PDA

View Full Version : Vehicle requirements for travelling on FSR's

machog
04-27-2022, 09:57 PM
Hey folks - what are some things you check for when picking a vehicle to take on FSR/logging roads

I am assuming a honda civic wont cut it :)

Drillbit
04-27-2022, 10:22 PM
Load Range E tires.

Steeleco
04-28-2022, 05:02 AM
For some it's not what they drive it's their ability to drive. The more capable you are at getting into the back country the more your alone when shit goes sideways! AWD at a minimum and as stated tires rated for that terrain. What you put on those tires is all up to you!

dakoda62
04-28-2022, 05:21 AM
Tires, and a rule i use is 2 wd in 4 wd out lol.

SR80
04-28-2022, 05:37 AM
honda civic would make it up most FSR's believe it or not.

russm
04-28-2022, 05:43 AM
Seen plenty of small cars on fsrs

Arctic Lake
04-28-2022, 07:03 AM
With any FSR adventure or trip out of the city . Let someone know where your going and when you expect to be back !
Arctic Lake

Treed
04-28-2022, 07:13 AM
Truck mounted radio or handheld if you are on active FSRs.

KBC
04-28-2022, 07:30 AM
Tools, everything you need to spend a few unplanned days in the woods, extra water, food and beer.

northof49
04-28-2022, 08:04 AM
2-way radio with correct frequencies and know how to use it to properly call your miles and clear vehicles. Lots of threads on here about 2-way radios.

Bernie O
04-28-2022, 08:15 AM
Common sense, Courtesy to other drivers, Especially commercial vehicles, And driving ability are more important than your actual vehicle.

wideopenthrottle
04-28-2022, 08:54 AM
Toyota...mic drop

tigrr
04-28-2022, 09:05 AM
On a dry day most vehicles can make it in. But then after raining for the rest of the day, few make it out. My E350 van made it in but oh boy if I didn't have a come along and 100' of rope I wouldn't have made it out. Had to winch the van several times to get the front end back up in the center of the road. A few pucker moments.

Bugle M In
04-28-2022, 09:26 AM
Radios have made a huge difference.
Make sure you have a working spare tire for car and a trailer if need be.
Wrench and socket set with screw drivers and pliers.
Shovel and chainsaw.
A come along.
Those are always in my vehicle.

machog
04-28-2022, 09:46 AM
Thanks for the feedback folks, that really helps

ACE
04-28-2022, 09:56 AM
Have enough clothing/blankets, etc. so that you can spend the night without fire. Wear/have footwear that's good enough for you to be able to walk out if need be.
Suitable tires, VHF/or?, trip plan left with someone, and Cheezies!

hawk-i
04-28-2022, 10:13 AM
couple bottles of green slim, tire inflator, tire patch kit, lug nut wrench, jack etc, or buy Toyo M-55 tires :)

J_T
04-28-2022, 10:58 AM
Knowing if you are recreational traffic, you likely don't have the right of way.

Eyes up, pay attention if there is industrial activity on the road, know which ditch to dive in to.

Or an FM radio....

snakeplain
04-28-2022, 11:20 AM
You’re a Democrat, go electric car, quiet, not disturbing wildlife, awesome way to go, stealth mode all the time.

S.W.A.T.
04-28-2022, 04:15 PM
2-way radio with correct frequencies and know how to use it to properly call your miles and clear vehicles. Lots of threads on here about 2-way radios.

Can not stress how important this is

ACE
04-28-2022, 05:10 PM
Can not stress how important this is.

A mobile or a handheld VHF with the Resource Road (RR) channels. The sequence of your call points . . . road name, and up/down, empty/full.

SSG-man
04-28-2022, 05:34 PM
One thing that always concerned me was fuel economy and the vehicles range ability.

HappyJack
04-28-2022, 05:50 PM
Pepper spray for those long walks out in the dark. Go out on Sundays, no need for a radio at all.

ACE
04-28-2022, 06:18 PM
Go out on Sundays, no need for a radio at all.

Some outfits haul seven days a week.

landphil
04-28-2022, 06:41 PM
You’re a Democrat, go electric car, quiet, not disturbing wildlife, awesome way to go, stealth mode all the time.

Just be aware that any fast charger you find will likely be brown or black, and furry. :mrgreen:

machog
04-28-2022, 06:43 PM

Just be aware that any fast charger you find will likely be brown or black, and furry. :mrgreen:

What does that mean?

machog
04-28-2022, 06:45 PM
Where do you find the frequency for each FSR?

What info are you listening for on the radio?

machog
04-28-2022, 06:47 PM

Who said anything about being a democrat?

Treed
04-28-2022, 07:29 PM
Check out the regional FLNRO website. Most places are using resource road channels vs having a different frequency for every damn spur. E.g., RR 1 is always the same frequency wherever you see it posted you use it. There are still exceptions but most places are on board.

Dour
04-28-2022, 08:04 PM
There is a place out of the states that do up Diesel smart cars They are on 31” muds. And the suspension is killer. You could drive all weekend on 20$ And it’s roof racked to stick the 20 pounds of meat it will hold lol All jokes aside. They are bad ass. Little toys.

Dour
04-28-2022, 08:05 PM
Every active logging road will have the channels posted and the start and any major spurs

Ron.C
04-28-2022, 09:01 PM
Hey folks - what are some things you check for when picking a vehicle to take on FSR/logging roads

Safety stuff like communications aside,

Depends on the FSR. a couple we use to access hunting areas are in better shape then most Alberta highways. :wink:

I could have driven my Hyundai Accent to the places I parked my truck where hunted and shot my last 2 elk and last 1/2 dozen deer. We see pleanty of cars of FSR's that do just fine. Trucks or SUV with 4 wheel drive are better for obvious reasons, but common sense and not driving like an &$$#@!^ goes a long way.

When the FSR turns into a narrow spur, that turns into a skidder trail, that turns into a mess and you want to keep going, shorter wheelbases make it easier to manouver when things get tight. My 3/4 ton duramax longbox is great for cargo carrying,towing, power....but wont go where my little 1/2 ton short box did.

If I didn't have a quad, and my truck was my only way to get around the FSR's--->Spurs--->skidder trails---> deactivated roads etc., I'd look for a small 4x4 pickup like a tacoma, ford ranger ........

Tires- regardless of vehicle, FSR's can be hell on tires (even good ones). Make sure you spare is in good shape and I always carry a plug kit/compressor and can of tire sealant as well. (I've had lots of flats and more then 1 day with 2). I also now carry chains (V-bar, not the crappy wire ones) all the time. Can be clear and good conditions at the bottom and turns into wet, snotty, snowy mess as you go up in elevation. Only take a few minutes to put on if needed and the extra traction can be huge, not just to go up further but to come back down safe. That slick mud can also be a bitch and chains can help.

landphil
04-28-2022, 09:10 PM
What does that mean?

https://thumbs.gfycat.com/GrouchyEvenBluetickcoonhound-max-1mb.gif

The kind of charge I’m referring to. Just joking around.

machog
04-28-2022, 09:20 PM
https://thumbs.gfycat.com/GrouchyEvenBluetickcoonhound-max-1mb.gif

The kind of charge I’m referring to. Just joking around.

LOL! That’s hilarious.

mooseknuckler
04-28-2022, 09:46 PM
My old 2004 pontiac vibe brought home 2 mountain goats on successful hunts with my oldest two kids. Just taker easy and know the limitations.

sky-gunner
04-28-2022, 10:41 PM
Recovery gear, chainsaw, first aid kit, good tires, radio, headlamp and someone in town knowing where your going and when your coming back. Usually take a shotgun to, have had to walk out 17km at night once after putting her in a very steep ditch, that sucked lol, but could see and felt safe lol

Rob Chipman
04-29-2022, 12:05 AM
I'm surprised nobody's giving you makes, models and years. What you need is an '03 Toyota Tundra with just shy of a half a million klicks. I've been trying to kill mine since...'03. Still gets the job done.

sky-gunner
04-29-2022, 02:41 AM
Reliable, good tires

HappyJack
04-29-2022, 06:38 AM
Just don't head out there in a Ford, the Tundra pickups are awesome!

Redthies
04-29-2022, 07:14 AM
I'm surprised nobody's giving you makes, models and years. What you need is an '03 Toyota Tundra with just shy of a half a million klicks. I've been trying to kill mine since...'03. Still gets the job done.

‘03 Sequoia here with 1/3 million on it. It’s still like new!

Redthies
04-29-2022, 07:21 AM

Using radios that have the RR frequencies requires a federal license. You can get the info on how to go about getting one from your local HAM radio supplier, or via federal govt websites.

If you guys are going to use radios without licensing, (lots do) make sure you are aware of proper radio etiquette and protocol. A bunch of people out there “playing” on RR freqs will get the commercial users complaining to CRTC, and that will result in cops, COs etc looking for unlicensed radios during checks, and believe me, you do NOT want to be caught with an illegal radio. The fines are steep…

mooseknuckler
04-29-2022, 07:38 AM
https://i.imgur.com/yhnZqUL.jpg

emerson
04-29-2022, 09:08 AM
Google vhf radio suppliers. You can rent one for $75/month. Call “pickup up/down at (whatever km the sign you are driving past says). I often say the name of the road I’m on at the end too. When you hear what sounds like semi calling kms and getting close to meeting you, find a wide spot and slow down or stop until they pass. Don’t clog up the radio with your chatty bullshit. People are trying to make a living while you are on vacation.

HappyJack
04-29-2022, 06:40 PM
Using radios that have the RR frequencies requires a federal license. You can get the info on how to go about getting one from your local HAM radio supplier, or via federal govt websites.

