PDA

View Full Version : What Do You Think About This Device ??.

hunter1947
08-25-2022, 08:30 AM
https://www.amazon.ca/ZOLEO-Satellite-Communicator-Check-Smartphone/dp/B07X59RH7T/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?crid=3G1WSUR03EK7L&keywords=garmin+inreach+mini&qid=1661441167&rnid=11192166011&sprefix=g

wallz
08-25-2022, 08:41 AM
Have had one for just over a year, and no problems with it. Had it on $5 plan while not in use to keep all my original phone number from them.

The wife enjoys getting updates and knowing that I have an SOS button and help will be on the way. Bit of a peace of mind for her. She bought it for my birthday last year.

Very few spots that I didn't have service in region 7, but those were more into a deep valley with close in tall mountains on all sides. I would say 99% coverage, but they will all be the same.

Just remember to have it in a place you can reach it easily if required. If on a quad and you roll, it doesn't help you if its on the quad and you are now down a bank away from the quad and can't reach it. Not my experience, but have heard some stories.

I have my phone with me always for the maps, so this pairs excellent with it.

hunter1947
08-25-2022, 08:45 AM
Have had one for just over a year, and no problems with it. Had it on $5 plan while not in use to keep all my original phone number from them.

The wife enjoys getting updates and knowing that I have an SOS button and help will be on the way. Bit of a peace of mind for her. She bought it for my birthday last year.

Very few spots that I didn't have service in region 7, but those were more into a deep valley with close in tall mountains on all sides. I would say 99% coverage, but they will all be the same.

Just remember to have it in a place you can reach it easily if required. If on a quad and you roll, it doesn't help you if its on the quad and you are now down a bank away from the quad and can't reach it. Not my experience, but have heard some stories.

I have my phone with me always for the maps, so this pairs excellent with it.
Thanks for the feed back..

Everett
08-25-2022, 09:36 AM
I have one Wayne its awesome.

Iron Glove
08-25-2022, 09:43 AM
We bought our Son one for Xmas, he tried it out on Spring Bear hunts, he loves it.
Reasonably priced, simple to use.
Gave him the in vehicle charger to go with it too.

BRvalley
08-25-2022, 10:07 AM
been using it since they first came out, works well

my only issue was one of the updates didn't work, had to do factory reset and redo the update, been great since then

I can vouch for their toughness, left it on top of the truck when I was texting during lunch break, then hour or two later i touched the brakes back on the highway and watched it roll forward off the windshield and bounce down the pavement in my mirror lol....still works great, amazing it stayed on top of the truck that long

like mentioned above, I also use my phone as all in one unit now, camera, multiple hunting apps, gps mapping, and zoleo linked...that system works great imo

Livewire322
08-25-2022, 11:57 AM
My hunting partner has run a Zoleo for two seasons now and speaks very highly of it.
My wife and I use a Garmin InReach, same concept, but doesn’t draw down your phone battery.

MichelD
08-25-2022, 12:18 PM
I bought a Garmin Inreach to be able to send regular free pre-sset messages home reporting in that I'm okay. I can send a limited number of short texts if necessary too.

At my age the Mrs. gets a little worried about me going out on my own for days on end.

It has the panic button too.

Evanguy
08-25-2022, 12:24 PM
I just bought an inReach mini 2, its the same as the mini but better battery life and uses 4 networks for location opposed to one. I love it. the 3 presets you setup are free to send unlimited times, and you can do another list of preset texts are cost to use but you dont have to type them out, you can type with the inreach, so no phone needed incase it breaks or dies. weather was very accurate and when paired to the phone its really easy to use all the functions. the mini2 uses the Garmin Explore app. with the second cheapest plan you can get unlimited tracking at 10 minute intervals

the standalone ability of it and the battery life is what sold me on it

hunter1947
08-26-2022, 09:55 AM
Thanks for your thoughts regarding this tool.

canadiancon
08-26-2022, 08:22 PM
We have them at work, they changed from the in reach as it wasn’t as reliable at sending messages.

Jamesonm
08-29-2022, 09:37 AM
The Zoleo is amazing -- I've used every sat device over the years with natural resources work and search and rescue -- this is the device I decided to buy for myself.

Darksith
08-29-2022, 09:55 AM
I love my zoleo. Your cell phone is too powerful a tool to not take it into the back country. I also can't go completely dark bc I own a large company so it enables me to be available in case of a work emergency. I bring a solar powered battery pack to charge my devices, I can recharge the battery pack in a day even in overcast conditions with the solar panels it comes with so I also utilize rechargeable headlamps which are lighter than headlamps that take AAA batteries. Use Gaia map app on your cellphone ($40/year) and download the area you are going to be playing in. Hasn't failed me yet. I assume inreach also has a model that links to your cell phone and can put the subsription to sleep but I haven't looked into it and I haven't had a need as my Zoleo hasn't failed me yet. Only thing I would change is being able to stop the lights from blinking.