PDA

View Full Version : Shepherd Scope?

wolverine
11-25-2007, 04:33 PM
I've been looking for a ranging/long range type of scope and have looked at just about everything, at least in my price range. I like the Nikon Monarch series and have one for one of my rifles but I am looking hard at the Shepherd line. It seems to make more sense to me for a hunting application than a mil dot reticle because once you set it up it's so fast to range with. That and the fact that when you adjust for windage, the verticle reticle actually moves. You can see that you have made the adjustment and that in order to shoot again at zero, you have to move it back. Just wondering what the actual glass is like. Some say it's as good as Leopold or Nikon. Anyone out there using one of these or know any more about it?

boxhitch
11-25-2007, 11:35 PM
I've been with a couple of hunters with these scopes, and they both had trouble sighting properly on longer shots. May have been a lack of familiarity, but had trouble getting the second and third shot in at ~3-350 yds. May have been that target did not match default mulie size.

model88
11-26-2007, 11:50 AM
I also had a hunter one year that had a Shepard scope. He seemed too think it was the greatest, hunts all over the world with it. He was definantly familiar with it. We only hunted together a few days, unfortunantly he never got a shot. But I know the year before he killed a goat at 400yrds.

I took a shot at the range with it, I didn't like it myself, found it too busy if that makes sense.

wolverine
11-26-2007, 06:12 PM
I also had a hunter one year that had a Shepard scope. He seemed too think it was the greatest, hunts all over the world with it. He was definantly familiar with it. We only hunted together a few days, unfortunantly he never got a shot. But I know the year before he killed a goat at 400yrds.

I took a shot at the range with it, I didn't like it myself, found it too busy if that makes sense.
Yup, I can see that. I'm not used to having all that stuff in my scope either. It seems that it's one of those love/hate issues. You either love it or hate it, there's no middle of the road. I just thought it made more sense to me than mil dots. Too much calculating when you have an animal in the glass. You order the Shepherd for the type of bullet you are shooting. The circles in the reticle default at 18 and 24 inches. Apparently 18 is the average size of a deer from the back to the brisket. Moose and Elk are supposed to be 24". I just don't want to spend that kind of money and wind up with something I don't like and something I can't sell. The concept seems good though.:icon_frow Thanks for the input guys.

boxhitch
11-27-2007, 09:58 PM
There are several scopes available that have dots or diamonds to match the ballistics of given cartridges. They are spaced to indicate 2,3,400 or 3,4,500 yd. usually. no calcs needed, just a range finder.

jharhod
07-25-2009, 04:35 PM
hmm, my uncle just gave me a shepard scope for some work around his yard and stuff. looks cool but havent tried it out yet

KodiakHntr
07-25-2009, 05:58 PM
Why not just buy a Leupold with an elevation turret on it? Or buy the Leupold, and spring the $120 and have one put on it in Okotoks?

If you watch, you can find a used Leica rangefinder every now and again for around $300, and it will work with ALL of your rifles......

Just a thought.

zimbu
07-28-2009, 01:48 AM
I went LR shooting with a couple guys awhile back. One guy had two of them, one on a .223 weatherby vanguard that was consistantly ringing a 9" gong @ 732yd, and the other on a 7mm rem mag Sendero that walked in on an 18" rock with three shots at 1440yd. I think you either love them or hate them for what they are.

dutchie
07-28-2009, 12:22 PM
I had a Sheperd Scope, The 310-P1 and the glass was great except that when the sun hits the scope there is alot of interfearance.

I would rate the quality of the Glass as Great equal to a Leupold VX3, Zeiss Conquest, Kahles, or other Higher quality scopes.

I never had a problem with the one shot Zero, but I got alot of practice because if it ever got bumped then it would Lose its Zero very easy.

The problem is that the scope is set for the size of an animal, there is a Moose redical, Deer and Antalope Redical for the distance. it is based on the 18" kill zone of a Moose, and 8-10" kill zone on a Deer/Antalope. So if you are hunting Moose or Black Bear, and then the next week you are hunting deer the range finding aspect is usless.

Would I reccomend this scope for Glass alone, Absolutly, But I think that you can get a better scope with out the range finding radical and get a good Range Finder for a few hundred more and have dead on accuracy every time rather then having to change the scope for the animals you are hunting.

Just the 2 cents of a past Sheperd Owner!

Dutchie

wolverine
07-28-2009, 08:00 PM
Wow! Holy Resurection Batman! I started this thread a long time ago. I still haven't purchased the Shepherd but have looked at the KING OPTICS scope. That one looks even more interesting and I have talked to a few guys that have one and they love it. If you are interested check out their website. Thanks for the input fellas.

daycort
07-29-2009, 05:46 PM
If guys are truelly looking at some long range shooting why not check out them huskamaw scopes.

heard lots of good things about them.