PDA

View Full Version : 2022 sheep gear list

robbiej793
07-16-2022, 09:22 AM
Not the first thread but new year new gear !
i'm missing a ball head for my tripod still
up for input and keen to see others this year

Fly in Sheep hunting gear Aug

ROB
total weight oz ea
ea

Clothing

darn tough sock mid weight x2

kuiu strong fleece gloves

kuiu strong fleece 210

kuiu glassing pad

mos net

kuiu chuc rain jacket

or gator

arcteryx puffy

rain pants

underwear x2

Equipment

vortex range finder 1000

swaro 20-60 x65 with spartin heavy adt

spartin adt pole

hybrid hunter 135g creedmoor ea x15

16oz msr fuel

8oz msr fuel

kuma 10k ma bank x2

first aid

kuiu 7200 bag only

kuiu carbon frame and suspension

110 ultralight w Leopold 4.5-14

vortex small bino harness

neox light thermarest

cookware

gsi pot

sea to summit small dry bag

event waterproof stuff

micro towel

3l greggs bladder

tent stakes

tent poles

tent

plat 8l water res

plat water filter gravity

black diamond poles

slik sprint pro II

garmin inreach

led lenser

patagonia -7c

rain pack cover

kill kit

game bags x3 for bag

havelon w case

first aid

Food

nuun hydration tabs x10`

alpine air creamy beef x2

alpine air grilled chicken quattro

alpine air spicy sausage

alpine air pot pie x2

alpine air mexican beef bowl

alpine air rustic 3 cheese lasagna

Mountain house creamy mac n cheese

pocket rocket

gas stand

oatmeal x18

oil

trail mix

beef jerky

chocolate bars x12

coffee x9

total bag

on body

cabelas meindl boots

Attack pants

kuiu ls peloton 118

Merino Sock

underwear under armour

Maybe this will help some other too ! happy hunting

PressurePoint
07-16-2022, 10:14 AM
Holy crap, well done. Very extensive well done list!

one thing I saw missing that I carry is gloves. I carry two pairs, one set of durable mechanic gloves for protection during the trek in, then a set of warm ones I use when glassing.

also I bring a pair of crappy foam flip flops I got from super store or old navy, can’t remember, and I wear them when setting up came or chilling out. A great way to let your feet relax, dry and cool off.

eatram
07-16-2022, 11:31 AM
Not the first thread but new year new gear !
i'm missing a ball head for my tripod still
up for input and keen to see others this year

Fly in Sheep hunting gear Aug

ROB
total weight oz ea
ea

Clothing

darn tough sock mid weight x2

kuiu strong fleece gloves

kuiu strong fleece 210

kuiu glassing pad

mos net

kuiu chuc rain jacket

or gator

arcteryx puffy

rain pants

underwear x2

Equipment

vortex range finder 1000

swaro 20-60 x65 with spartin heavy adt

spartin adt pole

hybrid hunter 135g creedmoor ea x15

16oz msr fuel

8oz msr fuel

kuma 10k ma bank x2

first aid

kuiu 7200 bag only

kuiu carbon frame and suspension

110 ultralight w Leopold 4.5-14

vortex small bino harness

neox light thermarest

cookware

gsi pot

sea to summit small dry bag

event waterproof stuff

micro towel

3l greggs bladder

tent stakes

tent poles

tent

plat 8l water res

plat water filter gravity

black diamond poles

slik sprint pro II

garmin inreach

led lenser

patagonia -7c

rain pack cover

kill kit

game bags x3 for bag

havelon w case

first aid

Food

nuun hydration tabs x10`

alpine air creamy beef x2

alpine air grilled chicken quattro

alpine air spicy sausage

alpine air pot pie x2

alpine air mexican beef bowl

alpine air rustic 3 cheese lasagna

Mountain house creamy mac n cheese

pocket rocket

gas stand

oatmeal x18

oil

trail mix

beef jerky

chocolate bars x12

coffee x9

total bag

on body

cabelas meindl boots

Attack pants

kuiu ls peloton 118

Merino Sock

underwear under armour

Maybe this will help some other too ! happy hunting

Besides your food choices, I can see that you've been in this game for a while. Good luck out there this year.

robbiej793
07-16-2022, 12:04 PM
Yes I’ll be packing slip on sandals, I’ll add that too the list. Im going to think over the warmer gloves that might be nice. East ram, you don’t like my food choices ? First time sheep hunting only have done an extended self guided tahr hunt in nz 6 years ago, and then 2-4 day deer hunts. Still lots of learning for me but very grateful for the forums and the people that have helped me along the way !

eatram
07-16-2022, 12:15 PM
Yes I’ll be packing slip on sandals, I’ll add that too the list. Im going to think over the warmer gloves that might be nice. East ram, you don’t like my food choices ? First time sheep hunting only have done an extended self guided tahr hunt in nz 6 years ago, and then 2-4 day deer hunts. Still lots of learning for me but very grateful for the forums and the people that have helped me along the way !

Your list looks very professional. It definitely fooled me in the way of your experience. That is a good thing. You shoulda seen my list in 2001, lol. As for food; I detest Alpine Aire. Personal choice. One piece of advice I will humbly offer you is this; TRY ALL OF YOUR FOOD BEFORE YOU HUNT. I know they are expensive. But food that is hard to eat at home is hard to eat out there. You need to eat out there. It is so easy to not eat enough because you are tired, or hot or not feeling it. This, though it usually isn't dangerous, will severely limit your success. It takes your head out of the game. With your head out of the game, you will come back with your tail between your legs. Don't let that happen over $150.

Good luck

Cabled
07-16-2022, 12:52 PM
Toilet paper. Baby wipes? Especially the baby wipes, critical in my opinion ��

Bustercluck
07-16-2022, 01:02 PM
Your list looks very professional. It definitely fooled me in the way of your experience. That is a good thing. You shoulda seen my list in 2001, lol. As for food; I detest Alpine Aire. Personal choice. One piece of advice I will humbly offer you is this; TRY ALL OF YOUR FOOD BEFORE YOU HUNT. I know they are expensive. But food that is hard to eat at home is hard to eat out there. You need to eat out there. It is so easy to not eat enough because you are tired, or hot or not feeling it. This, though it usually isn't dangerous, will severely limit your success. It takes your head out of the game. With your head out of the game, you will come back with your tail between your legs. Don't let that happen over $150.

Good luck

I dehydrate all of my own meals now. You can probably pay for a dehydrator in the savings from one ten day trip and the food is way better.

Mountain house seems counter productive for me as I get the shits shortly after eating it.

Bustercluck
07-16-2022, 01:15 PM
I’ll add a couple suggestions. I put everything on my list like rifle, magazine and ammo on separate lines just so I read everything and don’t forget one of the three.

parachord
bone saw
Small fixed blade knife
shit tape
Toothbrush toothpaste
tarp-optional
Sunscreen
moleskin
half role of electrical tape
advil/Tylenol/aleve/benadryl
bag cover
headlamp and batteries.
sunglasses
toque and maybe a neck warmer
pillow?

Edited items
solid fuel zip starters from the grocery store
3 bic lighters
I pack a small hatchet and the smallest plastic splitting wedge, but I might trade that for a silly saw this year.

I just kind of scanned over so maybe a couple of those things are on your list and I missed them. For clothes I usually wear shorts and gators as long as it’s nice out. I rarely put on pants. I have a few pairs of lulu lemon lined running shorts that do me well

Bustercluck
07-16-2022, 01:22 PM
And ultralight dry bags. Anything food related or scented doesn’t go into my bag ever and when I pull the dry bags out at the end of the day than I know it’s all out and I’m not forgetting something smelly for bears. I pack three of them. A two litre with all of my important odds and ends like batteries, sunscreen and stuff that I use kind of regularly, a 15 litre fro food and usually a 10 litre with some booze and any extras that don’t fit in my food bag.

robbiej793
07-16-2022, 02:18 PM
Yes I think I’ll get an extra dry bag for my food, do you hang it up every night, I get mixed reviews from sheep hunters, some say they just sleep right next to their pack with the food, I do have a toiletries and medicine list just haven’t put it on the spreadsheet. I also have a pacalarm in transit will be here this week .

Bustercluck
07-16-2022, 02:44 PM
My philosophy is this. I’d rather a bear eat my food than me.

if I’m in the alpine I try and hang it high enough off of the ground so small critters can’t get it and if there’s a tree around than I try and get it up a bit higher and hang a bear bell off of the bottom of it. My hopes is that I’ll hear the bell if anything is messing with it in the night. But if there’s no tree to hang it than it stays in the vestibule.

I don’t know if you saw the thread I posted recently about the black bear that shredded my tent, but it’s worth checking out. The bear ripped my tent open looking for me and screwed off when he figured out I wasn’t in there. If there was any food in there than he would’ve went for it, but if he found my food cache outside my tent than he would’ve likely left my tent alone, at least u til the next day. It’s a one in a million thing to happen.

Some food for thought.

I can bump it if you want.

Dirty
07-16-2022, 03:34 PM
I dehydrate all of my own meals now. You can probably pay for a dehydrator in the savings from one ten day trip and the food is way better.

Mountain house seems counter productive for me as I get the shits shortly after eating it.

What types of meals or recipes are you using to make your own dehydrated meals ?

Bustercluck
07-16-2022, 03:38 PM
What types of meals or recipes are you using to make your own dehydrated meals ?
I mostly eat chili, spaghetti and a version of stuffed peppers. Sometimes I mix scrambled eggs with corn grits, salsa, peppers and powdered cheese.

I’m going to try a burrito recipe soon and mix some ground beef with beans and stuff and bring a few fresh wraps

I’ll post a couple recipes here shortly.

Bustercluck
07-16-2022, 03:55 PM
This is what I use for heating my food. I usually put a 1/4 to half the amount of hot water in with my food at lunch time of mid afternoon and then warm it up with the rest of the water at dinner time.

https://i.imgur.com/zlDXZQr.jpg

Here’s my chili recipe. I throw all of this right in the slow cooker with one pound of raw lean ground beef, 2 tablespoons brown sugar, one tablespoon chili powder and optional 1/2 to full pack of taco seasoning. When dehydrating just measure out a portion sized bowl and put it on its own tray and you’ll have a portioned meal after dehydrating. For rehydrating my rule of thumb is to cover the food and just a bit more water seems to be pretty close with everything I make.

https://i.imgur.com/ohEhBA0.jpg

stoneramhunter
07-16-2022, 04:14 PM
Nice List

You might consider

Salt for the cape
bug spray
sil tarp
parachute cord or line
mole skin or similar- nothing worse than sore feet
something to read if your stuck in your tent for several days:)

markathome
07-16-2022, 06:05 PM
You've got time to dehydrate every meal you need to. Over the years my partner and I have made a few hundred meals with a 100$ dehydrator. We just make big meals of whatever we're having for supper - 50% goes to supper - 50% goes to the dehydrator. You name it, we've dried it: pad thai, chili, shepherd's pie, peanut butter, curries, stews, pastas, etc etc etc... SO MUCH BETTER than store bought. Takes longer to re-hydrate in the field, but whatever.

Bustercluck
07-16-2022, 06:21 PM
You've got time to dehydrate every meal you need to. Over the years my partner and I have made a few hundred meals with a 100$ dehydrator. We just make big meals of whatever we're having for supper - 50% goes to supper - 50% goes to the dehydrator. You name it, we've dried it: pad thai, chili, shepherd's pie, peanut butter, curries, stews, pastas, etc etc etc... SO MUCH BETTER than store bought. Takes longer to re-hydrate in the field, but whatever.

