PDA

View Full Version : Early Draw Moose tactics

acal57
08-23-2022, 01:47 AM
Got myself an LEH moose draw for 6-09 from Sept 10 to 24. I've got a nice spot picked out with a ton of cow/calf sign down low, I figure the bulls are higher during the summer. My question is regarding calling tactics. There's a high country lake with some marshy stuff around it I plan on sitting.

Would cow calling be detrimental this early? Plenty of pressure in the area but not since last year.

Should I stick to raking?

Is there a difference in the way bulls vocalize with one another when sorting out hierarchy vs tending a cow?

Or should I just shut up and wait?

How would you play it? It's very thick, very steep, coast mountain country. Thanks.

decker9
08-23-2022, 02:56 AM
I had a good streak of early 6-9 moose leh’s the last 4 years, hunted hard and went 1 for 4. I found that early season a tough hunt, usually due to warm weather. Guiding in 6-9 I found the same, a tough hunt until a guy found sign of where they were hanging out. The early season, I usually seen most sign around water, more so the small weedy lakes. Calling never did seem to do much for me, due to warm weather I think. Seemed after around sept 20th things always heated up a bit.

Im pretty partial to a canoe personally. I think your idea though sounds good. A piece of marshy water, I’d suspect something would be hanging around if there hasn’t been any pressure.

Machinist
08-23-2022, 10:49 AM
I have hunted 6-06 a lot over the years on the Early Draw , this area is fairly close to 6-09 , Its usually fairly warm so I concentrate around Lakes and water ways , when its warm they tend to be our at first light in the morning and last light in the evening , as soon as the sun comes out they head for the bush where its cooler ,
Have not had much success calling until the last week of the early season and that's doing a cow call , good luck

tyreguy
08-23-2022, 11:05 AM
Cow call and you may get a curious early rut activity.
If you're just looking for any bull then concentrate on cow calls, a grunt may scare off the young bulls but the cow call will bring them in.
Start raking the bush and smaller bulls will turn tail. Bigger dominant bulls will hang around for a fight but if not rutting they won't bother.
It is actually quite amazing how high up moose will go in the summer / early fall.