If you guys are going to use radios without licensing, (lots do) make sure you are aware of proper radio etiquette and protocol. A bunch of people out there “playing” on RR freqs will get the commercial users complaining to CRTC, and that will result in cops, COs etc looking for unlicensed radios during checks, and believe me, you do NOT want to be caught with an illegal radio. The fines are steep…

I prefer to just follow a commercial vehicle in, don't require a radio or special licenses or have to worry about some dufus writing me tickets.

Muledeercrazy2
04-30-2022, 09:28 AM
Can not stress how important this is

why is this? I have had one in my truck for 20 years with access to all the frequencies and rarely do i find it beneficial. On some very active roads by granisle with fresh snow a few years back it was worth its weight in gold, but 99% of the time i would think its way better to have a spot, or some good emergency gear in case you spend the night in the bush unexpectedly.

landphil
04-30-2022, 12:32 PM
Just don't head out there in a Ford, the Tundra pickups are awesome!

Hey now. Nothing wrong with walking. :p

machog
04-30-2022, 02:04 PM
Are these commercial vehicles only on actively logged roads?

How can you tell which roads are active and which arent? And is there a way to tell online without going there?

Is there a disadvantage going down the non active roads? I would think all the commercial activity would reduce your chances of finding animals in the vicinity. I’d rather go down the non active roads if possible

notahypocrite
04-30-2022, 03:34 PM

LOL, people look at me funny when i pull up to some places with a nissan altima. "like how did you get that thing here?"

Rob Chipman
04-30-2022, 03:48 PM
LOL, people look at me funny when i pull up to some places with a nissan altima. "like how did you get that thing here?"

I used to that with a '72 Celica. :-)

Livewire322
04-30-2022, 03:54 PM
Are these commercial vehicles only on actively logged roads?

How can you tell which roads are active and which arent? And is there a way to tell online without going there?

Is there a disadvantage going down the non active roads? I would think all the commercial activity would reduce your chances of finding animals in the vicinity. I’d rather go down the non active roads if possible

The disadvantage of non-active roads is that they aren’t always maintained - i.e., they can get rough. That written, some companies haul over some nasty gravel…

I know plenty of guys that have taken game from areas with active logging operations - some of them were the ones driving the logging trucks and crew “crummy” trucks. The animals have little choice these days, roads and quad trails go bloody well everywhere, at least in the southern end of the province, and where the roads and quad tracks don’t go, the hikers and mountain bikers go - if animals left those areas, there wouldn’t be any animals left. Reality is, most of the game just become nocturnal and/or skittish, and those that don’t, end up dead.

TeeVee
04-30-2022, 08:57 PM
Hate to be the one to say this but if you have to ask this question on a forum you probably shouldn't be on back roads.

machog
04-30-2022, 09:37 PM
Hate to be the one to say this but if you have to ask this question on a forum you probably shouldn't be on back roads.
I am trying to find these answers BEFORE I go on the backroads. And which question in particular are you talking about? I asked tonnes.

Greenthumbed
05-01-2022, 06:45 AM

You will find the frequency of each FSR that you are driving on a sign at the beginning of the road. It will usually tell you the frequency and also the RR #. It will also tell you the road name and sometimes what to call when using the radio.
You will be listening for other users of the same road travelling in the opposite direction. If you are starting “up” the FSR you should be listing for anyone calling “down” the same FSR. For instance, if you are travelling up the road you might call “5 up B-Road”. This means you are at the 5 km travelling up the B-Road. If you hear someone call “6 down B-road”, you should probably pull your Honda Civic off to the side of the road until the oncoming traffic is clear.

Btw, I drive a 98’ Jeep Gr. Cherokee. You want to have a vehicle that will carry you, your gear and whatever your successful hunt may have given you home.

srthomas75
05-01-2022, 07:33 AM

This is true in a way. And I don't think it's trying to be an unfriendly response. But most people would learn their limits by experience. [ especially vehicle travel ] I would suggest that you spend the weekend seeing where your vehicle can go. Then if you are still in question you could inquire about specific FSR's if you are tring to figure out access to a certain area. To plan a trip with only keyboard knowledge might be a recipe for disaster??

drift6969
05-01-2022, 09:48 AM
Have a mountain bike strapped to the civic in case you have a breakdown.

machog
05-01-2022, 10:08 AM
Got it folks, just trying to maximize my knowledge before I head out

Will definitely be scouting alot over the next few months

Ferenc
05-01-2022, 12:56 PM
And .... before you head out let someone know of your plans ... once you know we’re your headed always have a plan B... and let someone know of this ... check the weather report before heading out.. last few years have been crazy with fires and flooding .. just because the day looks good to head out .... these days things change fast.

RackStar
05-01-2022, 01:30 PM
Clearly you need a Tacoma

walks with deer
05-01-2022, 10:21 PM
You day pack should alway be on any mountain excursion period.