PDA

View Full Version : Problem bear in camp last night.

Bustercluck
05-28-2022, 08:13 PM
I was out with my two boys (7 and 13) at a backcountry quad accessible spot about 25 km from my truck. We set up camp and toured around a bit until later in the night. We had dinner around 8pm and played a few games around the fire. I sent my little guy to bed at 10:55 while me and the oldest stayed up for a bit more to let my youngest get to sleep. I was enjoying a sambuca and we were chatting across from each other when he looks at me and calmly says “dad, bear”

I look behind me and there’s a black bear inside 30 yards from me and it’s just twilight where I can see his outline but nothing else. I stood up, faced the bear, kicked some dirt at him and started yelling to try and scare him off. It didn’t phase him, so I told the kid to grab my 10/22 and ammo out of the tent and I already had a loaded mag in my pocket. I fired a couple rounds in the air to scare him off, but no response from him so I fired a few more really close to his head to his left and above him. This got him moving a bit and he ran off into the trees.

Now I looked at my kid and started discussing our options as town is 3 hours away and I wasn’t really rattled, I figured the bear was gone for the night. We talked about grabbing a bit of our gear and driving up the road 5-6 km and sleeping there and then I turned my head and caught the bears eyes light up in my headlamp about 75 yards out. I fired 4-5 more shots close to him again with no response so I emptied the mag again to get him moving.

A few more minutes go by and here a weird noise on the other side of our camp. It sounded similar to a fuel drum expanding and making a dong sound. The first time I heard it didn’t concern me because I hear all kinds of weird noises in the woods that are unexplainable, but after the third one I realized he was in my tub trailer pulling out the full can of gas that was in there. I grabbed a pocket full of .22 shells and moved towards my tub trailer u til I saw eyes again and fired off a bunch more shells.

By this time I realize it’s time to grab the kids and go so I gave the rifle to my oldest and told him to keep turning his head looking for eyes and shoot anything that comes close. I grabbed the littlest one out of the tent, started both quads and pointed the lights opposite each other. I made one more trip to my tent, loaded up my most valuable belongings in my pack sack, through our food tote and cooler on my quad rack and we were outta there.

Something I’m unsure of is the smell that engulfed us just before we left. It was definitely stinky garbage bear smell, but I couldn’t smell it earlier so I’m wondering if he had circled around us again and was very close or it just took a bit of time to make it our way.

This is what my tent looked like today when I went to get it. He just ripped a giant hole in the side, poked his head in to look around and left it alone. There was zero food or anything with a scent in there, just clothes and sleeping gear. The only thing I can think is he was either looking to eat one of us, or he went into someone else’s tent at some point and found their food so he knew where to look. Either way I’m happy I wasn’t in there when that happened. So im out a gas can, a 40 pack of bottled water and a brand new luxe mega horn that’s never been slept in.
https://i.imgur.com/uwdaDVu.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/YDpgbah.jpg

Bustercluck
05-28-2022, 08:21 PM
It started out as a good day. We saw this guy earlier on in the day in a different location.

https://i.imgur.com/U4y75Qb.jpg

And this was the last pic before the drama started.

https://i.imgur.com/FMLqnjH.jpg

And the luxe, pre bear attack.

https://i.imgur.com/j3ZVGSE.jpg

Bustercluck
05-28-2022, 08:22 PM
The boys said they still had fun even though we had to drive home in the middle of the night.

https://i.imgur.com/g5ULEpe.jpg

rageous
05-28-2022, 08:27 PM
Glad your all safe that’s the most important thing.

That bear sounds dangerous. Possibly a town garage bear relocated.

SSS…

Gr8 white hunter
05-28-2022, 08:38 PM
I think maybe you should pack a shotgun aswell. Glad your all ok.

Bustercluck
05-28-2022, 08:43 PM
Glad your all safe that’s the most important thing.

That bear sounds dangerous. Possibly a town garage bear relocated.

SSS…

It definitely seems like a cross between habituated town bear who wasn’t afraid of humans and very hungry willing to do whatever it had to eat. I’ve seen many town bears that couldn’t be bothered by dogs or bear bangers, but they were nowhere near this aggressive.

Gateholio
05-28-2022, 08:46 PM
Pretty freaky. That bear is for sure going to continue to be a problem.

At close range a 22LR to the head will kill a bear. Not ideal but sometimes you gotta run what you brung.

Glad everyone is okay.

MOOSE MILK
05-28-2022, 08:48 PM
x2 the shotgun!!!

Bustercluck
05-28-2022, 08:54 PM
I brought my 870 tactical with me today to reclaim my property. I’m a bit of a minimalist so I tend to not bring much that I don’t need and bears don’t really concern me too much.

I did speak with conservation today and they told me I was well within my rights to shoot the bear and not worry about legal problems. They’re making a trip out here tomorrow to either destroy it or put up some “problem bear” signs.

Bustercluck
05-28-2022, 09:02 PM
One more thing as I’m reflecting on my bear preparedness in the backcountry. I’m pretty happy with the way I keep my camp. My philosophy is to leave my food bear accessible, but not easy to get at. If I hang my food in a tree with a bear bell attached than I’m likely to wake up before he gets it and when I’m packing a cooler I tend to put it up on a picnic table and stack something heavy that would make a pile of noise when tipped over. And the golden rule of absolutely nothing scented in the tent, ever, non-negotiable.

Patman7
05-28-2022, 09:25 PM
Bears like that have to be eliminated. Even with your 22, shoot to the head and then empty your clip.

Redthies
05-28-2022, 10:42 PM
I have an issue with the narrative. You clearly state you were “enjoying” sambuca! I don’t think that’s possible, is it?

Kidding aside, glad it all worked out for you. An interesting encounter for sure. I carry either my .44 Mag or 12 gauge shorty on non-hunting campouts like that. A 10-22 is not ideal for unplanned events like that. Great for daylight plinking, but not so much for nocturnal visitors.

HarryToolips
05-28-2022, 10:45 PM
One more thing as I’m reflecting on my bear preparedness in the backcountry. I’m pretty happy with the way I keep my camp. My philosophy is to leave my food bear accessible, but not easy to get at. If I hang my food in a tree with a bear bell attached than I’m likely to wake up before he gets it and when I’m packing a cooler I tend to put it up on a picnic table and stack something heavy that would make a pile of noise when tipped over. And the golden rule of absolutely nothing scented in the tent, ever, non-negotiable.

I agree with you on the last sentence especially...

Glad you and your boys are OK...hope you can repair the Luxe, I have one they're a lot of fun.. I had to shoot and kill a prob bear once that was being super aggressive, it gets the blood going ...

walks with deer
05-29-2022, 01:00 AM
You did everything right except bringing a hare gun to a bear fight.

Redthies
05-29-2022, 04:28 AM

Searching for the “like” button…

RiverOtter
05-29-2022, 05:16 AM
Was really hoping to read that after the bears second approach, that you dumped a mag full in his face. That bear will continue to be a hazard to other people it comes in contact with.
Sorry to hear that your camp out was cut short by a predatory type bear and your gear was tore up, that sucks. Really glad you and your boys are unscathed though, that's the most important.

HappyJack
05-29-2022, 07:28 AM
A scary situation to be in, especially with your boys in camp with you. We've had to shoot a couple of black bears over the years but they were all during the day, glad to hear you all got away without any injuries.

tigrr
05-29-2022, 07:31 AM
Lots of people can sew that tent back together.

Bustercluck
05-29-2022, 08:07 AM
I have an issue with the narrative. You clearly state you were “enjoying” sambuca! I don’t think that’s possible, is it?

