PDA

View Full Version : Lesson Learned

model88
11-24-2007, 10:22 AM
I have had limited hunting time this fall, other than 3 weeks of guiding, so I was taking advantage of any chance I had. Pretty much every time I got out, I had my 2 kids with me. Actually though it would be really cool if I lucked out and found a buck with them, they are 4 and 5 by the way. Of course the wife told me I was asking for trouble.

Well, went for a ride yesterday, was just going to be a weiny roast/sight seeing lol. First road I take, first deer I see is a buck! Ask the kids if they want me to shoot it, no doubt there, so I get out, find a tree to shoot from and squeeze the trigger. Deer looks hit, but runs off. I follow looking for another shot but he melts into the timber.

So I suit up the kids, head into the logblock to look for blood. Make it about half way there and it starts.....I am cold, I am tired, how much longer......argh

Fortunantly my mother in law is only 15 minutes away. Take kids there, head back, 2 hours later I find him, never did find any blood, actually in the end I just went where my guts told me he was.

Sorry no pics yet. Was a nice little 4 point.

Sharkey
11-24-2007, 10:25 AM
Wow - good thing mum in law was close enough. Were the kids thrilled when you brought him home?

Hilgy
11-24-2007, 11:14 AM
I kind of struggle with the same thing. I have a crazy work schedule and an away quite a bit so when I do get a chance to get out my little guy is with me.

I have passed on a couple good bucks for the same reason you encountered.

Even still I bet they had a great time and will be asking to tag alone again. I'm always amazed at what an adventure we had when my little guy tells the story to my wife. Then I have to explain that all we did was walk down a range road at glass for a bit.

Hilgy

model88
11-24-2007, 11:19 AM
Oh yeah they were excited, I pulled into the driveway where my mother in law was watching all her grandkids and all the kids came out too see my "sons" buck lol. He had told anybody who would listen;-)

I was always worried about a bad shot or what ever and the deer getting away, so here I thought it was too easy, only 100yrds away, good rest, deer wasn't nervous, what could go wrong:eek:

He was dead on his feet, went about 200yrds, but too a 4 year old little girl 200yrds might as well be 200 miles.

rifleman
11-24-2007, 12:47 PM
way to go , congrats on your buck, keep taking your kids hunting, they will eventually love it.

BCJunior
11-24-2007, 03:05 PM
Congratz on the 4 point!

dunbartr
11-24-2007, 05:27 PM
Congrats on the Buck! I had one go 200+ yds this year with no blood as well. I looked for hours until that crazy windstorm started to scare me! Same thing, a nice steady shot at 75yds. I went back to hunt him 3 days later and the ravens led me right to him....
I had my wife with me (same as kids...:roll:) Should have gone home and got the dog!

hunter1947
11-25-2007, 07:29 AM
Good thing mother in law was close ,isn't that the way it goes sometimes ,it is hard enough trying to look for the deer but in the other hand it is even harder keeping an eye on two young ones when trying to find your deer ,pic latter ,good going.:cool:.

Bow Walker
11-25-2007, 10:31 AM
Thank your lucky stars for "mother-in-laws".........better yet, ones with whom you have a good relationship!

Will
11-25-2007, 10:43 AM
I have had limited hunting time this fall, other than 3 weeks of guiding, so I was taking advantage of any chance I had. Pretty much every time I got out, I had my 2 kids with me. Actually though it would be really cool if I lucked out and found a buck with them, they are 4 and 5 by the way. Of course the wife told me I was asking for trouble.
I feel your pain....I also have Two kids and a Wife that works...alot as of late:?
Sure changes one's Plans, lots to consider when taking little ones out in the Bush during winter.

Glad you Got your Buck and the Kids got to share that somewhat.
That's what it's all about:smile: