PDA

View Full Version : Don't leave anything at camp!

JIL_24/7
06-14-2022, 12:14 PM
What happened to honour? Integrity? Respect?
This year my wife and I took our life savings and bought property in the Cariboo. We did this because we could never afford a house in the LML. We did this to leave an inheritance for our children. My 3 kids all completed their CORE this year, and we decided to move our trailer and gear there to create a base for camping, fishing and hunting.
On Sunday evening I arrived at our property to find our trailer stripped of batteries, propane tanks, wiring, and every bit of gear gone. Doors left open and standing water.
I had been gone a week.
Sleeping bags and brooms included were taken.
Yes. I know. I should have expected it, but I didn't.
Now all our fishing gear is gone. All our camping gear is gone. All my tools are gone. My hunting clothes. The kids hunting clothes. All of the things I have spent YEARS budgeting for and collecting so I could give my kids what I didn't have!
This is remote property. I planned on putting the trail cams up this week. I guess I was a few days too late. They stole those too.
I can't afford to re-outfit. Why must we aim to profit at the expense of others? What happens when the people you take from were already living in thin margins?
It's happening all over apparently, so watch your camp.

Bustercluck
06-14-2022, 12:19 PM
What happened to honour? Integrity? Respect?
This year my wife and I took our life savings and bought property in the Cariboo. We did this because we could never afford a house in the LML. We did this to leave an inheritance for our children. My 3 kids all completed their CORE this year, and we decided to move our trailer and gear there to create a base for camping, fishing and hunting.
On Sunday evening I arrived at our property to find our trailer stripped of batteries, propane tanks, wiring, and every bit of gear gone. Doors left open and standing water.
I had been gone a week.
Sleeping bags and brooms included were taken.
Yes. I know. I should have expected it, but I didn't.
Now all our fishing gear is gone. All our camping gear is gone. All my tools are gone. My hunting clothes. The kids hunting clothes. All of the things I have spent YEARS budgeting for and collecting so I could give my kids what I didn't have!
This is remote property. I planned on putting the trail cams up this week. I guess I was a few days too late. They stole those too.
I can't afford to re-outfit. Why must we aim to profit at the expense of others? What happens when the people you take from were already living in thin margins?
It's happening all over apparently, so watch your camp.
Do you have insurance?

ACE
06-14-2022, 12:25 PM
Sad to hear of your loss.
Was your property in a proposed FI land-return area?
Nothing's sacred anymore . . . .

JIL_24/7
06-14-2022, 12:25 PM
Do you have insurance?
Insurance covers theft of the trailer. Not the contents. I haven't been able to see if renter's insurance will cover anything, but at this point there's not much hope of that.

JIL_24/7
06-14-2022, 12:26 PM
Sad to hear of your loss.
Was your property in a proposed FI land-return area?
Nothing's sacred anymore . . . .

No it is not

adriaticum
06-14-2022, 12:28 PM
Sorry to hear, but this is what we have become.
It's not other fishermen/hunters but the shit-rats have multiplied.

IronNoggin
06-14-2022, 12:30 PM
Damn sorry to hear that!
Hope you can find some way to recover.

This society has gone to hell in a handbasket.

RyoTHC
06-14-2022, 12:43 PM
Anywhere near Williams lake? Or horsefly? That area is nasty with career thieves that can’t be punished by our laws… on our moose hunt, multiple times trucks would stop to rummage through our quads where they were parked, watched one try to roll one away..

j270wsm
06-14-2022, 12:46 PM
That sucks….sounds like you would have been better off if they burnt it after taking all your stuff.

how old are the kids? Boys/girls? Possibility that I might have some old camo.

Husky7mm
06-14-2022, 12:47 PM
That is a very heartbreaking story. These shitrats are a plague. Maybe a metal shed with no windows and a really tough lock. It really sucks hopefully some insurance. Lock box the cams, put them up high to and angle them down.

bottles
06-14-2022, 12:47 PM
Keep an eye out on local craigslist, facebook marketplace, etc.
That's brutal. Hopefully you can recover your stuff.

caddisguy
06-14-2022, 12:48 PM
Very sorry to hear this happened. The Cariboo is a beauty place but just like the city, thieves are always lurking and since things are a little more remote (less eyes out there) the thieves are pretty bold. Less chance of being confronted out in the sticks there (they can take their time and know they can probably even crash there a night or two) and just like anywhere else, not really any legal consequences if they do get caught.

