PDA

View Full Version : So you were successful in the leh draw NOW WHAT?

hunterdon
06-30-2022, 11:20 AM
Actually I was successful in drawing a bull moose leh allocation. As I will be taking a newbie along on his basically first big hunt, the thought of others successful in the draw came to mind.

So, for many out there, the question now is WHAT DO I DO NOW?

I will give my first tid bit of information on what I usually do in this case. Others here please suggest your strategy which may help others to be successful. After all, getting the draw is just the first step. To be TRULY successful its important to bring home the prize. Now you must work to improve your odds of real success towards that goal.

My first suggestion is this. Now that you were successful in the draw, it is very very important if at all possible to first take a trip out to your area of the hunt. This can be so critical especially if you have no experience in that area. So many questions as to access, such as conditions of roads, rivers, lakes, private land etc. can then be ascertained. Even if you knew the area years ago, things can change drastically. Logging plays a huge part in this. You will also familiarize yourself with the area such as camping spots, terrain, nearby towns, possible supply stores, butchers etc.

And last but not least, you now have an opportunity to scout the area for activity, such as sign of the game you are hunting. If there is no sign of the animal you are hunting in that area, you may decide to hunt a different drainage area/canyon/mountain/valley etc. This is especially beneficial to do BEFORE the hunt season starts so the animals will more likely stick to their routines. At the start of the actual hunting season, there could be a lot of hunters running all around the place causing the animals to break from their normal routines and hunker down for a few days. But because you checked the area out prior to this, you know that after a few days things will probably to go back to somewhat normal and you will be there. Patience is needed.

This is only one suggestion and there are many more, but I will let others here with experience give their take on this subject. Also do your scouting close to your hunting time frame. Not months before, as seasons change and wildlife patterns change also. In other words moose in July will rarely be in the same locale as moose in November. I haven't even brought up pattern changes due to the rut. Bottom line, closer to your hunting time frame but before your hunt, so you don't waste valuable time trying to figure out all the above and come home empty. I prefer 1 to 2 weeks at most before my hunt.

So, with that, good luck, stay safe and straight shooting!!!

What do you suggest?

Sharpish
06-30-2022, 01:10 PM
So to summarize your essay “go on scouting trips” haha

hunterdon
06-30-2022, 01:54 PM
Yes, but at the right time and looking for the right things. Just the one suggestion. There's a lot more to be done BEFORE the hunt to increase odds of a successful hunt. Hoping others will chime in. We'll see.

wideopenthrottle
06-30-2022, 02:04 PM
i am too busy printing off copies of back roads mapbooks for each in our group.. highlighting our areas ... and roads ...and walking routes...taping the individual maps together.... as well as looking for potential primo spots for if we have heavy snow or for other areas if snow is light or no snow....i am doing all this so i dont have time to chime in at the moment...heheheheh

boilerroom
06-30-2022, 04:15 PM
Hi Don, thanks for starting this valuable thread.

high horse Hal
06-30-2022, 08:45 PM
Sounds like hunting 101
learn your area, access, camping, fresh water, habitat, holding grounds, seasonal changes, traffic,
oh and the most important in the last decade........cell coverage

Nothing like having a fresh virginal LEH to build the drive to explore
congrats to winners

hunterdon
06-30-2022, 09:28 PM
Hi Don, thanks for starting this valuable thread.

Great to hear. And thanks to the others for their input. I'll post some more tomorrow which I think may help some, and I think its a good idea to start prepping now for later success. Of course most of this may be a given for the more experienced hunters, but my main goal is to help out those less experienced to reach their potential as far as hunting is concerned.

So stay tuned, and send us your secrets for success folks.

Retiredguy
07-01-2022, 06:37 AM
My wife was successful on a moose draw and as usual, I drew nothing. So now we go and do our best so that she can cut her tag. She has shot lots of moose in the past, know her rifle and can shoot it. She is also good at calling, but I will do the calling this time. Looking forward to nice days in the field with her and NO ONE ELSE for a change. After 45 years of guiding...sorry but we value our time together by ourselves for a change. Grand kids are grown up and out doing their own thing. Nephew is out doing his own thing and we did our bit taking him out and we got him onto his first bear.

No...I do not feel guilty because I am not focused on teaching other any longer. From now until we croak it will be quality time to ourselves. Not saying we will not help someone out that we meet out in the "wilderness", as we will, but we will not go looking for it.

I know, I know...bad attitude. :)

hawk-i
07-01-2022, 07:38 AM
My wife was successful on a moose draw and as usual, I drew nothing. So now we go and do our best so that she can cut her tag. She has shot lots of moose in the past, know her rifle and can shoot it. She is also good at calling, but I will do the calling this time. Looking forward to nice days in the field with her and NO ONE ELSE for a change. After 45 years of guiding...sorry but we value our time together by ourselves for a change. Grand kids are grown up and out doing their own thing. Nephew is out doing his own thing and we did our bit taking him out and we got him onto his first bear.

No...I do not feel guilty because I am not focused on teaching other any longer. From now until we croak it will be quality time to ourselves. Not saying we will not help someone out that we meet out in the "wilderness", as we will, but we will not go looking for it.

Enjoy your time as it best suits you...after all, it is your time :)

HarryToolips
07-01-2022, 07:40 AM

Not a bad attitude at all, you deserve your time to yourself & wife..

HarryToolips
07-01-2022, 07:48 AM
Drew my first LEH moose tag...for me, scouting will be about identifying what is key habitat for the time of year I'll be hunting, as in what elevation, food, water cover etc sources will they be using at the time of my draw...

Jrax
07-01-2022, 09:14 AM
finding your plan B and even C if there are any hiccups in your original plan. Washouts, fires, other hunters in the camp u wanted, active logging. I have wasted alot of time searching for a good camp location for hours and hours to no avail and finally settled on a spot that was not great. We quaded into an area that had hunters and lots of taken camp spots, more than we could imagine, so lots of back and forth. After setting up camp at night in the rain, next day we went a bit further down the trail and behold! a beautiful flat camp with a creek and no one there..... ouch! Wish we knew that camp was there

hunterdon
07-01-2022, 07:22 PM
Hey Retiredguy. Good to hear from you. I can't imagine all those years guiding. You've got more patience that I have. Not a bad attitude at all. Hope you have a nice and quiet time on your hunt with your wife ALONE.

Retiredguy
07-02-2022, 08:05 AM
Hey Retiredguy. Good to hear from you. I can't imagine all those years guiding. You've got more patience that I have. Not a bad attitude at all. Hope you have a nice and quiet time on your hunt with your wife ALONE.

Thanks hunterdon...I come on here occasionally but generally just lurk and read. Hope you have a good fall. :)

Waynewjw
07-02-2022, 06:09 PM
I was successful in a LEH Moose draw. My friend who owns the cabin is on his way up next week to do some preliminary scouting to see what’s up. The area got pretty burned up in 2018 but has come along way with lots of tall grasses, so lot’s of feed and of course the swamps weren’t touched. This will be the 1st scouting trip. We always have a few choice spots that are successful, hope that holds true after the fires.

hunterdon
07-02-2022, 06:42 PM
I was successful in a LEH Moose draw. My friend who owns the cabin is on his way up next week to do some preliminary scouting to see what’s up. The area got pretty burned up in 2018 but has come along way with lots of tall grasses, so lot’s of feed and of course the swamps weren’t touched. This will be the 1st scouting trip. We always have a few choice spots that are successful, hope that holds true after the fires.

Good plan. Doing a follow up scouting mission later is also a smart plan. Looking forward to hearing how you make out on your leh hunt Let us know and good luck!

browningboy
07-03-2022, 08:27 AM
Make sure you get a map that shows all the logging roads, have good tires and lots of gas…drive them until you see them and shoot one! Road hunting is the ticket in most cases, unless you want to pack game out miles and miles from hiking? I hike a lot but when I see mature bulls, I’m like nah.. way too much work and risk.

Waynewjw
07-03-2022, 09:20 AM
Will likely continue to scout out the area right up til the season kicks in. Here today, gone tomorrow doesn’t usually end in a positive result.

hunterdon
07-03-2022, 02:18 PM
Suggestion #2

You probably spent a considerable amount of time looking over the leh synopsis in order to decide what to apply for. You looked at things like tentative numbers of selections, species/sex/antler/point configurations, wildlife management units/mini units, past first choice odds, time frames and so on. You also consulted with other members of your hunting group. (hopefully) You then made your selection, waited, hoped and prayed, (some of us did) and finally......YAHOO!!!, you got picked!

Now what I strongly suggest, is that you study the regulations (both leh and regular) for your selected hunting area. I mean go over it with a fine tooth comb. Look for things like vehicle restrictions, types of weapon restrictions (some areas) No hunting/shooting zones (example near highways) national parks (absolutely no hunting) provincial parks (may or may not have restrictions) leh boundaries (for your particular hunt zone), private land, wildlife sanctuaries, and the list goes on and on.

hunterdon
07-03-2022, 02:19 PM
Now you'd be surprised at how many hunters actually gloss over this very important step. For example, last year while on a moose hunt, there was a group of 4 hunters that shot a moose illegally. Even though they self reported, as it was a "mistake", the authorities were not impressed. Of course the animal was seized and charges/suspensions/fines were pending. Don't know the final outcome, but that is not the way you want your hunt to end.

Several years back, while on a moose hunt again, I was visited midday at my camp, by 2 conservation officers. Nice fellows they were. At one point during our friendly chat, they asked me about a regulation which they found to be confusing. It had to do with a nearby no hunting zone. It read something like no hunting between a certain watershed over to another certain watershed from this land of elevation above sea level up to land of this other certain elevation above sea level. I'm paraphrasing of course. Confusing I know. But because I studied the regulations carefully BEFORE my hunt, I knew exactly how to interpret this regulation. I gave them my rendition which they agreed and accepted.

Bottom line, MAKE SURE you know the do's and don'ts of your hunt zone/area. You may also want to purchase other game tags should the opportunity present itself. It would not be a good thing if while on your moose hunt, a big 6 point bull elk walks out right in front of you and you don't have a tag, or you're not sure if the season for elk is still open or closed in that area.

So I'll leave off with that and I'll be back with some other suggestions which may be helpful. Until then my friends.

tigrr
07-03-2022, 05:01 PM
LEH success where?

Codes44
07-04-2022, 12:01 PM
Scout, scout, scout. You never know when you will draw one again so put in the time this summer and cover some ground. Trail cameras, rubs, sign pick an area where you see the most action and stick to it.

As far as your point about moose moving and shifting you are correct, however I have found that where the moose are in August is basically close to where they are in early October. Them shifting holds more true in the winter time for their wintering ground than early rut (in my experience). So it comes down to if you have October draw vs. November.

I'd do as you said, scout hard a few weeks before your hunt but don't discount finding sign and animals late summer it's a decent indicator.

Codes44
07-04-2022, 12:02 PM
finding your plan B and even C if there are any hiccups in your original plan. Washouts, fires, other hunters in the camp u wanted, active logging. I have wasted alot of time searching for a good camp location for hours and hours to no avail and finally settled on a spot that was not great. We quaded into an area that had hunters and lots of taken camp spots, more than we could imagine, so lots of back and forth. After setting up camp at night in the rain, next day we went a bit further down the trail and behold! a beautiful flat camp with a creek and no one there..... ouch! Wish we knew that camp was there

Exactly, have backup areas if yours is taken or inaccessible as well. Happened to many times where you get up there and there's hunters and think to yourself now what.

hunterdon
07-04-2022, 12:18 PM
Scout, scout, scout. You never know when you will draw one again so put in the time this summer and cover some ground. Trail cameras, rubs, sign pick an area where you see the most action and stick to it.

As far as your point about moose moving and shifting you are correct, however I have found that where the moose are in August is basically close to where they are in early October. Them shifting holds more true in the winter time for their wintering ground than early rut (in my experience). So it comes down to if you have October draw vs. November.

I'd do as you said, scout hard a few weeks before your hunt but don't discount finding sign and animals late summer it's a decent indicator.

Agreed....Good you mentioned trail cameras. This can be a great tool when used/set up correctly.