PDA

View Full Version : Authorization to carry success?

Lozzie
07-22-2022, 09:24 AM
Just curious if there are any hunters in the group that have been successful in receiving an ATC for remote area hunting? I read the RCMP websites which states you can apply for an ATC for defense against dangerous wildlife just curious if anyone outside of guides and people working in the bush have received one?

Drillbit
07-22-2022, 10:07 AM
I only know one guy that has one of those.
I saw him at the range doing his yearly qualifying shooting

He’s a pipeline surveyor, in and out of helicopters all the time

Brew
07-22-2022, 10:18 AM
I have my work atc. I can try calling and see if they would issue me a permit for my northern hunt this year. I would suspect it would be easier for someone to get a permit for their hunting trip if they already have a work atc.
in all honesty the paperwork and proficiency test along with how slow they are at sending out the permits it’s not worth the hassle. Every two years I dread renewing my permit. My last renewal took them 4 months to approve.

tyyota
07-22-2022, 10:25 AM
I had an ATC for 5 years. They will not grant an ATC unless it is used in employment. I assure you they will not issue one for a recreational purpose.

IronNoggin
07-22-2022, 03:49 PM
I had an ATC for 5 years. They will not grant an ATC unless it is used in employment. I assure you they will not issue one for a recreational purpose.

This.

As a field biologist working in the Arctic, I had a carry permit for many many years.
It covered the NWT, Yukon, BC, Alberta & Saskatchewan.
Pretty much anywhere, any time.

When we moved south I was informed I would never be issued one again, even if working in grizzly habitat.
Fought that. Lost.
Most bio's I know have had their permits revoked or have been refused re-issue.

No way in hell they will allow on for personal defense when hunting. Ever.

Nog

Lozzie
07-22-2022, 05:50 PM
Thanks for the info, wasn’t any small print on the website so I thought I would ask the question.

firebird
07-22-2022, 06:54 PM
Had one for flying, carried a .44 mag. New some guys with ones for trapping they only could carry a .22

The big question from the RCMP was why can’t you carry a long gun.

backcountry98
07-22-2022, 07:54 PM
Get a 44 mag mares leg they are not restricted.

tigrr
07-22-2022, 08:06 PM
An old RCMP member once told me something about being judged by 12 than be carried by 6. Shrug.
I never break any laws myself.

Norwestalta
07-22-2022, 08:50 PM
I had one for work and the farm. It was good for ab/bc. I found that it was a pita to have because if I was on my quad it was supposed to be stored in accordance as a motor vehicle. I also didn't like something that I might have to rely on being exposed to the blood, the mud and the piss and the shit when I would've rather carried it in a shoulder holster. Personally I would recommend the proper protocol of being judged by 12 then carried by 6 and do things accordingly.

One thing I don't understand is a trapper can discharge his restricted pistol for dispatch but i/we can't on my private farm land.

Brew
07-22-2022, 09:21 PM
This.

As a field biologist working in the Arctic, I had a carry permit for many many years.
It covered the NWT, Yukon, BC, Alberta & Saskatchewan.
Pretty much anywhere, any time.

When we moved south I was informed I would never be issued one again, even if working in grizzly habitat.
Fought that. Lost.
Most bio's I know have had their permits revoked or have been refused re-issue.

No way in hell they will allow on for personal defense when hunting. Ever.

Nog

I find it weird that they cancelled yours or said they wouldn’t issue again do to living in the south. I live in the lower mainland and work up and down the coast and mines good for all of bc and the Yukon. I don’t know about you but I have had way more problems with black bears in guiding days and now my forestry job.

ryanb
07-22-2022, 10:21 PM
I've had one in the past associated with employment, it wasn't as hard to get as I thought it would be. There was never a "proficiency check", is that something new?

Fact of the matter is I think it's a bit of a liability issue if they deny without a good reason and you end up getting chewed on by a bear

twoSevenO
07-22-2022, 11:06 PM
It has recently come to my attention that some folks head into the bush with their handguns. When I inquired a bit more into it I realized they weren't even aware they were breaking the law.

When they responded with "oh they'll never check anyways because what's the chance of getting searched?" I pointed out they could simply be involved in an accident and have it discovered by first responders on scene they seemed to have a bitnof a Eureka moment ... :/

My question is: what is the actual punishment you face if you were to get busted transporting an handgun to and from the bush?

firebird
07-23-2022, 06:36 AM
I've had one in the past associated with employment, it wasn't as hard to get as I thought it would be. There was never a "proficiency check", is that something new?

Fact of the matter is I think it's a bit of a liability issue if they deny without a good reason and you end up getting chewed on by a bear

At renewal time you had to ‘qualify’ with your pistol in front of an instructor. Can’t remember the target circle size now. But a black bears kill spots about 3” when facing you.

firebird
07-23-2022, 06:38 AM
I find it weird that they cancelled yours or said they wouldn’t issue again do to living in the south. I live in the lower mainland and work up and down the coast and mines good for all of bc and the Yukon. I don’t know about you but I have had way more problems with black bears in guiding days and now my forestry job.

Things obviously have changed over the years. Mine was only go for above a certain parallel. I lived below it. But worked/flew above it.

Norwestalta
07-23-2022, 06:48 AM
It has recently come to my attention that some folks head into the bush with their handguns. When I inquired a bit more into it I realized they weren't even aware they were breaking the law.

When they responded with "oh they'll never check anyways because what's the chance of getting searched?" I pointed out they could simply be involved in an accident and have it discovered by first responders on scene they seemed to have a bitnof a Eureka moment ... :/

My question is: what is the actual punishment you face if you were to get busted transporting an handgun to and from the bush?

Did you save the world and report them?
Couple years ago a guy around swan hills shot and killed a grizz bear with his pistol. They powers that be were more upset about the bear but I think they did take the guys gun. I'm not sure about the exact outcome other then dead bear and a alive guy?

Ron.C
07-23-2022, 07:25 AM

Here's a couple charges to ponder. I'm not a lawyer and not saying these would apply( I think the first one would). I'm assuming an ATT would not be valid if it's clear you were not not transporting it to/from a range or gunsmith. And according the the firearms act a vehicle means any conveyance that is used for transportation by water, land or air, so you truck, atv, boat.

Anyhow, a couple examples of what you'd might be looking at. There are most certainly other charges for that matter but 5 years/10 years for these 2 as an example.

Not to mention the fact you would most certainly loose your PAL/RPAL. In my case, I'm a defense contractor and I would also lose my job (even if I didn't serve jail time) as I hold a security clearance at work that would be revolked.

Possession at unauthorized place

93 (1) Subject to subsection (3), every person commits an offence who, being the holder of an authorization or a licence under which the person may possess a prohibited firearm, a restricted firearm, a non-restricted firearm, a prohibited weapon, a restricted weapon, a prohibited device or prohibited ammunition, possesses them at a place that is

(a) indicated on the authorization or licence as being a place where the person may not possess it;
(b) other than a place indicated on the authorization or licence as being a place where the person may possess it; or
(c) other than a place where it may be possessed under the Firearms Act (https://laws-lois.justice.gc.ca/eng/acts/F-11.6).

Marginal note:Punishment
(2) Every person who commits an offence under subsection (1)

(a) is guilty of an indictable offence and liable to imprisonment for a term not exceeding five years; or
(b) is guilty of an offence punishable on summary conviction.

Unauthorized possession in motor vehicle

94 (1) Subject to subsections (3) and (4), every person commits an offence who is an occupant of a motor vehicle in which the person knows there is a prohibited firearm, a restricted firearm, a non-restricted firearm, a prohibited weapon, a restricted weapon, a prohibited device, other than a replica firearm, or any prohibited ammunition, unless

(a) in the case of a prohibited firearm, a restricted firearm or a non-restricted firearm,

(i) the person or any other occupant of the motor vehicle is the holder of

(A) a licence under which the person or other occupant may possess the firearm, and
(B) in the case of a prohibited firearm or a restricted firearm, an authorization and a registration certificate for it,

(ii) the person had reasonable grounds to believe that any other occupant of the motor vehicle was the holder of

(A) a licence under which that other occupant may possess the firearm, and
(B) in the case of a prohibited firearm or a restricted firearm, an authorization and a registration certificate for it, or

(iii) the person had reasonable grounds to believe that any other occupant of the motor vehicle was a person who could not be convicted of an offence under this Act by reason of sections 117.07 to 117.1 or any other Act of Parliament; and

(b) in the case of a prohibited weapon, a restricted weapon, a prohibited device or any prohibited ammunition,

(i) the person or any other occupant of the motor vehicle is the holder of an authorization or a licence under which the person or other occupant may transport the prohibited weapon, restricted weapon, prohibited device or prohibited ammunition, or
(ii) the person had reasonable grounds to believe that any other occupant of the motor vehicle was

(A) the holder of an authorization or a licence under which the other occupant may transport the prohibited weapon, restricted weapon, prohibited device or prohibited ammunition, or
(B) a person who could not be convicted of an offence under this Act by reason of sections 117.07 to 117.1 or any other Act of Parliament.

Marginal note:Punishment
(2) Every person who commits an offence under subsection (1)

(a) is guilty of an indictable offence and liable to imprisonment for a term not exceeding ten years; or
(b) is guilty of an offence punishable on summary conviction.

Bernie O
07-23-2022, 08:28 AM
Upon carefull reading of the above act it would appear that the law only applies to people that have an rpal. Are we not surprised that these laws dont apply to criminals. If you want to carry the first thing to do is give up your rpal.

HappyJack
07-23-2022, 08:32 AM
Upon carefull reading of the above act it would appear that the law only applies to people that have an rpal. Are we not surprised that these laws dont apply to criminals. If you want to carry the first thing to do is give up your rpal.

I have to agree with those sentiments, it's all a bit stupid. They have an irrational fear of legal handgun ownership and use.

Brew
07-23-2022, 11:08 AM
I’ve had my atc for seven years now. For me there has always been a questionnaire to fill out and paperwork for the one or two guns I want on my atc and then a proficiency test for both pistols. The proficiency test is quite the joke. It’s so extremely easy My non shooter of a wife could pass it.

Redthies
07-23-2022, 12:40 PM

Yeah, it’s pretty absurd. You are only guilty IF you posses a licence or authorization?

The next one I find interesting is you are also guilty if you are the passenger in a vehicle where the driver has a restricted/prohib where it isn’t supposed to be. I’m sure that’s aimed directly at poverty stricken gang members in a car with only one gun between them.

HappyJack
07-24-2022, 08:28 AM
Yeah, it’s pretty absurd. You are only guilty IF you posses a licence or authorization?

The next one I find interesting is you are also guilty if you are the passenger in a vehicle where the driver has a restricted/prohib where it isn’t supposed to be. I’m sure that’s aimed directly at poverty stricken gang members in a car with only one gun between them.

That would be profiling wouldn't it? I'd sure be pissed if we got charged for something like that and didn't have any idea there was a handgun in the vehicle.

IronNoggin
07-24-2022, 12:28 PM
I find it weird that they cancelled yours or said they wouldn’t issue again do to living in the south.

Happened when I went to renew it.
RCMP Sargent I discussed the matter with simply stated "You biologist types are being herded out of that. Don't expect you will ever see one again".
And I haven't.

At the same time they were indeed well cutting back on the numbers of atc's being issued.
Among my colleagues, many who still work in the North, most were refused and told to carry a short shotgun.
Do-able, but bothersome. When both hands are busy, the scattergun tends to be set aside.

Cheers,
Nog

wsquared
07-24-2022, 03:02 PM
Myself and a friend had an ATC for approx 10 years associated with having a Free Miners Certificate. ( last held one approx 10 years ago). I'd have to rummage through my records for exact dates.

The qualification shoot came into place during this time interval. As mentioned previously, straightforward to meet the criteria.

These things were issued /or not at the discretion/whim of the Chief Firearms Officer, so not sure of the current status.

I did help a local trapper jump through the hoops for his ATC.

Jrax
07-26-2022, 08:26 PM
I’ve had my atc for seven years now. For me there has always been a questionnaire to fill out and paperwork for the one or two guns I want on my atc and then a proficiency test for both pistols. The proficiency test is quite the joke. It’s so extremely easy My non shooter of a wife could pass it.

can a forestry worker in BC apply for it? i walked into a grizzly kill on july25th and it got me thinking about it. I spend alot of time in remote camps in wall tents and walking in the bush

Brew
07-26-2022, 08:35 PM
can a forestry worker in BC apply for it? i walked into a grizzly kill on july25th and it got me thinking about it. I spend alot of time in remote camps in wall tents and walking in the bush

yes sir. I’m in forestry. I buy logs and do heli logging and I didn’t have a problem getting it. You have to have your supervisor sign off on it however.

KodiakHntr
07-26-2022, 09:58 PM
Same as Brew, I didn’t have any problem at all either. I think I did a phone interview though and the guy asked why I couldn’t carry a short shotgun. “Well, I had 4 tubes of ribbon and 3 litres of water in my vest that kept me from reaching the shotgun I was carrying strapped over my shoulder, hanging onto alders with both hands and fighting to get my foot on the ground when I stepped in a grizzly kill. If he’d made contact my only hope would have been a pistol in one hand”

Paint the picture on your application and you’ll have better luck. It’s pretty easy for someone to say “a shotgun will be more effective” when they are picturing you strolling through a fir stand with 90 meters of vis, versus telling you that if they are picturing you under a bear upside down in a 80% sidewalled creek draw and caught in alders and club with the bear chewing your hand as you fight to use the other to pull a psitol from the wrong side of your body and it’s your only chance to not be a statistic.