PDA

View Full Version : Compulsory Inspection

jamfarm
05-29-2022, 01:35 PM
If I bring an elk in to get an inspection done could I then butcher that animal in camp? In looking at the regs it seems that it would be ok.

HarryToolips
05-29-2022, 02:54 PM
I literally only brought the head in when I got the inspection done on mine last year.

browningboy
05-29-2022, 03:39 PM
Need the incisor tooth, rack and and chunk of skin with hair on it.. that’s all they asked me

high horse Hal
05-29-2022, 08:58 PM
need to have proof of sex while transporting

hard enough to do with a used rubber let alone a cut-n-wrap

madcalfe
05-30-2022, 11:29 AM
since when do you have to bring in a elk to get CI'd?

Ron.C
05-30-2022, 11:56 AM

Look on page 21 of the synopsis, shows the required MU's.

I also had to have the rosie bull in my avatar CI'd, pretty sure the the reg 1 elk leh's have required CI for a while

jamfarm
05-30-2022, 10:56 PM

You don't (well maybe in some situations as Ron mentioned). The reason to bring it in to get CI'd is so I can butcher in camp.

need to have proof of sex while transporting

hard enough to do with a used rubber let alone a cut-n-wrap

True, except there's a provision in the reg's showing that the proof of sex can be removed once the animal is CI'd.

I think I'm going to reach out to the CO on this one.

ruger416
05-30-2022, 11:30 PM
This is what the hunting reg's say. You can not cut up your animal at at camp. It can only be processed at your residence or at a meat cutter. The bill you receive from the meat cutter will have all of the info needed for your trip home. It must be a real meat cutter which will meet all of the standards put out by the Gov't.

Removing Evidence of Sex & SpeciesEvidence of species and sex may be removedfrom the carcass or the hide of game:4after it arrives at a person’s normaldwelling place and is butchered and storedthere for consumption on the premises,4after it is taken to a meat cutter or theowner or operator of a cold storage plant,or4after it has been inspected by a qualifiedCompulsory Inspector.
From what I have been told the Inspector will be the owner of the meat processing plant.

jamfarm
05-31-2022, 06:03 PM
Can someone chime in that has gotten a CI done? Do you get some sort of official document that the animal has been inspected? Does the CO or inspector put the info into a database that other CO's can access?

I posted the question to the CO service, I'll let you know what I find out, it'll be a few days for them to respond...

Ron.C
05-31-2022, 06:20 PM
Can someone chime in that has gotten a CI done? Do you get some sort of official document that the animal has been inspected? Does the CO or inspector put the info into a database that other CO's can access?

I posted the question to the CO service, I'll let you know what I find out, it'll be a few days for them to respond...

Iv'e had a goat and elk CI'd. In both cases I was given a small tag from the CI that noted the animal, date, my tag, hunter# and LEH Auth #. I beleive his file number. I'm sure the CO service eventually has access to this data but can't see it being an immediate thing.

dracb
05-31-2022, 09:44 PM
The compulsory inspector will give you a signed copy of the C.I. Data Sheet as proof of inspection assuming the animal presented and the harvest is compliant with published regulations in all respects. In the event the inspection is determined to be non-compliant in some respect, you will not receive proof of inspection.

jamfarm
06-01-2022, 09:40 PM
I received a response from the CO service, this was their answer to the question that I posed:

I have a question about removing evidence of sex & species.

If I brought an elk (or any other species of animal) in to have an inspection done by a Compulsory Inspector, after it has been inspected could I then butcher the animal in camp (not at my place of residence)?

I have attached a copy of the section from the hunting synopsis that speaks to your question. Please see the 3rd bullet under “Removing Evidence of Sex & Species”. So, the short answer is yes. I would also add that if a person choses to do this, they would still need to provide a copy of the CI information as well as any species licenses and documentation that might be associated such as limited entry requirements. I hope this answers your question.

This is the answer that I was looking for and it makes perfect sense to me.