PDA

View Full Version : Lund Tyee

eaglesj
07-07-2022, 08:28 AM
Hey everyone,

Just wondering what kind of water the Lund Tyee 1975 is designed for. I’m looking for a boat that can safely be out in lakes like Williston and go up Quesnel lake where there is no escape from the weather.

BRvalley
07-07-2022, 10:35 AM
it's meant to be a big water boat, more freeboard and deeper cockpit, some of the models are cross over for fishing/sport & family fun...they are more designed for trolling and jigging, don't have has big of a bow deck for casting...riveted hull, lund's I beam and double plated bottom hull

I've been in a few on the great lakes, they handle those rough conditions well, imo I'd feel completely safe in one on williston, but might still need to get off early if nasty weather is rolling in.....they still aren't in the same class as the 20'+ kingfishers with cabin enclosures, see a lot of those big beasts on williston

I have a 1997 lund pro angler 17 footer, I can see my next boat being one of the tyee's, very nice boats

eaglesj
07-07-2022, 01:54 PM
Thanks for the input BR.

srupp
07-07-2022, 02:53 PM
hmm Quesnel lk can turn nasty then deadly in an instant..wind rips down north arm..junction...brrrr
seen 1 boat 17 plus feet..on the sonar in 70 feet of water..
there are times when no boat is safe on Quesnel lk..not familliar with Willisten
nice sounding boat
cheers
steven

eaglesj
07-07-2022, 04:55 PM
hmm Quesnel lk can turn nasty then deadly in an instant..wind rips down north arm..junction...brrrr
seen 1 boat 17 plus feet..on the sonar in 70 feet of water..
there are times when no boat is safe on Quesnel lk..not familliar with Willisten
nice sounding boat
cheers
steven

Hmm, I have only been there once and I do know that people go up the North Arm but have been told there isn't anywhere to escape to if you are out there when a storm comes up. So I assumed there must be boats that are practical to own that can handle the weather there. I'd love to be able to go up to the top to fish. Heard it's the best up there where the creeks come in.

I would assume Williston isn't a whole lot different than Quesnel Lake. It has long narrow arms in the mountains that pick up storms quickly. Only difference might be that it doesn't have the constant cliffs the whole way like Quesnel lake does. Although I haven't been too far on it in my 12.5' inflatable... I stuck to the bays very close to where I am camping so that I don't have to go out in the big arms.

tigrr
07-08-2022, 09:32 AM
From Mitchell Bay to Plato island took 20 minutes one morning and 3 hours to get back in the afternoon on Quesnel lake. I have an enclosed 16' Starcraft aluminum boat with a 60hp Mercury outboard. The chop was 3' easily.
Williston lake isn't much different when the wind picks up.
If you buy the Lund have a vinyl closure installed on the open bow.
Small boats don't go far from the launch on those lakes.

srupp
07-08-2022, 01:21 PM
hmmm IMO east arm is more difficult to get off the lake..north arm blows up FAST...starts as a small pencil line on horizen..next moment all hell breaks loose...
couple great guys on this site have cabins on Quesnel lake and fish often..
I prefer the junction up the North arm..up to the roaring..salmon lay eggs in the lake..it IS the largest salmon hatchery in existence all around the lake..the creeks /rivers toss salmon eggs up and out into the lake and into waiting trout mouths...rainbows not too deep..lakers 70 feet..
APEX lures work well..they need slightly faster trolling speeds..
be well
stay safe
tight lines
Srupp