple thousand kms in the mountains I feel kind of overwhelmed, there are just so much I do not know about.

I've seen more deer higher up in the mountains around the cut blocks but maybe that's because im scouting in the summer? I feel some lower altitude areas are sweat with some open grassland and more well spaced trees but the deer don't seem to be there, are they just not there YET? or am i just in the wrong place? why are there cows in the middle of nowhere lol??

1)Many deer are higher up through out the summer months. Some lower altitude area may be sweet later in the season, depending on migration routes/winter ranges. Careful with getting to drawn to large open grassland and sparse bush. Yes, they can be there but generally they stick close to cover. Their location can be somewhat predictable depending on time of day; feeding areas dusk to dawn and bedding areas during the day.

Ive been to burn areas, do deer actually go there with so little cover? What kind of altitude should i be expecting them in Sep? Oct? Nov? Should i even try to hunt Sep in lower altitude areas or are they all still up there in the thick mountain bush?

Yes, they go in burn areas. Tons of info on mule deer in burns on various podcasts. Some good hunting to be had a few years after a fire rolls through. Certain lower elevation areas will hold "resident" deer year round but generally speaking, they are up high in Sept and drop down as the season progresses. Largely dependent on weather/snow levels.

I ve learned a lot by going into the mountains, but I always come back with more questions

That's what keeps a guy coming back. As for learning, tons of articles, books, podcasts, threads to read/listen too but nothing replaces time in the bush (driving, hiking, glassing, observing). So keep at it.

Longer version:

When I got my hunting license back in Apr I felt that hunting season is too far away. Now I wish I had more time to prepare. I didn't get to spend as many days on logging roads as i wanted to, but between work and the borderline prohibitive fuel prices I went out as much as i could.

At the beginning of this year I decided to learn to hunt. The lockdowns and working from home for the past two and half years made me feel that I simply need to spend part of my time away from LML and try something new. Since I have spent pretty much all my life in large cities, and no one in my social circle hunts, it has been challenging to learn. It is particularly difficult to determine where should I be hunting. Now I fully understand that hunting is not all that viable with a crowd, thus of course no one want to advertise where they hunt, but it does feel so very lost when I open google maps and see the vast wilderness we have in BC.

I'd like to think that I have pushed through some of those barriers by pretty much just keep going at it. I ve met some people whos also new to hunting, I ve went out to region 3 and 5 as much as i could, and I ve put together some gear, ive read everything i could find on the internet about the areas im interested in. But I have no idea if I ll find anything in a couple of weeks when hunting season opens.

Not sure what "put together some gear" means but get yourself quality boots and good binoculars.

If anyone can give me some pointers for 5-3 and 5-14 (I ve decided to commit the rest of my time this year around there) that ll be greatly appreciated. I've spent a couple days exploring these areas, but there are just so much land to cover. If anyone who knows these lands is willing to answer some more specific questions please send me a pm, I promise to bring you some beer the next time I'm in the area lol.

Pretty tough to get info on areas these days. Folks who put in the work and learn "their" spots aren't about to give up much. Generally, you make an intro thread, tell a joke, bit about yourself etc and contribute for a while before seeking info on certain areas.

If any other LML newbie wants to team up for hunting trips, explore various areas, or exchange information, feel free to drop me a pm too.

Stay persistent, memorize the regs, get a .22 for grouse, and read up on the life of Mule Deer not just spots to hunt.

HarryToolips
08-30-2022, 07:31 AM
First off, you're on the right path by getting out there and scouting/exploring....and remember, just because you don't harvest an animal right away doesn't mean your not having success - learning and having fun are the best forms of success...

Deer generally head for higher elevations as the green up occurs higher later in the year of course..but there are plenty of deer that stay lower...and there's deer that stay higher in elevation later in the season when most have headed down to winter..

Deer primarily need security/bedding, water, and food....hunt with these in mind...and also, when it's so dry this time of year seeing/finding sign can be more of a challenge...

wideopenthrottle
08-30-2022, 08:15 AM
ever heard the expression "the definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result"...who ever came up with that has no clue how hunting and fishing works....persistence is critical...sounds like you are doing the right things...Good luck..

nagetivekl
08-30-2022, 08:29 AM
thanks for the replies guys!
I dont mind keep going and put in the work, it is just nice to know that I am not going in the opposite direction of success.
I have certainly enjoyed my time in the bush, whether I run into deer or random cows it is always a good time.

wideopenthrottle
08-30-2022, 08:58 AM
in the areas i hunt that have cows, most will have them moved down to pasture by the time hunting starts...not all, but perhaps the farmer in that area is worried enough about one getting shot that he will get them out of the bush (except for a few strays)...one area i hunt, the cows move up into the bush every day and all camping spots are loaded with cow patties ... once the cows are up , you know you missed the deer and it is time for me to move to where they go to bed down as they probably came up from the farms on a differeent route than the cows...
thanks for the replies guys!
I dont mind keep going and put in the work, it is just nice to know that I am not going in the opposite direction of success.
I have certainly enjoyed my time in the bush, whether I run into deer or random cows it is always a good time.