PDA

View Full Version : B.C. government has banned the hunting of black bears

MRP
07-23-2022, 10:57 AM
I didn’t see it posted. It’s just the start of the wedge.

“The B.C. government has banned the hunting of black bears in the territories of the Kitasoo/Xai'xais and Gitga'at First Nations in the Great Bear Rainforest, in response to a joint proposal by the nations to protect one of the rarest bear species on the planet: the spirit bear.”

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/spirit-bear-black-bear-hunting-ban-1.6525954

dakoda62
07-23-2022, 01:47 PM
Spirit bears have never had an open season
Up

Night Hawk 3
07-23-2022, 02:17 PM
This is not new, in fact it’s very old news at this point and has only just become official.

Having lived in this territory and worked amongst the people of this area, I understand their position on this but don’t entirely agree with an outright closure.

NH3

Blacktail
07-23-2022, 03:14 PM
eventually gonna be an uptick with "problem" bears.
didnt take long for Ontario to figure it out when they outright banned spring bear season

MichelD
07-23-2022, 04:16 PM
I think it makes a lot of sense to shut down bear hunting there to protect the genes of the Kermode bear.

It's not like there is a lot of bear hunting on Princess Royal, Gribbel or Roderick Islands or Kitkiata Inlet anyway.

It's not quite the part of the world where they experience bear problems.

Bugle M In
07-23-2022, 06:11 PM
There are times when certain species need to be protected fully.
Kermodes certainly are one of them, imo.

hawk-i
07-23-2022, 06:53 PM

I don't think Kermode bears are a species on to themselves but merely a colour phase of a black bear, I could be wrong though :)

Bugle M In
07-23-2022, 07:57 PM
I don't think Kermode bears are a species on to themselves but merely a colour phase of a black bear, I could be wrong though :)
More of a genetic thing, but still pretty rare and thus the area is unique.

MRP
07-23-2022, 08:53 PM
They are not a species they are a genetic defect. Joyce Hornady of Hornady Bullets tried to get then recognized as a separate bear species in the 40s or 50s I think and failed. No hunting of black bears will soon be province wide. I hope I’m wrong but I don’t think so.

TheObserver
07-23-2022, 09:07 PM
I didn’t see it posted. It’s just the start of the wedge.

“The B.C. government has banned the hunting of black bears in the territories of the Kitasoo/Xai'xais and Gitga'at First Nations in the Great Bear Rainforest, in response to a joint proposal by the nations to protect one of the rarest bear species on the planet: the spirit bear.”

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/spirit-bear-black-bear-hunting-ban-1.6525954

Easy on the clickbait(title) bud, you might give someone a heart attack..... I felt it

HappyJack
07-24-2022, 08:25 AM
They are not a species they are a genetic defect. Joyce Hornady of Hornady Bullets tried to get then recognized as a separate bear species in the 40s or 50s I think and failed. No hunting of black bears will soon be province wide. I hope I’m wrong but I don’t think so.

Correct, they should be weeding the genetics out of the line before the white gene takes over and there are no more black bears. Imagine a world where most of our bears are white.

high horse Hal
07-24-2022, 08:34 AM
genetic? yes
defect? no more than blonde, cinnamon, or chocolate

interesting many bears are born non-black but revert to black as they mature, including whites

REMINGTON JIM
07-24-2022, 10:07 AM
White only belongs on POLAR Bears ! :D RJ

scoutlt1
07-24-2022, 04:13 PM
It's likely the shutting down of the Grizzly hunt will do more "harm" to the white black bears out there than this latest ban.

180grainer
07-24-2022, 05:26 PM
It's likely the shutting down of the Grizzly hunt will do more "harm" to the white black bears out there than this latest ban.
If there are grizzly's there, that will certainly be the case. Probably some huge Grizz walking around there in four or five years. Maybe they'll reinstitute the Grizzly hunt for that area. You know. To save the White Bear and raise money for its habitat.

Bigdoggdon
07-25-2022, 11:27 PM
they should be weeding the genetics out of the line before the white gene takes over and there are no more black bears. Imagine a world where most of our bears are white.

Not really a chance that one specific colour phase will take over completely. If that was how genetics worked we wouldn't have people with blue eyes anymore.

Linksman313
07-26-2022, 10:44 AM
Funny we took the kids to the Calgary Zoo this year, my daughter wanted to compare the sizes of wolves in captivity with ones we have harvested in the wild. Could not help but notice the blonde colorphase "spirit" bear wandering around her cage looking "really" happy. How the hell can FN be fine with that but want to ban reductions in bear populations?
Seriously she looked pitiful in there
Links

ps wolf report, daughter could not believe how skinny and docile the captive wolves were vs wild, i don't think we will ever go back

HappyJack
07-26-2022, 12:22 PM
Funny we took the kids to the Calgary Zoo this year, my daughter wanted to compare the sizes of wolves in captivity with ones we have harvested in the wild. Could not help but notice the blonde colorphase "spirit" bear wandering around her cage looking "really" happy. How the hell can FN be fine with that but want to ban reductions in bear populations?
Links

ps wolf report, daughter could not believe how skinny and docile the captive wolves were vs wild, i don't think we will ever go back

Are you sure the FNs are fine with it? I don't think they've had much say on what kind of animals are kept in zoo's but I could be mistaken.

Jamesonm
07-26-2022, 10:47 PM

It will not be province wide. No need to catastrophize the situation to something it is not.

Jamesonm
07-26-2022, 10:51 PM
Links

It's important ppl living in a city have interactions with animals. Captive or not.

Ppl will always have something to complain about.

Bear Chaser
07-26-2022, 11:12 PM
Links

I despise zoos for this very reason.
Predators of all kinds should not be penned.
They are not herbivores who quickly adapt to a sedentary and docile life.