Kidding aside, glad it all worked out for you. An interesting encounter for sure. I carry either my .44 Mag or 12 gauge shorty on non-hunting campouts like that. A 10-22 is not ideal for unplanned events like that. Great for daylight plinking, but not so much for nocturnal visitors.
Lol, I love sambuca, especially in the backcountry, but I get the same response from most people until they give it a try. When I consider everything in for weight, alcohol content amd being able to drink it warm without mix it’s the best I can find. I don’t mind fireball or schnapps once in a while too.

hunterdon
05-29-2022, 08:15 AM
For several years now, when tenting it out, I simply set up an electric fence around the tent. Easily done and I sleep much better. If and when a bear or anything else for that matter touches that wire, they're gone!

BULLNUTTS
05-29-2022, 08:21 AM

X2 On this one for sure. Very glad that you and your boys made it out ok and with good memories in tact. Sambucca around the campfire is great as is '' The camp xhotgun'' - Both must haves lol

wildcatter
05-29-2022, 10:39 AM
Lol, I love sambuca, especially in the backcountry, but I get the same response from most people until they give it a try. When I consider everything in for weight, alcohol content amd being able to drink it warm without mix it’s the best I can find. I don’t mind fireball or schnapps once in a while too.

I like sambuca and a good home made pear, or apricot schnapps, but can't stand that crap fireball.:lol:

Bustercluck
05-29-2022, 11:27 AM
As I’m sitting here reflecting I thought I’d throw something out that really worked and came natural without me thinking about it. I had these 100 packs of mini-mags and every time I wanted to fill the mag I moved the lid over and dumped ten rounds in my hand. When the bullets were all in than I knew the mag was full. It’s something simple and sped up my reloads with one less thing to worry about and for some reason I was automatically counting rounds as I was pulling the trigger.

I use the same technique when I’m pouring primers out onto my loading tray.

https://i.imgur.com/mGFkbnd.jpg

Sunny
05-29-2022, 11:34 AM
wow I think you need a shotgun

IronNoggin
05-29-2022, 11:41 AM
I think maybe you should pack a shotgun aswell.

Especially with the kids in tow. The rabbit rifle is at best an uncertain deterrent if push comes to shove...

Pretty freaky. That bear is for sure going to continue to be a problem.

Absolutely for certain. Hopefully he decides to try on the CO's and gets what he has coming.

I am relieved to hear you got away scott clean & safe!
Especially so with your lads!
You got lucky.
It could have quite easily gone a much different route.
Hope that you will contemplate packing a bigger hammer next time around...

Cheers,
Nog

mpotzold
05-29-2022, 12:45 PM
For several years now, when tenting it out, I simply set up an electric fence around the tent. Easily done and I sleep much better. If and when a bear or anything else for that matter touches that wire, they're gone!

http://images.summitpost.org/original/887931.JPG

Above! Posted it a few years ago. If I was tenting in bear country nowadays!

Lived in a tent year-round in the remote Yukon wilderness while surveying in the 60's. Always carried a mag. revolver for bear protection within easy reach but never had to use it.
We also had rifles in the tents.
One night a FN guy shot a wolverine that was trying to enter the campsite.
There were plenty of bears in the area but they avoided us.
Worked not that far away from where Valérie Thé​orêt, 37, and her daughter were both killed by a grizzly in the Yukon (Nov. 27, 2018 ) -they had no protection.

BTW-good to hear that no one was hurt -the bear must be caught ASAP & destroyed!
Nowadays the 45-70 loaded with 540 gr Garret's is within easy reach when camping in bear country.

moosinaround
05-29-2022, 03:53 PM
I spend quite a bit of time in a wall tent every year hunting. I always have a hunting rifle, or my camp rifle, 444 marlin in the tent. That would have been a dispatched bear in any of my camps. A rule I have always followed in the wilderness is, I will give the bear a couple opportunities to leave, but if it doesn't leave after the first 2, the third strike is it's death! I have only ever had to kill 1 black bear in self defense, they usually get the picture! Glad this all worked out well for you guys. These are memories your little ones will remember for ever! Moosin

Rezpatrol
05-29-2022, 04:44 PM
Get a cut down 30-30 and youl still be able to shoot the head off a grouse or a 30yd black bear

caddisguy
05-29-2022, 07:16 PM
Good on you working with what you got and good on your boy for spotting the trouble.

