PDA

View Full Version : Frustrated B.C. chiefs unload on cabinet ministers over fate of salmon

IronNoggin
06-09-2022, 12:02 PM
Frustrated B.C. chiefs unload on cabinet ministers over fate of salmon

Chief Arnie Lampreau of the Shackan First Nation talked about spending money for the first time last year — $750,000 — to buy fish for eight Shackan communities, when he could recall being able to fish for ample salmon at their doorsteps decades ago.

Lampreau said he could recall having the same conversations about the need to protect wild salmon when he sat on fisheries committees in the early 2000s, and “the only thing that has changed is that we have less fish in our rivers.”

“I see that we need to take these guys to court,” Lampreau said. “Let’s not sit around waiting here before it’s too late. If I’ve got to pay $750,000 a year to buy fish for my people, I’m going to spend that much money in court when our families can no longer go down to the river and fish freely to exercise their rights.”

https://vancouversun.com/news/local-news/frustrated-bc-chiefs-unload-cabinet-ministers-over-fate-of-salmon

madcalfe
06-09-2022, 12:14 PM
lol maybe they should stop stringing out nets and pulling them out by the truck load.

Harvest the Land
06-09-2022, 12:28 PM
Does chief Annie seriously believe that it's not already too late for any meaningful recovery of most of the wild salmon stocks in BC?

What do you suppose he means when he refers to protecting salmon? Does he mean protecting them even further from crackers getting an opportunity to fish for them?

What exactly does he expect the government to do - waive a magic wand and make it rain salmon all of a sudden?

The reality is the glory days of salmon and steelhead fisheries in this province are long gone and never coming back. The time to sue the government for their gross negligence and ineptitude and mismanagement of our fisheries was 20+ years ago before DFO truly ran stocks into the ground. That ship has sailed

tigrr
06-09-2022, 03:12 PM
Some one should tell him about the seals and walruses eating them by the truckload at the mouth of the rivers.
Some one should also tell him about the salmon farms spreading disease and sea lice so heavy the smolts never make it out to sea.

tigrr
06-09-2022, 03:17 PM
Ample salmon at their doorstep? In Merrit BC?

Citori54
06-09-2022, 04:30 PM
lol maybe they should stop stringing out nets and pulling them out by the truck load.

My thoughts exactly, or maybe they shouldn't have commercial sized boats with nets on lakes in the interior.

REMINGTON JIM
06-09-2022, 06:31 PM
Chief Arnie Lampreau of the Shackan First Nation talked about spending money for the first time last year — $750,000 — to buy fish for eight Shackan communities, when he could recall being able to fish for ample salmon at their doorsteps decades ago.

Where did the $750000.00 come from ? :tongue: RJ

REMINGTON JIM
06-09-2022, 06:35 PM
Some one should tell him about the seals and walruses eating them by the truckload at the mouth of the rivers.
Some one should also tell him about the salmon farms spreading disease and sea lice so heavy the smolts never make it out to sea.

tigrr - Those are BOTH great points - Seals and Sea Lions EAT a HUGH amount of salmon - and for what purpose are they protected ?? so Much ?? There are WAY to many seals and walruses on the BC coast alone - WORST then wolves they are ! We need to KILL off a Bunch of them ! jmo RJ

Salmon Farms NEED to GO AWAY ! jmo RJ

scoutlt1
06-09-2022, 07:52 PM

The $750k came from my pocket, your pocket, etc etc......

Husky7mm
06-09-2022, 08:07 PM

Came from you man, don’t worry, dont question…….trust the science, they are following sound science.

TeeVee
06-09-2022, 08:08 PM
Yep and why does he have to buy the fish for the others???

high horse Hal
06-09-2022, 09:01 PM
Where did the $750000.00 come from ? :tongue: RJeasy answer
not so easy is 'where did it get spent?'

Treed
06-09-2022, 10:08 PM
According to government census data there are 136 that belong to the Shackan Tribe. For $750,000, at $20/fish (typical going rate for road side salmon), you could buy around 276 fish per person. That’s a lot of fish…. Oh well, it’ll be good for the moose population.

REMINGTON JIM
06-09-2022, 10:28 PM

Oh Yea I’m well aware of that. :mad: RJ

ElectricDyck
06-10-2022, 07:13 AM
According to government census data there are 136 that belong to the Shackan Tribe. For $750,000, at $20/fish (typical going rate for road side salmon), you could buy around 276 fish per person. That’s a lot of fish…. Oh well, it’ll be good for the moose population.

Thats crazy, sounds like hype for the media, seems like whoever can capture the media these days wins in the court of public opinion, facts or not..

IronNoggin
06-10-2022, 12:23 PM

No walruses in BC.
However between the seals & sea lions, damn near 50 % of every single year's production of Fraser Chinook & Coho smolts are devoured before they make the open ocean. Then they get hit hard again on their way back to the river.

Entirely unsustainable.

Nog

IronNoggin
06-13-2022, 11:35 AM
Just going to leave this here:

https://www-ops2.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fraserriver/firstnations/PDFs/CeremonialOpeningTimes_Previous.pdf

Harvest the Land
06-13-2022, 12:32 PM
Just going to leave this here:

https://www-ops2.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fraserriver/firstnations/PDFs/CeremonialOpeningTimes_Previous.pdf

Of course it will be poetic justice if these supposed exceptional and vastly superior stewards of the land/water/nat resources, are the ones responsible for harvesting the very last Fraser salmon/steelhead, all the while complaining that the gov't isn't doing enough and they continue to pillage fraser river stocks year round

tinhorse
06-13-2022, 01:14 PM
At least the river level here in Alberni is flowing strong and temps are low. There are more fish that have made it up the river this year than the past 10 for this time in June. Hopefully the same will be in the Fraser and other rivers. If higher water levels sustain, it is much harder to net and hopefully more fish make it up.

Husky7mm
06-13-2022, 01:19 PM
No walruses in BC.
However between the seals & sea lions, damn near 50 % of every single year's production of Fraser Chinook & Coho smolts are devoured before they make the open ocean. Then they get hit hard again on their way back to the river.

Entirely unsustainable.

Nog

What about sea otters, would they target smolts too?

Husky7mm
06-13-2022, 01:32 PM
Of course it will be poetic justice if these supposed exceptional and vastly superior stewards of the land/water/nat resources, are the ones responsible for harvesting the very last Fraser salmon/steelhead, all the while complaining that the gov't isn't doing enough and they continue to pillage fraser river stocks year round

I would still hazard a guess that the “trusted science” has been the biggest driver in low salmon and steelhead…… no predator management.

Even that scam artist David Suzuki wrote an article once about sea otter “management” , in it he stated that everything that sea otters ate was thriving when sea otters were hot in the fur market.

Harvest the Land
06-13-2022, 01:52 PM
I would still hazard a guess that the “trusted science” has been the biggest driver in low salmon and steelhead…… no predator management.

Even that scam artist David Suzuki wrote an article once about sea otter “management” , in it he stated that everything that sea otters ate was thriving when sea otters were hot in the fur market.

You bet - the number of harbor seals in the lower fraser is insane. I've had them come right up to shore trying to steal my catch, and spook the whole school up river. But its also Cormorants, Blue Heron, sturgeon etc. devouring the fry. Its also heavily toxic - if you walk along the shoreline when the tide is out you can see a bunch of oil slicks in the clay; garbage all over the place. Inadequate filtration from sewer/agricultural/industrial run/off pollution. Destruction of habitat - too much sediment/runoff in the water near new developments. Low very warm water river/tributary levels, etc etc etc.

There's a ton of factors contributing to the fraser salmon/steelhead decline. But I have a hard time reconciling FN's complaining about the poor state of our salmon stocks while continuing to fish for these same decimated fish stocks year round. Pot meet kettle

REMINGTON JIM
06-19-2022, 11:50 AM
easy answer
not so easy is 'where did it get spent?'

Yea for SURE ! :cry: RJ

IronNoggin
06-19-2022, 12:06 PM
On Threatened Runs...

rageous
06-19-2022, 04:43 PM
^Wow

Im not permitted to bar fish for salmon on the Fraser because I’m the problem right?…

IronNoggin
06-22-2022, 11:33 AM
More openings on endangered Chinook.
The set nets will be cleaning up at various choke points as we are now in the peak of the early run.

https://www-ops2.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fraserriver/firstnations/PDFs/CeremonialOpeningTimes_Previous.pdf (https://www-ops2.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fraserriver/firstnations/PDFs/CeremonialOpeningTimes_Previous.pdf)

REMINGTON JIM
06-22-2022, 12:45 PM
^Wow

Im not permitted to bar fish for salmon on the Fraser because I’m the problem right?…

ONLY the problem if your a ndper or libber - of which i doubt your are ! :-P RJ

Bugle M In
06-22-2022, 07:33 PM
Yup, I fully understand the frustration.
Hay Bails comes to mind