PDA

View Full Version : Prophet river 7-42 moose and elk?

Atlas12
05-31-2022, 09:48 PM
Getting close to pulling the trigger on a 4 person 10 day Sept 1-Sept 10 moose/elk hunt in 7-42 with Prophet River Outfitters (Formerly AA Packers)

None of us have any experience hunting up north, but quite a lot in the southern interior, so this seems like a very low-risk way to get our feet wet.
The camp looks like the Ritz compared to tenting, and having shelter and food provided takes a lot of the worry out of it.

Anyone have any advice or thoughts on the area and outfitter?
How are the elk and big moose populations in the area?

Looking forward to the replies!

swampthing
06-01-2022, 07:01 AM
I researched this outfit quite a bit and almost booked but did a different trip. It appears to be a great place to hang out! Moose are probably draw only though with the new changes. The moose has certainly declined in the area from the "old days" but can be found. Half decent elk population and I believe there is a 3 point season there.

high horse Hal
06-01-2022, 10:19 AM
best way to guarantee a moose tag is to pay an outfitter for one of his
Thats a great area for moose and elk, can't speak of the g/o though, never met them

Hope you don't get much time in the cabin though, got to go out after them

tinhorse
06-01-2022, 12:16 PM
Hunted it many years ago and yes there were good moose and elk numbers back in 2006. Hard to access and I saw in the LEH that 42 or at least part of 42 doesnt have LEH and should have an open season...when is another question until the regs come out at the end of June.

Atlas12
06-01-2022, 02:13 PM
The Gov site says that the synopsis online is updated.
It currently shows a GOS moose in 7-42 for any size bull from Aug 23-31, but the press release from May 19 says all licensed moose hunting is now spike, tri palm or 10 pt.
Have the regs been updated since this announcement?

HappyJack
06-01-2022, 03:00 PM
It currently shows a GOS moose in 7-42 for any size bull from Aug 23-31, but the press release from May 19 says all licensed moose hunting is now spike, tri palm or 10 pt.

Not likely that they are updated on time, that isn't how this govt works.

walks with deer
06-01-2022, 09:34 PM
Not likely that they are updated on time, that isn't how this govt works.

I will bet theres many people im that group in disagreance wonder why its all dragged out?

tinhorse
06-01-2022, 09:54 PM
The 2020-2022 Hunting & Trapping Regulations Synopsis is effective from July 1, 2020 to June 30, 2022.

Where are you finding an updated version??

Atlas12
06-02-2022, 07:56 AM
The 2020-2022 Hunting & Trapping Regulations Synopsis is effective from July 1, 2020 to June 30, 2022.

Where are you finding an updated version??

It says" Corrections and updates: Changes to regulations in 2020/21 or 2021/22 are updated in the online version of the synopsis and specific details are listed on the Hunting and Trapping Regulation Synopsis Corrections and Updates (https://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/sports-culture/recreation/fishing-hunting/hunting/regulations-synopsis/regulation-synopsis-corrections-and-updates) page."

So it SHOULD have been updated, but since its not listed in the corrections I assume it hasn't been done.

Bah. The WHOLE point of the online regs was so they could update them and not worry about out of date regs floating around.
Sorry for the false hope folks.

HappyJack
06-02-2022, 08:59 AM
I will bet theres many people im that group in disagreance wonder why its all dragged out?

It's being dragged out because they are still have meetings with FNs to figure out how bad they are going to screw resident hunter of course.

Ltbullken
06-02-2022, 09:54 AM

Have a read. Likely LEH only for moose. Decent opportunity at elk in there though.

https://www.100milefreepress.net/news/regulation-changes-drastically-impact-moose-hunting-in-b-c-s-northeast-2/

rageous
06-02-2022, 09:58 AM
How would you all feel “if” they completely closed 7b season for all species for the month of Aug and first 2 weeks of Oct?

Atlas12
06-02-2022, 12:12 PM
Have a read. Likely LEH only for moose. Decent opportunity at elk in there though.

https://www.100milefreepress.net/news/regulation-changes-drastically-impact-moose-hunting-in-b-c-s-northeast-2/

The press release from May 19 calls 7-42 a remote region, and seems like it will have a GOS for spike/tri/10pt this year.

1. Management Units 7-36, 7-42, 7-43, 7-50 to 7-54, and 7-57 (Liard and NortheastRockies zones - Remote Management Units): General Open Season from September 1 to September 30 an

How badly they screw us next year remains to be seen.

eatram
06-03-2022, 03:00 PM
How would you all feel “if” they completely closed 7b season for all species for the month of Aug and first 2 weeks of Oct?

See this kind of idea I have seen wreck an area. When you bottleneck all traffic to a small sliver of time, there is absolutely ZERO places for the game to escape to. I have hunted some mule deer wintering grounds all of my life. It was traditionally open for 4 point all of November. This would spread out the pressure and the animals had places to escape to as well as the ability to breed. Now that it is closed for a 10 day section, there are far too many people there for the few weekends that are open. The game has almost ZERO chance to escape. If this happened to a sheep area, there will be zero breeding stock left come november....