Can you just got back and cut a tag on it in legal light?

Glad all is well minus the tent.

mpotzold
05-29-2022, 07:29 PM
Get a cut down 30-30 and youl still be able to shoot the head off a grouse or a 30yd black bear

Here’s a huge grizz shot by a single shot 0.22 in 1953
https://www.ammoland.com/2017/06/bella-twin-the-22-used-to-take-the-1953-world-record-grizzly-and-more/#axzz7UjXwKpnS

https://www.ammoland.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/11/Bella-Twin-is-shown-with-the-hide-from-the-world-record-grizzly-bear.jpg

Bustercluck
05-29-2022, 07:50 PM
Good on you working with what you got and good on your boy for spotting the trouble.

Can you just got back and cut a tag on it in legal light?

Glad all is well minus the tent.
I messaged a few guys who had bear tags, but nobody was interested in spring garbage bear.

caddisguy
05-29-2022, 08:13 PM
I messaged a few guys who had bear tags, but nobody was interested in spring garbage bear.

Tags are cheap and no rule about having to consume the meat, just a public service. Sounds like it could prevent someone from harm. CO might take care of that too based off the description.

VI_Jay
05-29-2022, 09:47 PM
Is that true? I thought as much meat as possible was required to be harvested from any general open season species which require tags like black bears. Or is this situation different as this specific bear is a known problem bear and hunters with tags are allowed to hunt it without harvesting it?

caddisguy
05-29-2022, 10:18 PM
Is that true? I thought as much meat as possible was required to be harvested from any general open season species which require tags like black bears. Or is this situation different as this specific bear is a known problem bear and hunters with tags are allowed to hunt it without harvesting it?

You do need to take the meat to your home or to a butcher, but no rule as to what happens to it after that, so it leaves some options open for this type of situation (problem trash bear most would not want to consume) You could toss it, but I'd wager you could find someone who would take it for dog food.

Bustercluck
05-30-2022, 07:32 AM
According to the article above. Shoot em between the eyeball and the ear, or up the nose. If they’re that close

RiverOtter
05-30-2022, 08:56 AM
According to the article above. Shoot em between the eyeball and the ear, or up the nose. If they’re that close

If you've ever held a bleached bear skull up to a bright light, you'll notice that the bone is much thinner a few inches above the eyes, especially right or left of center. Something to keep in mind if you are ever forced to press a 22 into action to defend your own hide.

klondikemike
05-30-2022, 04:21 PM
I got a call from a neighbour\friend one morning long ago, he had found out another neighbour a couple houses down had a bear trying to break into his porch. The only gun he had was a 22 auto and long rifle shells. He let him have it from about 3 feet away and then emptied the clip full at his head. This happened about three in the morning. I grabbed a shotgun and slugs and we started following the blood trail. about 7. There was drops of blood about every 2" and they were pretty much in a straight line for at least 3\4 mile where we found him stone dead. Only one bullet hole was found as i skinned him out. Directly middle between the eye and ear hole and only about half way into his brain. Im thinking he could have done plenty of damage if he'd tried. I like the shotgun route much better. And a big thank you for sharing your story

coyotebc
06-18-2022, 11:15 PM
I used to never worry about bears, but in the last 5 years, I have had a friend have issues twice with a cougar stalking his camp at night, and once a black bear.
all 3 times he shot a shotgun into the air.
He did that with the bear 3 times, before he decided to sleep in his truck
the one cougar left after the second shot

the other cougar never left, so again he slept in the truck.

Now when camping, I have both bear spray and either a 12 Guage or rifle with me.

My buddy grew up a boy scout and keeps a spotlessly clean camp.

In your case, the bear may have been close enough for a blast of bearspray to send it packing.

