PDA

View Full Version : Hunting close to Kelowna?

BCHoyt
08-26-2022, 11:34 AM
How is the hunting close to Kelowna? We are packing up the moving truck Tuesday and getting off the Island for some new adventures in life..

REMINGTON JIM
08-26-2022, 04:45 PM
More DEER on the ROCK then here . RJ

igojuone
08-26-2022, 05:00 PM
I always found it good when I lived there. 15 minutes to some good spots but I lived on the edge of town. Takes at least 30-45 minutes just to get across town these days.

RyoTHC
08-26-2022, 05:35 PM
I always found it good when I lived there. 15 minutes to some good spots but I lived on the edge of town. Takes at least 30-45 minutes just to get across town these days.

Took me 2.5 hours to get from the highway entering west Kelowna to the airport today, Kelowna is the biggest pile of horseshit in all Canada for its congestion, whoever the civil engineer was back in the day needs to be stoned.

don’t envy anyone moving there unless you’re retired and never have to be anywhere on time.

if you can’t tell, I hate Kelowna and it’s a shit hole.

Night Hawk 3
08-26-2022, 06:56 PM
Took me 2.5 hours to get from the highway entering west Kelowna to the airport today[...] whoever the civil engineer was back in the day needs to be stoned.

That is why I chose Kamloops over Kelowna; there's no Harvey Ave here.

Harvey Avenue is perhaps one of the stupidest sections of highway in all of Canada.

There are lots of other great things about Kelowna though.

NH3

RyoTHC
08-26-2022, 06:57 PM
That is why I chose Kamloops over Kelowna; there's no Harvey Ave here.

Harvey Avenue is perhaps one of the stupidest sections of highway in all of Canada.

There are lots of other great things about Kelowna though.

NH3

on a week day, between 10am -3pm in April, early may, or late October and I agree lol

Dannybuoy
08-26-2022, 06:59 PM
LOL love the comments, I got out of Vernon 6 years ago for exactly the same reasons .... it's a debate on which is worse .
But having said that.. lots of whitetail on the Aberdeen plateau... access from Joe Rich area .... I imagine the West side will be closed ? or due to the fires ?
Towards Lumby and the monashees there are good also for either mulie or whiteys

dino
08-26-2022, 07:49 PM
Okanagan mountain park

markt308
08-26-2022, 08:14 PM
Welcome to Kelowna. Don't listen to the negative stuff. My fam and I love it here. It is not hard to stay away form the busy areas. Tons of rec opportunities.
As far as hunting, you honestly cannot go wrong. Jump on google earth and choose a road and start to explore.
As Dino said, the park can be good as well

Stone Sheep Steve
08-27-2022, 04:13 AM
Just make sure you stay on one side of the bridge or the other. We are selling everything and moving. We have lost several sales of items as the buyer didn’t want to cross the bridge.

Have lived in WESTBANK since ‘72. It’s changed A LOT….and I mean A LOT.

Deer hunting is better in town than in the bush…at least for mulies. The Whitetails are there but adapt extremely well to hunting pressure.

Get quite a few cameras to see what’s out there.

SSS

Redthies
08-27-2022, 07:10 AM
Welcome to Kelowna. It is not hard to stay away form the busy areas.

You're 100% correct. It’s VERY easy to avoid the “busy areas”. JUST STAY HOME!

Seriously though, Kelowna was an amazing place to grow up in the 70s. Now it’s a festering shithole. Traffic makes Vancouver look appealing, and the d-bag ratio in Hellowna is very high. I still have family there, so unfortunately have to visit now and then.

But, getting off the rock is great. Your travel options are limitless. Hunting is still decent in some areas, but crazy busy in others. OK Mtn Park is great, but you better be in shape. There are a ton of rock reefs running through it, and if you shoot a big animal in the wrong spot, your pack out can be a nightmare. Christian Valley is close, but typically a gong show. Way too many people go there to hunt. I’ve found some good areas up the Coquihala Connector. Lots to explore up there!

Enjoy the new adventure! Coming from Langford you will like the ease of escape from town, and frankly, traffic may not be much worse.

igojuone
08-27-2022, 07:13 AM
Okanagan mountain park

Saw one of the biggest WT I've ever seen up there. He'd of ended up on the wall for sure. Stalked him for a few hours with my bow. Got darn close one time but wasn't able to get a shot off. Sure did learn a lot about WT that day.

