PDA

View Full Version : Seasoned Elk hunters: A couple questions

TheObserver
08-28-2022, 07:14 PM
Hey guys,

So my first Elk hunt is coming up, taken many many Deer but I understand we are dealing with a different animal with different traits.

Question 1 is when the rut is coming on, do the bulls go to the cows or do the cows tend to go to where the bulls are at in your experience? I had 1 legal bull for sure on my cams and I think a second but they have not been by my cams for a month and a half or so, lots of cows though and some younger bulls, I actually bumped into a cow on Friday night checking my cams for the final time she was not spooked and I just walked away in the other direction.

Question 2 is when do you guys start calling, I will be up from the 10th to the 25th of September with my main spot and 2 additional back up plan spots, do you guys wait until you hear calling or like the 15th for an example? just not sure

I have been scouting a lot since May, listened to some invaluable information from guys on here and put cams up (especially one gent in particular but won't name drop, you know who you are), practiced my calling all year both bugle and cow sounds are very good and have been researching a ton on Elk and their behaviour.

Thanks in advance for anyone who can chime in!

HappyJack
08-28-2022, 07:23 PM
I've heard them bugling in late August while moose hunting in the Peace, and bulls fighting the first week of September, so I wouldn't wait till the 15th to call.

The bulls will gather up some cows and take them into a breeding area, if there are cows around there will be some satellite bulls around too, maybe even a lone cranker looking for love, you just never know.

Just be aware when you are calling, predators come to the calls too....grizzly bears and wolves so watch your back and don't fall asleep.

jac
08-28-2022, 07:31 PM
Bulls go to the cows

Calling will start late aug to early September weather can play a role. Rut is determined by number of hours of daylight vs dark. Equinox is the peak of rut

Bullreaper
08-28-2022, 07:57 PM
I don’t pay attention to bulls on my trail cams in the summer. It’s cool to see them, but the chances of them being there come hunting season, are slim to none. I get fired up when I see lots of cows on my cams throughout the summer leading up to the season. Find the cows, the bulls will be there soon enough. Probably about now, the bachelor groups should be breaking up and the bigger bulls are heading to there “staging area”. A place they will stay and hangout by themselves for the next 2 weeks or so getting ready for the rut. If you can find these guys, they are the ones you wanna be hunting. Usually very aggressive and territorial and Very susceptible to calling. Once they shack up with the cows, they get tougher to hunt.

I was out last night glassing, did a little bit of calling, had one bull answer with a very timid bugle. The earliest I’ve had a bull bugle where I’m at is August 20th. Usually picks up and gets good around September 3, Starts slowing down October 1st. My style of elk hunting, calling is key. I rely on calling right from September 1st through the end of the end of the season on October 20 and can usually find elk that wanna play the game thru the whole season. My advice is keep educating yourself on elk behaviour, what there going to be doing and when. Keep practicing your calling and understand when to use the right calls in the right situation. Elk hunting university @ ELk101.com is an awesome source of information that is worth every penny. Definitely worth a look anyway. Good luck this year!

TheObserver
08-28-2022, 08:11 PM
I've heard them bugling in late August while moose hunting in the Peace, and bulls fighting the first week of September, so I wouldn't wait till the 15th to call.

The bulls will gather up some cows and take them into a breeding area, if there are cows around there will be some satellite bulls around too, maybe even a lone cranker looking for love, you just never know.

Just be aware when you are calling, predators come to the calls too....grizzly bears and wolves so watch your back and don't fall asleep.

I have heard this before about the predators thanks again for reminding me I will keep it in mind!

358mag
08-28-2022, 08:13 PM
I don’t pay attention to bulls on my trail cams in the summer. It’s cool to see them, but the chances of them being there come hunting season, are slim to none. I get fired up when I see lots of cows on my cams throughout the summer leading up to the season. Find the cows, the bulls will be there soon enough. Probably about now, the bachelor groups should be breaking up and the bigger bulls are heading to there “staging area”. A place they will stay and hangout by themselves for the next 2 weeks or so getting ready for the rut. If you can find these guys, they are the ones you wanna be hunting. Usually very aggressive and territorial and Very susceptible to calling. Once they shack up with the cows, they get tougher to hunt.

