PDA

View Full Version : Ticks and scumbags, Princeton/surrounding area

TheObserver
05-17-2022, 05:39 PM
Scouting up this way this weekend, will have boots on the ground for pretty well the whole 3 days. For anyone that spends time up there how are the ticks, and how about vehicles being damaged/broken into?

Thanks in advance for any info Gents!

swampthing
05-17-2022, 06:04 PM
You will certainly be flickin ticks off! Scumbags should be scarce though.

huntingfamily
05-17-2022, 06:13 PM
I would think that the scumbag pecentage would be highest the closer you are to the lower wasteland

TheObserver
05-17-2022, 07:01 PM
You will certainly be flickin ticks off! Scumbags should be scarce though.

Hahaha nice!! Good to know

TheObserver
05-17-2022, 07:03 PM
I would think that the scumbag pecentage would be highest the closer you are to the lower wasteland

The scumbags abound in 2022 my friend, there are people like that all over now. But yes soddom and gomorrah (lower wasteland) definitely is flooded with them!

walks with deer
05-17-2022, 07:19 PM
With your attitude please stay home.
Never got a tick in princeton yet...and never had any issues...if your hunting bear go to higher elevation and ticks will be less present...and price of gas most scumbags are still in the lower mainland.

Iron Glove
05-17-2022, 07:39 PM
Have had our Tulameen place for 20+ years, am in the woods a lot, Son has been living in Princeton for 20 years, he's in the woods more than he's at home, we've never experienced any problems in the hills around there. Closer you get to the Coquihalla tho', the greater the chances of vehicles, camps being vandalized.
One tick in all those years, probably fell off our dog after a day in the bush.

TheObserver
05-17-2022, 07:59 PM
With your attitude please stay home.
Never got a tick in princeton yet...and never had any issues...if your hunting bear go to higher elevation and ticks will be less present...and price of gas most scumbags are still in the lower mainland.

Just asking because some areas in region 5 are notorious for natives damaging any non native vehicles rendering them inoperable and stranded, other places in region 8 for people raiding camps and thieving. Or like last Remembrance Day when a car drove my Dad over and dragged him up the mountain right before my eyes while I jumped out of the way of the vehicle and they broke his back and neck and leg and gave him brain damage and me stranded.

Was just asking how the area is for leaving my vehicle on the side of an FSR for three days straight

Not trying to make a snarky reply, just where i'm coming from if I came off like a pos, thanks for the heads up! Won't be hunting Bear but have been thinking about picking up a tag

TheObserver
05-17-2022, 08:00 PM
Have had our Tulameen place for 20+ years, am in the woods a lot, Son has been living in Princeton for 20 years, he's in the woods more than he's at home, we've never experienced any problems in the hills around there. Closer you get to the Coquihalla tho', the greater the chances of vehicles, camps being vandalized.
One tick in all those years, probably fell off our dog after a day in the bush.

Thanks man! I will be up there a lot this year

Deer_Slayer
05-17-2022, 08:19 PM
Were they caught? How's your Dad now?

TheObserver
05-17-2022, 08:36 PM
Were they caught? How's your Dad now?

No, I don't think they ever will be. Unless maybe someone rats someone out.

He is really good all things considering I thought he was going to be brain dead for life. But his brain is back to normal besides forgetting words sometimes and his swallowing food is not all there (some brain throat connection problem), other than that my Dad is my Dad again hahah but his leg he won't be hiking much or at all this year.

But when it happened (dark/snowing) I couldn't find him and thought he was dead for sure

Arctic Lake
05-17-2022, 08:46 PM
How the hell does that happen ? Can you share the story ?
Arctic Lake
Just asking because some areas in region 5 are notorious for natives damaging any non native vehicles rendering them inoperable and stranded, other places in region 8 for people raiding camps and thieving. Or like last Remembrance Day when a car drove my Dad over and dragged him up the mountain right before my eyes while I jumped out of the way of the vehicle and they broke his back and neck and leg and gave him brain damage and me stranded.

Was just asking how the area is for leaving my vehicle on the side of an FSR for three days straight

Not trying to make a snarky reply, just where i'm coming from if I came off like a pos, thanks for the heads up! Won't be hunting Bear but have been thinking about picking up a tag

TheObserver
05-17-2022, 08:53 PM
How the hell does that happen ? Can you share the story ?
Arctic Lake

We went to a place my Dads buddy had seen a monster whitetail in region 8 weeks before, we were supposed to go with him and his son but he backed out last min, also a buddy of mine couldnt go. So we went in blind, didn't like what we found so we headed south to a spot I got my first buck a whitetail when I was 11, we know the area very well.

We were staying in the wall tent with the wood stove, but instead of cutting wood I wanted to hunt. Told him I will cut the wood up at night and he dropped me off to hunt until dark. On the way down the mountain back to camp we found nice widow maker close to the road.

I cut it up and was putting the wood in the back of the truck and he was up by the front of the truck doing something.

We were about 150 yards away from the bend, and our lights were on truck was running. Seen the lights didn't think anything of it. Next thing I look up and they are right there speeding and slightly fishtailing, he didn't have a chance even if i'd of yelled he couldn't get out of the way I had to jump out of the way they missed me by seconds

TheObserver
05-17-2022, 08:57 PM
We happened to pass a camp on a spur 2 minute run away from where it happened and they had a phone with service and a side by side. When we found my Dad about 300 meters up the mountain they hadn't even slowed down, he came loose by a miracle they didn't stop or slow to get him off. Couldn't drive his truck either so family picked me up they hit the truck and him.

These people are out there man they don't care as long as they get away

REMINGTON JIM
05-17-2022, 09:17 PM
WOW ! that would be Very Hard to deal with ! I'm Really Glad your Dad mostly recovered ! :wink: Take CARE out there and watch out for Scumbags ! RJ

Iron Glove
05-17-2022, 09:54 PM
Thanks man! I will be up there a lot this year

Damnit, I shoulda kept my mouth shut, now there'll be another "604" chasing our game. :mrgreen:

wildcatter
05-17-2022, 09:59 PM
No, I don't think they ever will be. Unless maybe someone rats someone out.

He is really good all things considering I thought he was going to be brain dead for life. But his brain is back to normal besides forgetting words sometimes and his swallowing food is not all there (some brain throat connection problem), other than that my Dad is my Dad again hahah but his leg he won't be hiking much or at all this year.

But when it happened (dark/snowing) I couldn't find him and thought he was dead for sure

That's brutal, I've heard some bad stories but nothing like that.
Do you have a hunch who they were?
Was there a thorough investigation?

TheObserver
05-17-2022, 10:00 PM
Damnit, I shoulda kept my mouth shut, now there'll be another "604" chasing our game. :mrgreen:

Hahaha don't worry it will just be me, no groups and i've had these plans for a while. Within the next two years I will no longer be in the 604 crowd, and I can not wait!!

TheObserver
05-17-2022, 10:03 PM
That's brutal, I've heard some bad stories but nothing like that.
Do you have a hunch who they were?
Was there a thorough investigation?

Up there bow hunting in September we met some locals, that would be the closest thing to knowing anyone/thing. My Dad thinks they didn't really try

TheObserver
05-17-2022, 10:04 PM
WOW ! that would be Very Hard to deal with ! I'm Really Glad your Dad mostly recovered ! :wink: Take CARE out there and watch out for Scumbags ! RJ

Thanks man!! Will do! Definitely will never load wood off the main again

caddisguy
05-17-2022, 11:11 PM
Sorry to hear all this. I am glad your father is doing all good considering.

Try to remember, there is 100x more good out there in the bush than there are wreckless or with bad intent.

Try to stay positive and see all the good out there. Had some negative encounters and totally understand the stain from an ordeal like that but just remember there's way more positive than negative out there.

If feasible just leave the vehicle tucked away on a spur, leave a couple camp chairs and a stove around. The naughty types (if any roll up by chance) just see a camp and figure you aren't too far and might be watching.

Ticks in Princeton not sure, never stomped around there. Fraser Valley is probably the worst deal for that, I can pick up 20 in a 5 minute walk. Just tuck your pants into your socks, shirt into your pants, check your legs once every 5 mins, move brush out of the way if possible vs letting it rub you.... you'll bust 99% of ticks that way, pick them off with your fingies and give them a dose of BIC lighter flame. They'll die well before the flame burns you. If any borrow in, gentle work with needle nose tweezers pulls them out in tact. Once they're out, light em up (never burn one that is attached to you though, that's a good way to get infected with the badness) Probably slayed thousands of those little buggers and been bit 100+ times before I got wise (most detected early) and I'm still alright.

If you are wearing camo or black or whatever, you can give your clothes a once over with a lint roller at the end of the day, turn inside out and repeat, or just strip down, toss the clothes in a garbage bag outside the sleeping quarters and deal with it next day. That's how we roll.

caddisgirl for whatever reason picks up less hitch hikers than I do, takes all the same precautions but ended up with one in her undies last trip... a bit close for comfort on that one... died with extra prejudice haha

What you don't want is a tick attached to you for more than 48 hours (ideally 24) because that's when their digestion process involves regurgitation back into you which is how some get infected with the bad stuff (along with dumb stuff like burning them while attached or putting Vaseline over it, or any other silly remedies aside from clean plucking) Stay vigilant but just like bad peeps, stay cool and don't let ticks keep you from living the good life.