There are lots of people from the LML with property up there that only visit every few weekends seasonally, so lots of easy targets for thieves. Unless someone is living there full time or you have neighbours or enough other out of towners to coordinate checking on each others places, it's pretty tough to avoid. Even a cabin or other home all locked up is likely to be broken into if left for unattended. Winters are the worst for that. Not uncommon for squatters to take up residence in cabins/houses out there, squat for a month and hack up the structure inside and out just to burn in the wood furnace even if there's wood around outside.

I hope insurance will cover the damage to the trailer as well as the stolen items. Hopefully you coordinate with some peeps to keep an eye on things, but best not to leave much if anything there or build anything on it until (if and when) the property can be occupied most of the time.

wideopenthrottle
06-14-2022, 12:52 PM
sorry to hear of your stuff...hopefully no guns included in the list...buddy who had property up near hundred mile said first thing he put up at the place was a sea can locked up tight...it got broken into too eventually...he finally sold his (W)rec(K) property

Singleshotneeded
06-14-2022, 12:54 PM
So sorry to hear that! Like adriaticum said, I highly doubt it was outdoorsmen...but the vermin thieves that prowl around looking to steal are growing in number.
Makes you want to set up a bait camp sometime, well out of the way, and with a few amigos hidden around, give them a warm welcome when they come "shopping".

Jamesonm
06-14-2022, 12:54 PM
Do you have a list of items we can be on the lookout for? Happy to monitor for stuff as I regularly browse a few times a week varous marketplaces.

Bustercluck
06-14-2022, 01:05 PM
Insurance covers theft of the trailer. Not the contents. I haven't been able to see if renter's insurance will cover anything, but at this point there's not much hope of that.
Home insurance covers your contents no matter where they go missing. My truck was broken into at the zoo and my home insurance covered everything. If they cover it let us know so we can have a discussion about dealing with insurance as well

HarryToolips
06-14-2022, 01:07 PM
I'm sorry to hear that...I hope you create a police file, and then maybe your items will turn up..

Downtown
06-14-2022, 01:10 PM
The Caribou is bad but all other areas in BC including Vancouver Island are not far behind. Any place with road access is in danger to get looted, ransacked and burned down. Places far out in the Bush without Road/Boat Access seem to do better but there are no Guarantees. At one time I left 8 Saddles on the Porch of a Fly in only Lake Cabin to be picked up by our Pilot a few Days later, by the Time he got there the Saddles where all gone.

Trail Cams are a good tool to identify Thieves and Vehicles.

Cheers

ACE
06-14-2022, 01:53 PM
If the thieves are local, they may have trail cameras along different roads and travel routes. As other folks have mentioned, there's a whole different type of people in the backcountry now. Torched cars, trash, timber theft, squatters and their mounds of garbage and poached animal dumps . . . . the bush isn't like it used to be.

JIL, sure hoping you get some resolution to your situation, and that you will be able to enjoy your holdings without looking over your shoulder all the time.

Salty
06-14-2022, 02:03 PM
Very sorry to hear this JIL. Chin up man, it will get better might take a while but it will.

There was a rash of theft in the Southern Cariboo 5-6 years ago. They ended up getting two guys from Surrey/Langley area. Its not just locals thieves travel. They get tired of having to work for it in the urban areas so take a road trip to where peoples guard is down more and go to town. Thieves are anywhere and everywhere and can come from anywhere and everywhere.

Hunter gatherer
06-14-2022, 02:05 PM
I'm not sure if a shipping container would be a better option for leaving all your stuff in. Sorry it happened to you shit rats everywhere.

notyalc
06-14-2022, 02:12 PM
We have a cabin up in Lac la hache and luckily..knock on wood, we have never had an incident like this. That’s got to be heart breaking to discover. Where abouts is your property if you don’t mind me asking?

TUGGER
06-14-2022, 02:32 PM
hate you going to be close to salmon arm?

northof49
06-14-2022, 02:33 PM
Thats awful….sorry to hear. They will be certain to return periodically to see if they can score again. Best not leave anything there. Just the way it is nowadays unfortunately.