I was out last night glassing, did a little bit of calling, had one bull answer with a very timid bugle. The earliest I’ve had a bull bugle where I’m at is August 20th. Usually picks up and gets good around September 3, Starts slowing down October 1st. My style of elk hunting, calling is key. I rely on calling right from September 1st through the end of the end of the season on October 20 and can usually find elk that wanna play the game thru the whole season. My advice is keep educating yourself on elk behaviour, what there going to be doing and when. Keep practicing your calling and understand when to use the right calls in the right situation. Elk hunting university @ ELk101.com is an awesome source of information that is worth every penny. Definitely worth a look anyway. Good luck this year!

Priceless info ^^^^^^^^

TheObserver
08-28-2022, 08:14 PM
Bulls go to the cows

Calling will start late aug to early September weather can play a role. Rut is determined by number of hours of daylight vs dark. Equinox is the peak of rut

I had a feeling this is how it goes, which is good news. The cows are there.

From the research I have done calling in is easier during pre rut before they have their harems, and I think the equinox falls on the 23rd this year I could be wrong my hunt will be coming to an end unless I get one before.

TheObserver
08-28-2022, 08:18 PM

Okay awesome!

Nice! Always learning and doing my calls daily I think they sound very well, I watch their elk hunting videos but didn't purchase the elk university, i'll check it out and thank you and all the best to you this season as well!

Bullreaper
08-28-2022, 08:22 PM
Okay awesome!

Nice! Always learning and doing my calls daily I think they sound very well, I watch their elk hunting videos but didn't purchase the elk university, i'll check it out and thank you and all the best to you this season as well!

promo code RANDY. Save yourself $20 if u do decide to purchase it. Like I said before, I think it’s worth every penny.

HarryToolips
08-28-2022, 08:59 PM
It's good your bumping cows, as mentioned the bulls come to the cows, from my research, lead cow is the boss...

As for calling the earliest I've had a reply is Aug 1st, albeit just a location Bugle.. I'd have no reluctance to calling as soon as you begin your hunt, IMO..

TheObserver
08-28-2022, 09:27 PM
promo code RANDY. Save yourself $20 if u do decide to purchase it. Like I said before, I think it’s worth every penny.

Thank you!

TheObserver
08-28-2022, 09:29 PM
I will be bowhunting blacktails locally until I leave for the Elk trip. I know some spots where I have found a good amount of Roosevelt Elk sign i'm going to call there and see if I can get a response/answers just for practice

Husky7mm
08-28-2022, 10:28 PM
i don’t pay attention to bulls on my trail cams in the summer. It’s cool to see them, but the chances of them being there come hunting season, are slim to none. I get fired up when i see lots of cows on my cams throughout the summer leading up to the season. Find the cows, the bulls will be there soon enough. Probably about now, the bachelor groups should be breaking up and the bigger bulls are heading to there “staging area”. A place they will stay and hangout by themselves for the next 2 weeks or so getting ready for the rut. If you can find these guys, they are the ones you wanna be hunting. Usually very aggressive and territorial and very susceptible to calling. Once they shack up with the cows, they get tougher to hunt.

I was out last night glassing, did a little bit of calling, had one bull answer with a very timid bugle. The earliest i’ve had a bull bugle where i’m at is august 20th. Usually picks up and gets good around september 3, starts slowing down october 1st. My style of elk hunting, calling is key. I rely on calling right from september 1st through the end of the end of the season on october 20 and can usually find elk that wanna play the game thru the whole season. My advice is keep educating yourself on elk behaviour, what there going to be doing and when. Keep practicing your calling and understand when to use the right calls in the right situation. Elk hunting university @ elk101.com is an awesome source of information that is worth every penny. Definitely worth a look anyway. Good luck this year!

^^^this^^^

HighCountryBC
08-29-2022, 09:23 AM

This is very good info for the OP and others creeping the thread.

Where we are in the West Koots, we get very few if any mature bulls throughout the summer months except for our alpine cams. Mostly cow/calf groups until the last week of August when the bulls start rolling in and sorting out the pecking order. Early season is a fantastic time to call in bulls before the hierarchy gets established.

wideopenthrottle
08-29-2022, 09:58 AM
is there any truth to a claim i heard that satellite bulls can sometimes be the bigger bulls...that they will let a smaller bull do all the work corralling the cows up and fighting with other bulls then step in when the deed needs doing? ie dont dismiss the potential for a satellite bull to be the big daddy?

moosinaround
08-29-2022, 10:04 AM
is there any truth to a claim i heard that satellite bulls can sometimes be the bigger bulls...that they will let a smaller bull do all the work corralling the cows up and fighting with other bulls then step in when the deed needs doing? ie dont dismiss the potential for a satellite bull to be the big daddy?

