PDA

View Full Version : Moose in Region 6

Would Rather Be Fishing
06-28-2022, 01:33 PM
Can someone help me clarify the new Regs?

On the title page of Region 6 it states "Replacement of all moose general open seasons in the South Skeena (except MUs 6-1 and 6-2) with limited entry hunting"

However, the notes to 6-17-629 only state :
▲ Hunters Note: Parts of several MUs have special regulations, are closed to Moose hunting or are open by LEH authorization only. See Maps F35, F44, F45, F46;
▼ A portion of MU 6-25 is closed to hunting of moose during the period Sept 25 - Oct 10, within 400 m of the shore of and over that portion of Teslin Lake south of the north end of Shaman Lake (also known as Burial Island), and including Shaman Island. see Map F35.

The way I read this is "only the regions in Maps F35, F44, F45, F46 are LEH or closed"...

S.W.A.T.
06-28-2022, 01:35 PM
No GOS in 6 unless its posted, all MU's are LEH only

kitnayakwa77
06-28-2022, 01:57 PM
The Northern part of Region 6 (Cassiar Highway from about Meziadin northwards (6-17) is still GOS, with special restrictions in certain areas, as shown on the maps.
South Skeena, south of Meziadin (6-30, 6-15, 6-11, 6-10, 6-9 etc) is LEH only for moose with the exception of 6-1 and 6-2, which are difficult access MU's, so less pressure.
That's my read.

Would Rather Be Fishing
06-28-2022, 02:12 PM
Hmmm no offence but I am not sure how that is supposed to be helpful as 6-17 to 6-29 are clearly listed under GOS.

Reading this over a few more times I realize the operative word is SOUTH Skeena and the northern MU's still allow for Moose (with noted regional exceptions).

No GOS in 6 unless its posted, all MU's are LEH only

Would Rather Be Fishing
06-28-2022, 02:13 PM
That is what I figured now as well, thanks

The Northern part of Region 6 (Cassiar Highway from about Meziadin northwards (6-17) is still GOS, with special restrictions in certain areas, as shown on the maps.
South Skeena, south of Meziadin (6-30, 6-15, 6-11, 6-10, 6-9 etc) is LEH only for moose with the exception of 6-1 and 6-2, which are difficult access MU's, so less pressure.
That's my read.

S.W.A.T.
06-28-2022, 02:50 PM
Hmmm no offence but I am not sure how that is supposed to be helpful as 6-17 to 6-29 are clearly listed under GOS.

Reading this over a few more times I realize the operative word is SOUTH Skeena and the northern MU's still allow for Moose (with noted regional exceptions).

If you know or look at the map, you can see all these GOS area's are hard to get at, being restricted at the request of natives or closed off due to industry (behind secure gates) Yes you can drive to 6-23, but with very limited access via rd or plane its difficult to hunt. The GOS is still active up north. The biggest area's of 6-4 to 6-9 are no longer available. Research prior to travel. Not being able to hunt the Dease Corridor cuts off a massive amount of territory. To call region 6 as having a "general open season" would imply that the general public has access but really its only open for those who have the means to do so.

Would Rather Be Fishing
06-28-2022, 03:18 PM
Yeah that's fair.... I was merily clarifying the regs at it seemed to be unclear when comparing the two statements in the OP, but I get it now....

If you know or look at the map, you can see all these GOS area's are hard to get at, being restricted at the request of natives or closed off due to industry (behind secure gates) Yes you can drive to 6-23, but with very limited access via rd or plane its difficult to hunt. The GOS is still active up north. The biggest area's of 6-4 to 6-9 are no longer available. Research prior to travel. Not being able to hunt the Dease Corridor cuts off a massive amount of territory. To call region 6 as having a "general open season" would imply that the general public has access but really its only open for those who have the means to do so.

ElectricDyck
06-29-2022, 08:47 AM
Regs are getting increasingly complicated..

Arctic Lake
06-29-2022, 09:22 AM
You need to be a Surveyor , Biologist and Lawyer not to run afoul of the law !
Arctic Lake
Regs are getting increasingly complicated..

ElectricDyck
06-29-2022, 10:01 AM
Im used to reading the electrical code book with all the "notwithstanding" clauses, reference charts, see appendix B etc etc...but I can see a lot of people making mistakes on when/where they can shoot which antlered bull, especially if english isn't your first language. Hunt Buddy is great but a smart phone shouldn't be a requirement to hunt.

Arctic Lake
06-29-2022, 11:02 AM
Ver True ! How about they revert back to plain English !
Arctic Lake
Im used to reading the electrical code book with all the "notwithstanding" clauses, reference charts, see appendix B etc etc...but I can see a lot of people making mistakes on when/where they can shoot which antlered bull, especially if english isn't your first language. Hunt Buddy is great but a smart phone shouldn't be a requirement to hunt.

hawk-i
06-29-2022, 11:53 AM
Hunt Buddy is great but a smart phone shouldn't be a requirement to hunt.

How else are "they" going to Geo-track your where abouts? :)