PDA

View Full Version : First time Caribou Hunt - LEH

truenorthhunting
06-27-2022, 04:18 PM
Hi everyone,

I was lucky enough to land a Caribou LEH in Spatsizi this year - August 15-31! It'll be my first time hunting Caribou. I was wondering if anyone had any tips they'd be willing to share! Also, does anyone know if Region 6-20 Zone A is only accessible by Fly-in? Or is it possible to drive up to Iskut with my trailer and pack in for a week from there?

Any advice or feedback would be greatly appreciated!

Downtown
06-27-2022, 04:39 PM
If you leave your Vehicle parked in the Flying Outfit yard, you can assume its still there and in one piece when you come out of the Bush.

Everything else all Bets are off !

Cheers

Lelantos
06-27-2022, 05:40 PM
Hi everyone,

I was lucky enough to land a Caribou LEH in Spatsizi this year - August 15-31! It'll be my first time hunting Caribou. I was wondering if anyone had any tips they'd be willing to share! Also, does anyone know if Region 6-20 Zone A is only accessible by Fly-in? Or is it possible to drive up to Iskut with my trailer and pack in for a week from there?

Any advice or feedback would be greatly appreciated!

I'm new to this too, but my reading of the threads suggests you're going to need to fly in.

Don't forget to read about the missing hunter and be on the look out for him.

If you're going solo, and probably even if you aren't, make sure you have satellite communication. If solo Id suggest using some satellite tracking for trusted friends and keep that thing charged. Also do like the name says and keep it in reach at all times.

mikek blacktail
06-27-2022, 06:09 PM
Book your flight soon, Klappan rail grade is not passable . If you have any questions pm I have done it before

Jrax
06-27-2022, 06:45 PM
Book your flight soon, Klappan rail grade is not passable . If you have any questions pm I have done it before

Klappan rail grade is not passable with truck or any vehicle? Is it quad accessible? I know of the last washout from last year but havent heard if anyone has attempted to go by with quads or if it was planned to get repaired.

truenorthhunting
06-27-2022, 08:45 PM
If you leave your Vehicle parked in the Flying Outfit yard, you can assume its still there and in one piece when you come out of the Bush.

Everything else all Bets are off !

Cheers

Haha, good to know! Thanks for the input

truenorthhunting
06-27-2022, 08:45 PM
I'm new to this too, but my reading of the threads suggests you're going to need to fly in.

Don't forget to read about the missing hunter and be on the look out for him.

If you're going solo, and probably even if you aren't, make sure you have satellite communication. If solo Id suggest using some satellite tracking for trusted friends and keep that thing charged. Also do like the name says and keep it in reach at all times.

Yea it's looking like fly-in would be the best option regardless.

I'll definitely read up on the missing hunter and keep an eye out! Thanks for the heads up

Agreed! I always carry my in-reach on me at all times with extended lightweight charging devices and keep in communication with my family and hunting friends. If I do end up going solo I'll be extra diligent for sure.

Thank you!

truenorthhunting
06-27-2022, 08:46 PM

Will do! I requested a quote for chartered flights leaving from Smithers this morning to get an idea of what I'm looking at. I'll send you a PM as well to make sure I'm on the right track.

Thanks! Really appreciate it

S.W.A.T.
06-27-2022, 08:49 PM
Curious why you didn't look into this prior to putting in for the draw? Flights are getting harder to get.

digger dogger
06-28-2022, 06:05 AM
I’d rather take a hard kick in the nuts, before I walked a caribou outta there.
Going from the big lake to the where the bou are is a bitch, never mind walking outta the park.
Get a flight and do it quickly.
Coldfish is a very busy lake.
Call Klappan air if ur going to fly in.
Was about 2200 flight before inflation.
Get into shape, caribou are heavy.