In my experience, Satellite bulls taste just as good as the herd bull? Cows are pretty tasty as well! Moosin

Bullreaper
08-29-2022, 10:46 AM
“Satellite” bulls is just a loose term to describe the bulls that follow a harem around. Most people are usually under the assumption that the heard bull is the biggest bull around as far as antler size and the satellite bulls have smaller antlers, which is true in MOST cases, but is not always true. I’ve seen many 5 points run off 6’s before. (Which works to my advantage, much easier to pull a less dominate bull away from a harem then it is to pull the heard bull away from his cows) It comes down to which bulls are most dominate. Early in the season less dominate bulls will start to group up cows thinking they are running the show. Then as cows start to come into estrus, the more dominant bull will run off the other bulls and they will shadow the heard hoping to sneak in a quick poke when the heard bull isn’t paying attention or is pre occupied chasing other cows in his harem. Heard bull isn’t always the biggest, just the more dominant.

hunter1947
08-29-2022, 01:23 PM
I give a bugle out every 15 min to see if anything returns my call. I also give 4to6 cow calls in a place where you can see a good distance wait 15 min after you have called if noting calls or you hear nothing then move on for another 15 min and set up again and do the same thing.

Lots of times a bull will come in quite when you call so that's why a person has to wait 15 min to see if the bull comes in If you do get a bugle from a bull call him right back and then wait to see if he returns your call if so then call him every time he calls you make sure you have a good window to take a shot if he is legal.

If this bull is moving away go after him and try to close the distance give a bugle after you have covered a 100 or so yards to see if he will call you back if the bull keeps going away from you keep after him your probably dealing with a heard bull with cows.

Don't over call wait for him to call you then give the bull a call back all and all you got to try to get in close as you can to the bull then he will feel that your a threat to his cows and leave the cow and come to you to challenge you the closer you can get to the herd bull the better.

Elk go back into there bedding areas one hour after sunrise and come out of there bedding areas one hour before dark sets in.

Look for last years elk rubs and this years rubs as for beds, elk tracks, elk need lots of water every day so keep this in mind..

What ever you do don't over bugle like I said above every 15 min is good enough if you call to much the elk will get suspicious and not come in to your call..

If I have seen elk earlier in the the year in cutblocks when scouting I will be there 30min before daylight and sit there and glass same goes for late evening..

Satellite bulls are are moving more then herd bulls during the rut looking for cows and you will get satellite bulls hanging around the herd bull with his cows so keep this in
mind the satellite bull that does hang around the herd might be as equal as the herd bull meaning a shooter..

Bugle M In
08-29-2022, 05:38 PM
Bulls will find the cows.
Bugling can start in Later August.
It can be busy with bugles, then slow down, then pick up and then slow down again.
Once hunting starts, they tend to quiet down and thus you have to call for them.
If you see some smaller bulls, like a line spike etc, it usually means a bigger herd is in the vicinity, but might be up to 2 clicks away.
A group of cows is what gets me excited.
Somwtimes you get 5pt bulls come to to our bugles.
Sometimes they are alone.
Sometimes the bull has his cows stashed away in the timber and he comes out to check you out.
Sometimes a bigger bull with cows just walks away silently taking his harem with him.
So many factors and scenarios.
Nothing is absolute.
It varies so much.
High pitched long bugles that are in intimidating can help locate a bull or even cows!
But use the cow call more if you think you are close to a group of elk.
Unless it is a solo bull, satellite etc, then bugles work but still, use cow calls.
If you can spot them, that’s the best way as then you know upfront which tactic will most likely work best.
But often times, that is not possible.
Locating bugles and cow calls until either you get a reply or one walks out silently, then go from there.
Problem with cow calls is the sound doesn’t carry.
Somwtimes you don’t need it to.
Its a complex but fun hunt.

Ron.C
08-29-2022, 07:54 PM
Good tips posted so far.

I'm far from an expert, but I've had a horse shoe up my arse when it comes to elk hunting. I don't live near my elk spot but I think if I were hunting a new area I'd be a little more mobile and agressive than I am in the spot I usually hunt. If you have already found cows, that's half the battle!

