PDA

View Full Version : Peace Region: 7-42

levind
08-19-2022, 08:43 PM
Hey does anyone have any info or spots in 7-42 for Moose and/or Elk?
(Would mostly be focusing on moose).

Also if anyone can has any spots, camping spots, tips, strategies, etc. Please feel free to private message me too.

If you can please let me know about something that would be great.
Thanks!

HappyJack
08-20-2022, 07:57 AM
What would you call 'making it worth going up there'? A nice camping spot, no other hunters, a moose/elk behind every stump, grizzly bears that don't eat hunters????

Personally I usually just suggest the best place to go is the Del Rio, Jackfish Lake.

levind
08-20-2022, 12:40 PM
Also I was looking at Buckinghorse area in 7-42. Does anyone know if it is decent there for elk and/or moose?

ratherbefishin
08-20-2022, 01:44 PM
I haven’t gone moose hunting for years ,but I would like to find some place where I could go on a good trip with my boys and grandsons .not looking for trophies,just good trip,shoot some grouse ,do some fishing and Hopefuly harvest an animal.Got my 19’ Grumman square back and a quad,

igojuone
08-20-2022, 01:46 PM
Also I was looking at Buckinghorse area in 7-42. Does anyone know if it is decent there for elk and/or moose?

You're going to see way more moose than elk in those parts. Drove the area for 7 years in the oil/gas industry and only recall seeing very few elk in that time. They're there, but usually closer to farmers fields which are everywhere. Good chance you'll see caribou before you see elk.
Keep an eye out for wolves and take as many as you can.

levind
08-20-2022, 01:50 PM
Thanks so much igojuone!

igojuone
08-20-2022, 01:52 PM

Before Buckinghorse and before dropping down the Sikanni Chief on the left is S. Sikanni Rd at mile 156, just a few clicks in on the right is Duhu Lake Rec site and not far from there is Lily lake. I do recall finding an elk mud hole and other sign. So many grouse that year we had to stop shooting them.

levind
08-20-2022, 01:57 PM
Hey Igojuone, just sent you a PM if you are willing to talk more about the area.

levind
08-20-2022, 02:36 PM
Also does anyone have any more info they would be able to share? (Camps, spots, strategies, tips, etc.) for the area.

Norwestalta
08-20-2022, 02:46 PM
You are driving thru lots of elk and moose country to get there. If you're looking for adventure and some place new gi'ver

Arctic Lake
08-20-2022, 03:45 PM
Out of curiosity as I don’t have the regulations in front of me is that GOS ? Antler size restrictions ? I know some fellas on here are very up on the B.C. Hunting regulations . Is there any GOS for moose in B.C. now ?
Arctic Lake

Norwestalta
08-20-2022, 07:13 PM
One thing else I've got to add is it can be a very sticky muddy quagmire you can get yourself into. Be prepared. If the oil companies operate around there like here, there is very little to zero road maintenance going on.

levind
08-21-2022, 07:57 AM
Is there any other info I should know about the region? Also if I go is it worth it to take the ATV on the trail to Redfern Lake to hunt in there?

HappyJack
08-21-2022, 07:57 AM
Out of curiosity as I don’t have the regulations in front of me is that GOS ? Antler size restrictions ? I know some fellas on here are very up on the B.C. Hunting regulations . Is there any GOS for moose in B.C. now ?
Arctic Lake

2 two day openings with all the antler restrictions [spike, tri palm, 10 pt] is all that is left for GOS up there, a lot of people won't bother to travel that far for a two day opening....which was the govts idea of course.

huntingfamily
08-21-2022, 09:40 AM
2 two day openings with all the antler restrictions [spike, tri palm, 10 pt] is all that is left for GOS up there, a lot of people won't bother to travel that far for a two day opening....which was the govts idea of course.

Wrong. Better read the reg's...

Ctonwon
08-21-2022, 09:40 AM
I don't know how consistent this is with anyone else. But I used to hunt that area and It fell very quiet in recent years. I heard that there's a ton of wolves up there these days and they're taking a serious toll on the population. Last few times we took moose out of the area they walked in silent to our calls.

levind
08-21-2022, 09:51 AM
For elk, how far into region 7-42 do you need to go to have decent chances at getting a 6 point?

levind
08-21-2022, 05:22 PM
Also is it worth it to buy a sheep and/or mountain goat tag for 7-42? Is it really hard to find them?
If you are willing to give some info, please private message me.

Thanks!

Thunderstix
08-21-2022, 07:43 PM
I would say no to goat (closed until way in there due to ease of access) and sheep is an adventure and commitment that you may not have time for if focusing on moose and elk…whitetail tag though as is any buck

stoneramhunter
08-21-2022, 07:51 PM
I would say no to goat (closed until way in there due to ease of access) and sheep is an adventure and commitment that you may not have time for if focusing on moose and elk…whitetail tag though as is any buck

i tend to agree with thunderstix on this one.

levind
08-21-2022, 08:31 PM
Thanks so much guys!

levind
08-22-2022, 11:22 AM
Does anyone know where Cypress Peak or Cypress Ridge is in 7-42?
I heard about a place called something like that.

levind
08-22-2022, 09:02 PM
Also does anyone have any input on whether it is worth it to go all the way up to region 7-42 from Metro Vancouver. Looking for a place with a decent moose population and a place that has a good chance of getting one. It would be a bonus if there were also a good elk population.
If we were to go we would be hunting with ATVs + Walking.

Private Message me if you are willing to share your thoughts and experiences.
Thanks!