Linksman313
06-14-2022, 02:34 PM
jIL,

I am in the midst of a big hunting gear refresh at my place, i somewhat underestimated the size my children would be at 4yrs old (4yr old moose fed son is 105lbs lmao, they are right about eating wild and growing em big) and have a ton of gear with plenty of life left to donate to your cause. Let me know some sizing. I have a good size pile of used waterfowl stuff (waterproof), boots, waders/ decent hunting jackets, pants and gloves as well as backpacks/fanny bags that could work for you even thought the camo pattern is a little out of date lol
Sorry to hear you got burned
never again eh!
Links

TUGGER
06-14-2022, 02:34 PM
that’s what i get for not reading my post i ment ARE you

caddisguy
06-14-2022, 02:38 PM
We have a cabin up in Lac la hache and luckily..knock on wood, we have never had an incident like this. That’s got to be heart breaking to discover. Where abouts is your property if you don’t mind me asking?

Pretty good area around there. Not too many peeps that it's busy, but enough that there are eyes around most of the year looking out for each other. Those places along Timothy Lake Rd though, at least back in the day (I haven't been over there in several years) were pretty spaced out without much eyes and they'd get hit a fair deal.

Spy
06-14-2022, 02:44 PM
I’m so sorry to hear, what a piss off. Does anyone know how to start a go fund me? I will throw in the the first $100.

Iron Glove
06-14-2022, 02:47 PM

Sorry to hear this.
Yes, check your "renter's" insurance as most policies will cover personal properly "temporarily" away from your residence. Some will also cover your personal property for a length of time ( ours is 60 days ) at a "new" location if you are moving to it.

northof49
06-14-2022, 02:47 PM
If no insurance maybe consider starting a gofundme to help replace some of the family gear….post a link here on HBC. I would be happy to kick in a few bucks to help out a fellow HBC’r….just a thought. I can’t stand thieves and it is hard for anyone to take a blow like that.

Bugle M In
06-14-2022, 03:29 PM
Firstly, also really sorry to hear that.
The cariboo region is becoming very disappointing from all the reports I keep hearing.

I would be like to thank those in the EK who have crossed my camps and never touched anything as of yet.
Atleast one area were folks have some class and morals.

BRvalley
06-14-2022, 03:29 PM
sorry to hear this, I hate thieves...I've had a couple of losses myself, boils my blood reading your post

I hope you and your family can still get out hunting this season

JIL_24/7
06-14-2022, 03:55 PM
Thank you all for your support. My family is taking it all in stride. Pretty proud of the kiddos. My kids are 10, 12 and 14. I didn't have anyone take me into the mountains as a kid, so I just started hunting and doing these things once I had kids. We're finally somewhat proficient at it lol. We'll bounce back. I put in a claim with our renter's insurance, but it looks like a long shot. I'm not raising whiners or quitters, so we'll be back at it. Just an emotional post earlier.

BimmerBob
06-14-2022, 04:08 PM
Thank you all for your support. My family is taking it all in stride. Pretty proud of the kiddos. My kids are 10, 12 and 14. I didn't have anyone take me into the mountains as a kid, so I just started hunting and doing these things once I had kids. We're finally somewhat proficient at it lol. We'll bounce back. I put in a claim with our renter's insurance, but it looks like a long shot. I'm not raising whiners or quitters, so we'll be back at it. Just an emotional post earlier.

So sorry to hear about your loss, absolutely despicable activity by lowlifes.

Where are you located? If you are anywhere near me I can offer a bit of camp equipment for your re-equip. I have a number of Coleman white gas stoves, a propane camp stove (fold out legs and cover) and a couple a smaller bar-b-ques that I can offer depending upon your camp cooking style if you could use such an item.

Let me know if you can use anything in the list and we can make it happen.

Cheers, B

HappyJack
06-14-2022, 07:28 PM
It's terrible when people help themselves to your property, we had our fishing camp ripped off one night while we slept. I hope you manage to track them down and break both of their legs. When we owned a cabin it was a regular thing to find it vandalized and robbed, main reason we sold it.

scoutlt1
06-14-2022, 07:44 PM

Send me a PM if you like. I have some gear that I can lend you for the next while, and I have a place that you could use as a "base camp" for your next few hunts. Power/water/ etc...no charge of course. I don't have much stuff left over from when my boys were young, but I'll have a look and let you know.

Sh*t like this just gets my blood boiling....:mad::mad:

twoSevenO
06-14-2022, 09:19 PM
Bummer. Too many stories like this. A friend sold.his trap line because people would constantly break into his cabin.

I'm honestly not sure how anyone manages to keep a cabin secure that they only use seasonally?

They dont even have to take anything. It's enough to just break in and leave the door open. By the time you come back the place will be a write off ..... :(

Zero respect for the fellow man nowdays and losers everywhere

TeeVee
06-14-2022, 09:34 PM
It's terrible when people help themselves to your property, we had our fishing camp ripped off one night while we slept. I hope you manage to track them down and break both of their legs. When we owned a cabin it was a regular thing to find it vandalized and robbed, main reason we sold it.

We dealt with a few low lifes that did that and were on game camera...few weeks later the same guys showed up but left with broken jaws and several other broken bones. Never did see them again.

Redthies
06-14-2022, 10:25 PM
I had my trailer broken into at my camp 20 years ago. Lost a lot of gear. Times change, but A-holes are a constant!

Shows how many good people are out there though, with the generosity of the members here.

caddisguy
06-15-2022, 12:30 AM
Send me a PM if you like. I have some gear that I can lend you for the next while, and I have a place that you could use as a "base camp" for your next few hunts. Power/water/ etc...no charge of course. I don't have much stuff left over from when my boys were young, but I'll have a look and let you know.

Sh*t like this just gets my blood boiling....:mad::mad:

^^^ 5 star HBC'er right there, put a smile on my face

decker9
06-15-2022, 04:43 AM
Man that’s brutal, very sorry to hear this. Fingers crossed the insurance comes through for you.

When I was young, we always had hidden conibears scattered around the cabin ready for unsuspecting hands, back then a person didn’t really need them. Times have sure changed.

If you were to put a list together, there may be some spare gear folks may be able to help with. We all got some of that gear on the shelf that will never get used, I know I do.

tigrr
06-15-2022, 07:25 AM
A guy just had his atv stolen out of a locked shed near Horsefly. They don't usually come out this far.

high horse Hal
06-15-2022, 08:17 AM
They left the trailer?
Family near Arrow Lake had a complete 22 ft. unit stolen, packed with clothes, camping and fishing gear
2nd hand info, may have been from home property,

Consequences.....

Redthies
06-15-2022, 10:03 AM
They left the trailer?
Family near Arrow Lake had a complete 22 ft. unit stolen, packed with clothes, camping and fishing gear
2nd hand info, may have been from home property,

Consequences.....

Do you remember the post on here a couple of years ago where the two guys were heading up north to moose camp with a travel trailer, and needed to backtrack to a bigger town for supplies. They unhitched the trailer at a “safe” spot, and one guy stayed to cook dinner in the trailer etc while the other took the truck back to town. 1/2 hour later, the cook hears a truck back up and start to hitch up. Goes out to help his buddy only to find random strangers trying to steal the whole trailer while he was in it making dinner!

My “trunk monkey” is always close when we are out in the bush. Moving to a “civilized” rural area will likely see me hunting from the house more often, but I will still wonder if my truck will be ok while I’m out on foot!

whitetailsheds
06-15-2022, 10:35 AM
Hate reading threads like this.....so sad the actions of a few with no respect for other's around them. Do you ever come through Dawson Creek JIL_24/7? I've got an extra propane lantern I'd give ya!

Astepanuk
06-15-2022, 10:47 AM
Very sad to hear I would be happy to Donate a 7MM STW that was given to my when my house burnt down if interested I'm sure everyone could band together and get you kitted for the season!

whitlers
06-15-2022, 01:53 PM
Brutal but not surprised. Seen more than a few shit rats out in the bush that way. We usually leave someone or atleast a dog in camp. Sad that you have to think about that.

I have a couple hunting knives and maybe an old hunting jacket I can send your way if interested. Hope it all works out.

wideopenthrottle
06-15-2022, 02:31 PM
i have an old dark green wool jacket that would fit a 6 foot plus 220 lb guy. It has only been worn once or twice by me but i have 3 of them so would be able to let it go (it was a gift from my neighbor who is mostly past his hunting years.) If you made it to new Westminster, I might have a metallic object i would part with too if insurance wont cover you

MOOSE MILK
06-15-2022, 07:32 PM
I was the guy who went to town for grub while my partner stayed behind to tidy up the trailer when a truck backed up to rip off our toy hauler.
That was two years ago, last year we had a truck and trailer stolen from a motel in Prince George. The trailer was recovered damaged, but the truck was never recovered.
I have a couple of Colman cook stoves you can have your choice of, the only problem is I am on the Island but if you are over here give me a shout. Got some fishing rods and reels I can pitch in too.
MM

Sitkaspruce
06-15-2022, 07:45 PM
JIL, your inbox is Full!