BCHoyt
08-27-2022, 07:28 AM
Thanks to those who gave some useful info on this post. I already picked up a backroads mapbook and will be going over google earth.. Not sure if we are going to hunt this season or just take the time to get out and explore.

358mag
08-27-2022, 01:07 PM
Okanagan mountain park

Maybe 10 years ago , times have change in there after the wolfs moved in .

high horse Hal
08-27-2022, 08:35 PM
Maybe 10 years ago , times have change in there after the wolfs moved in .No no, its still a great place to hunt, toads of deer and elk for those that work at it, hard pressed to find a better spot so close to Kel

358mag
08-27-2022, 08:42 PM
No no, its still a great place to hunt, toads of deer and elk for those that work at it, hard pressed to find a better spot so close to Kel

Great to hear , not many people hunt it maybe have to check it out .
Also heard there's lots of elk and oversized whitetails up behind the air port too .

Dannybuoy
08-27-2022, 08:59 PM
Great to hear , not many people hunt it maybe have to check it out .
Also heard there's lots of elk and oversized whitetails up behind the air port too .
OK mountain park was and is hunted hard both from inland and via OK lake ( commando bay ) behind the airport is mostly private property( Eldorado ranch) maybe that's why they are big ?

358mag
08-27-2022, 09:32 PM
OK mountain park was and is hunted hard both from inland and via OK lake ( commando bay ) behind the airport is mostly private property( Eldorado ranch) maybe that's why they are big ?

Plus no shortage of hunters hitting hard from the Naramata - Chute Lake south end

HighCountryBC
08-29-2022, 09:36 AM
Maybe 10 years ago , times have change in there after the wolfs moved in .

No doubt about it 358. At least 10-12 years too late for those just discovering OK Mtn Park. Be hard pressed to find a decent buck in there now when 5-8 years after the fire a guy could look over a dozen 4 points on a slow day. I guess if a guy was after a chicken neck bull elk there's still the odd squeaker that groups are racing to pop a primer on.

Much more productive areas for both species in the Okanagan but to each their own.

Edzzed
08-29-2022, 10:32 AM
We drove from Blind bay to Kelowna the other day. Came back through West side road. Saw about 6 deer but they were closer to Parker cove than Kelowna. We almost bought a house next to Fintry Provincial park. Sure glad that never happened with the fires and all.

358mag
08-29-2022, 09:00 PM
No doubt about it 358. At least 10-12 years too late for those just discovering OK Mtn Park. Be hard pressed to find a decent buck in there now when 5-8 years after the fire a guy could look over a dozen 4 points on a slow day. I guess if a guy was after a chicken neck bull elk there's still the odd squeaker that groups are racing to pop a primer on.

Much more productive areas for both species in the Okanagan but to each their own.

Yuppers pretty well sums up Okanagan Park , but it is a great place to go for a easy day hunt-hike ......................

dino
08-29-2022, 10:15 PM
Saw one of the biggest WT I've ever seen up there. He'd of ended up on the wall for sure. Stalked him for a few hours with my bow. Got darn close one time but wasn't able to get a shot off. Sure did learn a lot about WT that day.

I still go and I'm from the lml. If it's now considered crappy in there I would have loved to see it 10+ years ago. To me its good for someone that's not afraid of some hard work. When it snows its broken ankle/leg country. Nasty deadfall.

dino
08-29-2022, 10:22 PM
Plus no shortage of hunters hitting hard from the Naramata - Chute Lake south end

Funny thing for me is I go in from the naramata side and only see a few vehicles. I go in on the lower side where the outfitter parks his horse trailer. But I do hear what your saying, I do see other hunters and that sucks.

troutseeker
08-29-2022, 11:32 PM
Hike in to OK mountain park. Go deep and find lot’s of deer and elk.

Stone Sheep Steve
08-30-2022, 04:53 AM
Don’t forget that there are newer burns to be hunted in the OK. Access is easier than it is to the park so there will be more pressure and not the quality that the park produced in its peak.

SSS

.300WSMImpact!
08-31-2022, 08:51 AM
I have lived in Kelowna for years, it can be productive but get ready for the shit show, you are never alone while hunting in kelowna area, I go elsewhere so i can hunt a little more alone

thelazygreenfox
10-17-2022, 08:24 PM
Whitetail question
I know the Mulies head to their winter ranges but do the whiteys as well. I want to head to K next week before the antlerless season ends, have a location but wondered about the winter range..
Thanks for the input.
TLGF

7thShmimz
10-18-2022, 06:11 AM
BChoyt
explore with a rifle and tags, and then there's no need to decide!