PDA

View Full Version : First Spring Bear Help

dru88
05-08-2022, 05:57 PM
I am looking at getting out next weekend for a overnight bear hunt and try out my new MR Marshall pack. I have never tried my luck at spring bear so figured now is as good of a time as any. My question is where to go or at least what direction should I consider. I live in Delta and was hoping to take a half day friday and then get on my way. I have access to some property I can hunt up in-between Squamish and whistler but I am worried about the snow line the property is at 500m but climbs in a hurry. Or should I go towards chilliwack or hope.

Thanks

caddisguy
05-08-2022, 07:09 PM
Seen a few come out of Chilliwack this year. I'd wager Squamish would be good, Pemberton even better. A lot of the stuff around Hope and just up the Coq a little is washed out / closed, but there's still some access if you look around up the canyon a little. Starting to see a lot of bear pics on the hiking forums from Harrison (east and west) so in short, pretty much anywhere is good.

It just takes some poking around to find some grass and dandelions away from the crowds. Once you find spots like that, check for patches of grass that are squared off like they were grazed with a weed whacker. If you find a spot like that, or better a few within a couple km's as the crow flies, just poke in and out of those places and good chance you'll see a bear.

Looking for the habitat, terrain, food etc is more important than which MU, because these pockets exist in every MU. 500-700M elevation is probably really productive right about now. South facing slopes and sun exposed flats.

Said it a bunch on here but worth a repeat... it's best to keep the eyeballs looking for and confirming sign to identify these pockets to start versus hiking or driving around hoping to spot a bear.

Have fun out there! Might try to get out on of these days too.

cameron0518
05-08-2022, 07:37 PM
Pick a spot and have at it. Bears will be in most areas right now so you can't go too wrong. If you don't see any sign, move to another spot.

srupp
05-09-2022, 11:39 AM
hmm no experience in the areas suggested.
bears have been w/o food for months..look for the greens grass grows best in areas clear of trees..no good food under canopy of trees.
think hard to get to end of a logging road..remote..they dont like to be disturbed from their mealSSSS...look for poop..either a bear or a liberal..
first thing in AM..DARK 30 for grizzlies....10 am on for black bears..last hour for bigger bears last 15 minutes before dark for BIG bears.you should be needing a flashlight on the way home.
most miss the best golden time to be successful.
fence line..usually divides agricultural from crown..walk the fence line look for hair /trail into grass..you wont get a chance while on your couch.
watch both wind or thermals..wont see a bear that smells you first.
BIG tip...get remote bears along roads..get pushed out and back..cramps their eating style.
so remote then open..watch wind/thermals..stay till dark..
worked for me 45 plus years.
cheers..straight shooting
Srupp

ratherbefishin
05-09-2022, 10:00 PM
Just don’t make the mistake of shooting a bear DOWNHILL from anywhere..’nice ‘ bears are on logging roads or uphil from logging roads ,the rest are ‘look at ‘ bears

dru88
05-10-2022, 07:18 AM
Thanks guys. There happens to be a old deactivated road behind the property I have access to sounds like that might be a good spot to start looking.

srupp
05-10-2022, 10:32 AM
hmm that deactivated rd..sun hits it first being no tree cover..sun removes snow..allows ground to heat allows grass to grow..= food attracts bears.....also bears are lazy use the line of least resistance..easiest.
good luck
Steven

caddisguy
05-10-2022, 02:49 PM
Just don’t make the mistake of shooting a bear DOWNHILL from anywhere..’nice ‘ bears are on logging roads or uphil from logging roads ,the rest are ‘look at ‘ bears

Bonus if they roll down the hill and make for a shorter drag!

TBH it's not that bad unless one plans to drag it out whole, then good luck. Boning it out, taking 2 trips... walk in the park.

dru88
05-12-2022, 10:11 AM
Anyone use electric predator calls for bear? As far as I can tell it's legal

Ron.C
05-12-2022, 10:23 AM
Anyone use electric predator calls for bear? As far as I can tell it's legal

Illegal. Look at the "its unlawful to " section, page 15 para 39.

dru88
05-12-2022, 11:12 AM
Thanks Ron.C I don't know how I missed that.

Rob Chipman
05-12-2022, 01:15 PM
A group of us are heading up Pemberton way on a bear hunt this weekend.

PM me if you'd like to tag along. I'm leaving tomorrow.

dru88
05-12-2022, 07:05 PM
Thanks Rob maybe next time as I have had some family stuff come up and will have to wait at least one more week before I get out.
But thanks again for the offer

caddisguy
05-12-2022, 07:26 PM
Thanks Ron.C I don't know how I missed that.

Sometimes when I don't think there's anything going on I just blow on a blade of grass erratically between my thumbs. It's always readily available in places spring bears hang out. I've had a couple bears come in within 20-30 minutes after the set. No idea if that actually had anything to do with them coming in. Neither came in hot, just feeding so perhaps coincidence. Sure cures bordom though.

Some guys on here report success with rabbit calls and bears coming in on a mission.

Starting out though, I'd hold off on the calling until you have found proven bear pockets with sign all over.

It's that time of year that in addition to nipped grass you should start seeing hit dandelions and fresh broken saplings with hair on them, fresh torn bark off stumps, etc.

srupp
05-13-2022, 04:14 PM
hmm yes distressed rabit calls work...as do honey burns...

just heard momma black bear on Horsefly rd by Bells lk rd had 5 cubs..3 were on the side of the road dead..looks like a vehicle strike..good luck to the momma and 2 remaining cubs..
srupp

twoSevenO
05-16-2022, 10:15 PM
Lots of snow. Lots of washouts. Don't wvwn bother with your spots above a few hundred meters down here in the LM it seems. Bloody spring is closer to winter down here! Grrrrrr.

How's the snow in 8-5? Is it also sticking more than last year or about same?

caddisguy
05-17-2022, 02:34 PM
Lots of snow. Lots of washouts. Don't wvwn bother with your spots above a few hundred meters down here in the LM it seems. Bloody spring is closer to winter down here! Grrrrrr.

Tomorrow looks interesting. Freezing temps at low elevations again, up to 30-45mm of "rain" expected in the local weather reports. Could be anything from 2 feet of snow, to a mix of snow and rain. It looks like the bulk of it will come during the day, so a bit of snow, then a lot of rain, bit more snow then rain again. Might make for a few more washouts.

Rob Chipman
05-17-2022, 02:38 PM
Thanks Rob maybe next time as I have had some family stuff come up and will have to wait at least one more week before I get out.
But thanks again for the offer

No problem. If you keep trying to network somebody on here will eventually successfully fix you up.

Rob Chipman
05-17-2022, 02:42 PM
hmm yes distressed rabit calls work...as do honey burns...

just heard momma black bear on Horsefly rd by Bells lk rd had 5 cubs..3 were on the side of the road dead..looks like a vehicle strike..good luck to the momma and 2 remaining cubs..
srupp

I'd like to learn more about those. I tried them last weekend. One sow with a cub was very interested, another bear was not interested at all, and maybe decided to bail even faster because of it.

Last year, in very steep country, we saw three shooter bears at the same time, but the closest was 700 yds straight line, and way too far if you factor in the distance over ground - I didn't have a call then but boy oh boy did the idea seem attractive. If we could have gotten one of those bears to walk over to us it would have been awesome!

Rob Chipman
05-17-2022, 02:43 PM

I don't know about 8-5, but around Pemberton the grass is green pretty high up this week, and noticeably higher than the week before. It's green *almost* to the top of the Hurley.

Iron Glove
05-17-2022, 05:36 PM

There are no bear in 8-5 and all the roads are blocked with snow, no point coming anywhere near here. ;)
Did see a small bear sitting beside #3 just before Allison Pass yesterday, tourist bait.
Snow is leaving quickly in the hills around the cabin, more concerned right now with river flooding than bears.

Deer_Slayer
05-17-2022, 08:28 PM
Best advice yet!

Carrollizer
05-18-2022, 01:29 PM
Good info on here, I'll be heading up past the Hurley since there's about 10' of snow at the summit according to isurvivedthehurley.com as of yesterday.
Also looking for a bachelor party camp spot for the summer so we can fly-fish the Lillooet.
Hoping to get into some bear action