PDA

View Full Version : Son's first mule deer hunt help

boilerroom
08-27-2022, 01:47 PM
Hi Folks, hoping I can get some help/advice.

My 17-year old has been going through some stuff and I'm trying to get him out in nature to widen his perspective. He's excited about hunting for a mule deer and with this being his last eligible season for the youth hunt, I'm hoping we can find something together.

We're in the Lower Mainland and willing to get out and put boots on the ground. We were going to go up near Stoyoma mountain but access is washed out.

If anyone would mind PMing and suggesting/helping I would really appreciate it. Of course, being a successful hunt will be much more than harvesting an animal, but it would certainly be a great experience for him/us.

cheers,
BR

kolofardos
08-27-2022, 02:21 PM
Message sent

oddsix
08-27-2022, 02:25 PM
What month would you go?

boilerroom
08-27-2022, 04:18 PM
What month would you go?

Hoping for early youth only season in Region 3 Sept 1 – Sept 9 to start and then October when I can get another week off.

walks with deer
08-27-2022, 04:49 PM
Can you guys walk? How far can you pack a matire buck..?

walks with deer
08-27-2022, 04:53 PM
If your having some issues i would focus the time on time toghether over harvest killing something fixes nothing time with dad fixes things. I can give you spot where you will have extremely good opurtuntiy to harvest or i can give you spots with a great adventure.

4 point
08-27-2022, 06:51 PM
Lots of areas around Kamloops in most directions to hunt for Youth Season. I will be out with my 13 year old grandson to try & take his first deer. Going to be warm, so if successful you’ll need good deer care. All the best to you!

boilerroom
08-27-2022, 11:02 PM
If your having some issues i would focus the time on time toghether over harvest killing something fixes nothing time with dad fixes things. I can give you spot where you will have extremely good opurtuntiy to harvest or i can give you spots with a great adventure.

100% agree about time spent together! He and I are actually really good - it's more life stuff that's been tough for him. He's with me full-time as of a few months ago and is doing much better.

We're both in good shape and into hiking. We have a good backpack and a meat carrier I bought from another member, so if the deer isn't too big we could probably get out in one trip - otherwise I'll have the cooler with ice in the truck and will bring out the deer 1st trip and then go back for the camp on a second trip. I'm hoping not to have to go too deep in September but will most likely go deep in October if necessary.

BR

boilerroom
08-27-2022, 11:03 PM
Lots of areas around Kamloops in most directions to hunt for Youth Season. I will be out with my 13 year old grandson to try & take his first deer. Going to be warm, so if successful you’ll need good deer care. All the best to you!

Thanks 4 point - and good luck to you and your grandson!

HarryToolips
08-28-2022, 07:19 AM
Will send PM...the earlier in the season you get out, the better the odds, as the deer will adjust to hunting pressure over time..

boilerroom
09-11-2022, 08:57 PM
thanks to all (posts and PMs) for your advice for my son and I on his first deer/grouse hunt. Although we didn't see any deer, we saw two black bears and he got 6 grouse. Most important, he said he wants to go again next year!

cheers,
BR