"Question 1 is when the rut is coming on, do the bulls go to the cows "

When the cows approach estrous, bulls won't be far away. So if you have found cow's in your scouting, keeps tabs on them.

"Question 2 is when do you guys start calling, I will be up from the 10th to the 25th of September with my main spot and 2 additional back up plan spots, do you guys wait until you hear calling or like the 15th for an example? just not sure."

My elk hunts usually take place the first 3 weeks of Sept in an area I believe cows are present (based on previous years alone).

When I used to bowhunt them, I'm calling on Sept 1. To date, all my bulls have been killed between 1 and 13 Sept and all have been called in. My last bull was on a scorching hot 13 Sept and I didn't hear a peep all day until 30 minutes before last light down in a creek bottom. He responded to a squeally location bugle and then we engaged bugled back and forth until he came in and gave me a shot.

Although the bulls are not always bugleing, I manage to call some in. I also do pretty well with cow calls. Some respond vocally, some come trotting in (hear them crashing through the bush) grunting and some just seem to appear out of no where.

Like Hunter1947 said, if you cow call and don't get a response, hang tight for at least 15 minutes. Can't tell you the number of times I had a bull just show up without making a sound after some cow calling. Not always shooters but calling in any elk is exciting.

TheObserver
08-30-2022, 08:51 AM
Thanks for the replies guys!

Sleeps are getting a little antsy now haha right around the corner, got 2 back up spots and a nice alpine place not too far incase the main spot gets spooked or something. Will be a much needed 18 days away from society.

Wish you guys all the best this season and hope you connect with the animals you are after!

Bugle M In
08-30-2022, 09:33 AM
If you do get a bull to respond AND seems to take interest in coming closer.
You can consider matching his calls.
Just don’t try to sound bigger.
But do you some cow calls in between.
Sometimes cow calls is all you need to seal the deal.
And just remember, elk know exactly where you are calling from, right down to the mm,
This often means that once they reach a point with direct eyeline sight to you, they often stop there.
They expect to then see you (another elk, be it bull or cow)
Lasy several years we have used a Montana decoy that sits out in the open close by.
I have to say, it helps bring the bull closer and a little more at ease, imo.
Its not needed, but it can help more than hurt.
Especially when alone.
The 2 hunter approach with one way out in front (not calling), is still the best method of actual success.
But again, it can be done all alone.
Good luck

Ourea
08-30-2022, 10:28 AM
The cow groups are run by a lead or matriach cow throughout the yr except when elk go into seclusion to calve.
Bulls do not run the show during the rut as some think.

I have encountered elk that "yard" up during the rut. This can make for some pretty exciting action with multiple bulls screaming.

When things get rolling the mature bulls are on the hunt. I will sit on elk for days at a time and was surprised that bulls come and go. If there isn't any cows in heat better bulls can simply move on.

My personal experience is bulls vocalize late August to about Sept 3 ( heard numerous bulls while packing in gear for elk camp on the Sept long weekend)
Things can go pretty quiet for a week or 2 after that before things really get going again.

One of my best bulls I took (360) was the last day of the season (Oct 20th) and he was moaning and groaning at 9 am by himself.

A guy just has put in as much time as he can afford And maximize your dawn and dusk hrs.

Another rule of thumb is elk generally go down at night and up in the morning. Waste of time hunting them uphill when they are on the move.

TheObserver
09-12-2022, 09:23 PM
Just learnt a valuable lesson about them coming in down wind. Crept in above a bedding area in the last hour of light and called, hidden behind a small pine expecting them to come from below me. Out of the whole area it is the only place with bear crap. Looking behind me occasionally as I have found in research and have been told they come in down wind sometimes. All of a sudden I hear something completely ripping it full boar down behind me probably 60 yards, closed it in like half a second. All i'm thinking is bear so I just have enough time to swivel to my right (kneeling) and take my rifle off of safety, then between the blowdown I seen 4 legs with hoofs and right away I knew it was a bull he comes around the corner 5 yards away at a full stop, came in completely silent except for the running when he got close. If he was going any faster he would have ran me right over.

Hahahahaha what a bloody rush wow! He was a nice bull atleast a 5 or 6 happened so fast no way to count but he was good, sucks because I got busted but also know what I am doing is right except for my expectation on where he was going to come from, pretty cool for my first time Elk hunting. I have a lot of time left hopefully I can pull it off before my hunt is over.

Have you guys ever had a bull that busted you come in again before your trip was done or is he spooked?

Also any tips for a set up calling? Was thinking about spending a couple days over looking a wallow as well

Another cool first I killed a Grouse with my knife lol

TheObserver
09-12-2022, 09:26 PM
That happened so fast I would have never expected that when I set out tonight. Pretty cool for first call in, will definitely be hunting Elk yearly from here on out hahaha

Now up at 4:30 to do it all over again

TheObserver
09-12-2022, 09:55 PM
Was absolutely unreal!

RackStar
09-13-2022, 07:52 AM
I’ve spooked bulls at last light similar to that , and back on them in the morning. Just remember it can be slow for days, but when your there when they decide to light up its magical. We got burned out of our elk hunt 3 days in this year. Heading back out in a couple days to a new spot with a elk tag and a any bull moose LEH,

good luck. Time and patience is your best weapon. Sounds like you have plenty of time. Elk hunting has brought me some of my top experiences in the woods. I’m no longer interested at hunting anything else while elk is open. I don’t even look at deer untill november now.

breakaction
09-14-2022, 05:44 AM
Just learnt a valuable lesson about them coming in down wind. Crept in above a bedding area in the last hour of light and called, hidden behind a small pine expecting them to come from below me. Out of the whole area it is the only place with bear crap. Looking behind me occasionally as I have found in research and have been told they come in down wind sometimes. All of a sudden I hear something completely ripping it full boar down behind me probably 60 yards, closed it in like half a second. All i'm thinking is bear so I just have enough time to swivel to my right (kneeling) and take my rifle off of safety, then between the blowdown I seen 4 legs with hoofs and right away I knew it was a bull he comes around the corner 5 yards away at a full stop, came in completely silent except for the running when he got close. If he was going any faster he would have ran me right over.

Also any tips for a set up calling? Was thinking about spending a couple days over looking a wallow as well

I wonder if thermals played any role in him coming down wind? On top of other factors to consider, if following thermals in more mountainous terrain I will start high and above in the morning, then low and below in the evening.

Bugle M In
09-14-2022, 09:34 AM
I usually find thermals early in the morning still travelling downhill.
Then, once it starts to warm up, a couple of hours into the morning it switches uphill and then later by evening, once again downhill.
But yes, thermals can be completely different then the true weather direction.
Terrain, and things like creeks can also have an affect.
i had a bull that was holding up, so I went to him, and as I got close, he got close.
Thermals at that point w et e going uphill, he was below me, but I then moved up to a creek, and suddenly I realized the thermals there were going downhill.
Well, I watched his nostrils flare and off he took.
I took a few steps back, and yup, the thermals where going uphill again.

Elkaddict
09-14-2022, 05:01 PM

Bwahahaha!!!! That is so awesome. If you lived through that experience and now aren't hooked on elk hunting for the rest of time, check your pulse. That right there is quintissential elk hunting for me. Years ago I called a bull into about 30 or 40 yds. My buddy, who had never hunted elk, was 20 yds in front of me, on the edge of a draw with his bow. The bull was on the opposite side, the draw thick with alders and buckbrush. The bull hung up and wouldn't come through the draw but he raged on the other side and tore the crap out of anything he could wrap his horns around. The look on buddy's face was absolutely priceless. When he turned around I couldn't see anything but eyeballs and teeth. Just one of those epic moments that keeps one going back year after year. Your a gone'r now Observer!!! Welcome to the club!!

Windwise, I usually find that the moment the sun hits the side of the mountain the air will start to rise ( anabatic). The opposite is true at night, when the side of the mountain comes into shade the air descends (katabatic). In the morning, if you aren't above your quarry by the time the sun hits the mountain side you might as well find something else to bide your time.

TheObserver
09-14-2022, 07:20 PM
The thermals don't seem to act accordingly in this valley, not in places you think they would always anyways. But now I think of it I don't think he tried to come in down wind.

What I think happened was I start calling at top of mountain (checked wind was in my favour at that time, always do) when I let my first bugle go I think he immidietly started heading up to me. Me not hearing anything back start heading down to his bedroom/staging area and calling every so often. So him heading up me heading down by the time I let my last bugle go he was so close he must have thought that f****er is in my area now and ran right at me. My thoughts after thinking on it.

I went to my back up spot today (different place) and bumped into a herd bull with harem, found 4 wallows and about 18 rubs from last couple weeks, all started with me checking it out and finding Elk scat this summer.

I killed a wolf there today too boys! Two of em were chasing a Doe. Will post pics tonight! Free handed him with my 300win mag probably about 130 yards they gave up on chasing the Doe and realized I was there all happened right infront of me perfect heart shot what an insane trip/year!

TheObserver
09-14-2022, 07:24 PM
Bwahahaha!!!! That is so awesome. If you lived through that experience and now aren't hooked on elk hunting for the rest of time, check your pulse. That right there is quintissential elk hunting for me. Years ago I called a bull into about 30 or 40 yds. My buddy, who had never hunted elk, was 20 yds in front of me, on the edge of a draw with his bow. The bull was on the opposite side, the draw thick with alders and buckbrush. The bull hung up and wouldn't come through the draw but he raged on the other side and tore the crap out of anything he could wrap his horns around. The look on buddy's face was absolutely priceless. When he turned around I couldn't see anything but eyeballs and teeth. Just one of those epic moments that keeps one going back year after year. Your a gone'r now Observer!!! Welcome to the club!!

Windwise, I usually find that the moment the sun hits the side of the mountain the air will start to rise ( anabatic). The opposite is true at night, when the side of the mountain comes into shade the air descends (katabatic). In the morning, if you aren't above your quarry by the time the sun hits the mountain side you might as well find something else to bide your time.

Hahaha thats hilarious just teeth and eyes.

Yeah dude i'm f***ed now for sure lol!

TheObserver
09-15-2022, 10:01 AM
https://i.imgur.com/Lqr4XDa.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/SQXISKE.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/PQbOFvU.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/CQTeRfT.jpg

TheObserver
09-15-2022, 10:07 AM
I was still hunting very slow, ground wet making me almost completely silent. Then I hear rumbling at first I wasn't sure if it was thunder or hooves. Then I thought a herd of Elk was going to run by. Then I see a Doe, putting my bino's up to see if it was a Buck. Then I thought well what could be chasing her..... Could it be a 4 point for some reason so I waited a sec. Two Wolves high tailing after her.

Just so happened that they gave up the chase right infront of my field of view panting. Then they realize I am there and they look at each other than look back at me, and I took the one in the front that offered the better broadside shot. Was pretty crazy!

TheObserver
09-15-2022, 10:22 AM
Hahaha I thought this one was funny, gives a whole new meaning to Bull crap hey lol

https://i.imgur.com/S4g53gZ.jpg

Husky7mm
09-15-2022, 10:25 AM
Right on!!! Smoke a pack a day. Sounds like you’re in the right spot, nice looking country!! Good luck on the elk.

Husky7mm
09-15-2022, 07:59 PM
I don’t think folks know there is a hunting story inside this thread about elk questions, but thanks for the updates.

TheObserver
09-16-2022, 09:48 PM
I don’t think folks know there is a hunting story inside this thread about elk questions, but thanks for the updates.

Your right Husky, i'll post a thread about the Wolf

HarryToolips
09-16-2022, 10:16 PM
Nice wolf congrats!

HighCountryBC
09-19-2022, 02:31 PM
If you do get a bull to respond AND seems to take interest in coming closer.
You can consider matching his calls.
Just don’t try to sound bigger.
But do you some cow calls in between.
Sometimes cow calls is all you need to seal the deal.
And just remember, elk know exactly where you are calling from, right down to the mm,
This often means that once they reach a point with direct eyeline sight to you, they often stop there.
They expect to then see you (another elk, be it bull or cow)
Lasy several years we have used a Montana decoy that sits out in the open close by.
I have to say, it helps bring the bull closer and a little more at ease, imo.
Its not needed, but it can help more than hurt.
Especially when alone.
The 2 hunter approach with one way out in front (not calling), is still the best method of actual success.
But again, it can be done all alone.
Good luck

Sorry, BMI but I respectfully disagree (strongly) with the bolded part.

Hunters will find more consistent success if they learn the different types of calls and when to apply them versus randomly blowing on a bugle tube or cow call. Not sure what you mean by "don't try and sound bigger." as that is one of the biggest myths out there. Heard plenty of mature bulls let out wimpy bugles whether it was a locator or ready to fight. Also been fooled several times by chicken neck bulls with a deep, growly groan or long chuckle.

If you're challenging a bull and he's shown interest in engaging, there's absolutely no reason to mix in cow calls. Stick with what is working and don't muddy the waters.

Elkaddict
09-21-2022, 10:23 AM
OP, I have another tale for your”calling” file. Out this morning and I hear a faint bugle. I return the call but do not get a response. It was a ways off so I decided to close the distance. After a couple hundred yards I bugled again. This time there is a response. I hunkered down behind a stump and tried to match the call. Short pause, another response followed by a series of short whistles. He may have been trying to chuckle, but didn’t really pull that off. This last response was closer and as I’m bringing my binos up I can see movement in the timber 60 or 70 yds out. Up with the glass and I see a bull beelining for my stump. He’s tall and fairly wide, but straight on I can’t count squat. Inside 40 yds now and hasn’t faultered once. I switch from binocular to rifle feeling that the if the time comes, there won’t be time to switch later. Probably at 30 or less now and still hasn’t paused once. He’s at a slight angle now,… left side1,.2,.3,.4,.5,..shit. 12345, shit. Right side 1,.2,.3,.4,.5,..shit! 12345, SHIT!!! Inside 10 yds now and I don’t need glass of any sort. Raise my head to see the whites of his eyes and the snot on his nose. He got to 6 or 7 yds just abeam me, before he got the “oh shit” look, wheeled and trotted out to about 40 yds. A quiet chirp was all he needed to hear to convince him it was time to leave. He was having none of that.

Can’t say there’s much of a teaching point to the story (it was just so damned fun I thought I’d share it ;)), other than maybe ALWAYS set up, listen and watch after a call, whether you sent out a locator or are responding to a call. They may announce themselves they may not. They may hang up and never show themselves, or they may come in on a mission. If they’re on a mission and you’re just standing there things happen way too fast to duck, hide, assess and shoot.

I hope you’re having more good luck and getting the hook set hard!! ;)

HarryToolips
09-21-2022, 11:07 AM
One thing that worked for my partner and I on our trip this season was we heard a location Bugle, we tried calling etc back but he was silent from that moment on, and it was last light so we played the wind and left: we knew a storm was coming in through the night so we figured if we didn't blow him out, he'd be still there in the morning...fortunately we were correct on our prediction, unfortunately he was a 5 pt..

TheObserver
09-22-2022, 02:43 PM
Nice wolf congrats!

Thanks Harry!

TheObserver
09-22-2022, 02:45 PM
OP, I have another tale for your”calling” file. Out this morning and I hear a faint bugle. I return the call but do not get a response. It was a ways off so I decided to close the distance. After a couple hundred yards I bugled again. This time there is a response. I hunkered down behind a stump and tried to match the call. Short pause, another response followed by a series of short whistles. He may have been trying to chuckle, but didn’t really pull that off. This last response was closer and as I’m bringing my binos up I can see movement in the timber 60 or 70 yds out. Up with the glass and I see a bull beelining for my stump. He’s tall and fairly wide, but straight on I can’t count squat. Inside 40 yds now and hasn’t faultered once. I switch from binocular to rifle feeling that the if the time comes, there won’t be time to switch later. Probably at 30 or less now and still hasn’t paused once. He’s at a slight angle now,… left side1,.2,.3,.4,.5,..shit. 12345, shit. Right side 1,.2,.3,.4,.5,..shit! 12345, SHIT!!! Inside 10 yds now and I don’t need glass of any sort. Raise my head to see the whites of his eyes and the snot on his nose. He got to 6 or 7 yds just abeam me, before he got the “oh shit” look, wheeled and trotted out to about 40 yds. A quiet chirp was all he needed to hear to convince him it was time to leave. He was having none of that.

Can’t say there’s much of a teaching point to the story (it was just so damned fun I thought I’d share it ;)), other than maybe ALWAYS set up, listen and watch after a call, whether you sent out a locator or are responding to a call. They may announce themselves they may not. They may hang up and never show themselves, or they may come in on a mission. If they’re on a mission and you’re just standing there things happen way too fast to duck, hide, assess and shoot.

I hope you’re having more good luck and getting the hook set hard!! ;)

Hahahah nice man! Sounds like you guys out in the Koots having lots of action/interaction this year good stuff!

Definitely learnt a cool lesson with my call in always expect the unexpected, and like you say have a set up right there or be in one when doing a call because you never know he may be around the corner and come in right away top speed