PDA

View Full Version : buying a used quad...

Andrewh
06-28-2022, 09:39 PM
Well I am really considering taking the plunge and putting a quad in the garage. I am not a rec trail rider by any stretch and the primary use would be for hunting. I ended up with a moose draw so I figure now is as good of time as any.

What are you guys looking out for when buying a used quad maybe a few years old? I am primary looking at a Honda or a Polaris in their respective 500cc range.

What is considered 'high mileage' on one of these machines?

RyoTHC
06-28-2022, 09:52 PM
I can’t help with a lot of your questions but for my 2020 moose draw I bought a 2020 Polaris sportsman 570 premium and I absolutely love it, not a single regret.. over 4500km on it but I use it for recreational riding and mushroom picking in addition to hunting and ice fishing with it.

For a “low” cc quad it tops out at 113km/hour and it hasn’t let me down yet.

Downwindtracker2
06-28-2022, 09:55 PM
Don't limit yourself to just those two brands. Yamaha, Can-Am , Kawasaki, and Suzuki all have make good quads.

canishunter22-250
06-29-2022, 06:01 AM
I tried out Suzuki last time I was quad shopping simply because I found a decent deal. Next time around I'll be shopping for the same brand. King Quads are excellent. Yamaha and Honda are too though.

604ksmith
06-29-2022, 06:12 AM
I bought a 2020 Honda Rubicon with electric power steering and foot shift two years ago and couldn't be happier.

When looking used, I was considering anything over 5,000km high mileage. But more than that, I was looking at the condition of the quad and the seller. As much as people say don't judge a book by it's cover, I did, and at the time that lead me to buying new. I felt I could just tell some owners abused their quads and then were selling them after a quick wash, and it had nothing to do with mileage.

My two tips:
1) Buy from an owner that seems have kept good condition of his quad, his truck, etc...
2) Calculate the average speed. Mileage/hrs. If it's much over 30-40km/h it has been used for recreation or long FSR commutes.
If it's really low, a farmer was towing a lot and likely using it on cold engines.

Honda and Yamaha are still the most reliable, and in that order.
It will take several more years (or a decade) to really argue any other brand can join that club.

tigrr
06-29-2022, 06:17 AM
Buy once cry once, Honda or Yamaha.

.330 Dakota
06-29-2022, 06:32 AM
So, I had done a ton of research before I bought 4 brand new ones in 2008. After talking with parts managers at several dealers of diferent brands, and a friend that owns a forestry company that has a fleet of 45 quads,,I completely eliminated Polaris from my choices. Can Amm is great but epensive,,,Honda was great but a bit behind the times,
Bought Yamaha's and ave never regretted it. The 450 Kodiak is one of if not te most reliable machine on the market.
I run a 700 Grizzly, and to be quite honest, it wont do much that the 450 wont. If I was to buy another one, it would be a 450 Kodiak.

ACE
06-29-2022, 07:15 AM
Honda has gears.
Others are belt drives.
As smith says: Calculate the average speed.
Pushing a snowplow . . not good.
One of my Honda 450's has 11,800 km . . . never skipped a beat.

warnniklz
06-29-2022, 07:54 AM
Go in to your local dealers and just some questions to their parts and service department, then buy based on who you feel comfortable with.

Would suck to buy something and then have to drive 2.5 hours just to get something done that can only be done at a dealership in the next town.

And yeah, stay away from plow machines, farm machines and snorkled machines...

bullish
06-29-2022, 08:27 AM
I love my Suzuki's. I still have my original 1997 300 King quad and at 14k it still is running strong. I have another newer and with super low and all wheel lockers it has pulled out some heavy bulls. Over power is unnecessary and fuel consumption really has to be considered.

HappyJack
06-29-2022, 08:35 AM
I've owned 2 Polaris machines a 2001 500HO and a 2012 550 EPS, I have had minimal problems with them and use them almost exclusively for hunting. I find they are priced lower than the ones most guys promote. That being said the Yamaha Grizzly is a nice machine too.

If you are looking at used, get one with low mileage, power steering, decent tires [upgraded from stock makes a big difference], a winch on the front [front and back is a plus] and generally look it over good for evidence of hard riding [cracked frames, big dents, broken plastic].

Downwindtracker2
06-29-2022, 09:10 AM
Honda has a hydraulics instead of a continuous variable belt drive. They all have gears. If you smoke a belt, you can change it in camp. Ski-Do (the same company that makes Can-Am) has been running belts since the '50s. It not unproven. Just don't be afraid of that technology. If you get a used machine with a belt, you should change it anyway.

