PDA

View Full Version : Water sources up on El Dorado?

Redemption
07-07-2022, 04:59 PM
Got drawn the El Dorado goat tag. Have hunted the area before and that is why I put in, just curious if anyone else has been up on 3-32f and found decent water? Hard to find?

Cheers, Nick

whitlers
07-07-2022, 07:37 PM
Been a few years since I have been in there but we went up early September that year it was super hot. 2016/17? Found a small spring up the top of Taylor basin just below Camel Pass. You might need to hike down every other day and grab water if your going to climb Eldorado.

Friend of mine has the same draw. Feel free to PM me.

MattW
07-07-2022, 08:36 PM
I've been up in that area a fair bit, though I can't give you anything specific about Eldorado. It's dry country up high but in September I've found the water is generally pretty easy to find, scarce as it is. All you need to do is follow the green streaks of vegetation (and they stand out in September) up to their highest point and take a look in that area. Sometimes it's an ugly little mudhole, but pretty often it's clean water seeping out of gravelly soil and you just dig a little hole to fill your bottles out of.

twoSevenO
07-07-2022, 09:46 PM
Been a few years since I have been in there but we went up early September that year it was super hot. 2016/17? Found a small spring up the top of Taylor basin just below Camel Pass. You might need to hike down every other day and grab water if your going to climb Eldorado.

Friend of mine has the same draw. Feel free to PM me.

How's the area with recreational use? Mountain bikers? Horse riders? Hikers?

markathome
07-08-2022, 03:15 PM
Nick: Highly likely you'll have north facing snow patches this year - the snowpack is holding on tight.

Twoseven0: Heavy use by all classes of recreational users and getting heavier every year. Tyax air was acquired by Blackcomb Heli this year so expect more pressure on a limited resource as more flights, and more people are lifted into the backcountry. Bralorne doubled in population during Covid.

whitlers
07-08-2022, 03:38 PM
How's the area with recreational use? Mountain bikers? Horse riders? Hikers?

As said above. Its a bit of a zoo in there at times. Lots and lots of mountain bikers but you can still get up off the marked trails and into some good country.

twoSevenO
07-08-2022, 03:55 PM
Nick: Highly likely you'll have north facing snow patches this year - the snowpack is holding on tight.

Twoseven0: Heavy use by all classes of recreational users and getting heavier every year. Tyax air was acquired by Blackcomb Heli this year so expect more pressure on a limited resource as more flights, and more people are lifted into the backcountry. Bralorne doubled in population during Covid.

That's nuts! Who is moving to a place like bralorne? Genuinely curious if it's hippies looking to "escape" covid or retired folks cashing in on lower mainland land real estate and going somewhere quiet. Any thoughts on where the folks up there came from and why?

srupp
07-08-2022, 03:55 PM
STILL great quality mule deer habitat...some amazing racks walking in there..more pressure now than 10 years ago.
water should not be a problem this year especially
congrads guys
Steven

markathome
07-08-2022, 04:18 PM
I'd say it's a bit of - get out of dodge (Squamish as an example) syndrome going on. As the lower mainland's front country ramps up and becomes even busier - the OG outdoor rec crowd is looking for some friggin peace and quite (Powell River, Williams Lake - hell even Hope is having a boom).

Mostly newly minted second home owners moving to Bralorne. Established professionals who can work basically anywhere - so they put in the time they need at the city office and then retreat to their shack in the Chilcotins and phone it in via StarLink. Gold mine up there is scaling up to (I think, don't quote me on that).

Stone C. Killer
07-08-2022, 05:02 PM
Lots of water come out of the sides of the mtns from nowhere in that country