Steeleco
05-18-2022, 05:07 AM
Damnit, I shoulda kept my mouth shut, now there'll be another "604" chasing our game. :mrgreen:Gain 1 but lost 2. Price of gas and the house got sold. Will be stalking from time to time, but not every weekend LOL Besides there's no animals there. Only on long weekends!!

TheObserver
05-18-2022, 05:49 AM
Sorry to hear all this. I am glad your father is doing all good considering.

Try to remember, there is 100x more good out there in the bush than there are wreckless or with bad intent.

Try to stay positive and see all the good out there. Had some negative encounters and totally understand the stain from an ordeal like that but just remember there's way more positive than negative out there.

If feasible just leave the vehicle tucked away on a spur, leave a couple camp chairs and a stove around. The naughty types (if any roll up by chance) just see a camp and figure you aren't too far and might be watching.

Ticks in Princeton not sure, never stomped around there. Fraser Valley is probably the worst deal for that, I can pick up 20 in a 5 minute walk. Just tuck your pants into your socks, shirt into your pants, check your legs once every 5 mins, move brush out of the way if possible vs letting it rub you.... you'll bust 99% of ticks that way, pick them off with your fingies and give them a dose of BIC lighter flame. They'll die well before the flame burns you. If any borrow in, gentle work with needle nose tweezers pulls them out in tact. Once they're out, light em up (never burn one that is attached to you though, that's a good way to get infected with the badness) Probably slayed thousands of those little buggers and been bit 100+ times before I got wise (most detected early) and I'm still alright.

If you are wearing camo or black or whatever, you can give your clothes a once over with a lint roller at the end of the day, turn inside out and repeat, or just strip down, toss the clothes in a garbage bag outside the sleeping quarters and deal with it next day. That's how we roll.

caddisgirl for whatever reason picks up less hitch hikers than I do, takes all the same precautions but ended up with one in her undies last trip... a bit close for comfort on that one... died with extra prejudice haha

What you don't want is a tick attached to you for more than 48 hours (ideally 24) because that's when their digestion process involves regurgitation back into you which is how some get infected with the bad stuff (along with dumb stuff like burning them while attached or putting Vaseline over it, or any other silly remedies aside from clean plucking) Stay vigilant but just like bad peeps, stay cool and don't let ticks keep you from living the good life.

Thanks!

For sure most people are decent and helpful!

Yeah i've heard that recently, never would have thought Fraser Valley/coast would be bad for ticks only really started hunting down here last season though but lived down here since born and never ran into one. I always tuck the pants and shirts in.

Last month up around Cache Creek I pulled one off my neck. I'm not sure if I caught him biting or if he was already in I was driving and just pulled him off knew what it was as soon as I touched it, then the next day hiking another one in exact same spot.

Lint roller is a great idea!! Never thought of that

Hahahaha no doubt!!

If one is embedded how about heating up a pin and poking its but and they back out?

Iron Glove
05-18-2022, 07:04 AM
Gain 1 but lost 2. Price of gas and the house got sold. Will be stalking from time to time, but not every weekend LOL Besides there's no animals there. Only on long weekends!!

Yup, place is crawling with animals on the Long Weekends, alas they all have 2 legs. :mrgreen:
With the floods and fires of last year it's going to be an interesting year for hunting. As you are likely aware some of the FSR's were hit pretty bad, the KVR is kaput and we are waiting for the Spring Flood to see how that affects things.
Lots of deer running around and there was a nice cinnamon bear frolicking in Town yesterday.
Some logging late last year has opened up a nice area near Town, might be a nice spot for White Tail - it's well within my "I only travel 10 km or less to hunt" philosophy.

Arctic Lake
05-18-2022, 08:33 AM
Observer ! That’s a hell of thing to happen to your Dad ! Some peoples behaviour is really deplorable , where the hell are their morals !
Arctic Lake

caddisguy
05-18-2022, 09:38 AM
If one is embedded how about heating up a pin and poking its but and they back out?

I'd say no go on that one. From all I have read the consensus seems to be that anything that would make a tick back out (heat, trauma, suffocation, etc) will cause it to regurgitate back into you which is where the real risk comes in.

Careful removal with needle nose tweezers is my go to. There are also little tools (google tick key) that are pretty good, but they tend not to work on small males or nymph stage ticks. Overall probably actually safer than tweezers as it takes the risk out of squeezing the tick which is bad and an easy mistake to make. Probably worth picking up some such tool. If it works great, if not, revert to tweezers.

One thing I'll add is that newer studies and medical practices have incorporated freezing compounds similar to some wart removal products for tick removal. The idea is that it kills the tick instantly by freezing and that regurgitation does not occur and makes removal easier. It's said to be the safest way to remove a tick and seems to be the new standard. Here's one such product, not sure if you can find it in Canada though:

https://www.arctickspray.com/ (YouTube demo https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Wg8fuYoccw)

I do believe one of these wart gizmos could be easily adapted to achieve the same result, but I don't recommend making yourself a guinea pig. Save that kind of thing for me lol

https://www.amazon.ca/Compound-Advanced-Accu-Freeze-Freeze-Off-Wart-Removal/dp/B00SD9IEQM

wideopenthrottle
05-18-2022, 10:16 AM
if you have a little bit of finger nail remove them like a sliver pinching well below the surface of your skin and well below the depth of its mouthparts while not squeezing the body at all.. every night before bed is full inspection and a second set of eyes for under the pits and in the hair is good...

TheObserver
05-18-2022, 11:49 AM
Observer ! That’s a hell of thing to happen to your Dad ! Some peoples behaviour is really deplorable , where the hell are their morals !
Arctic Lake

Yeah for a lot of the world morals seem to be becoming a thing of the past

TheObserver
05-18-2022, 11:53 AM
I'd say no go on that one. From all I have read the consensus seems to be that anything that would make a tick back out (heat, trauma, suffocation, etc) will cause it to regurgitate back into you which is where the real risk comes in.

Careful removal with needle nose tweezers is my go to. There are also little tools (google tick key) that are pretty good, but they tend not to work on small males or nymph stage ticks. Overall probably actually safer than tweezers as it takes the risk out of squeezing the tick which is bad and an easy mistake to make. Probably worth picking up some such tool. If it works great, if not, revert to tweezers.

One thing I'll add is that newer studies and medical practices have incorporated freezing compounds similar to some wart removal products for tick removal. The idea is that it kills the tick instantly by freezing and that regurgitation does not occur and makes removal easier. It's said to be the safest way to remove a tick and seems to be the new standard. Here's one such product, not sure if you can find it in Canada though:

https://www.arctickspray.com/ (YouTube demo https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Wg8fuYoccw)

I do believe one of these wart gizmos could be easily adapted to achieve the same result, but I don't recommend making yourself a guinea pig. Save that kind of thing for me lol

https://www.amazon.ca/Compound-Advanced-Accu-Freeze-Freeze-Off-Wart-Removal/dp/B00SD9IEQM

Okay, what is the risk of breaking the head off would it just be a general infection at that point or could you get the diseases from that too?

I'll put some needle nose and a mirror in the pack for this weekend.

I have heard of this also but have not looked into it, hahaha well if you do experiment let us know! Lol

caddisguy
05-18-2022, 01:24 PM
Okay, what is the risk of breaking the head off would it just be a general infection at that point or could you get the diseases from that too?

I'll put some needle nose and a mirror in the pack for this weekend.

I have heard of this also but have not looked into it, hahaha well if you do experiment let us know! Lol

I'd wager breaking off the head is a crap shoot as far as borrelia burgdorferi exposure is concerned. I've only had that happen once removing a tick from my brothers arm. I'd never seen a tick stuck so bad lol. I remember lifting it up with the tweezers and it was pulling the skin up with it. Tried everything, twisting, different angles, etc. Nope she's hooked in there pretty good.. I'm like "dang, you're whole arm's gonna have to go man"

We decided to go full bush surgery on his arm, digging it (and surrounding area) out while rubbing it raw with isopropyl alcohol. When all was said and done, he had a pretty good hole in his arm. To be on the safe side, got him to go to a doctor to see if antibiotics would be a good idea (and they did) I thought the doctor was gonna say we were a couple of dumbasses but apparently she admired my work hahah (tho I'm not sure if that says more about her or me)

Hopefully wasn't TMI or anyone grossed out stopped reading already :)

whitlers
05-18-2022, 04:07 PM
I have used the old tick key on myself and my dog. Works well. Hate those buggers

Redthies
05-18-2022, 08:48 PM

I’m born and raised 250 but my business number is 604. Don’t judge the number brah!

Iron Glove
05-18-2022, 10:23 PM
I’m born and raised 250 but my business number is 604. Don’t judge the number brah!

Hey, I'm born and bred 604 , the cabin is a 250 so I "identify" as a 604 + 250 = 854 which when divided by 2 = 427. :lol:

walks with deer
05-18-2022, 10:55 PM
Delete post

338edgehunter
05-19-2022, 08:15 AM
Time to make some bait camps take care of the theft and vandals since the cops won't do anything about it.

Evanguy
05-21-2022, 12:38 PM
the lower wasteland haha it may be just because I'm new to BC but that is a good I haven't heard yet thanks for the chuckle