Power steering is very worth while, but you'll not likely find a used machine with it. Metal racks are good. A good winch is a necessity . It not for pulling yourself out of a mud hole so much as climbing hills. It's not a big deal going down steep hills,but going back up, a back flip can kill you. So you winch out.

We all hit on Poohs but I was talking with a fellow hunter and he was riding one. He had bought it used, it was cherry. It was a model before Polaris cheapened that model. He explained it all to me. He seemed to know what he was talking about.

ACE
06-29-2022, 09:31 AM
​No belts on a Honda. Foot shift is gears.

Husky7mm
06-29-2022, 09:32 AM
I use ATVs for my living in oil field surveying in northern alberta, we use and abuse atvs to the highest extent. Some great advice here already given. I run yamaha grizzly’s myself cause I want the power and payload. We pull over weighted trailers in and out of our hunting spots every year. If I am alone and without a trailer, which is often I can get a bull elk out with all my hunting gear in one oversized load. That why I use the big atvs.
I have run a few grizzlys to near 20000k and when sold they ran fine still, no major repairs. I still have my first kodiak I ever bought in 2001 and its still going strong. It plowed snow, skidded moose and pulled dead vehicles. There is no issues with yamaha belts. The worst thing that can happen is the belt cooling duct can pop out of the transmission and water gets in and you have to drain it or it will slip a bit. This is very rare and wont strand you. Never had that on any of the bigger grizzlies.

If you’re in mud all the time atvs are hard on brake pads especially on the rear, atvs with the rear wet brake wont have this issue. Oil and filter change once a year along with the air filter is all you need to keep the motor strong and never let any seal or hose that holds oil or coolant go ignored or you will have premature engine damage.

I have bought used and new but obviously prefer new as I use them so much. For what you get out of them and the they still bring real cash money when your done with them I think atvs provide good value.

Most the folks in surveying run hondas or yamaha but a few run can ams and polaris. The later 2 can have belt issues if you don’t run them in low range for all but FSR or O&G road cruising. The can am seems to have more over heating issues, For how much money they are I wouldnt own one but they do ride and perform very nice.

You will have less issues over all with the simplest of all designs which is the honda but they are a bit of a slug and a lumber wagon and a bit tippy in the deactivated ditches or creeks and the rear solid axle does not Oscillate, thus moving the entire machine to a more unstable position in extreme terrain. Also less traction if all tires do not travel with the lay or the land.

Atvs are a game changer of big game retrieval, I would not be without. Mine haul at least 3 or more big animals a year and haul me into the middle of nowhere on my days off to keep tabs on all my hunting areas.

Note, unless its windy the animals hear you miles away so lost of boots on the ground is still required to be successful even when you have a nice atv to help.

5000 k is nothing if its been looked after. Look close and listen to it run, take it for a rip. Inspect the frame, they can crack and old ones that never get cleaned can rust out. Thats a deal breaker. You can get a crack welded but best to avoid if possible.

I have heard a few good things about Suzuki but have no personal experience.

Muledeercrazy2
06-29-2022, 10:24 AM
I was in the market for a new quad back in 2013 and wanted a Yamaha, but after comparing prices bought a new polaris sportsman 500 for 3k less than a Yamaha. I only used it for hunting and some scouting and had no issues and sold it for 5k 4 years later to buy a new machine. Id definitely buy a new polaris before i bought a used machine that I couldn’t be sure of how it was treated/abused

Edzzed
06-29-2022, 10:50 AM
I don't own a quad but when we were insuring our boat, The guy next to us was insuring his quad. I just about dropped a turd when I over heard the quote.

Huk
06-29-2022, 04:27 PM
I have 2 Polaris Sportsman’s.
2007 500 HO, had to put on a new winch due to a broken gear, new tires (both this year) and fuel gauge doesn’t work anymore. This one is used to plow.
2020 Touring 850 Premium, have had no issues at all.
Both have regular service done and that’s it.

notyalc
06-29-2022, 05:28 PM
My 2017 Grizzly 700 has 5500kms on it now and never had a single issue. I’ll never buy anything but a Yamaha.

srupp
06-29-2022, 07:33 PM
hmm ford or ram...
3 ATVS..sold 2 of them and both are still running both buyers were and still thrilled with the purchase..i have my ATV serviced at Honda every year.all have Honda service records.and the dealer has always made himself available regarding the units I was selling.Honda is simple..simply bulletproof..I have towed every make out of mud no one has had to tow me/Honda out in 25 years 500cc is perfectly adequete..independent rear axle makes it smoother more stable..automatic is nice as is ability to manually shift..Hondas weakness is headlights are yellow/dim so I added a RIGID LED bar..put in professionally by fabricator/electricaL ENGINEER..
Warn makes a high end winch
check handle grips high use units have worn grips.units that are babied..show that care..having that service record is important IMO
CHECK AXLE BOOTS..air box..dirt mud in there ? or pristine...shit riding for 40 hours does more harm than 200 kms on trail
i wont need another unit however it WOULD be a HONDA 500 Rubicon
pretty easy to see a shit abused ATV you can wash dirt off but not abuse..
cheers
srupp

Andrewh
06-29-2022, 09:52 PM
WOW,

some great info here guys and thank you so much for taking the time to share. No matter where I turn, it seems like for dependability you can't top either a yami or a honda (which sort of goes without saying). I am sure the NA brands are great too but the stories of guys with 15-20yr old yamahas really makes me steer in that direction.

Next question:
How do you go about choosing between lets say a 450 vs a 700? The Kodiak's have the same towing capacity... anyone have experience with both?

I am not going to be using it to rip around trails and popping wheelies but I do want the option to tow in a trailer with a moose camp... is the 450 up for it?

srupp
06-29-2022, 10:18 PM
hmm I have repeatadly towed out an entire moose in a steel tubbed trailer with 500 cc Honda..you wont tell the difference between a 450 YAMAHA or 500 HONDA...

Wait..there IS a difference..the Honda WILL START..sorry..my bad

Fred..lol

landphil
06-29-2022, 10:47 PM
I’ve owned a solid rear axle Honda, and while it was a great machine overall and ran like new at 13,000 km, I’ll only ever buy an independent rear suspension quad now. It’s a huge difference on the twisty stuff, what made the SRA feel tippy is a 2wd walk in the park now. EPS is nice, more in that it takes the abuse from bumps, instead of your shoulders.

I have no issue pulling a heavy tub trailer with my current Honda 420.

Timberjack
07-03-2022, 06:33 PM
WOW,

some great info here guys and thank you so much for taking the time to share. No matter where I turn, it seems like for dependability you can't top either a yami or a honda (which sort of goes without saying). I am sure the NA brands are great too but the stories of guys with 15-20yr old yamahas really makes me steer in that direction.

Next question:
How do you go about choosing between lets say a 450 vs a 700? The Kodiak's have the same towing capacity... anyone have experience with both?

I am not going to be using it to rip around trails and popping wheelies but I do want the option to tow in a trailer with a moose camp... is the 450 up for it?

Andrew. Everyone is going to have their opinions for sure on size. Here are my thoughts:

I’m a Yamaha guy but Honda and Suzuki would be my next choices. Can am and Polaris often are bigger, heavier, fancier etc but seem to need more maintenance. The only one I would avoid is Kawasaki but I’m sure there are exceptions to that.

Here are my must haves for a quad:
- 450 /500 is big enough
- low range
- belt driven would be my preference
- eps
- independent rear suspension. Solid rear axles have their place but certainly don’t ride as well.
- winch
- good tires ( I happen to like the itp mudlites)
- hydraulic brakes (some older ones have mechanical brakes ie cable only which show their weakness at times.

As far as condition watch for broken plastic, scratches and all the other signs the others have mentioned. It should be readily apparent if a machine has been beaten on. My next quad will be the kodiak 450. Have fun!

TJ

mikeman20
07-03-2022, 08:31 PM
I had a kodiak 450 about 10 years ago, loved it. It had plenty of power back then to pull a trailer, and i assume they have only gained hp over the years if they are still 450cc.

The nice thing about smaller quads is you can move em around alot easier. When riding, and even lifting an end at a time

tigrr
07-04-2022, 07:08 AM
I had a 800 and it used 20 liters of gas when the 450cc and 500cc used 10 liters for the same ride. It is gone and I bought a 500cc Honda Canadian edition with power steering.

twoSevenO
07-04-2022, 07:21 AM
I also have a 500cc Honda. Bought used with low mileage and 450hrs .... it's been with me 3 years and it's been great.

That said, hauling two 200+ lb guys up a steep road plus a couple of packs does feel like a bit of abuse on it. So I do wish it had maybe a bit more power but other than that it's been fantastic. Mine is older, a 2007, so perhaps that isn't an issue with the newer ones that have more power.

My favorite feature: a pull cord. Would not want one out in the bush without a pull cord. Bad battery and or starter can make for a very long walk out.

steelheadSABO
07-04-2022, 07:45 AM
Suzuki is the way to go for utility atv’s have an 86 lt230 that will pull anything and had 2007 king quad 450 no issues with either after hard abuse. Just not the fastest most powerful atv’s out there. Honda and Yamaha I would say is in the same boat.

Downwindtracker2
07-04-2022, 11:16 AM
I have an 08 Can-Am but in a used quad, condition trumps make. Even if you pay a little more for cherry, I would say it's worth it.

srupp
07-04-2022, 11:31 AM
good point on starter pull cord used it in field when my battery calved..was nice insurance..
good point.
srupp

wlbc
07-04-2022, 12:59 PM
I bought a used Honda Foreman about 14 years ago for $800 with 8000kms on it. It had been in a fleet in northern Alberta with a major forest company. The first winter I had to tear it down to the frame because there was dried compacted mud everywhere. It ran and ran, and ran, and ran. Then I came across a IIRC an 800 Polaris with very low kms. So I kept the Honda but parked it. I sold the Polaris after about 3 years.

Here is the deal. For me, I like to putt into a place and then hit the footmobile. After I wack something I cut it up and stack the quarters, rack, etc, on the wonderful steel racks the Honda has. Then I putt back to camp. The Honda is far slower than the Polaris but it will out climb, up or down, the Polaris, and after a full day it was more taxing to drive the Honda.

What I did not like about the Polaris was it used about double the fuel, in tight and extreme situations it seemed less stable, it was too heavy to just pick the back or front up to reposition and the battery would go dead until I installed a night switch off the battery. What I liked about it was if I was touring with friends it was WONDERFULL for distance, rode far better than the Honda, much faster, and after a full day it didn't wear you down.

In summary, from my experience and what I have seen and heard:

1. It's kind of like a Ford, Dodge, Chev thing, they all have pros and cons but apart from those Chinese ones they are all not bad . I think how you maintain and operate it has more to do with the durability and reliability. I know people that have had excellent service out of: Honda's, Yamaha's, Polaris, Can Am, Arctic Cat, and Suzuki.

2. The machine for putting into and out of a great hunting spot is smaller and configured differently than the one you drive at 100km/hr down a logging road. Touring the back country think 800 cc Polaris. Crawling in to tight spot to kill something think 450 Foreman.

3. I like having a pull cord, not that I have ever needed it.

4. If you want to go fast don't buy MudBug tires. If you want to drive through, kind of float on top of that swampy muskeg crap - buy MudBugs.

high horse Hal
07-28-2022, 09:33 AM
Lots of good info here thanks
I like the comments about steel racks instead of plastic skins and the plus of a pull cord
except having tried the pull on a 500 I doubt it is usable for most riders.

have experience with a few Polaris machines , all newer EFI types , and all of them have had melted plastics from a very hot exhaust system
Right side knee area on all had major heat issues, dealer warned against using exhaust wrap
I know these have to run lean to meet emissions but why not a better air flow design

are all makes susceptible to melting

ACE
07-28-2022, 10:32 AM
​Did you find a suitable machine?

HappyJack
07-28-2022, 12:49 PM
HHH~the right side on my Polaris does throw a lot of heat, I had a little plastic melting right under the back of the seat on the right side, I wrapped the exhaust with a split bean can and some hay wire.

Andrewh
07-29-2022, 07:44 PM
​Did you find a suitable machine?

NOPE!!!

still looking and having a hell of a time trying to track one down. Narrowed it down to a Yami kodiak 450 or a rubicon.

Want the SE version of the Kodiak as it has a front locker or the 'camo EPS' kodiak as it also has a front locker. Lots of dealers advertise but I have yet to find one in stock. GA Checkpoint has a nice one but they are $600 over MSRP (listed on Yami) and charging damn near 1800 PDI/freight... When I asked if there was room to negotiate the guy basically told me to pound sand.

Ambush
07-29-2022, 09:43 PM
Want the SE version of the Kodiak as it has a front locker or the 'camo EPS' kodiak as it also has a front locker.

Did they start putting the front locker in the 450 Yamaha again? I had a 400 Yamaha Big Bear Professional for a few years then bought a new Kodiak 450 for my wife in 2007. Eventually sold the Big Bear, even though it was a great utility machine. I used the 450 for everything, including in deep hunting trips with trailers, until 2019. Then I decided I wanted power steering so went to buy a new 450 Kodiak. To my surprise when they started selling the 450 again they left off the front diff-lock. The price point was closer to the Honda by doing that. No diff-lock was a deal breaker for me!

I looked at quite a few machines (only Yamahas) before finding one that checked all my boxes. 2012, 700 Grizzly with all the options and accessories that I would install myself. Starting in 2015, the 700 used a Subaru (I think) engine instead of the tried and true Yamaha and there were problems so those were out to.

Overall the 450 was a great machine and did everything I asked of it and I would have bought another one. But the 700 has tons of power and is nice to ride.

I don't abuse machinery and routine maintenance should be just that; routine. Hose it off, check your axle boots regularly. Change your engine and diff fluids at the end of the season. Buy an outboard leg oil fill pump for your diffs and you can simply pump the oil in instead of trying to use funnels and hoses. Clean your air filter.

No offense to the others , but the Yamaha is a superior machine by way of reliability, usability and functionality. Hondas are good, but they have some dumb functions.

If you can get by without power steering, the older 450 Kodiaks are a good option. Often they were not used as hard as the bigger performance machines. "Putters" bought them. Check Alberta. If it has a snorkel or the rad has been remounted high up, keep looking. Look for water/mud lines up high where it's hard to get a hose to clean it. Yamaha has the best sealed wiring, but even they will creep water in if submerged enough times. Takes a year or so for the electrics to start acting up.

Downwindtracker2
07-30-2022, 08:23 AM
My hunting partner bought a Yami new last year, it was the last one available. I think in the province. He had a choice of white or white. I call it the Snow Leopard . If you are buying used look for cherry, no matter the brand, and pay the premium willingly. New, order in your choice, you should get it next year.

Andrewh
07-30-2022, 10:12 AM
Did they start putting the front locker in the 450 Yamaha again?

Three models sort of...

1. kodiak 450 (non-EPS, no locker)
2. kodiak 450 EPS (regular colors have no front locker, camo version has front locker)
3. kodiak 450 EPS SE (front locker and winch)

REMINGTON JIM
07-30-2022, 11:12 AM
What’s the price of a Kodak 450 EPS SE ? RJ

Andrewh
07-30-2022, 02:12 PM
What’s the price of a Kodak 450 EPS SE ? RJ

$10,200 and that includes factory winch.

then PDI, freight, tax...

REMINGTON JIM
07-30-2022, 02:35 PM
I Do a LOT of Quad riding and into a lot of TOUGH Going country ! I Ride a 16 Polaris Sportsman 570 EPS SE with 26 “ tires - it works Very Well and gets excellent Fuel mileage ! My Buddy I ride mostly with has a 19 Can Am EPS Outlander 650 with 26 “ tires -it also works well and gets good fuel Mileage . My son rides a 2013 Polaris Sportsman 800 with 27 “ tires It also works well BUT gets HORRIBLE fuel mileage - half what I get ! I Going to 27 “ tires too SOON ! Good Ground clearance is critical to a quads performance. RJ

dino
07-30-2022, 03:15 PM
Well I am really considering taking the plunge and putting a quad in the garage. I am not a rec trail rider by any stretch and the primary use would be for hunting. I ended up with a moose draw so I figure now is as good of time as any.

What are you guys looking out for when buying a used quad maybe a few years old? I am primary looking at a Honda or a Polaris in their respective 500cc range.

What is considered 'high mileage' on one of these machines?

As many have said. Honda for old school tech and reliability or yamaha for modern tech and reliability. Buy new if you can. Front diff lock is a must for my style of hunting with a pull start. A winch kills a battery fast when you've rolled your machine. The others are garbage. I've owned them all. I still have a polaris because I got it ridiculously cheap for a reason. Polaris =garbage

bighornbob
07-30-2022, 07:26 PM
$10,200 and that includes factory winch.

then PDI, freight, tax...

When I bought my 2013 Yamaha (brand new) from the Vernon dealer the quad came with a factory rebate and a free winch. I had to remind the dealer of the rebate and when they sent me the final price is was about $500 more then I expected. I asked for a breakdown of the pricing and found out I was charged about $110 for a mounting plate for the winch and another $300 or so for installation. I told them I didn’t want the winch installed as I was giving it to a friend. They said they would correct the pricing. They send me another invoice and it still does not add up to my price spreadsheet. I find out they are now wanting about $200 to remove the winch. I told them I’m not paying for something I did not want on the machine anyway. I told them I would walk if they were charging me the winch removal. They decided to remove it and we deal on the price I originally thought. When I pickup the machine and bring it home I go to mount the winch I had at home and I can tell right away the winch they had was never installed as there was thick paint (from the factory)in the holes where the mounting plate is supposed to go on the quad.

Not sure if it was just this dealer or it’s a trick by all of them to get extra bucks out of you. Just something to think about with a free winch.

BHB

MRP
07-30-2022, 08:21 PM
I Do a LOT of Quad riding and into a lot of TOUGH Going country ! I Ride a 16 Polaris Sportsman 570 EPS SE with 26 “ tires - it works Very Well and gets excellent Fuel mileage ! My Buddy I ride mostly with has a 19 Can Am EPS Outlander 650 with 26 “ tires -it also works well and gets good fuel Mileage . My son rides a 2013 Polaris Sportsman 800 with 27 “ tires It also works well BUT gets HORRIBLE fuel mileage - half what I get ! I Going to 27 “ tires too SOON ! Good Ground clearance is critical to a quads performance. RJ

The bigger they get the worse the mileage, my Polaris 2008 500efi with the stock 26” rubber and gives decent mileage. Unless you’re putting mud flogers on your quad going 26 to 27 is only a 1/2 more clearance. Funny most of the guys I know who have the big bad mud chuckers never go places that need it.

REMINGTON JIM
07-30-2022, 09:52 PM
The bigger they get the worse the mileage, my Polaris 2008 500efi with the stock 26” rubber and gives decent mileage. Unless you’re putting mud flogers on your quad going 26 to 27 is only a 1/2 more clearance. Funny most of the guys I know who have the big bad mud chuckers never go places that need it.

I need new tires soon SO I will go up to 27 “ but not mud chuckers as you call them ! Your reply is completely Bla Bla Bla ! :roll: RJ

.330 Dakota
07-31-2022, 08:59 AM
Honda has gears.
Others are belt drives.
As smith says: Calculate the average speed.
Pushing a snowplow . . not good.
One of my Honda 450's has 11,800 km . . . never skipped a beat.

The belt problem you mention is an old myth, I have plowed snow up here in the Cariboo region for 13 years straight using the same 450 Kodiak, never an issue and it will push way more wet snow than you would think. It amazes me at the power and traction it as when plowing. I still use this bike when hunting. Exellent bikes, never slipped a belt and never changed a belt, 5000 kms on it and going strong, same with my 700 Grizzly. BTW, Hondas have come into the 21st century now, they run a belt as well on almost all models except the straight axle antique they still offer to old guys that believe the gears are better, I winch those bikes out of holes every fall due to a lack of ground clearance under them

tri777
07-31-2022, 09:28 AM
The belt problem you mention is an old myth, I have plowed snow up here in the Cariboo region for 13 years straight using the same 450 Kodiak, never an issue and it will push way more wet snow than you would think. It amazes me at the power and traction it as when plowing. I still use this bike when hunting. Exellent bikes, never slipped a belt and never changed a belt, 5000 kms on it and going strong, same with my 700 Grizzly. BTW, Hondas have come into the 21st century now, they run a belt as well on almost all models except the straight axle antique they still offer to old guys that believe the gears are better, I winch those bikes out of holes every fall due to a lack of ground clearance under them

^^This !!
My '05 Kawasaki BruteForce 750 has a 9ft snowplow, massive snow amounts have been pushed with it, still the same belt that was on it when i bought it in 2017.

Andrewh
07-31-2022, 09:47 AM
Deposit dropped on Kodiak 450 SE!!!!

Supposed to show up in next 3 weeks...

Downwindtracker2
07-31-2022, 09:53 AM
Congrats ! Now you have to think about equipping it. You need a lid you can use while hunting. I bought mine at Can Tire.

Ron.C
07-31-2022, 09:57 AM

good choice!

I had followed this thread closely (I own a 2013 Kodiak 450 diff lock, carborated). I only use it about 2 days a year, mostly bear hunting and it's it great condition. Low milelage and garage stored. I nearly contacted you as I debated offering it for sale as it appears the used market is crazy and I could of gotten a good return for it.

But a good/reliable Quad is one of those things that is awesome to have, even if not used often.

For what used machines are going for and unless you know the seller and the history of the machine, you have no guarantee if it was abused or not.

I think you made the right decision to buy new. You'll still be enjoying that machine in a decade from now

Ferenc
07-31-2022, 10:34 AM
Good choice , but yer not outta the woods yet .. start shopping for some hand warmers , rack extensions and after the warranty look at the Rotella T6 to run in er.
Get a shop manual for it ... like everything else maintain er and keep her clean.... will last for a long time ... : )

Ubertuber
07-31-2022, 10:41 AM
As many have said. Honda for old school tech and reliability or yamaha for modern tech and reliability.. Polaris =garbage
I've hear this type of comment a lot regarding Hondas. What is the definition of old school vs modern tech? Injected? Diff lock? Independent rear suspension? EPS?
I've owned Kawasaki (1998 400), Yamaha (2005 450 and a 2010 grizzly 700) and Honda (2016 (Rubicon 500) ATV's. All three brands are/were fantastic quads that never let me down. The Grizzly and the Rubicon are both injected, have EPS, IRS, and diff lock.
Other than gears vs belt drive, what makes the Honda "old school"? Is it that they still offer straight rear axles on some machines?

Congrats on your purchase Andrewh, you'll get many years use out of that machine.

Husky7mm
07-31-2022, 10:49 AM

A fine choice, if it comes with a winch( I wouldnt run one without one) make sure its a WARN winch. Some years they offer the super winch and it is junk. The cable will rust ( and eventually break) and often the in out button gets stuck. Junk. Pay the extra if its not included and get the Warn. Also since you went with the 450 if you want better than factory rubber do not up grade the size, just the grip. Every inch will steal power and fuel economy from you. Nothing wrong with wearing out the factory rubber first. You will be shocked where that thing will take you.

Happy hunting Andrew.

ACE
07-31-2022, 11:46 AM
Also since you went with the 450 if you want better than factory rubber do not up grade the size, just the grip. Every inch will steal power and fuel economy from you. Nothing wrong with wearing out the factory rubber first. You will be shocked where that thing will take you.

As mentioned above, a taller tire will rob power. I have two identical 450 Honda Foreman quads. One is bone stock, the other with taller/wider/heavier rubber. The stocker is like a sports car compared to the hunting rig. Run out the factory rubber first. It's not as bad as some folks say it is.
Have fun, and congratulations !

.330 Dakota
07-31-2022, 12:25 PM
Smart move, you wont regret it, I ave 2 of the 450's in my shop, 2 500's and a 700, all great bikes but the newer 450 is my favorite by far

bentwrench
08-08-2022, 06:42 PM
Honda an yamaha for sure are the top choice.
you wanna look for missing hardware on the machine
no fluid leaks
knowing the official service history is a good idea, last time belts or u joints were serviced or replaced,
i find a good few basic indicators will tell you more then you need to know when buying a used machine is check the coolant condition an brakes
if the basic user doesn't keep on top of those two maintenance items i normally walk away pretty fast.

hawk-i
08-09-2022, 08:06 AM
I've got both a polaris sportsman 450 HO 2012, and a 2016 midsize Polaris Ranger 570 EPS side by side. (I don't need big power or speed for hunting).

Both were bought new and both have been and are excellent machines...although I"ve owned the quad 4 years longer than the Side by side, the SXS has close to 3 times the mileage on it ( close to 14,000KMs).

I've packed many moose on both machines but IMHO you just can't beat the comfort and load ability of the SXS as compared to the quad :)

If you're buying used, be very cautious of buying from some hotshot under the age of 30...could be rode hard and put away wet!

ACE
08-09-2022, 08:25 AM
Have owned Honda Quads since '86.
Have never owned or rode in a side x side . . . it seems that the s x s folks are covered in mud and dust more-so than quad riders. Mud on rifles & gear?

warnniklz
08-09-2022, 08:49 AM
Have owned Honda Quads since '86.
Have never owned or rode in a side x side . . . it seems that the s x s folks are covered in mud and dust more-so than quad riders. Mud on rifles & gear?

Cab system

REMINGTON JIM
08-09-2022, 09:27 AM
warniklz - Your MAILBOX is Full ! ;) RJ

warnniklz
08-09-2022, 09:51 AM
warniklz - Your MAILBOX is Full ! ;) RJ

cleared out