PDA

View Full Version : Base Camp Frying Pan....

Would Rather Be Fishing
05-15-2022, 09:04 PM
Following up on the other "frying pan thread", I am finding myself looking for a worthy base camp pan. Requirements...

Usage for drive in (quad) or fly in hunting base camp, so weight not too much of an issue
Must work over a fire (so not too sensitive to over-heating)
Must work on a camp stove without wasting too much fuel (so heavy cast iron is out)
Foldable handle nice, but not required
Decent size to allow for breakfast skillets for 3-4 hungry people
Nice to have: pour-out spout on one side

Thoughts? Suggestions?

Arctic Lake
05-15-2022, 09:22 PM
RBF . Maybe take a look a carbon steel pans by de Buyer
Arctic Lake

Gateholio
05-15-2022, 09:26 PM
Why would cast iron be out? Once it heats up (not much longer than a thin pan) it will retain heat for much longer than any thin pan, and you can keep the heat on low while still being able to cook stuff.

But if you still don't want cast iron, a heavy bottom stainless pan works good too. Unless you need folding handle. compact and light cooking gear, then regular stuff from a kitchen utensil store works just as good as any specialized "camp" utensils.

If you want a bit lighter option, one of the heavy aluminum pans from a kitchen store work great, too.

adriaticum
05-15-2022, 09:33 PM
Buy a titanium camping set

upperleftcoaster
05-15-2022, 09:39 PM
I got a good hot spot using my field #8 with my pocket rocket but I don’t recall it taking long to heat up. Plus cast iron is good right on coals of any fire and very durable. The lighter option is the carbon steel pans but I don’t have any experience with them (yet - have a de buyer on order!)

if I had to choose only one pan for base camp with no weight restrictions, it would be a cast Dutch oven. However you won’t find a happy medium between that and a light backpacking rig designed for isopropyl camp stoves. Unless you mean like a white gas rig or propane powered stove ? If weight is not an issue bring some extra fuel.

swampthing
05-17-2022, 06:20 PM
I was in a jetboat camp where a fella produced a canvas bag. Inside was a very large frypan of about 14"-16" across. It had a removable handle attached by dual wingnuts. Dont know where he got it from but it was a beauty! Four of us ate out of it for a week.

RiverOtter
07-02-2022, 01:06 PM
I was in a jetboat camp where a fella produced a canvas bag. Inside was a very large frypan of about 14"-16" across. It had a removable handle attached by dual wingnuts. Dont know where he got it from but it was a beauty! Four of us ate out of it for a week.
Little late to this thread, but the Lumberjack fry pans from Camp Chef are what I think Swampthing might have seen. They cover a lot of bases for cooking in bulk. If you were wanting to use it on a 2 burner type camp stove, you'd need to remove the lid and side guards.
A better propane type option for that pan is a single burner stove like the ones used for deep frying fish/turkeys. Using a 5 or 10 lb refillable propane tank would help with portability.

Hope you find what you're looking for.