.330 Dakota
06-19-2022, 04:58 AM
If my truck moves, so does the 45/70, if my quad moves sodoes the 45/70,,,that bear needed killing right there and then

Downtown
06-19-2022, 07:47 AM

Probably the best solution for a goods night sleep, done it myself but still keep a adequate Gun handy with full Mag just in case.

Cheers

HarryToolips
06-19-2022, 07:56 AM
^^^I too when tent camping sleep with the rifle with loaded mag in (no round in chamber), and I have the pack alarm I set up whenever I'm backpack camping, especially in grizzly country..

j270wsm
06-19-2022, 10:01 AM
FYI…….Where I live in the elk valley there are a bunch of trees wrapped in barb wire, which is used to collect hair samples from bears. The area where all the samples are taken is part of a 144sq km area. These hair samples have shown that there is 85 sows and 64 boars( grizzlies ) that rub on these trees. Keep in mind that not every bear will rub on these trees……and that they use some kind of a liquid attractant that they spray all over the trees. This attractant smells just like black liquorice( Sambuca )

Deer_Slayer
06-20-2022, 08:59 PM
Glad you are all safe.

Bustercluck
06-20-2022, 10:03 PM
FYI…….Where I live in the elk valley there are a bunch of trees wrapped in barb wire, which is used to collect hair samples from bears. The area where all the samples are taken is part of a 144sq km area. These hair samples have shown that there is 85 sows and 64 boars( grizzlies ) that rub on these trees. Keep in mind that not every bear will rub on these trees……and that they use some kind of a liquid attractant that they spray all over the trees. This attractant smells just like black liquorice( Sambuca )
Uh-oh. I’d better switch up my favourite beverage.

Jagermeister
06-20-2022, 10:21 PM
That is what is referred to as a “predatory black bear”. There are two ways to see a black bear; 1. It’s booking it for the next county the moment you start making noise and 2. It is eyeing you on it’s dinner plate. You stand a better chance with a grizzly.
There was a thread started by Brambles many moons ago about his and his hunting buddy years ago routed by a grizzly in the middle of the night. Screw the tent. Build a lean-to and sleep with your head out to the fire and feet in the narrow end. Wear socks in case you have to bail.. And a defender style of shotgun with SLUGS!

Retiredguy
06-21-2022, 09:09 AM
Uh-oh. I’d better switch up my favourite beverage.

The key is to remember that wild animals are afraid of fire...the solution is to drink "Flaming Sambucas".

I suspect however, that the scent used is Anise. :)

wideopenthrottle
06-21-2022, 09:23 AM
heheh...i just got a text yesterday from my buddy who was jogging on Burnaby Mountain ...he cam around a corner on the trail and stopped within 2 feet of a big black bear...i guess i will have to mountain bike up there with my defender now...heheheheh...same buddy who watched a bobcat in robert burnaby park successfully catch a squirrel and even got a pic of it with the squirrel in its mouth

ACE
06-21-2022, 09:32 AM
The early elk (6pt) - sheep season in the Flathead was always interesting with more than a few G-bears around. Always slept fully clothed with boots on, and sleeping bag un-zipped. Loaded rifle close.

j270wsm
06-21-2022, 10:01 AM
The key is to remember that wild animals are afraid of fire...the solution is to drink "Flaming Sambucas".

I suspect however, that the scent used is Anise. :)

im not sure what the name of the scent but it smelled like black liquorice.

Retiredguy
06-21-2022, 10:22 AM
im not sure what the name of the scent but it smelled like black liquorice.

Yes, Anise smells like black licorice. Bears like it and it is a spray that is often used in places that allow hunters to bait for black bear.

j270wsm
06-21-2022, 11:26 AM
Learn something new everyday

Bustercluck
07-05-2022, 07:12 PM
I thought I’d throw out a quick update here.

I didn’t think it was a big deal and didn’t bother me too much, but I can tell you I underestimated the level of ptsd that little ordeal left me with. I was just out with the kids and wife for a few days and I don’t think I slept for an hour my first night in the tent. Second and third night were fine, but the first night I was out of the tent three times with my rifle investigating noises in the dark. Lol.