PDA

View Full Version : Personal Outdoor Library

acal57
06-08-2022, 03:50 PM
I'm amassing a pretty impressive collection of hunting and fishing books. So much so that I've had to reorganize them and buy a new bookcase.

Just got me thinking about all the great reads that I haven't heard of. I love it all, "how tos", tales for the campfire, technical ecology texts. Always looking for new book ideas and sources.

What's your favourite hunting (or steelheading?) literature?

caddisguy
06-08-2022, 06:17 PM
Good thread.

The Gilly: A flyfishers guide

Blacktail Trophy Tactics

This thread has quite a few recommendations: http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showthread.php?166648-Book-recommendations-for-cabins&highlight=hunting+books

dana
06-08-2022, 07:11 PM
My wife found a list of the top outdoor adventure books to read in 2022 and suggested I give them a try. Never would have believed how addicting these books are. I picked some off that list and have found others on other lists. I’ve read 9 books in just the last two months. I would recommend everyone I have read thus far. Amazing tales of survival and endurance.

Endurance by Alfred Lansing.

The Worst Journey in The World by Ansley Cherry-Garrard.

The Lost City of Z by David Grann

Kon Tiki by Thor Heyerdahl

Into Thin Air by Jon Krakauer

Skeletons On The Zahara by Dean King

Epic Wanderer by D’Arcy Jenish

Touching The Void by Joe Simpson

Endure by Cameron Hanes

Squamch
06-08-2022, 07:36 PM
Anything by Capstick.
Roosevelt's African game trails is good too.

Harvest the Land
06-08-2022, 07:46 PM
Mastering Mule Deer by Wayne Van Zwoll

Color Guide to Steelhead Drift Fishing by Bill Herzog

adriaticum
06-08-2022, 08:20 PM
What fish see

MB_Boy
06-09-2022, 10:27 AM
My wife found a list of the top outdoor adventure books to read in 2022 and suggested I give them a try. Never would have believed how addicting these books are. I picked some off that list and have found others on other lists. I’ve read 9 books in just the last two months. I would recommend everyone I have read thus far. Amazing tales of survival and endurance.

Endurance by Alfred Lansing.

The Worst Journey in The World by Ansley Cherry-Garrard.

The Lost City of Z by David Grann

Kon Tiki by Thor Heyerdahl

Into Thin Air by Jon Krakauer

Skeletons On The Zahara by Dean King

Epic Wanderer by D’Arcy Jenish

Touching The Void by Joe Simpson

Endure by Cameron Hanes

Dana....if you liked Into Thin Air then read The Climb which was written by the guide in Krakauer's book, a different take on that day by the late Anatoli Boukreev.

Redthies
06-10-2022, 12:53 AM
The Gilly: A flyfishers guide

Good old Alf Davies! He was one of my high school teachers back in the 80s. Unfortunately I’ll never get the visual of him scratching his ass on the class closet doorknob out of my head.��. Grim habits aside, the guy could catch fish!

dana
06-10-2022, 05:54 AM
Dana....if you liked Into Thin Air then read The Climb which was written by the guide in Krakauer's book, a different take on that day by the late Anatoli Boukreev.

Thanks, I’ll check it out.

Greenthumbed
06-10-2022, 09:20 PM
I’ve read both and both are very good reads.
I must say though, “Touching the Void” by Joe Simpson is one of the best books I’ve ever read. I’ve recommended that book many times.
Another great nonfiction adventure story is “Dangerous River” by RM Patterson

Squamch
06-11-2022, 06:03 AM
I’ve read both and both are very good reads.
I must say though, “Touching the Void” by Joe Simpson is one of the best books I’ve ever read. I’ve recommended that book many times.
Another great nonfiction adventure story is “Dangerous River” by RM Patterson

Oh yeah that was a good one!

I've been on a historical BC kick for quite awhile. 9 lives of a cowboy, legend of pan Phillips, 3 against the wilderness...

Fallkniven
06-11-2022, 09:20 PM
'Maneaters of Kumaon' by Col Jim Corbett and, same author 'The man eating Leopard of Rudraprayag'.

Also..
'Hunter climb High' Keith Severinsen
'Sport ans Life in British Columbia' Charles P Piers (old one, might be hard to get!)