That’s why I throw a bit of water in mid afternoon or a couple hours before I plan on eating. It makes a world of difference.

robbiej793
07-16-2022, 08:01 PM
I’m planning on bringing some oil to make the dehydrated meals taste better. Maybe when I have more time I’ll try making my own ! 20ft paradord salt and some other things I am bringing too ! I should have done better with populating the list. For reading I was going to download some audio books and maybe some movies lol ! Stashing another batter pack at the airstrip too just incase lol. I do plan on bringing 3 bagels with peanut butter and bacon to help keep the calories for the first couple days .

SR80
07-17-2022, 07:46 AM
I’ve never understood why Everyone says to bring moleskin. I tried it one time , because everyone says “better bring moleskin” that stuff is useless. It’ll last about 35 steps on your foot inside a boot. Grab some leukotape P off Amazon. It’s like $21 a roll and last years. If your prone to blisters, tape your feet before you even start hiking to prevent them before it’s too late. List looks good. Good luck on your trip! You might wanna invest in a better tripod eventually.

madcalfe
07-18-2022, 03:56 AM
i agree with the moleskin its junk.

Bustercluck
07-18-2022, 06:01 AM
i agree with the moleskin its junk.
I’ve been through a few packages of that stuff now and I can’t remember it not working. I don’t remember putting it on myself, but I’ve definitely used it on my kids and others in my group because I keep buying them.

Andrewh
07-18-2022, 06:27 AM
2lbs of salt if you plan on keeping hide for mount....

HarryToolips
07-18-2022, 07:06 AM
I agree with the siltarp, paracord, & moleskin comments: nice to have the siltarp for that extra barrier of protection from precip, the cord is so handy for a multitude of tasks, & with the moleskin I keep it in my first aid kit, if I have issues with it sticking I use medical tape...

Great work on that comprehensive list though, thanks for sharing it...

I have yet to do a sheep hunt but based off my experience with hike in camp hunting for elk/deer, I also recommend bringing a compass just in case your other forms of navigation fail, & I really love having electrolyte tabs with me: sometimes they can provide that real boost of energy one needs...

robbiej793
07-18-2022, 05:31 PM
I have a compass in my medical bag too ! I have some other blister stuff in there too as I took out the moleskins due to them falling off ! As well as a roll of luko tape for repair, if I get some blisters I’ll try the luko that’s a good tip ! I’ve wanted a new tripod but the silk sprint just seems to do the job and I figured for sheep I’ll have it all the way lowered. Maybe next year though! Harry do you use the nuun electrolytes? I figured I’d have two tabs a day to help with hydration.

HarryToolips
07-18-2022, 09:53 PM
Sounds like you have it figured out Robbie, good on ya...make sure to start a thread with pics etc of your hunt...for electrolytes I use the Emergen-C packs and one other that I can't remember...

Fortunately for me and my partner, our elk spot last year had tonnes of wild black huckleberries that obviously provide excellent vitamins and electrolytes, so I look forward to that again this year..

kitnayakwa77
07-19-2022, 04:53 AM
Agreed on the dehydrated meals, I don’t know how people eat mtn house for 10 days...
dehydrated so much better!

a few things to consider for your list;

bug dope is essential
crocs
9 coffees seems like not enough!
I would ditch the water filter personally
contractor bag for keeping backpack clean and cooling meat in creeks
Fuzzy sleep socks
some sort of hydration drink mix
butter
small bag of steak spice

Blockcaver
07-19-2022, 06:01 AM
Binoculars? Maybe I missed them on your list but I use them about 20/1 over the spotting scope. I also like a phone scope for aging rams. You take photos, then enlarge them 5X and really see rings. Neat mementos to have the pictures later too. You Swaro is a fine spotter for that.

I use just under 1 oz of fuel per day with an MSR pocket rocket. Seems like like you are very heavy on fuel.

Good list, good luck!

Blockcaver
07-19-2022, 06:23 AM
As per the Slik Sprint Pro II tripod, I've made one work for 13 seasons. I de-tatch the center post (saves a few ozs and isn't stable anyway)and use the stock ball head that came on it. They are marginal but effective...and as you say, most of your glassing is sitting....and I always widen the stance out on the legs as its way more stable than the legs in the straighter upright position. Even have some very cool digiscoped photos taken thru the years.