PDA

View Full Version : Hunting in Jasper...

BCHunterFSJ
07-13-2022, 11:15 PM
Does anybody know anything about this??

A section of Jasper National Park (https://globalnews.ca/tag/jasper-national-park/) is closed to the general public for a week to allow members of a B.C. First Nation to hunt on their traditionally used lands, which fall within the park boundary.
Parks Canada said it negotiated an agreement with Simpcw First Nation (http://www.simpcw.com/), which it says has been asking for several years to hold a harvest on their traditionally used lands. The move is part of reconciliation efforts between the government and Canada’s First Nations.

Hunters from a B.C. First Nation have returned from a traditional hunt in Jasper National Park after harvesting six animals over a five-day stretch.
The traditional harvest by members of the Simpcw First Nation, who live 70 kilometres north of Kamloops, took place from Oct. 6 to Oct. 10 near the Snaring River in the park.
Simpcw Chief Nathan Matthew says the hunt was very emotional for some. (Courtesy Thompson Rivers University)
Matthew called the hunt a success, as the group harvested six animals in total: three elk, two bighorn sheep and one whitetail deer, all of which will be shared by the community.

Brew
07-14-2022, 12:25 AM
I don’t know anything about it but being Fn myself and following normal hunting regulations I think it’s bullshit. Barrier is pretty far from jasper.

Bugle M In
07-14-2022, 12:45 AM
Most of been a real “hunters accomplishment!
Nothing like tagging an animal that just stands there and stares at you.
Oh, the stories they will tell their grandchildren……
Total bs.
Whats new.

TheObserver
07-14-2022, 05:26 AM
Shouldn't they be hunting with traditional methods when hunting traditional lands, example being no vehicles, no firearms, no compound or crossbows or even recurves, no bino's and so on and so forth

dakoda62
07-14-2022, 05:34 AM
As usual an indian asks, the government falls over themselves to comply.

RyoTHC
07-14-2022, 06:59 AM
****ing so funny that 40% of their harvest were bighorn sheep… the things they have on their back step in Kamloops… oh ya, they wanted trophy sheep out of jasper to sell… you know, their traditional way of raising Canadian dollars back when they were the “first people on North America” ha ha.

Bustercluck
07-14-2022, 07:30 AM
****ing so funny that 40% of their harvest were bighorn sheep… the things they have on their back step in Kamloops… oh ya, they wanted trophy sheep out of jasper to sell… you know, their traditional way of raising Canadian dollars back when they were the “first people on North America” ha ha.
Good to see you’re sticking to hunting stories and away from the drama…

hawk-i
07-14-2022, 07:58 AM
JMHO, if hunting is going to be allowed in Jasper park it should be by a Draw system free for all to apply nation wide because Jasper is a National Park...fair is fair.

HappyJack
07-14-2022, 08:09 AM
Nothing is fair in this world, our life is what we make it, being born into an elite class of people in Canada is a great privilege, following science I don't think that tiny harvest will hurt the game numbers in the Park so other than enflaming racist sentiments there isn't much point to this thread.

Avalanche123
07-14-2022, 08:16 AM
Nothing is fair in this world, our life is what we make it, being born into an elite class of people in Canada is a great privilege, following science I don't think that tiny harvest will hurt the game numbers in the Park so other than enflaming racist sentiments there isn't much point to this thread.

I agree....nothing surprises me these days.Certainly it makes me shake my head...but it reflects on FN level of entitlement...

HappyJack
07-14-2022, 08:20 AM
I agree....nothing surprises me these days.Certainly it makes me shake my head...but it reflects on FN level of entitlement...

Entitlement? It's a actually a Right. I really don't see any need for them to exercise those rights inside of a national park other than 'if you don't exercise a right you lose it'.

Bernie O
07-14-2022, 08:23 AM
This actually happened about 5 years ago. The reason stated by the first nation at the time was to keep their traditional rights active for furure generations.

Retiredguy
07-14-2022, 09:16 AM
Well this is no big surprise really. I have assumed this would be going on for some time now. If you were paying attention when they created the new "National Parks" in the north, the local First Nations/Inuit still were able to exercise their traditional rights to hunt/trap/fish in the those parks. First Nations have been going into other National Parks and killing game for some time, like Riding Mountain National Park in Manitoba, etc. You had to know it would expand as if some are allowed, why aren't all of them allowed some access to hunt/trap/fish on all the other National Parks that are in First Nations "Traditional" hunting areas...which is all National Parks.

Walking Buffalo
07-14-2022, 10:48 AM
Link to the story?

When did this hunt happen?

Walking Buffalo
07-14-2022, 11:06 AM
Is this the story?
From 2017.

First Nation traditional hunters harvest 6 animals in Jasper National Park | CBC News (https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmonton/simpcw-first-nation-traditional-hunt-jasper-park-1.4350639)

I don't think the hunt has been allowed to happen again due to public pressure.

Livewire322
07-14-2022, 11:23 AM

Racist? As in a system and legislation which allows people of a certain race privileges that are denied to others not belonging to that race?

srupp
07-14-2022, 11:28 AM
hmmm next they will demand a traditional penguin polar bear hunt in the Stanley park zoo.
these are NOT traditional free ranging wild animals..they are habituized to close human contact in a national park.
hmm have them WALK there in bare feet..traditional footwear and transportation no OPTICS..no rifles..traditional home made bow and arrow...no flashlights..birchbark torches..knives no steel..hand made flint/obsidien...loin cloths no KUIU..no 4x4 no vehicles...
traditional.
any spoilage or wanton waste WILL be prosecuted.
i dont think it should happen professional beggars..
but the spineless cowards in govt if allowing traditional..use traditional.
no trophies either..not the biggest..only representational of adult animal..
TAXPAYERS built and funded the park..area..infrastructure..the animals their health..numbers..using modern tech but whining about traditional..our money..our park our rules
disgusting and dispicable
other than that no opinion..they nor govt listens to another taxpayer.
s

Walking Buffalo
07-14-2022, 12:35 PM
hmmm next they will demand a traditional penguin polar bear hunt in the Stanley park zoo.
these are NOT traditional free ranging wild animals..they are habituized to close human contact in a national park.
hmm have them WALK there in bare feet..traditional footwear and transportation no OPTICS..no rifles..traditional home made bow and arrow...no flashlights..birchbark torches..knives no steel..hand made flint/obsidien...loin cloths no KUIU..no 4x4 no vehicles...
traditional.
TAXPAYERS built and funded the park..area..infrastructure..the animals their health..numbers..using modern tech but whining about traditional..our money..our park our rules
s

You have my vote for grumpiest old man on HBC. ;)
For your own health, I hope you will relax off the madness.

Let them hunt in Jasper, without any limitations.
That will wake up the Woke more than anything you propose.

srupp
07-14-2022, 01:40 PM
lol...ya you and my wife agree grumpy old fart..
cheers
grumpy

HappyJack
07-14-2022, 03:09 PM
Racist? As in a system and legislation which allows people of a certain race privileges that are denied to others not belonging to that race?

Absolutely, or if you wish member of a Nation. Which means all those considered 'as status under the Indian Act' whether they are of mixed ancestry or not. Certainly you are aware that prior to 1982 any non native woman that married a status native was entered into the rolls as a 'status indian'? And if she had kids when the married those kids are also now registered....and not a drop of the blood most people believe is required.

So technically those privileges aren't only available to people of a certain race, but to members of certain Nations.

HappyJack
07-14-2022, 03:11 PM
traditional.
s

I'd support the polar bear hunt [do the bears a favour] and re-instatement of the grizzly bear and spirit bear hunts too!

Retiredguy
07-14-2022, 03:21 PM
lol...ya you and my wife agree grumpy old fart..
cheers
grumpy

We should start a special club. Only approved individuals that meet certain parameters/restrictions will be allowed. We can talk about this more later, I have go and take my hypertension medication. ;)

Livewire322
07-14-2022, 03:33 PM
Absolutely, or if you wish member of a Nation. Which means all those considered 'as status under the Indian Act' whether they are of mixed ancestry or not. Certainly you are aware that prior to 1982 any non native woman that married a status native was entered into the rolls as a 'status indian'? And if she had kids when the married those kids are also now registered....and not a drop of the blood most people believe is required.

So technically those privileges aren't only available to people of a certain race, but to members of certain Nations.

Race, creed, nation, call it what you want!

I don’t care about the nuances of how people got into the club, I care about why it has been allowed to continue on as long as it has and about ending it.
The entitlement that our court systems have emboldened is a way of thinking that needs to be eliminated from our collective society.
Nowhere else would we accept one set of rules for me and my kind, and another for them.

IronNoggin
07-14-2022, 03:46 PM
This actually happened about 5 years ago. The reason stated by the first nation at the time was to keep their traditional rights active for furure generations.

And they subsequently killed a handful of habituated, trophy sized park animals. All in the name of revisiting their "traditional rights". Utter BS.

HappyJack
07-14-2022, 03:57 PM
Race, creed, nation, call it what you want!

I don’t care about the nuances of how people got into the club, I care about why it has been allowed to continue on as long as it has and about ending it.
The entitlement that our court systems have emboldened is a way of thinking that needs to be eliminated from our collective society.
Nowhere else would we accept one set of rules for me and my kind, and another for them.

I hear what you're saying, it's allowed because it's entrenched in the supreme laws of this country and has been going back to the Royal Proclamation of 1763. As for one set of rules [laws or legislation] there are different rules for the us and them, it just depends on which us and them we want to study upon. Just look at what happened with the tax evasion discovered in the Panama papers, Canadian citizens were exposed and do you think they faced the same legal repercussions we would have if caught deliberately evading paying income taxes? Or how about 'income sprinkling', the little tax loophole that allows corporate earnings to be siphoned off, tax free, to family members. Or the trust fund kids [like Trudeau] that have been collecting $40K a year in dividends, tax free, while the rest of us stiffs pay income tax? Or look at Tamara, in jail for mischief and breaking her bail conditions while some shyt rats in our communities have broken bail conditions, and worse, and are still out on our streets?

So ya, in this country there are a lot of different sets of rules for us, and for them. I don't see any government on the horizon that has the stones to change any of them.

Livewire322
07-14-2022, 06:20 PM
I hear what you're saying, it's allowed because it's entrenched in the supreme laws of this country and has been going back to the Royal Proclamation of 1763. As for one set of rules [laws or legislation] there are different rules for the us and them, it just depends on which us and them we want to study upon. Just look at what happened with the tax evasion discovered in the Panama papers, Canadian citizens were exposed and do you think they faced the same legal repercussions we would have if caught deliberately evading paying income taxes? Or how about 'income sprinkling', the little tax loophole that allows corporate earnings to be siphoned off, tax free, to family members. Or the trust fund kids [like Trudeau] that have been collecting $40K a year in dividends, tax free, while the rest of us stiffs pay income tax? Or look at Tamara, in jail for mischief and breaking her bail conditions while some shyt rats in our communities have broken bail conditions, and worse, and are still out on our streets?

So ya, in this country there are a lot of different sets of rules for us, and for them. I don't see any government on the horizon that has the stones to change any of them.

I’ll lower my hackles. Agreed, there’s a lot of bullshit going on these days (and always) - doesn’t mean we have to accept it as the norm.