PDA

View Full Version : Reg 8 Grizz

Sharkey
11-24-2007, 07:54 PM
I see in the synopsis that there is no open season on Grizz in Region 8 - do they offer it by LEH or is it just not done in this area?
~D

Will
11-24-2007, 08:00 PM
I see in the synopsis that there is no open season on Grizz in Region 8 - do they offer it by LEH or is it just not done in this area?
~D
Of course I could be wrong but there is no "open season" on Grizz anywhere in BC:wink:

Doesn't look like there is a Reg 8 LEH either..........

Will
11-24-2007, 08:09 PM
Oops............:oops:

just checked my "NEW" LEH regs and there is indeed a Grizz draw for Reg 8. :wink:

OKANAGAN REGION 8 (See LEH Map 8B for zone boundaries)

3221 Monashee 8-24* Apr. 1-June 5 Adult only
* Also includes a portion of M.U. 8-23.

BCbillies
11-24-2007, 08:12 PM
No GOS for Grizz in BC - LEH only. Only one area to hunt grizz in Region 8 -new LEH in 8-24(including part of 8-23) for Spring 2008. Compared to many
other areas in BC, Region 8 would have fewer grizz numbers but perhaps on the rise like everywhere else! Should relocate a few to Stanley Park and let them roam :p

Alpine85
11-24-2007, 08:32 PM
No GOS for Grizz in BC - LEH only. Only one area to hunt grizz in Region 8 -new LEH in 8-24(including part of 8-23) for Spring 2008. Compared to many
other areas in BC, Region 8 would have fewer grizz numbers but perhaps on the rise like everywhere else! Should relocate a few to Stanley Park and let them roam :p

I doubt even a Grizz would eat the crack/meth heads in Stanley, not a lot of meat on them bones :tongue:

Phreddy
11-24-2007, 08:51 PM
Personally I think they're (the F&W folks) about as sharp as soccer balls with their transplant programs for Griz. Especially when it comes to areas like Manning Park.
I kow a lot of the local ranchers wouldn't hesitate to kill one if they found it near their grazing leases. The old Shoot, Shovel, and Shutup routine.

boxhitch
11-24-2007, 09:14 PM
I kow a lot of the local ranchers wouldn't hesitate to kill one if they found it near their grazing leases. The old Shoot, Shovel, and Shutup routine.Just more fear mongering. What number of saved calves would turn an honest rancher into a poaching thief ?

boxhitch
11-24-2007, 09:18 PM
~DNew LEH for spring 08, no permit quantity posted yet. In an area that has less G Bears than elsewhere in 8. The Squeaky Wheel wins one again.

Phreddy
11-24-2007, 10:14 PM
Just more fear mongering. What number of saved calves would turn an honest rancher into a poaching thief ?

According to one of the local ranchers......just one.

David Heitsman
11-24-2007, 11:40 PM
I grew up on a cattle / hay ranch south of Quesnel and we had grizzlies occaisonally. I can never recall an incident of bear kills, black or Griz.

We lost calves to coyotes all the time and the odd cow wouldn't return from our range leases,maybe those were bear kills but I kind of doubt it.

We did treat a calf that was cut by a Gbear but that was at our relatives ranch at Beaver Valley which is east of McLeese Lake.

Sharkey
11-24-2007, 11:50 PM
Only one area to hunt grizz in Region 8 -new LEH in 8-24(including part of 8-23) for Spring 2008.

That's kind of funny you said that - the reason I asked (aside from seing the price of a grizz tag being $80) is that a logger friend of mine just told me today that there's been one hanging around the cut block he's working in right now, which happens to be on the border of 8-24 and 8-23.
~D

BCbillies
11-25-2007, 01:13 AM
That's kind of funny you said that - the reason I asked (aside from seing the price of a grizz tag being $80) is that a logger friend of mine just told me today that there's been one hanging around the cut block he's working in right now, which happens to be on the border of 8-24 and 8-23.
~D

I betcha old Murphy will be with you on this one!;-) One year we see grizz and all sorts of sign in the clear cuts, then next year we get the tag and you guessed it - notta thing but blackies! And when you drop $80 you're going put in some effort and burn a few tanks of fuel.

Those two big grizz that were control killed on Hungry Hill (between Houston and Smithers) were known to take down a few cattle. They figured the first one (taken in 2001) had consumed upward of 40 cattle and the one taken in 2004 ate his fair share also. Those grizz were absolute hogs and I would love to have that one in the Smithers Airport in my living room - would definitely keep any Greenpeacers out of the house!:evil: