PDA

View Full Version : 1st Mule Deer down for the count

TSW
11-24-2007, 02:37 AM
Here’s the story of my first deer. My friend, “the Rabbi” and I were going to hunt a field for an evening hunt but when we arrived some other hunters (whom we knew) were already there. One of them was stalking a buck (500yards away) in a valley and the other 2 were tagged out so we decided to chat with them and watch the action unfold. We watched the hunter as he crossed a small clear cut area into a strip of timber on his way towards his prey. About a minute later, we spotted another (substantially bigger) buck as it busted out of the strip of timber. We all ogled him as he and his large rack bounded effortlessly away from us into more thick timber further up the valley. As I wiped the drool away from my mouth, the guys told me and the Rabbi that we should try to circle around and find him. It seemed like a bit of a long shot to say the least, but we had nothing else planned at that point, so we decided to go for it. We circled around and tried to orient ourselves by poking our heads into the timber along the valley. We determined we had gone too far, and needed to go back a bit. We poked into the timber again, and realized we needed to go back a lot more! We were walking along the edge of the timber as quickly and as quietly as possible to get to where we figured he may have gone when it happened. The Rabbi stopped dead in his tracks and said “buck” (at least I’m pretty sure that’s what he said). There was the buck we were after about 80yards away staring at us from the timber. I immediately dropped down to my knee and lined up on him. We were both quickly and carefully trying to count points as our view of his antlers was partially obstructed by some trees, but then after a few seconds a positive I.D. was made. The Rabbi said “take him” and it seemed like a pretty good idea to me. The buck was facing us almost head-on, so I lined up on his chest and squeezed the trigger. The Barnes 180g tsx turned out to be a real show stopper. The shot took out his heart, one of his lungs, then broke a shoulder, and then deflected and broke a good number of ribs before exiting. Needless to say, he didn’t go far. He took a few steps and then he went down for good. I was very pumped about this buck since it was my first deer and I was out to kill the first legal buck that presented itself and I ended up getting a pretty decent 3X6. It seemed like this one was meant to be!! I was very thankful to the Rabbi, who isn’t an actual Rabbi, for allowing me to have first dibs on this buck. http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/Resize_1.jpghttp://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/Resize_2.jpg
http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/Resize_31.jpghttp://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/Resize_4.jpg

BearSniper
11-24-2007, 03:23 AM
Wow:razz:

What a nice buck. Congratulations:razz: What a great evening of hunting.

Shalom to your "Rabbi".

hunter1947
11-24-2007, 04:15 AM
TSW ,that is one of them old mossy bucks ,that deer you got is a real honker of a deer and for your first one WOW. Buy looking at him ,he looks like he would go 250+ in weight. I hope you are going to get a head mount ,you would be crazy not to ,very ,very nice buck ,congratulations.http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/images/icons/icon14.gif

RMG
11-24-2007, 04:47 AM
Wow, one extremely magnificant buck there. Many have hunted years to harvest such, and others never will. Way to go.

Thunderstix
11-24-2007, 07:17 AM
Whoa, nice buck!

RoadKing
11-24-2007, 08:39 AM
Nice one Todd. Maybe next year you can find your own spots, and stop horning in on mine... 8-)

bruin
11-24-2007, 09:04 AM
Thats a great buck, congrats

dana
11-24-2007, 10:55 AM
Wow, yet another great mature buck posted up. That's awesome. That's a sweet looking buck. Congrats to ya!:cool:

Calamity Jane
11-24-2007, 11:53 AM
Congrats! Sounds like it was meant to be... You just ended up in the right place at the right time

rifleman
11-24-2007, 12:32 PM
nice buck, thats more than pretty decent, thats huge decent. way to go

BCJunior
11-24-2007, 03:06 PM
Beauty buck, nice and wide congratz!

cbearw
11-24-2007, 03:19 PM
Wow!! Thats just an awesome buck.:eek: You guys really look happy. Much congrats on just a beauty of a muley.

BCbillies
11-24-2007, 05:12 PM
That's a beauty and worthy of a spot on the wall! Seeing all these mulies posted makes a guy want take up deer hunting. Your hunting partner almost looks like the guy who claimed 3rd place (53 4/8 Mountain Goat) at the recent B&C Awards Banquet - only a cleaned up, younger version of the "Rabbi" :smile:

Great hunt and best wishes on your next pursuit!

Sako_Halfcok
11-24-2007, 05:17 PM
sweet deer :)

Sitkaspruce
11-24-2007, 08:49 PM
Very nice buck

Congrats on your first.

Will
11-24-2007, 09:19 PM
Well Done & Congrats !
Great buck ! :-P

fourbyfour
11-24-2007, 09:31 PM
nice buck. BC or AL buck?

TSW
11-24-2007, 11:17 PM
That's a beauty and worthy of a spot on the wall! Seeing all these mulies posted makes a guy want take up deer hunting. Your hunting partner almost looks like the guy who claimed 3rd place (53 4/8 Mountain Goat) at the recent B&C Awards Banquet - only a cleaned up, younger version of the "Rabbi" :smile:

Great hunt and best wishes on your next pursuit!
haha, good call BCbillies, the "Rabbi" was definitely looking a whole lot less Rabbi-like when he was at the B&C Awards banquet with his goat. As for the deer, he's getting a spot on my wall for sure. I'm looking forward to that one!

nice buck. BC or AL buck?
BC Buck! Region 7 strikes again!

porcupine
11-24-2007, 11:48 PM
Beauty! Congratulations!
________
KLX450R (http://www.cyclechaos.com/wiki/Kawasaki_KLX450R)

pitbell
11-27-2007, 11:31 AM
I was under the impression that all the Region 7 muley bucks were extinct.(that was a joke so don't go postal everyone) Congrats on a great buck. Serves those hunters right for not holding out for a cranker. I think "the Rabbi" should post a pic of his Whitey taken this weekend.