PDA

View Full Version : Region 5 buck

Wild_Dog
11-21-2007, 08:44 PM
Haven't posted in a while.
This buck was taken in late october. My uncle and I took a trip down the fraser heading south from Quesnel.

Drifting down the river we saw this buck at about 5:00. By the time we were able to beach the boat it was getting to late to go and find him so we tied up and waited till morning.

First morning, I headed off into the direction of that buck. I climbed the first two ridges and forgot the rule to sneak over the last little bit. Busted two does. They ran about 300 yards and stopped. After a while they relaxed and began feeding again. Watched them till the disappeared into one of the numerous gullies then proceeded on my way.

This was my first 'real hunt' meaning that my legs were the only transportion! Climbed hills till I was way over the river (the pics don't do it justice to how high I was). Saw a few more does and about 80 sheep...most of which were rams nothing more than 7/8's. Sure gave me a rush for sheep hunting though! I was a day late for that regardless (oct 21)

Didn't find that buck that morning or evening.

Next morning I headed out to the same area. I was going to follow a game trail along the river that I had came across the other night, then a last minute feeling made me climb up those hills I had went up the previous morning.

I hit the same ridge that I was when I saw those does, but creeped over slowly. About 600 yards away I saw bone. Looked huge in my binos!

I backed down the ridge and tried to get closer. Made it too about 400 yards. From where I was there was only sage and the buck was headed for one of the gullies that would take him up the mountain.

I decided to take the shot....after all you miss 100% of the shots you don't take! Rested my rifle on my bag and as I was adjusting my aim to adjust for the distance I accidently touched the trigger....its very sensitive! Boom....knew right away that I was off.
The doe that was with buck took off but he just turned and looked at me.

I held about 10 inches high and squeezed the trigger. In my follow through I saw him dip in the front and I knew I hit him.

Waited for about 20 min then hiked to where I last saw him. I had lost sight of him then out of the corner of my eye I saw movement. He was walking slowly then disappeared into one of those gullies. As soon as he was gone I hightailed it. As I reached the gully he appeared on the other side....37 yards away. I kneeled and bang. He dropped. After a few minutes I walked up to him.....then I realized what you guys are talking about when you talk about ground shrinkage!

Anyways....short quartered him and backed him out...bout three clicks.

A proper frame is on the wish list for christmas.

Not a huge buck but my best hunt by far.

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b72/jpucek/Misc163.jpg

Oh yah,
river came up about 7 feet when we were gone and sunk the truck

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b72/jpucek/Misc176.jpg

Brambles
11-21-2007, 08:48 PM
Oh yah,
river came up about 7 feet when we were gone and sunk the truck

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b72/jpucek/Misc176.jpg

:eek::eek:That would suck SOOOOOOO bad.

Good story and nice photo's and nice buck

Brambles

bruin
11-21-2007, 10:47 PM
Nice buck, too bad about the truck, how bad is the damage?

mark
11-21-2007, 11:27 PM
Nice buck, sure sucks about the truck, I park there all the time but pull way up the bank for that reason. you guys could of launched closer to where you were hunting.

1/2 slam
11-22-2007, 12:16 AM
Ouch....that hurt....the truck that is :eek:

Wild_Dog
11-22-2007, 01:18 AM
Mark..never though the river would come up that much in the fall...lessons learned!

Pretty expensive buck...cost a lot to get the truck fixed...plus the extra money to run the boat back up to Quesnel.

It was a great trip though...nice to be were no people are....going to remove one pic as it might give too much info to where we were.

hunter1947
11-22-2007, 05:05 AM
Nice looking deer Wild Dog ,good going what did you do with the truck ,would be interesting to hear what happened next ????.

boonerbuck
11-22-2007, 12:59 PM
The top of the motor seem above water I think?

Sharkey
11-22-2007, 01:11 PM
Great story - too bad about the rig. But that's what insurance is for I guess!
~D

Mr. Dean
11-22-2007, 02:19 PM
That's nasty.... C'grats on the buck!

GoatGuy
11-22-2007, 02:23 PM
I suppose it wasn't that funny but it'll make for a good story and a lesson learned.

I had that happen with a tent a couple years ago. Left it there hiked back in a couple days later only to find my tent, sleeping bag and gear at the bottom of the lake! Had it about 70 feet up from the lake when I left it there. Boots and pants off to retrieve the gear and the water was COLD (May).

What a mess - hiking a down and water filled sleeping bag and gear out isn't what I would consider fun but like you say lesson learned. Little bit more expensive on your part. :biggrin:

KevinB
11-22-2007, 02:42 PM
Not a huge buck but my best hunt by far.

Hey, that says it all and what really matters, right there. The size of the antlers doesn't have much to do with how much you enjoy a hunt. I think he looks just fine!

Too bad about the truck though...