PDA

View Full Version : 6-14a winter mountain goat

ryanb
11-20-2007, 04:28 PM
I noticed this one in the regs this year...Just curious if anyone knows anything about this area. Is there any particular reason this one area stays open till Feb?

Thanks

Orangethunder
11-20-2007, 05:47 PM
A bunch of the region 6 LEH's are open pretty late too. Not sure the rationale but it makes for some nice capes and at times pretty tough hunting. From what I have seen of that area it is more than a bit sketchy at times. You can probably hunt some of it safely but looking up from the highway its nuts:eek:!! Good spot for a big goat though.

ryanb
11-20-2007, 07:38 PM
The reason I don't quite get the season is that it's basically right next to Stewart and access as far as I know is not that bad...I've never really looked the area over that well for goats before though.

Anyone hunted this area before?

Avalanche123
11-20-2007, 10:09 PM
6-14 A is not close to Stewart at all. This area is south of the new Greenville to Kincolith highway on the south side of the Nass river where there is no real access other than by boat. It also encompasses some roaded area via logging roads but there is no logging activity in this area right now. There are definitely some easier areas in region 6 that are way easier to get to.
As far as hunting goats around Stewart, access is very limited in the winter and the hazard can be significant due to avalanche concerns. (I know this area very well).
I have a goat tag for 6-9J and that access is very respectable.

BCbillies
11-20-2007, 10:25 PM
Area has limited southern exposure, tons of snow and ice, lots of vertical cliffs, a river crossing along most of it, etc. If it's anything like last winter you won't get too far off the road, if at all! The extended seasons gives the locals something to do during the winter months when they can't get out of town. I wouldn't travel any great distance to check this area out :wink:

Has anybody taken any goats this fall? Aside from Dana's it's been pretty skinny in the photo department. I had my hopes up that this thread had a photo to share. My buddy and I managed a young billy in early October as we were getting low on sausage, but otherwise its been a tough go with the crappy weather. Great weather this week with the rut on but no LEH! Hey Ramshot, you should be here right now filling your tag. I was good to go all week!

BCbillies
11-20-2007, 10:32 PM
6-14 A is not close to Stewart at all. This area is south of the new Greenville to Kincolith highway on the south side of the Nass river where there is no real access other than by boat. It also encompasses some roaded area via logging roads but there is no logging activity in this area right now. There are definitely some easier areas in region 6 that are way easier to get to.
As far as hunting goats around Stewart, access is very limited in the winter and the hazard can be significant due to avalanche concerns. (I know this area very well).
I have a goat tag for 6-9J and that access is very respectable.

See Map F20 on page 69 of the regs. It is near Stewart but not worth the drive - avalanches aside! It is the only open area in region 6 beyond November 15th.

ARC
11-20-2007, 11:07 PM
Has anybody taken any goats this fall? Aside from Dana's it's been pretty skinny in the photo department. I had my hopes up that this thread had a photo to share. My buddy and I managed a young billy in early October as we were getting low on sausage, but otherwise its been a tough go with the crappy weather. Great weather this week with the rut on but no LEH! Hey Ramshot, you should be here right now filling your tag. I was good to go all week!

I took a small billy at the end of September. I will try to post a pic in the next few days. He was only an 8" billy, with 5" bases. I would love to see some more pics posted as well.

Avalanche123
11-21-2007, 09:18 AM
Yep I stand corrected.....(looked at the wrong map). That said, it still is tough country. There are some old roads into the area but they pretty much stay at valley bottom. (Bitter Creek, Old log dump).

David Heitsman
11-21-2007, 01:57 PM
I "Greenpeaced" a good goat on the Tuchodi this year. Nothing wrong with him and he had great trophy potential but I have three goats now and can't stand the meat taste.

If you're ever Abbotsford way, stop by my office as I have a life size goat by Fur and Feathers on the wall. It was a small one that I shot by mistake
but still honoured him with full mounting.

There was two groups of 4 goats about 10 yards apart on this bank and I had picked the best billy out making a note of his clock position on my spotting scope. I leaned up from the scope and hoisted my rifle on the
12:00 goat and squeezed off only to look up and see the wrong goat hit the moss.

As I hiked through the canyon over to him, my main concern was that I hadn't taken a nanny as there were several in the groups. On approach the first thing I did was lift a leg and fortunately there was a nut sack.
I know that's how it happens but didn't need it to happen to me.

BCbillies
11-21-2007, 06:02 PM
Other than the odd billy taken during the rut, the family and I have taken quite a liking to goat meat. If you like you can PM me some photos of the lifesize and any other goat mounts - I try to limit my trips down south to maybe one per year! 10 years ago I took the wrong goat... ended up with a 3 year old billy rather than the bruiser that was standing close by!

threedhunter
11-21-2007, 06:08 PM
i lived in stewat and hunted the area you ask about.there is limited access to that area via bitter creek and dunwell. you will have to climb high to get goats if you go now. should go in august/september to get best visibility as there are only two seasons there, winter and monsoon.if you go now snow may be not so deep but slopes are hazardous and steep.goats could be usin valley bottoms to change slopes, so could catch one crossing the floor otherwise its spot and stalk.basicaly you look from the bear glacier to the point south of stewart onthe canal known as marmot point towards the south. all the high ground is open now. when i lived there , from bitter creek to marmot was leh, the goats are not big bodied as they are inland but some big billies do come off there every year, just ask fergy, he'll tell you all kinds of stories of him and his sons gtting goats around there.:p

BCbillies
11-22-2007, 06:27 PM
the goats are not big bodied as they are inland but some big billies do come off there every year, just ask fergy, he'll tell you all kinds of stories of him and his sons gtting goats around there.:p

True, Fergy and the boys have done well over the years in the area! If you live that close to the goats - can spot them from the living room, make your move when the skies break for half a day, and have some determination I like your chances. If you have to drive one or two days to get there and its late in the season you may have to spend many a day hunkered in the tent or watching the tube at the King Edward! But that's hunting and we've all been there especially for goat and sheep ... and we keep going back for more. :lol:

bruin
11-22-2007, 08:39 PM
Here's a goat pic from this guiding season, mature billy had himself a nice little hole all to himself, imagine his surprise when we showed up!

http://i198.photobucket.com/albums/aa67/bruin_photo/IMG_0127.jpg?t=1195788990 (javascript:void(0);)