I am sorry to hear about what happened to your stuff!!

Lots of support on here and you have probably got lots of offers for stuff.

I have some extra cloths, including two pairs of pants (size 36) I have listed here for free, some knives, boots (size 10 or 10.5) and other odds and ends that I can give to you. I also have too many fishing rods (says my wife) that I can help with.

Keep your head up and take care!

Cheers

SS

Ron.C
06-15-2022, 08:04 PM
Really pisses me off to hear of these thefts.

That said, so good to see the HBC community rally behind one of its own.

Well done folks!!!!

HappyJack
06-15-2022, 08:13 PM
Catch a thief and you can stab the crap out of him, precedent has been set 3 years with time off for good behaviour.

Redthies
06-15-2022, 09:30 PM
I was the guy who went to town for grub while my partner stayed behind to tidy up the trailer when a truck backed up to rip off our toy hauler.
That was two years ago, last year we had a truck and trailer stolen from a motel in Prince George. The trailer was recovered damaged, but the truck was never recovered.MM

Good of you to sound off. I will remember your story for a long time. Where was that event? PG area as well? You seem to have tough luck with thieves!

Rotorwash
06-15-2022, 09:42 PM
Thats terrible to hear. What area did this happen at?
The cariboo has a huge amount of folks moving in from the coast. With that comes a certain number of scumbags. I never locked my house or vehicles my whole life , now I double check everything and have a couple cams set up . Its shitty that things are going that way.

Spy
06-15-2022, 10:55 PM
Hey if your insurance does not cover please let us know on this thread.. Provide your email and I will send an EMT your way. This kind of BS really pisses me off.

MOOSE MILK
06-16-2022, 10:13 AM
The attempted trailer rip-off was just past Vanderhoof at the truck weigh station, a well-lit large paved lot, trailer was dropped off under a light.
Only a short trip back to town to get some KFC...lucky partner stayed to tidy up!
MM

MichelD
06-16-2022, 11:59 AM
Funny how often things like this are blamed on criminals from the city, as if everyone beyond Hope is a saint.

My cousin lives in Cawston and his ex lost a bunch of stuff from a barn break in while away at work teaching.

He told me it was drug addicts from Vancouver that come up to steal shit.

Yeah right; as if drug addicts have cars and gas money and there aren't scumbags in Princeton, Penticton, Osoyoos and points in between that have the time to check out homes where they make note of when people are away at work.

RyoTHC
06-16-2022, 12:37 PM
Funny how often things like this are blamed on criminals from the city, as if everyone behond Hope is a saint.

My cousin lives in Cawston and his ex lost a bunch of stuff from a barn break in while away at work teaching.

Yeah right; as if drug addicts have cars and gas money and there aren't scumbags in Princeton, Penticton, Osoyoos and points in between that have the time to check out homes where they make note of when people are away at work.

tonnes and tonnes and tonnes of scum bags in merritt. They have a tent city going in and have daily yard sales with stolen goods.

too bad it’s frowned upon to kick them in the teeth in broad daylight, have to keep that to dark alleys

browningboy
06-16-2022, 12:40 PM
Funny how often things like this are blamed on criminals from the city, as if everyone behond Hope is a saint.

A friend of mine purchased a house in Notch Hill by Sorrento thinking it would be far away from crackheads, little beknown the autowrecker down the road houses many crack heads to steal stuff for him, he loves the view and the way of life but he says the crackheads are still around there too.

The Hermit
06-16-2022, 01:18 PM
An idea Jill - post up a list of things you need for the kids. Lots of us have serviceable gear to donate to your cause.

4 point
06-16-2022, 01:22 PM
Lots of them in Kamloops. Give some free housing, food etc. and more just show up.

We see every once in while out hunting people driving the FS roads every fall and their not hunters. They’ll stop and watch you while your have lunch say at a lake. Seeing if your going to leave anything they can just take when you head out. Unnerving for sure but a sad fact of life.

Downtown
06-16-2022, 03:59 PM
Lots of them in Kamloops. Give some free housing, food etc. and more just show up.

We see every once in while out hunting people driving the FS roads every fall and their not hunters. They’ll stop and watch you while your have lunch say at a lake. Seeing if your going to leave anything they can just take when you head out. Unnerving for sure but a sad fact of life.

If you can bribe your Grandpa to come along to watch over Camp while you are out hunting, that is about the best Insurance you can buy !

Cheers

338edgehunter
06-17-2022, 05:17 AM
We have run into this befor so when planning my hunt camps I normally plan to have 2 "moose" hunters stay with the trailer and gear while me and the rest of the boys pack up for sheep and goats

leadpillproductions
06-17-2022, 07:37 AM
Man I hate these type threads sorry about the scums. ill check threw all my gear sure I could find some stuff. Where can I send to post up your info

MRP
06-17-2022, 07:38 PM
Yes scum———— but there are those who support the scum. Pawn shops, and to good to be true prices from on line sales platforms. When you get there (in the Hood usually) it looks like a surplus store.

nelsonob1
06-17-2022, 10:03 PM
An idea Jill - post up a list of things you need for the kids. Lots of us have serviceable gear to donate to your cause.

x 2 - make up a list and we will help fill it.

srthomas75
06-18-2022, 07:25 AM
What was the nearest town where this was located? A friend of mine has a remote property in region 5. I know of some minor items that have been taken over the years but the cabin hasn't been broken into as far as I know.
I feel bad for you as that has to be the worst feeling/experience of arriving at your place to discover what happened.

abbyfireguy
06-22-2022, 08:04 PM
I stayed in camp one day 3 seasons ago as I was tagged out.. We had heard of thefts in the area. I was relaxing with a nice hot chocolate and obviously wasn’t seen by 2 guys in a truck that drove in and started walking around 3 other campsites that were occupied. They finally got to our camp and noticed me sitting chilling out. Fortunately I had our camp bear 12 gauge leaned up against the table.
They we’re pretty irritated when I told them to bugger off and then I said
I’ve got quality pictures of you and your truck’s license plate. One of the smart asses started mouthing off and walking away.
Funny how the sound of a pump shotgun getting racked gets almost anyones attention.
I never threatened them or said anything to that effect.
I passed the info and pictures to the CO who showed up next and we heard later in the week these same guys got caught with stolen
booze and camping gear from a few local,hunting camps.
I really hate thieves and have been ripped off too many times .
Pretty sad that you still have to worry about theft 200 km out in the wilderness!

mod7rem
06-22-2022, 10:56 PM
I put thieves on the same level in society as sexual predators. Thieves also come from all walks of life to. I’ve heard of hikers having their backpacking tents stolen from Berg lake campsite on mount Robson trail. Some people can’t help themselves when the chances of getting caught are slim.

mod7rem
06-22-2022, 11:12 PM
I was ripped off camping at a lake with my wife a 3 little kids one year. We had a small motor home with utility trailer, 12’ alum boat, etc. there was a group of people out for the day using the beach area and we were camped for a few nights. Those people were friendly, regular people out enjoying the day. We said hi as we passed throughout the day. Then when it started getting dark we were in our unit putting the kids to bed making noise and not paying attention, and the people in the day area were packing up. Then my son said “dad someone is outside”. He was little and I told him to lay down and go to sleep and thought he meant the vehicles that were leaving. A little while later I got curious and went outside and realized all our Gerry cans were gone and I can’t remember what else. But those people out enjoying the day, saw that we were distracted so a couple of them walked through our camp while the vehicles slowly idled through the camp and they just grabbed whatever wasn’t bolted down and quietly left.
Opportunistic scum bags come in all shapes, sizes, ages, colors and demographics. Like a f*ckin disease.

srupp
06-22-2022, 11:26 PM
hmmm just finished a 18 day solo bear trip..day 5 knock on TT door..young lady white button blouse buttoned waaaay down..no bra guy with her said their cooler got stolen by black bear they were out here ' WORKING'..gave them some food..seen her a few days later walking..never saw a vehicle never saw a camp
hmm
grow op ?
waiting extra week till tree planting gig started
scoping out TT for theft..
steven

358mag
06-23-2022, 09:44 AM
hmmm just finished a 18 day solo bear trip..day 5 knock on TT door..young lady white button blouse buttoned waaaay down..no bra guy with her said their cooler got stolen by black bear they were out here ' WORKING'..gave them some food..seen her a few days later walking..never saw a vehicle never saw a camp
hmm
grow op ?
waiting extra week till tree planting gig started
scoping out TT for theft..
steven

Humm one never knows , be careful watch your back .

abbyfireguy
06-24-2022, 09:40 AM
I forgot a funny rip off that happened years ago on a solo moose hunt.
Got 4 cans of diesel taken… Saw an RCMP officer cruising around with the local CO in his truck.
I explained what happened. Said my cans were labeled with my last name.
he gave me my last name and they both started to laugh.
He then said follow us,we will have your cans back in a few minutes.
10 mins later we pull in behind a First Nation gentleman with a Chevy 1/2 ton gasser 4x4.
In the back of his truck we’re my 4 nicely labeled fuel cans empty of course.
He couldnt get his truck to run,the cop said most likely because you have this nice fellow’s diesel fuel in your gas engined truck.
I took my fuel jugs back,thanked the cop and left the idiot there to wait for a tow truck coming 100 km from Vanderhoof..
At least I got to chuckle a bit over that theft.
Fortunatly I had 4 more full fuel jugs concealed in the trees they didn’t see back at camp.

wildcatter
06-24-2022, 10:03 AM
I forgot a funny rip off that happened years ago on a solo moose hunt.
Got 4 cans of diesel taken… Saw an RCMP officer cruising around with the local CO in his truck.
I explained what happened. Said my cans were labeled with my last name.
he gave me my last name and they both started to laugh.
He then said follow us,we will have your cans back in a few minutes.
10 mins later we pull in behind a First Nation gentleman with a Chevy 1/2 ton gasser 4x4.
In the back of his truck we’re my 4 nicely labeled fuel cans empty of course.
He couldnt get his truck to run,the cop said most likely because you have this nice fellow’s diesel fuel in your gas engined truck.
I took my fuel jugs back,thanked the cop and left the idiot there to wait for a tow truck coming 100 km from Vanderhoof..
At least I got to chuckle a bit over that theft.
Fortunatly I had 4 more full fuel jugs concealed in the trees they didn’t see back at camp.

You call that a gentleman?

RyoTHC
06-24-2022, 11:09 AM
There seems to be a trend of who is stealing everything and what happens to them when caught (nothing)

HMMMMMM

Number one reason to keep crown land in the tax payers hand… if someone else were to “own it” you’d have a mad max style scenario pretty quickly.

REMINGTON JIM
06-25-2022, 06:11 AM
Very Sorry to hear of your Losse's - The SHIT rats are everywhere now a days and our JUSTICE - LEGAL system is broken and NOT a deterrent those parisites ! :twisted: jmo RJ

Vortex hunter
10-27-2022, 12:53 PM
Nothing worse the a RAT is a thief .. sorry to hear about your troubles the law does shit if the ever find them. best give them thief's a good BEATING and make them drink from a straw cant stand thief's..vortex

HappyJack
10-28-2022, 09:47 AM
I stayed in camp one day 3 seasons ago as I was tagged out.. We had heard of thefts in the area. I was relaxing with a nice hot chocolate and obviously wasn’t seen by 2 guys in a truck that drove in and started walking around 3 other campsites that were occupied. They finally got to our camp and noticed me sitting chilling out. Fortunately I had our camp bear 12 gauge leaned up against the table.
They we’re pretty irritated when I told them to bugger off and then I said
I’ve got quality pictures of you and your truck’s license plate. One of the smart asses started mouthing off and walking away.
Funny how the sound of a pump shotgun getting racked gets almost anyones attention.
I never threatened them or said anything to that effect.
I passed the info and pictures to the CO who showed up next and we heard later in the week these same guys got caught with stolen
booze and camping gear from a few local,hunting camps.
I really hate thieves and have been ripped off too many times .
Pretty sad that you still have to worry about theft 200 km out in the wilderness!

