PDA

View Full Version : Making Jerky

moosehunter12
11-24-2007, 05:50 PM
I have only Made Deer Jerky Once and it was not very good. I used teriyaki for the marinade so it came out black. What are some of the Marinades you can use? I like it to have the look of Beef Jerky. How do the Jerky presses work? Thanks for any help.

Shayne

Browningmirage
11-24-2007, 07:10 PM
if by jerky appearance you mean red...you need some preservative

Calamity Jane
11-24-2007, 07:15 PM
All the jerky I have ever made has always been black - just the nature of homemade jerky I guess. Always tastes yummers though. Usually don't follow a recipe, just add spices. Making it yourself is great cause you can experiment, we've done honey garlic, teriyaki, chilli, curry, and a really spicy one. Generally something different every time.
Never used a jerky press, just make sure that you really pound the meat out flat with a mallet.

Orangethunder
11-24-2007, 07:16 PM
I have had really good results with both burger and strips using the hi country stuff. I cook at 325 for about an hour a batch otherwise follow the instructions.

http://shop.himtnjerky.com/online/home.php?cat=255

BANG!
11-24-2007, 11:43 PM
How do you process ground meat into jerky - Orangethunder, you have me interested too. There's always some ground in the freezer and that would be a neat way to try something new with it. How do you move it from ground to jerky - and can you please explain as you would to a thirteen year old because I'm pretty new to this,

cheers and thanks in advance :lol:

3kills
11-24-2007, 11:46 PM
get the eastmans jerky mixes and try those...why would u pound the meat flat with a mallet???

burger to jerky...u can get a jerky gun kit from crappy tire or walmart for around 30 bucks i think and it has all the instructions in it...

7mm
11-25-2007, 12:02 AM
jerky gun from london drugs work, good spices are premixed taste real good and the dehydrater works real good end product is awsome also works for strip meat

Calamity Jane
11-25-2007, 12:16 AM
Pound it with a mallet to thin it out - it will shrink up when it dries. (I dry in the dehydrator, not sure if it would be different in the oven) If you don't pound it you usually end up with very thick, very chewy pieces that take you half an hour to chew through. At least that's what I've found. If you can slice it thin enough you won't need to pound so much or at all, but for those thicker peices it definetely improves the end product.
It might also depend alot on what cuts you are using as to how much they will shrink up? I'm not sure....

todbartell
11-25-2007, 12:36 AM
the Hi Country stuff is great

cracked pepper & garlic = Bartell Crack

hunter1947
11-25-2007, 06:54 AM
How i made jerky last year ,i use the same brim i used for smoked salmon ,hear is what i used ,2 cups of rock salt ,1/2 cup of soy sauce ,5 cutup and crushed garlic cloves ,5 cups of demerara brown sugar ,one table spoon of black pepper ,one 1/2 cup of red wine. I then mixed it all together. I then cut the strips of meat about a quarter inch thick ,then put it in my brim for 4hr ,then take out and wash of ,then dry with a cloth ,then put in a big chef smoker for 3hr or longer ,it depends how dry you like it ,just keep an eye on it ????.http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/images/icons/icon12.gif

tmarschall
11-25-2007, 07:35 AM
If you are new to making jerky, my suggestion is start small, there are more recipies for making jerky than there are people in the world. Small batches are good until you find what you like. FYI... you don't have to soak the meat in brine. I had been hunting for 25 years before I ever heard of soaking jerky in brine. We always just cut the meat in strips about 1/4 inch thick, maybe 3" or 4" long, using a carpet needle and twine, strung them up, put them in a 9" X 13" cake pan and covered them with spices... salt, pepper, brown sugar, chilli powder, cinnamon... whatever suits your fancy. Then hang it up to dry, or hang it up and smoke it. Just be sure you hang it where the water can drip and not cause a mess. The only modification to this process I have accepted over the years(did experiment with brine for a while) is to use a dehydrator rather than hanging the meat on twine. I put some aluminum foil under the dehydrator to catch the drippings. Have fun experimenting and enjoy!!!!!

betteroffishing
11-25-2007, 10:11 AM
if adding chemicals to your food doesnt bother you
add some meat tenderiser to your salt and sugar and youll end up with a slightly less blackened jerky, the sulphites will also help keep your jerky preserved longer w/out having to completely dehydrate it. if youve ever eaten a commercial jerky, youve eaten way worse than just meat tenderiser.
as well dont skip or skimp on the pounding step,

Elkhound
11-25-2007, 10:20 AM
we have always just used the Nesco American Harvest mix or the Eastmans mixes. Put in the jerky gun...squeeze into strips on the food dehydrator and wait a few hrs. Like candy. Cannot stop eating it. Super easy too

Kechika
11-25-2007, 04:49 PM
we have always just used the Nesco American Harvest mix or the Eastmans mixes. Put in the jerky gun...squeeze into strips on the food dehydrator and wait a few hrs. Like candy. Cannot stop eating it. Super easy too

After our "episode" yestreday iI wendt to London Drugs.Nesco dehydrater with the jerky gun and spices for 50 bucks.I dont neeed you anymore

Orangethunder
11-25-2007, 05:41 PM
How do you process ground meat into jerky - Orangethunder, you have me interested too. There's always some ground in the freezer and that would be a neat way to try something new with it. How do you move it from ground to jerky - and can you please explain as you would to a thirteen year old because I'm pretty new to this,

cheers and thanks in advance :lol:

Its way easier to use ground. Just mix in the cure and seasoning and let it cure overnight. After that you can use the caulking type gun or just take some saran wrap (its pretty sticky once cured) and press it by hand to about 1/4 thickness. You dont get the uniform strips like with the gun but the cleanup is way easier. After that put it on a rack over a cookie sheet. About an hour at 315-330C.

RMG
11-25-2007, 05:57 PM
I agree, the Jerky Cannon is the way to go, along with the pre packaged seasonings, by Eastmann or any of the others. I have tried the old slice and dice, a pinch of this and some of that and wasted more time and meat than I most can imagine. The Cannon is way easy, and foolproof too.

Canuck2
11-25-2007, 10:46 PM
As stated, there are many ways to make jerky. Here's the recipe I like.
http://www.angelfire.com/bc/canuck2/jerky.html

Elkhound
11-25-2007, 11:10 PM
After our "episode" yestreday iI wendt to London Drugs.Nesco dehydrater with the jerky gun and spices for 50 bucks.I dont neeed you anymore

You forget I have seen you shoot....if you use the jerky gun I bet you can't hit where you aim.:tongue:

You still need me:wink: