PDA

View Full Version : 2 way radio

brian
11-24-2007, 12:28 PM
I was thinking of picking up a 2 way radio (handheld) for some of these active logging roads. Any suggestions/recommendations on what to look for?

model88
11-24-2007, 04:22 PM
If you have the room, I personaly would by the unit that mounts directly into your truck rather than a handheld.

Mainly for its ability to transmit further, no batteries to worry about and if you shop around, they aren't alot more money than a handheld.

sealevel
11-24-2007, 04:34 PM
don`t buy anything rite now . two way radio`s are about to change in a year i hear we will all need new low power radio`s.

Trapper
11-24-2007, 09:23 PM
Check this guys out.
http://www.theantennafarm.com/catalog/

NaStY
11-25-2007, 12:13 AM
Go with as much power as you can get. Distance is what you need up the logging roads so you know where the logging trucks and machinery are. They are worth there weight in gold and can also save a life. I would get 1 for the truck and if you need it, get 2 portables. Personally i have garmin 530's for the bush...

Sako 300 win mag
11-25-2007, 06:50 PM
I use the Icom 2200 mounted in the truck great radio. Sure is nice when you can call your kms and not get run over!

ryanb
11-25-2007, 06:55 PM
I have a handheld one and it receives pretty good. Just don't expect to be able to make any calls until you're within a couple clicks of whoever you're calling. Remember the rigs are calling with 50+ watt truck mounts, so you will be able to hear them long before they can hear you. If it's only for road use, i would look at a truck mount unit.

MtnBoy
11-25-2007, 09:35 PM
SeaLevel, what do you mean by they are all about to change??:confused:

Big7
11-25-2007, 10:20 PM
I think he means that most frequencies are switching to low band which means if you don't have a low band frequency radio, you will only be able to receive a transmission, not transmit (or vise versa...someone will correct me I'm sure!)

I have an ICOM handheld that I use for work and pleasure...they work awesome! Obviously they are not as good as a truck mounted radio but you can't take one of those into the bush with you for safety or communicating with others while away from the truck. If you find that you aren't getting enough transmitting power, put an attenna on your truck, run the wire into your dash and then when you get back from the bush, simply unscrew the small antenna off your handheld and screw the cable from your high output antenna to your radio - this works pretty well - best of both worlds.

brian
11-26-2007, 08:51 AM
yeah one of the reasons I was going to go hand held was I'm usually borrowing my parents truck to get out there, so I want something I can bring with me from vehicle to vehicle. I was also thinking it would be a pretty good thing to have in the bush as well. Thanks for all the tips. I will probably hold off buying something for the moment and pick it up for next season.

About the low band frequency radio, any websites or places I could go to get more info on this?

Stresd
11-26-2007, 10:35 AM
Go Icom and dont worry about this low band Misinfo as it has no bearing on the application of a vhf marine radio for hunting. IC 2200H is an excellent choice, (65 watt):twisted: for the truck, though it does have a steep learning curve though, Whereas a 25watt VHF marine mobile is simplicity in itself to use . Some might say the trade off is worth it though. When travelling you could input the 10 major Long haul trucking channels (lad1 to 4, Huckleberry, Giscom , etc.) in and just Scan them all when heading upcountry. Example: for upto date road info between Surrey and Cache, LAD 4 gives you the Chip -Garbage trucks that run back and forth. Also allows you to input any of the logging frequencies to avoid the bigboys when on their turf. Can be tweaked to transmit in the marine vhf band to be able to communicate with the marine handhelds and mobiles that your hunting buddies use. Our H. group has tried various handhelds over the years and have all switched over to IComs because of their Transmit and receive clarity. HTH:wink:

308BAR
11-26-2007, 04:47 PM
We use the Yaesu VX-170 handheld and they are work great over long distances. Built tough and could take a beating we also purchase and awaiting shippment of yaesu FT2800m 65watts mobile unit for our trucks. With the canadian dollar the way it is there are good deals on VHF/UHF radios.

CanAm500
11-26-2007, 05:01 PM
Definitally go VHF!

We ran into trouble up north while moose hunting and if i had a VHF at the time we could have called for help, thank god it wasnt serious.

My set up is a ICOM handheld with a magna mount for bigger antena while out hunting/driving.

Check out www.vhf.ca (http://www.vhf.ca), that is where i bought my gear. Talk to Fred, hes the owner and his prices are beter then other place I looked at.

Alot of people are scared of VHF because of the licencing. Fred from FM told me its not mandatory to get the licenece but it allowed Industry Canada to determine the range for VHF. I think its $65 for a year. Anyway give Fred from FM Communications a e-mail, hes in Duncan on the island and is a great guy to do business with.

RiverOtter
11-26-2007, 09:30 PM
I run an ICOM VHF 100 channel handheld for handfalling and a TAD M8 in my pickup for FSR's and highway trucks. Both my units are face programable and have the B.C. phone repeater channels as well as all the BCFS repeaters(For emergency purposes only).

RO

brian
11-27-2007, 10:08 AM
the B.C. phone repeater channels as well as all the BCFS repeaters

Forgive my ignorance but what is a BC phone repeater channel?

RiverOtter
11-27-2007, 10:39 AM
They are repeaters towers controlled by Telus that you can raise by keying your mic for a couple seconds. You would normally need a call ID # to make a call, but in an emergency an operator would put you through to 911.

They are Duplex channels, meaning that they have a different Tx and Rx frequency. A radio shop would have them and they go by JP,JY,JL,YP etc. There are 11 or so that I'm aware of and have programmed into my radios. They can be hit and miss for reception, depending on your location, but they are handy to have. A radio shop would have them on file.

RO

gearjunkierob
11-27-2007, 06:23 PM
My suggestion - go user programmable. This way if you travel to a new area and decide you want to head up a road that is being actively logged you can program the frequency of the company in. They usually have the frequency(ies) listed on a sign at the entrance to the roads. It's nice to have a radio with you at all times when in the bush...I use it for weather info as well as program in the local Parks and SAR frequencies just in case.

gearjunkierob
11-27-2007, 06:26 PM
Oh - and I think what one of the previous posters was referring to is called "narrow-banding". My understanding of this is that there are a limited number of frequencies out there so in order to make more room on the radios, Industry Canada has mandated that all radios be narrow band capable as of a few years ago. This will double the amount of frequency space available in a given band. Just ask to make sure your new radio is narrow band capable before you purchase. Any "new" radio should be.

The debate between portable (handheld) vs mobile is a good one. The advantage of a handheld is that you can take it with you while hunting and attempt to call for help if you get into trouble. You can also remove it from your vehicle when you get home making it that much less tempting to break into. You can always mount a fixed or magnetic mount antenna onto your truck for the portable which will increase your range dramatically. I know that Kenwood makes some decent portables that are user programmable, weather proof, and around $400-600. I use Icoms at work and find they work fine as well, but mine lack the user programmable function. Good luck!

Rob

CanAm500
11-27-2007, 06:26 PM
My suggestion - go user programmable. This way if you travel to a new area and decide you want to head up a road that is being actively logged you can program the frequency of the company in. They usually have the frequency(ies) listed on a sign at the entrance to the roads. It's nice to have a radio with you at all times when in the bush...I use it for weather info as well as program in the local Parks and SAR frequencies just in case.

From what I was told user programmable radios are not allowed in Canada. Its regulated by IC.

RiverOtter
11-27-2007, 06:35 PM

Face programable radios are becoming pretty scarce, according to the tech I was talking to in Vernon a while back. Make sure to specifically ask before you purchase, as some newer radios can't be modified to face program. On the other hand, I see alot of new radios with 400 channel memory banks, trouble then becomes finding the right channel.:roll:

RO

gearjunkierob
11-27-2007, 06:36 PM
Response to CanAm500

I think you are wrong. Go to any communications store out there that sells Industrial radios and you can get one - worth researching though, 'cause I'd hate to steer anybody in the wrong direction. Almost all of the HAM frequency radios are user prrogrammable as well.

I was just looking at one the other day and nobody said "boo" to me about them being illegal.

CanAm500
11-27-2007, 08:25 PM
Guy from FM said that you cant get the user programable ones....that IC wanted techs to prgramme them.....????

Thats what i was told.

Stresd
11-27-2007, 08:36 PM
This programmable unit is available(mine is 3 years old now) in Canada and anyone can buy it. Just one of many that are available and modable. As soon as a person gets into what they call Hobby radios, The price drops big time and the options go up. Makes a lot of sense doesn't it.:roll:
http://www.icomcanada.com/products/amateur/2200H/2200H.htm
In my opinion you are far better off having a dedicated mobile. A hand held connected to an exterior antenna still only puts out 5 watts or 6 if you get the newer icom. Whereas a marine vhf fixed mount mobile ($140.00 for something half descent)) puts out 25 watts when connected to the same antenna.

sealevel
11-27-2007, 08:51 PM
SeaLevel, what do you mean by they are all about to change??:confused: This is just what a radio tec. was telling me.there upgrading the towers. once there done programable and wideband radio`s will be caput. If you are going to buy a radio make sure it is a narrow band one... and there is a lot of used radios for sale. don`t buy one

Stresd
11-27-2007, 09:17 PM
Yup. When they bring in narrow band every ones radios will no longer work.:roll:
Since 1998 all radios sold in Canada are narrowband capable.
http://www.bcforestsafe.org/content-program-trucksafe/trucksafe-07-06-01-roads_notice.pdf

And when they decide on the frequencies of these 35 channels they can just be input into a programable radio like we do now. Those that are running marine frequencies ? nothing changes.. As I stated before none of this effects Joe six pack hunter who wants to communicate with his Buds in the bush on his selected VHF marine channel.. Nor will it effect the availability for those of us who have Repeater capability.

CanAm500
11-27-2007, 09:18 PM
Is the programable face different for handhelds?

Cause thats what I have.....???

boxhitch
11-27-2007, 09:29 PM
. As I stated before none of this effects Joe six pack hunter who wants to communicate with his Buds in the bush on his selected VHF marine channel.. .
You stress 'marine VHF'. To what advantage over regular land-based logger-type units ?

boxhitch
11-27-2007, 09:31 PM
They are Duplex channels, meaning that they have a different Tx and Rx frequency. A radio shop would have them and they go by JP,JY,JL,YP etc. There are 11 or so that I'm aware of and have programmed into my radios. ROIIRC these are being slowly phased out, especially quick in areas with cell reception. The system is a thing of the past.

Stresd
11-27-2007, 09:33 PM
Is the programable face different for handhelds?

Cause thats what I have.....???

Sorry? Different than what? It all would depend on what freq"s your hand held is capable of. Once they narrow band these forestry channels it will make live so much easier for the guys with programables. Instead of coming on an active logging road and having to punch in the freq that the company logging the area got a deal on some weird radios type crap. all 35 freq's will already be setup as presets and no longer have to be input. Again, here's hoping the freq''s they deside on I got.:biggrin:

Stresd
11-27-2007, 09:35 PM
You stress 'marine VHF'. To what advantage over regular land-based logger-type units ?

None. It is just what is available cheaply for anyone off the street.

RiverOtter
11-28-2007, 08:46 AM
IIRC these are being slowly phased out, especially quick in areas with cell reception. The system is a thing of the past.

Yah, they've been getting phased out for the past 10 or so years, that I'm aware of. But I have still raised repeaters from the back end of Mica, between Chase and Falkland, Sicamous, Monashee pass, Whatshan lake; all in the past 2 years. My point is, until they absolutely do not work anymore and if your radio has room for them, why not have them loaded in.

RO

boxhitch
11-28-2007, 10:08 AM
My point is, until they absolutely do not work anymore and if your radio has room for them, why not have them loaded in.
ROGood point. I hadn't used them for a few years, and thought the southern ones were toast already. Good to hear they are active.

jimh
11-28-2007, 01:52 PM
308BAR You mention that you're getting FT2800s for your trucks could you let me know how they work out for you. I had a FT2500 that I had been using but when it needed some repairs I bought a FT2800 to use and planned on keeping the FT2500 for a spare. It turned out that using the same bracket, power cord, and antenna cable the FT2800 had a bit of a background noise from the engine ? and the radio turned off when the truck was shut off ? Needless to say as soon as the FT2500 came back from the shop it went back in the truck and the FT2800 went on the shelf. I will set it up in the house sometime in the future. I actually found a FT2500 in mint condition on Ebay that I bought just to have a spare for the truck. I would be interested in hearing how your FT2800s work out of curiousity. Thanks Jim