PDA

View Full Version : Video Camera help

Elk-Aholic
11-22-2007, 09:51 PM
Looking at buying a video camera and a really good one at that. What do you guys have? What do you like and hate about it? If you were to buy a new one, which one would it be and why. And any advise would be good. Camera will be used mostly for hunting/fishing obviously. Thanks.

Stone Sheep Steve
11-23-2007, 11:18 AM
I've got a used JVC that can double as a maraca after taking a header off a cliff. Try to get a bomb proof one:-(..........but not sure if they make an impact resistant video cam like they do with digital stills.

SSS

Jagermeister
11-23-2007, 12:33 PM
I suppose it depends on what you have in mind, straight video or stills too. If it's action shots like the ones that Rock Doctor takes (he uses a Samsung SC X210L, no longer available), the you would want the Samsung SCX300L. These are not necessarily the best, but are affordable.
http://www.samsung.com/ca/products/camcorder/digitalmemory/sc_x300lxac.asp?page=Specifications

You could also use this camera:Sony Cyber-Shot 8.1MP Digital Camera (DSC-H9) (http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/proddetail.asp?sku_id=0665000FS10087671&catid=11719&logon=&langid=EN)

This one takes stills and video. Bear in mind that you will need extra memory for either camera. For the Sony, I recommend 4GB minimum. Another plus for the Sony is the Carl Zeiss lense. The video from this camera is pretty good and the stills are great.

Rock Doctor would be able to give a better dissertation of the Samsung, but if you check the videos that he posted on this site, you get a better idea of the operation of his cam. Like hands off, that's a bonus.

Hope this helps a bit.

Bigbuckadams
11-23-2007, 05:29 PM
Hi, I have a Sony DCR-SR42 and I'm quite happy with it. 40X optical zoom, 30GB hard drive. Seen them on sale between $480-$550. I have some sample videos on my facebook account if you care to view. I can't seem to get them on here from facebook. Darren Adams from Kelowna. Profile pic has me holding a Spring salmon. Just scroll down to view the videos. A couple w/mulies, some whiteys & turkeys as well. A bit shaky on some, still learning to use the camera.
BBA

Elk-Aholic
11-23-2007, 05:52 PM
Hi, I have a Sony DCR-SR42 and I'm quite happy with it. 40X optical zoom, 30GB hard drive. Seen them on sale between $480-$550. I have some sample videos on my facebook account if you care to view. I can't seem to get them on here from facebook. Darren Adams from Kelowna. Profile pic has me holding a Spring salmon. Just scroll down to view the videos. A couple w/mulies, some whiteys & turkeys as well. A bit shaky on some, still learning to use the camera.
BBA

Thanks BBA, will do. Camera will mainly be used for video footage, not stills as I have a really good digital camera already.

Bigbuckadams
11-23-2007, 06:20 PM
No problem, let me know what you think. Zoom works very well, still learning, lost the instruction booklet...lol
BBA

boxhitch
11-23-2007, 08:12 PM
. Seen them on sale between $480-$550. BBAThats a great price. Currently at Staples for 649.

Allen50
11-23-2007, 10:39 PM
well here we go again, everone ahs a faver cam, and as alwese, what can you aford, the more money the better the cam, you know you can play with them in the stor and you also can find reports on the goggle site, by checking out cam's on line, its all there for you to check out, all most like buying a quad, which is better, well what can you aford,, is the bottom line, check them out and go for what you like,,, good luck and hope we see some cam pic, soon,, happy hunting,,,,,

Rock Doctor
11-24-2007, 12:37 AM
Rock Doctor would be able to give a better dissertation of the Samsung, but if you check the videos that he posted on this site, you get a better idea of the operation of his cam. Like hands off, that's a bonus.

I kinda avoided this post after I read that you were looking for a "really good camera", but if you are interested..........
The Samsung is a great toy, cheap, easy, doesn't mind getting a little dirty.........hmmmm, that almost sounds like an ex girlfriend of mine:shock:...........uh, anyway:
One button operation, it really is that easy, example:
Not long ago we were in Banff, and the place we stated at had a huge climbing area/plaything for the kids. I put the headcam on my 4yr old and turned her loose in there. She got some fantastic video of herself, sister, and other kids having a real blast. All I had to do was watch and enjoy myself.

The only "extra's I would recomend getting would be a couple 2 GB memory cards and a couple extra "high Capacity Batteries. That will give you 5 hrs of vid, on the best quality setting.
It records at Mpeg4 quality, which is, I think, what a regular TV show is broadcast as (I could be wrong about that).
It does NOT like low light situations, at all, PERIOD.

RD

tuchodi
11-24-2007, 10:32 AM
I have had 2 Canons over the last 10 years and they have been real good. I like them better than the Sony for using the viewfinder in outdoor aplications. I have some friends that have the Sony's and the colored screen is real hard to see so you have to use the Eye piece. Look at www.camcorderinfo.com (http://www.camcorderinfo.com) this is a real good informational site