PDA

View Full Version : Kamloops Lake Bighorn 3-29B November 2022

vincentcui
06-28-2022, 01:58 PM
Hi folks, first off I wish you all good luck in your draws. My buddy (a freshly minted hunter) put in his first ever LEH and drew region 3-29B bighorn sheep! Since the time and zone are different from RyoTHC's draw, I would like to start a new thread to ask for tips / tricks / advices / recommendations, especially since Zone B is much smaller than Zone A therefore the method of hunting might differ. My team info:

Species: Mountain Sheep
Region / Zone: 3-29 B
LEH Time: Nov 1 to Nov 20
Planned Time of Stay: Minimum 5 days, maximum 10 days
Planned Time of Scouting: Sep 11 and Oct 2 (are these dates too early for scouting for November hunt?)

Team members:
- Me: Started hunting in 2013, firearm 300 WSM, notable big game experience Region 7B GOS Moose, Region 1 LEH Elk (friend's tag so I did not pull the trigger), Region 3 GOS 4-point Muley, and two bears per licence year, also enjoys small game hunting and had harvested two coyotes;
- My father: Started hunting in 2009, firearm 30-06 Springfield, notable big game experience Region 7A LEH Moose (his friends tag so he did not pull the trigger) multiple times, Region 8 GOS 6-point Elk, Region 8 GOS 3-point Muley, and two bears per licence year. Worked in farms during his childhood, vast experience in butchering animals;
- My friend who pulled the draw: Some firearm experience but never hunted big games.

Team equipment (other than gun and ammo):
- Proper hunting clothes, footwear, raingear and butchering tools;
- Pickup trucks, but no ATV;
- A good binocular, but no spotting scopes;
- No vehicle build-in radio, but the zone is small enough to be covered by my walkie-talkies;
- Have tents but planning to spend some dollars for city accommodation in order to reduce pack-and-load by removing tents, sleep gears and cookware.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

We would like to know from you (especially those who have hunted/harvested sheep in region 3-29B in November) the following questions:
1. Do I need to purchase any additional gear?
2. Since the area is so limited, do I just glass all day and find the biggest ram? How much hiking uphill is required, or is it a complete "sit-and-wait" game?
3. Are the sheep active all day, or are they like deer that dawn and dusk present the best opportunities to encounter large males?
4. What is the best window to hunt, Nov 1 to Nov 5, Nov 10 to Nov 13, or Nov 17 to Nov 20? Not sure if it is "the colder the better"; my team is willing to wait for colder weather if it increases the chance to spot bigger rams.

Feel free to drop more tips, tricks, advices and recommendation; we appreciate your words of wisdom. Thanks :)

RyoTHC
06-28-2022, 02:11 PM
While I don’t have anything to add, as I’m a total sheep rookie, I’d also like to congratulate you guys! from what I’ve heard that time slot is even better than an already amazing hunt.. can’t wait to hear your story as well.

I will say though, considering how close everything is anything I learn during my time up there, I’ll gladly report back afterwards.

vincentcui
06-28-2022, 03:31 PM
While I don’t have anything to add, as I’m a total sheep rookie, I’d also like to congratulate you guys! from what I’ve heard that time slot is even better than an already amazing hunt.. can’t wait to hear your story as well.

I will say though, considering how close everything is anything I learn during my time up there, I’ll gladly report back afterwards.

Thanks, what's crazy about this is that not only it is my father and my first sheep hunt, it is also my friend's first-ever hunt. My father also pulled a doe tag, maybe I could even bring my friend for Nov 1 doe hunt to "warm up" and "get into the mode".

Planer99
06-28-2022, 03:55 PM
I think you would do better to seriously scout a little closer to hunt date, as the sheep will moving around and starting to rut.
Best piece of equipment you can have for this hunt will be a good glass/tripod combo as you will be glassing across the lake.

Good luck

vincentcui
06-28-2022, 04:14 PM
I think you would do better to seriously scout a little closer to hunt date, as the sheep will moving around and starting to rut.
Best piece of equipment you can have for this hunt will be a good glass/tripod combo as you will be glassing across the lake.

Good luck

Thanks Planer 99, but I am not sure what do you mean by "glass across the lake", like, glassing from Tobiano Golf Course overlooking North of Kamloops Lake? I thought the "scouting" part is done by walking the terrain of 3-29B. Please feel free to educate me here, I had zero experience hunting sheep.

srupp
06-28-2022, 04:30 PM
hmmm one thing I noted 3-5 days? not nearly enough time..IMO..this IS A ONCE IN A LIFETIME EVENT..you would never go to HAWAII for 3-5 days and you could go again next year.
a spotting scope is REALLY almost a must for sheep as are good binos/boots.
find the sheep BEFORE they see you slow and steady like a glacier...i have 2 cali bighorns one is 167 and change..there are bigger rams there.your timing couldnt be better..
hard to sneak uphill to sheep..coming down is easier however sheep spooked from uphill tend to REALLY spook.IMO cali sheep start to escape downhill..while rockies wheel and blast uphill.
put the time and effort in and regardless of the outcome you will be happy.
congrads and goodluck
Srupp

vincentcui
06-28-2022, 04:53 PM
hmmm one thing I noted 3-5 days? not nearly enough time..IMO..this IS A ONCE IN A LIFETIME EVENT..you would never go to HAWAII for 3-5 days and you could go again next year.
a spotting scope is REALLY almost a must for sheep as are good binos/boots.
find the sheep BEFORE they see you slow and steady like a glacier...i have 2 cali bighorns one is 167 and change..there are bigger rams there.your timing couldnt be better..
hard to sneak uphill to sheep..coming down is easier however sheep spooked from uphill tend to REALLY spook.IMO cali sheep start to escape downhill..while rockies wheel and blast uphill.
put the time and effort in and regardless of the outcome you will be happy.
congrads and goodluck
Srupp

Thanks Srupp, your advice is well noted and is passed on to my father and my friend who pulled the draw. We have adjusted the plan and will spend longer time there, one week minimum. If I read you correctly, should I maybe have one person spotting across the lake (in this case me), and have the other two (my father and friend) sneak in on Frederick Rd? And since you mentioned that what likely gonna happen is sheep will show up downhill rather than uphill, is this particularly bad for human scent/sound transfer and also adding difficulty to shoot from top down angle?

srupp
06-28-2022, 05:39 PM
hmm basically find the sheep..put em to bed then move on them..sheep found one day will not be far away...sheep feed early am...once full lay down usually up pee/poop at 1pm a few bites and back to resting...dont forget the thermals RISING from 10 am ish then reversing 4 ?pm and heading downhill
sheeps vision is equal to 8 power binoculars..and they REALLY spot movement well.
if you find a group of ewes/lambs..usually there wont be a class 1v ram amongst them..the teen/adult rams will group together usually looking at all directions..for protection....the oldest hence most time biggest tend to be cranky old buggers and prefer sol..but not always..seen 3 big rams together lots.
find rams look where they are ! then ask yourself why...by 10 am they will be starting to rest/bed..look for the obvious white ass..like elk it really gives them away..lol
i believe BHB and BCRAMS are 2 of the finest sheep guys out there..hint hint...where there intel deviates from mine..follow their advice..although 30 years of watching bighorns has left me with obvious information.
local intel simply can not be beat.
please encourage lots of scouting trips and encourage a 10 day trip..best tip
find/rent borrow a spotting scope...find em you can shoot them with a 30-30..lol
walk with packs...break your boots in..practice shots to 300 yardsish
congrads
srupp

Avalanche123
06-28-2022, 06:02 PM
hmm basically find the sheep..put em to bed then move on them..sheep found one day will not be far away...sheep feed early am...once full lay down usually up pee/poop at 1pm a few bites and back to resting...dont forget the thermals RISING from 10 am ish then reversing 4 ?pm and heading downhill
sheeps vision is equal to 8 power binoculars..and they REALLY spot movement well.
if you find a group of ewes/lambs..usually there wont be a class 1v ram amongst them..the teen/adult rams will group together usually looking at all directions..for protection....the oldest hence most time biggest tend to be cranky old buggers and prefer sol..but not always..seen 3 big rams together lots.
find rams look where they are ! then ask yourself why...by 10 am they will be starting to rest/bed..look for the obvious white ass..like elk it really gives them away..lol
i believe BHB and BCRAMS are 2 of the finest sheep guys out there..hint hint...where there intel deviates from mine..follow their advice..although 30 years of watching bighorns has left me with obvious information.
find/rent borrow a spotting scope...find em you can shoot them with a 30-30..lol
congrads
srupp

Spotting scope and quality glass.
Ten days too

SRUPP offers some solid advise.
Good Luck!

Sharpish
06-28-2022, 06:36 PM
Show up a week before the draw opens and don’t leave until you kill a ram or the draw closes. This is one of the most coveted privileges in the hunting world. Make the most of it or don’t apply next time. Thousands of dedicated and deserving hunters dream about this draw their whole lives.

digger dogger
06-28-2022, 06:44 PM
Show up a week before the draw opens and don’t leave until you kill a ram or the draw closes. This is one of the most coveted privileges in the hunting world. Make the most of it or don’t apply next time. Thousands of dedicated and deserving hunters dream about this draw their whole lives.

Well that’s a dick thing to say!
Your right tho!!!
:-)

There’s some dandy rams in there, tell your buddy to not shoot a dink, he’ll regret it later.
A great hunt to set himself a standard.

twoSevenO
06-28-2022, 06:48 PM

This can't be stressed enough!!!

I know your buddy is new to hunting, but he will never get this chance again. It's a $50,000+ hunt for others and $50 in tags for him. If he decides he isn't interested or can't make the time he may end up with a life long regret if he gets more and more into hunting over the next several years and realizes what he missed out on.

It is truly a special hunt.

Also, BCRams has not been too active on here lately, that I recall. But, I would suggest to send a PM to "bcbillies". He is an experienced sheep hunter with at least one stone ram in the record book and also lives in Kamloops. I'm sure he can offer a few pointers

Retiredguy
06-28-2022, 07:34 PM

And that is it in a nutshell. Well said. Some may not like how you said it, but you are bang on.

vincentcui
06-28-2022, 08:08 PM
congrads
srupp

Thanks again, being in the military but never participated in combat due to my profession. I must work on my marksmanship again, especially long range (all my harvests were 250m distance or less)

vincentcui
06-28-2022, 08:09 PM
Spotting scope and quality glass.
Ten days too

SRUPP offers some solid advise.
Good Luck!

yes, I will buy a good one

vincentcui
06-28-2022, 08:15 PM

Thanks for your advise, my group is now planning to throw two weeks in Kamloops. Can’t risk losing this once in a life time opportunity

vincentcui
06-28-2022, 08:19 PM
Well that’s a dick thing to say!
Your right tho!!!
:-)

There’s some dandy rams in there, tell your buddy to not shoot a dink, he’ll regret it later.
A great hunt to set himself a standard.

Absolutely; we won’t shoot the first one we see, will glass days before we make a decision

vincentcui
06-28-2022, 08:21 PM
This can't be stressed enough!!!

I know your buddy is new to hunting, but he will never get this chance again. It's a $50,000+ hunt for others and $50 in tags for him. If he decides he isn't interested or can't make the time he may end up with a life long regret if he gets more and more into hunting over the next several years and realizes what he missed out on.

It is truly a special hunt.

Also, BCRams has not been too active on here lately, that I recall. But, I would suggest to send a PM to "bcbillies". He is an experienced sheep hunter with at least one stone ram in the record book and also lives in Kamloops. I'm sure he can offer a few pointers

Thanks, we will ensure to put this LEH in good use. Will DM bcbillies

LBM
06-28-2022, 08:22 PM
Thanks again, being in the military but never participated in combat due to my profession. I must work on my marksmanship again, especially long range (all my harvests were 250m distance or less)

The guy with the tag should be doing the practice, you have mentioned what you and your dad shoot etc , but what about the tag holder. Whats his thoughts on all this.

RyoTHC
06-28-2022, 08:25 PM
Fair point LBM, no party hunting in BC, nothing like the good old group deer drives back east!
it does annoy me that it’s even against the law to help put down an already shot / wounded animal.

vincentcui
06-28-2022, 08:35 PM
The guy with the tag should be doing the practice, you have mentioned what you and your dad shoot etc , but what about the tag holder. Whats his thoughts on all this.

Yes we will get him trained to a standard. He has a 6.5 creed, has decent marksmanship and my father and I will take him for Sep 1 bear hunt, Sep 10 4-pt muley hunt (unlikely to be successful) and Oct 1 muley buck hunt to train him to remain when seeing big games, then pull the trigger.

BCbillies
06-28-2022, 09:53 PM
Great draw your friend got . . . some of us are only slightly envious! ;) Been to that zone on more than one occasion in November. I live at Kamloops Lake so look at those hills every day. Let’s connect.

srupp
06-28-2022, 09:56 PM
Thanks for your advise, my group is now planning to throw two weeks in Kamloops. Can’t risk losing this once in a life time opportunity

great news very good decision..the hunter will never regret the extra time like has been mentioned this hunt is worth $ 50,000 -$ 60,000 NEVER to be repeated again in his life.
cheers
steven

bighornbob
06-28-2022, 10:17 PM
If you need a hand let me know. I made the same offer to the other zone draw winner too just have not PMd him back yet.

One thing that others have not mentioned is a bunch of these rams move east in the winter and live in town along Ord Road in Kamloops. They are used to people etc so they won’t be spooky like a “wild” ram in the kootenays that see a guy a 600 yards and is heading for the timber or high country. Also tons of hikers and walkers in that country year round.

These rams will most likely Not be spooky. I would bet a few of my ram mounts you could walk upright and insight within 200 yards of these rams to get a good shot.

if you feel inclined to belly crawl to get within shooting range be aware there are a lot of cactus in that country. Always look down before sitting, kneeling etc. and definitely look at ground around you when sitting and glassing. I have leaned back while glassing and pricked my hand on a cactus. You will only do that once without looking first the next time.

PM me. Always available to be an extra set of eyes and for ram judging.

BHB

vincentcui
06-28-2022, 10:26 PM
Great draw your friend got . . . some of us are only slightly envious! ;) Been to that zone on more than one occasion in November. I live at Kamloops Lake so look at those hills every day. Let’s connect.
Thanks BCbillies, will respond to your message

vincentcui
06-28-2022, 10:35 PM
If you need a hand let me know. I made the same offer to the other zone draw winner too just have not PMd him back yet.

One thing that others have not mentioned is a bunch of these rams move east in the winter and live in town along Ord Road in Kamloops. They are used to people etc so they won’t be spooky like a “wild” ram in the kootenays that see a guy a 600 yards and is heading for the timber or high country. Also tons of hikers and walkers in that country year round.

These rams will most likely Not be spooky. I would bet a few of my ram mounts you could walk upright and insight within 200 yards of these rams to get a good shot.

if you feel inclined to belly crawl to get within shooting range be aware there are a lot of cactus in that country. Always look down before sitting, kneeling etc. and definitely look at ground around you when sitting and glassing. I have leaned back while glassing and pricked my hand on a cactus. You will only do that once without looking first the next time.

PM me. Always available to be an extra set of eyes and for ram judging.

BHB
Thanks BugHornBob, will message you now, really appreciate your words of advice

srupp
06-29-2022, 01:32 AM
hmmm yet another genuine offer by BHB CLASS ACT. you WILL be in GREAT HANDS with his experience knowledge .
so wonderful to see that when once in a lifetime opportunites arrise so many members step up and forward to assist.
one of our members lives on ORD RD and I HAVE INDEED seen rams literally behind his house..
however i was NOT aware they had become so habituated to humans presence to that extent.
hmmm expect LOTS of photos of the hunter,the crew,the ram and THE SMILES..
THE MOST FUN YOU CAN HAVE WITH YOUR CLOTHES ON.
Srupp

Wild Images
06-29-2022, 01:09 PM
Take BCBILLIES up on his offer !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

vincentcui
06-29-2022, 01:39 PM
Take BCBILLIES up on his offer !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Yes, I have texted him and received massive amount of info on ram hunting in zone B :)

bchunter181
06-29-2022, 01:58 PM
if you need some help shoot me a PM. I can help with locating rams.

vincentcui
06-29-2022, 02:06 PM
if you need some help shoot me a PM. I can help with locating rams.
Thanks, I tried to send you a message but the system said your inbox is full

tigrr
06-29-2022, 08:25 PM
You excited yet Vince?
So many offers to help make it a success.

vincentcui
06-30-2022, 07:43 AM
You excited yet Vince?
So many offers to help make it a success.
Yes, I’m so excited and felt truly blessed that our forum and hunting community had many keen and experienced hunters offering help

wallz
06-30-2022, 09:45 AM
I know I'd be like a kid being in a candy store for the first time!!! I'd probably already be having sleepless nights with all the excitement!

Good luck on your quest, and make sure you have the pictures with the story in the fall after the hunt. We will be looking for them.

bchunter181
06-30-2022, 10:57 AM
Thanks, I tried to send you a message but the system said your inbox is full got it fixed thanks

vincentcui
06-30-2022, 08:42 PM
I know I'd be like a kid being in a candy store for the first time!!! I'd probably already be having sleepless nights with all the excitement!

Good luck on your quest, and make sure you have the pictures with the story in the fall after the hunt. We will be looking for them.
Yes, I already lost a couple nights of sleeps dreaming about this hunt. Hopefully my group ends up harvesting a full curl!

twoSevenO
06-30-2022, 09:58 PM
Yes, I already lost a couple nights of sleeps dreaming about this hunt. Hopefully my group ends up harvesting a full curl!

I wouldn't focus on his curl too much. I'd look for one that had the thickest horns and a ram that was the oldest most mature looking ram of the group.

Maybe start googling some pictures of different age class rams. Older rams can have the tips "broomed" meaning essentially worn out so that they appear shorter than some other younger rams.

I think most people would rather have a 3/4 curl 10-12 year old ram that a full curl that is maybe 6.

Take bighornbob on his offer (if you havent already)! Ask if you can give him a call. You will likely learn more in one telephone call with a gent like that than reading forums for days.

Wild Images
07-01-2022, 07:22 AM
Look up Dennis Kitto if you want to see the best rams in the area

His photos are second to none

And for Gods sake learn how to cape it properly and take way more than you think you need

Retiredguy
07-01-2022, 07:31 AM
Take the advice and help from the sheep nuts on this forum that live in the area. One thing about the really crappy odds for rams in some of the draws. The sheepaholics will be happy to give you a hand cause they get to go sheep hunting and the only thing that is better than going sheep hunting yourself is helping someone else get a ram when you can't.

vincentcui
07-03-2022, 07:53 AM
I wouldn't focus on his curl too much. I'd look for one that had the thickest horns and a ram that was the oldest most mature looking ram of the group.

Maybe start googling some pictures of different age class rams. Older rams can have the tips "broomed" meaning essentially worn out so that they appear shorter than some other younger rams.

I think most people would rather have a 3/4 curl 10-12 year old ram that a full curl that is maybe 6.

Take bighornbob on his offer (if you havent already)! Ask if you can give him a call. You will likely learn more in one telephone call with a gent like that than reading forums for days.
That's right, double broomed is even better

vincentcui
07-03-2022, 07:57 AM
Look up Dennis Kitto if you want to see the best rams in the area

His photos are second to none

And for Gods sake learn how to cape it properly and take way more than you think you need
Yes, I am already contacting Ray Wiens on caping sheep

LBM
07-03-2022, 04:17 PM
That's right, double broomed is even better

Lots of info coming in on what type of ram etc should be shot but what does the actual tag holder think
what kind of ram is he looking/hoping for on this hunt.

vincentcui
07-04-2022, 07:53 AM
Take the advice and help from the sheep nuts on this forum that live in the area. One thing about the really crappy odds for rams in some of the draws. The sheepaholics will be happy to give you a hand cause they get to go sheep hunting and the only thing that is better than going sheep hunting yourself is helping someone else get a ram when you can't.
Yes, many had offered help and sent me PM. Thanks.

vincentcui
07-04-2022, 07:54 AM
Lots of info coming in on what type of ram etc should be shot but what does the actual tag holder think
what kind of ram is he looking/hoping for on this hunt.
I just had a chat with him yesterday, he is willing to spend time to seek for the oldest ram.

RyoTHC
09-21-2022, 05:48 PM
Something tells me you guys are getting a little stir crazy huh!?