7-21? We had two fellows show up and start going around our camp with ice cream pails, picking berries apparently, at least that was the story. We were having a nap in the camper when they showed up. They left in short order when we came outside, and funny thing is they didn't pick a single blue berry either.

high horse Hal
10-28-2022, 11:20 AM
https://www.castanet.net/news/Vernon/390363/RCMP-say-tent-kayak-and-more-stolen-in-Monashee-Provincial-Park

The theft reportedly occurred Sunday, Oct. 2, about 10:30 p.m. at the Greenbush Lake recreation site in Monashee Provincial Park.

Items stolen include a tent, firepit, tarps, clothing, and an ocean touring kayak.
Witnesses reported seeing a large, black, diesel truck in the area at the time, which may be involved in the theft, police say.
The vehicle was described as having a rooftop tent and a light bar across the windshield.
The occupants of the truck, who were fishing in the area, had a Chihuahua dog with them and are believed to be from the Kelowna or West Kelowna area.

ekul246
10-28-2022, 12:43 PM
On our October 1-15 moose hunt, we had a couple guys and a girl drive in to our camp in a white pickup and stopped.One member of our group happened to be in the wall tent at the time and peeked through the door and saw that it wasn’t us. He came out holding his rifle and asked what they wanted. They started driving through the rest of the camp and left. Never did see them again. And I hadn’t turned on the trailcam that I set up as security. Would have been nice to get a license plate.

valleywalker
10-28-2022, 04:44 PM
Funny how often things like this are blamed on criminals from the city, as if everyone beyond Hope is a saint.

it’s pretty easy for a shitrat to steal a car in the middle of the night, siphon a couple cans of gas along the way and be 3-4 hours away in a small town where nobody locks their doors before anyone even realizes their car was stolen in the first place. I’ve worked and lived in small town middle of nowhere shitholes my entire life and see and hear about it happening all the time.
We had some meth heads move into the moldy doublewide trailer we were renting for work a couple years ago. we Stopped on Friday evening to drop our work trailer off at the end of a shift, came back Monday morning to find the door jimmied and one guy still sleeping in there (he jumped out the window and ran before anyone could grab him), trailer was trashed, They had eaten every scrap of food we left, drank any beer in the fridge, stolen the TV, telephone (landline), pots and pans, work equipment and anything else that wasn’t bolted down.

filed a police report and of course the lazy cop didn’t do shit, just said “yeah we get a lot of people driving over the monashees from Vernon doing this stuff all the time, not much we can do about it”

tyreguy
10-28-2022, 07:28 PM
Your giving the crackheads way too much credit, they will steal from you in their backyard before they’ll steal a car, siphon gas and drive 8 hrs return.
the trash of society is everywhere.

it’s pretty easy for a shitrat to steal a car in the middle of the night, siphon a couple cans of gas along the way and be 3-4 hours away in a small town where nobody locks their doors before anyone even realizes their car was stolen in the first place. I’ve worked and lived in small town middle of nowhere shitholes my entire life and see and hear about it happening all the time.
We had some meth heads move into the moldy doublewide trailer we were renting for work a couple years ago. we Stopped on Friday evening to drop our work trailer off at the end of a shift, came back Monday morning to find the door jimmied and one guy still sleeping in there (he jumped out the window and ran before anyone could grab him), trailer was trashed, They had eaten every scrap of food we left, drank any beer in the fridge, stolen the TV, telephone (landline), pots and pans, work equipment and anything else that wasn’t bolted down.

filed a police report and of course the lazy cop didn’t do shit, just said “yeah we get a lot of people driving over the monashees from Vernon doing this stuff all the time, not much we can do about it”

MBHunter
10-29-2022, 01:14 AM
Hey guys if you want to inventory your stuff so if something happens you can file a police report or a claim
Our software is free to individuals. Encircle app on the app stores.

https://www.getencircle.com/home-inventory-app

Vortex hunter
10-29-2022, 01:29 PM
Don't have to be crack heads/junkies that will steal.... Normal folk do as well there all trash and should get a beating they won't forget , COPS don't do f#ck all about anything

cuervosail
10-30-2022, 09:52 AM
Your giving the crackheads way too much credit, they will steal from you in their backyard before they’ll steal a car, siphon gas and drive 8 hrs return.
the trash of society is everywhere.

I must have missed the email - I thought this was a hunting site.

tyreguy
10-30-2022, 12:47 PM
I thought so too, not much hunting content contributed nowadays. Do you have something hunting related you’d like to contribute?
I must have missed the email - I thought this was a hunting site.