PDA

View Full Version : Best way to deal with/convert anti-hunter

TheObserver
05-13-2022, 07:10 PM
Not sure where the better place to put this is, here or on open chat.

Anyways what are some of the best ways/talking points to bring up and debate or win over anti's or people who are unsure/on the fence

Dealing with one right now haha

cameron0518
05-13-2022, 07:46 PM
I would say that it depends on what angle their issues are stemming from.

GuloGal
05-13-2022, 08:08 PM
I think sharing a meal is a great way to go. Shawn Riley and Göran Ericsson have studied attitudes towards hunting quite a bit in Sweden and the US and found sharing harvested meat with non hunters increased acceptance. Sharing meals is one of humanity's oldest traditions so it makes sense this is hardwired into our social makeup. People get to see the other side not portrayed in anti-hunting media - the work, the food, the gratitude, the connection to the animal through the food. And once they've experienced it as food, it's hard to argue from a sustainability or welfare standpoint that you'd be better off eating a cow from a feedlot.

Gateholio
05-13-2022, 08:19 PM
If they eat meat, it's easy. You prefer to source your meat from free range organic sources while having minimal impact on the environment. They do the same thing you do but pay someone else to kill for them.

If they are vegans and worried about climate change, I refer you to Quick Dick

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aIG9ozEDPVg&t=20s

TheObserver
05-13-2022, 08:23 PM

This one in particular is a very overly emotional young woman who has been severely mislead on both Hunting and nutrition from Animals.

But I was asking more for in general but how would you take that one on?

Thinks killing is mean, underlying tone of animal life is worth more than human life, knows about gmo and the dangers of the gmo feed and conditions the animals are kept in and the drugs/hormones/antibiotics but that (my health) takes a back seat.

Thinks there is nothing wrong with a buddy of mine who is a vegan that has to rely on a cabinet full of expensive pills/powders and supplements because he refuses to eat an animal or anything that came from it.

adriaticum
05-13-2022, 08:23 PM
Divorce it

scoutlt1
05-13-2022, 08:44 PM
Might sound a bit harsh, but if someone is an adult and eats meat, and is opposed to hunting, then they aren't thinking all too clearly.

Vegetarian, who is fine with someone who eats meat, all good in my books.

Vegan, I don't understand and honestly don't have much time for.

I'm at the point where I don't really care what people eat and what their beliefs are. I'll do what I do, and they can do whatever they do. I eat meat. Someone doesn't eat meat...I couldn't care less.
Try and change my mind about what I eat and how I feel about shooting an animal, just eff off.

I used to feel differently and entered into discussions with people, but not anymore.

Just my two cents. :-)

Iron Glove
05-13-2022, 08:52 PM

Exactly. I've run into anti gun folks, found taking a few of them shooting at the range or the bush is a start, then go from there.
When I started hunting, relatively later in life, Daughter was anti hunting, she worked with animals in her profession. After I shot my first deer I called her to tell her and she asked "Did it die quickly?" to which I answered, quite honestly that it did. She said "that's OK then." A week later she and Son in Law were over for dinner, served venison stew and they loved it. Eventually, got him into hunting and she's totally fine with it.
Daughter worked with a lot of Peta folks in her occupation, chatted with one of them at Daughter's wedding. Hunting came up and I thought I was going to get attacked but she said "the E in Peta stands for Ethical and it sounds like you are an ethical hunter." She'll never hunt but she doesn't rail against it.
Attended an anti Grizzly hunt presentation in Hope, great presentation then I "identified" as a hunter. Stayed polite, is spite of some pretty rude remarks, explained my position. One Lady went off about how brutal it was, you know, the poor animal and such. I asked her if she ate chicken and of course she did. I calmly explained to her that the bears that get shot enjoyed a far better life than the chickens she ate and died a lot "nicer" too. We became friends, she appreciated the explanations and such, never hunted but had a better appreciation for it.
We used to take deer jerkey to our dog's agility classes, hand it out to the dog owners, always well appreciated. Nobody complained about the "poor deer". One guy didn't give the jerkey to his dog, he ate it, said it was too good to feed the dog. I'd say he wasn't an "anti."
Remember, you won't "win" by arguing, simply state the facts, stay calm and respectful.

Bugle M In
05-13-2022, 09:52 PM
Show them a before and after (or google time lapse) of all the logging in the past 30 years and ask what their house is made of.
Ask if they buy wine, bc wine for example, and tell them they grow it on prime MD winter range.
Adk if they play golf or enjoy resorts.
Tell them they have helped destroy habitat thru their glutenous ways and that it alone causes more death than anything else.
Tell them you are fighting to protect it for future generations. And if that doesn’t work, tell them to F off.
( hey, it’s Friday night on hbc Afterall!)

upperleftcoaster
05-13-2022, 10:06 PM
Watch the “stars in the sky” documentary by Steven rinella (on Netflix I believe), then discuss.

I work with a very liberal crew of folks, no one has been upset that I’m open about hunting. The grilling question was, “well do you eat what you kill?” - I said, “yes.”

I don’t like to distill down hunting to one point of enjoyment, it is a very complex range of activities, ethics, motivations, and emotions. Even though I don’t need to justify anything (ask someone why they golf), I’m happy to back up my experience.

I have fed last years bear to over 40 people now, all of which had not had bear meat. They all ate it knowingly and all were fine with the culinary experience and how the animal was sourced. Go figure.

Albafly
05-13-2022, 10:23 PM
If they are a climate activist, ask what the GHG emissions were from growing and shipping their soy beans from some far off land, and then compare that to the GHG emissions from your locally sourced protein.

Hunter gatherer
05-14-2022, 04:25 AM
If they eat meat show them a video of a slaughter house . Explain that that is not a humane way to die,much rather be walking through the woods then ,bang lights out.

Bugle M In
05-14-2022, 10:26 AM
Thing is, people who are on the fence will usually listen to points of view, if they are actually interested in the discussion.
Their biggest issue is that things are killed for meat and not just trophy.

Most Antis won’t listen, won’t shut to listen and are completely irrational and always think they are of superior intelligence.
How best to deal with them??!
Simple, if possible run ‘‘em over with your truck”.
Eay more time efficient anf effective, imo.

IronNoggin
05-14-2022, 12:38 PM
I think sharing a meal is a great way to go. Shawn Riley and Göran Ericsson have studied attitudes towards hunting quite a bit in Sweden and the US and found sharing harvested meat with non hunters increased acceptance. Sharing meals is one of humanity's oldest traditions so it makes sense this is hardwired into our social makeup. People get to see the other side not portrayed in anti-hunting media - the work, the food, the gratitude, the connection to the animal through the food. And once they've experienced it as food, it's hard to argue from a sustainability or welfare standpoint that you'd be better off eating a cow from a feedlot.

BINGO!! https://www.tnof.ca/styles/default/xenforo/smilies/Pozitive.gif
This is an easy sell to the fence sitters, or those only mildly apposed.
I have done this a lot in my life.

If they eat meat, it's easy. You prefer to source your meat from free range organic sources while having minimal impact on the environment. They do the same thing you do but pay someone else to kill for them.

Meshes with the above. Include the conversation of just how much habitat is taken out / forever disrupted to produce their (insert meat of choice here) while noting our way it remains as Nature intended.

Remember, you won't "win" by arguing, simply state the facts, stay calm and respectful.

Yep.
During one of the anti-grizz hunts rallies in Vic, Foxey & I attended.
Pretty obvious what and who we were wearing our Western Sunday Bests complete with stetsons.
Most were polite, and listened to what we had to say.
Some were downright belligerent & nasty.
The leaders apologized for that behavior and publicly thanked us for "acting like Gentlemen".
The Mounties took care of the worst of their lot, hustling them off for a little chat.

Stay calm & rational.
Don't sink to their level if they get out of hand.
Simply walk away from those that desire to confront and conflict.

Cheers,
Nog

breakaction
05-14-2022, 01:22 PM
As with any conflict - find a common ground and build on it. Be patient and understanding that people have different opinions, and some won’t change. I find a main point that sticks is the mutual respect and care for animals. Most hunters I know do it because they disagree with the large scale industrialization of the meat industry. I don’t want to see the conditions these animals are born into, and I’m sure most anti-hunters feel the same way.

Most don’t understand that harvest numbers and tags are issued/determined by the provincial government, and are largely science-based. I think just giving some awareness to general principals, that we don’t just go out and shoot whatever moves, can build on bridging them over to more mutual understanding, without getting into a shouting match or having the “right vs wrong” argument.

twoSevenO
05-14-2022, 01:40 PM
Watch the “stars in the sky” documentary by Steven rinella (on Netflix I believe), then discuss.

I work with a very liberal crew of folks, no one has been upset that I’m open about hunting. The grilling question was, “well do you eat what you kill?” - I said, “yes.”

I don’t like to distill down hunting to one point of enjoyment, it is a very complex range of activities, ethics, motivations, and emotions. Even though I don’t need to justify anything (ask someone why they golf), I’m happy to back up my experience.

I have fed last years bear to over 40 people now, all of which had not had bear meat. They all ate it knowingly and all were fine with the culinary experience and how the animal was sourced. Go figure.

x2 on this documentary. it was great and had great points from both sides. well worth the watch for hunters and non-hunters alike.

Personally the whole "who does your killing for you?" seems overly confrontational to me. I don't engage in these types of debates often, because i understand where some of them are coming from and i do agree that things like certain types of trapping can be unnecessarly cruel. As far as hunting goes, Rinella said it best "to not hunt is a relatively new concept in human evolution".

tigrr
05-14-2022, 04:37 PM
1 Take them shooting.
2 After shooting share a snack of some game animal at a BBQ.

What are your intentions towards this female? Future girlfriend or something?
Yes they can be swung away from their belief. Long, slow, process.

digger dogger
05-14-2022, 05:12 PM
Killing an animal with bullets or arrows, is way more humane, than being eaten alive by a predator.

Ron.C
05-14-2022, 05:40 PM
Killing an animal with bullets or arrows, is way more humane, than being eaten alive by a predator.

I really dislike the "humane" approach. It's hunting. We are trying to kill.

When I watched Rinella's "stars in the sky" some hunters on that program said the same. My stance (opinion) as a hunter, is it's a BS way to try and sell hunting.

Any non hunter I talk with would be very upset to know an animal suffers at my hands, but it does happen on occasion and I don't hide that fact. It's part of hunting.

I explain all aspects of the hunt (good and bad) including do my best to make sure whatever I shoot, dies as quickly as possible. But dead is dead and it's not always quick despite our best efforts to make sure it is.

wideopenthrottle
05-14-2022, 07:00 PM
there very few animals that die a quick and painless death.....I would say being shot would be one of the few ...

digger dogger
05-15-2022, 05:40 AM
Ron c, to bad I don’t see it like u do.
:-) good thing we’re all different.

TheObserver
05-15-2022, 01:02 PM
1 Take them shooting.
2 After shooting share a snack of some game animal at a BBQ.

What are your intentions towards this female? Future girlfriend or something?
Yes they can be swung away from their belief. Long, slow, process.

Hahaha no, I wouldn't get involved with a woman like that. Came up as I showed some pictures of a buck I got with a bow last year

TheObserver
05-15-2022, 01:03 PM
Good feedback! I have seen some of Steven Rinella's episodes never knew he had a documentary/movie will have to check it out

E-J Kooij
05-16-2022, 09:24 PM
I work at an organic farm and a lot of vegans work there. Pretty crazy, my boss and me are like far right conservatives, voting ppc, eating meat and shot like that. Anyway they always want the least pain to any creature, we just tell the vegans, hey if u plow a field u kill millions of worms, beetles, dust mites, etc. Then I explain why u need death for life and life for death, for example dead material and dead animals are the reason that soil is healthy And the reason why u can grow good food. Just use logic, and obviously the argument that natural is cruel works amazing, show a video of a pack of wolves tearing pieces of a moose or something. Good luck…

twoSevenO
05-16-2022, 10:01 PM
I work at an organic farm and a lot of vegans work there. Pretty crazy, my boss and me are like far right conservatives, voting ppc, eating meat and shot like that. Anyway they always want the least pain to any creature, we just tell the vegans, hey if u plow a field u kill millions of worms, beetles, dust mites, etc. Then I explain why u need death for life and life for death, for example dead material and dead animals are the reason that soil is healthy And the reason why u can grow good food. Just use logic, and obviously the argument that natural is cruel works amazing, show a video of a pack of wolves tearing pieces of a moose or something. Good luck…

Smart vegans are already aware of that. They know small animals are killed in the process of farming.

Hunter gatherer
05-17-2022, 05:43 AM
Smart vegans are already aware of that. They know small animals are killed in the process of farming.
Yes but are there any smart vegans,I've only met opinionated ones. JK

digger dogger
05-17-2022, 05:49 AM
Are the smart vegans, the ones that announce they are vegan, before they order at a restaurant?
:-) why the f*** do they gotta do that?

srthomas75
05-17-2022, 06:28 AM
Are the smart vegans, the ones that announce they are vegan, before they order at a restaurant?
probably because they forgot to wear their button that day. ?

twoSevenO
05-17-2022, 06:39 AM

Probably for the same reason hunters find it necessary to go to a hunting or gun show wearing their camo. Wtf is up with that? You're at a hunting show. We KNOW you hunt. Why you gotta be a total douche and show up in your full Sitka getup?

.330 Dakota
05-17-2022, 06:51 AM
This one in particular is a very overly emotional young woman who has been severely mislead on both Hunting and nutrition from Animals.

But I was asking more for in general but how would you take that one on?

Thinks killing is mean, underlying tone of animal life is worth more than human life, knows about gmo and the dangers of the gmo feed and conditions the animals are kept in and the drugs/hormones/antibiotics but that (my health) takes a back seat.

Thinks there is nothing wrong with a buddy of mine who is a vegan that has to rely on a cabinet full of expensive pills/powders and supplements because he refuses to eat an animal or anything that came from it.

Id be willing to bet if you did a "deep dive" into the contents of those pills, powders etc, you would find animal biproducts somewhere

Iron Glove
05-17-2022, 08:39 AM
Probably for the same reason hunters find it necessary to go to a hunting or gun show wearing their camo. Wtf is up with that? You're at a hunting show. We KNOW you hunt. Why you gotta be a total douche and show up in your full Sitka getup?

So the Wife can't find me amongst all the other camo wearers. :lol:

Redthies
05-17-2022, 09:23 AM

I regularly wear my First Lite non-camo wool stuff, because frankly, it is BY FAR the most comfortable clothing I’ve worn in decades, and one of my old ski bum friends is the owner/founder of FL and I like to support and spread the word on his business. I only wear camo when hunting turkeys or waterfowl though, but my only down jacket is Fusion, so that does get some non hunting wear. Would I go to an outdoor show in full camo? Uhhh, no.

Redthies
05-17-2022, 09:25 AM
So the Wife can't find me amongst all the other camo wearers. :lol:

Damn, might have to re-think the above^^^

wideopenthrottle
05-17-2022, 10:46 AM
not for the vegans...they are fanatics...did you know that there is vegan dental floss.....it means no bees wax on it...as vegans believe bees are enslaved to make products like honey or bees wax (funny how they seem to draw the line at eating food pollenated by bees as I imagine that would include most food!)
Id be willing to bet if you did a "deep dive" into the contents of those pills, powders etc, you would find animal biproducts somewhere

Redthies
05-17-2022, 12:07 PM
The hypocrisy and stupidity of humans knows no bounds. If vegans really wanted to make change, they would boycott the use of all products produced by normal food eating individuals. Every time they turn on the TV, or drive their car, or peddle their bikes, they are using products that earns theirs makers paychecks, which in turn can be used to buy meat for them to eat. So by buying a TV, you are killing a cow. Or enabling someone else to. It’s a ridiculous rabbit hole to go down!

TheObserver
05-17-2022, 04:56 PM

Wouldn't doubt it!!