PDA

View Full Version : Commercial Deer Scent Question

Ltbullken
11-24-2007, 11:42 AM
I recently started using commercial scents for deer hunting. I was out the other day and put up deer estrus using felt dip sticks hanging from branches. As I was sitting in my blind thinking how cold it was, it struck me that the freezing temps might reduce the scent effectiveness. Does anyone know if the dip sticks are still effective in excreting scent in freezing temps? I usually collect the sticks at the end of the day but decided to leave them up and go check them in a couple days to see what sort of attention they attract. Snow is on the ground so tracks will show. Comments?

todbartell
11-24-2007, 01:00 PM
I dont think the scent will be as effective once it freezes on the scent wick. that being said, I wouldnt want you to rub a frozen estrous wick in my face! :mrgreen:

boonerbuck
11-24-2007, 01:05 PM
There are heated scent systems. Also there are incence types and cadles even.

cbearw
11-24-2007, 03:11 PM
I can't seem them being as effective when they are frozen up BUT a deers sense of smell is so good that I think they could still very easily smell it. More important is perhaps where you hang it in relation to the travel coridoors the deer are using (and your stand location) and the prevailing morning or afternoon breezes. I think you should give this a lot of carefull thought.
I should add that I have yet to use them but I do pay a lot of attention to wind direction and where I sit and wait (for whiteys) and what the wind is doing when I still hunt for mulies.
That should be cool to see what sort of activity shows up in the way of tracks in the snow.
On a related note. Many years ago I went tenting/camping with my pregnet wife once. (First and last time!) She went for a #1 not to far from the tent before hitting the sack. The next morning right where she went there were 7 deer pawing and digging up the ground right where she went. :roll:
So if you know of a pregnent woman that's handy and willing to share her urine it might be worth a try!!! Unfortunatly those years are over for us now. :eek: Oh yes........no joking and I am serious!

boxhitch
11-24-2007, 08:29 PM
On a related note. Many years ago I went tenting/camping with my pregnet wife once. (First and last time!) She went for a #1 not to far from the tent before hitting the sack. The next morning right where she went there were 7 deer pawing and digging up the ground right where she went. :roll:
So if you know of a pregnent woman that's handy and willing to share her urine it might be worth a try!!! Unfortunatly those years are over for us now. :eek: Oh yes........no joking and I am serious!LMAO Never heard of that ! Can only imagine the marketing and commercials that would come from that bottled product !!

huntwriter
11-24-2007, 09:12 PM
In freezing temperatures and in the rain scent wicks or any other scent application become useless. In such conditions it is better to fill the scent into a small misting bottle and every so often squirt two to three squeezes into the breeze. The fine mist will carry for a long way and thus often will bring deer to your stand that otherwise never would smell your deer lure.

hunter1947
11-25-2007, 07:09 AM
In freezing conditions ,i would get a bottle of doe in heat ,then every once in a while spray in the air.

cbearw
11-25-2007, 07:40 AM
LMAO Never heard of that ! Can only imagine the marketing and commercials that would come from that bottled product !!
Yes I agree! Perhaps it would best be a product one would have to try to get from a obliging women directly. Can see some obvious hazards there too. Could really get a bad reputation if you approached the wrong pregnet female!!! Not to mention a fat lip or two. Ouch!!:eek::lol:

BlacktailStalker
11-25-2007, 07:56 AM
Use the real deal. Tarsal glands or pinch off the piss sack of the first buck you shoot and put it into a spray bottle, even dilute it with water to get more out of it. If you know anyone who shoots a doe, grab that piss sack too.

Will
11-25-2007, 09:59 AM
... piss sack of the first buck you shoot and put it into a spray bottle,
Careful you don't step on it:roll:....... I can still smell it.:???: