PDA

View Full Version : Browning Sticky Stock

JIL_24/7
04-18-2022, 10:34 AM
Hello friends. Just wondering if any of you have had any issues with Browning's Duratouch stock? A few weeks ago I went to get my BLR out of the gun safe and my hand literally stuck to it. The whole thing was like glue. I started to explore finding a new stock, but came across a group in the States that had taken Browning to task on it. Turns out Browning buckled to the pressure and will fix any sticky stocks. I sent my rifle out a couple weeks ago and received a service number last Friday. They say it is a 4 week turnaround, but I'm wondering if anyone here has sent one in and could give me a first hand idea of how long it takes. Also, I posted this here just in case some of ya'll thought you were the only one who had this issue. I had nearly spent a lot of money to fix it myself. Now I must turn my attention to bear hunting!

tigrr
04-18-2022, 10:58 AM
You would just send the stock, not the whole rifle right. Might never see it again if CBSA gets their mitts on it.

JIL_24/7
04-18-2022, 11:03 AM
You do need to send the entire rifle and magazine. It gets sent to Quebec.

geo guy
04-18-2022, 11:15 AM
I had to do this just over a year ago for my hells canyon speed. There were issues, but they weren't necessarily browning's fault and they took care of it.

It initially took a week for the gun to get to Quebec with the shipping label they provided, then 6 weeks for it to get sent back. Here's where the issues started. They used Canada post express.

Canada post did not provide a tracking number. They also dropped the gun off without a signature. (Seriously WTF Canada Post). The package containing the gun got stolen from my front door while I wasnt home and I was unaware they had even delivered it until I called to ask about when I would receive it. Browning was absolutely furious with Canada Post as they marked the package as do not leave without signature and paid extra for the service.

The good part was Browning replaced the gun no questions asked and handled dealing with the RCMP.
The bad was it took 4 additional months to get a replacement rifle and they shipped it with Canada post again. However we were able to get them to hold it at a processing facility. I got it 2 days before a hunting trip, had to get the scope mounted and sighted in on very short notice.

They told me they want the entire gun so they can mount it and test it and make sure everything works right.

Mudsey
04-18-2022, 11:15 AM
I have a Duratouch stock on my A-bolt that is really sticky. Would be interested in the contact information and details of where you sent it in.
Thnx
Mudsey

Nechako Outdoors
04-18-2022, 11:18 AM
We have had a few sticky duratouchXbolt stocks replaced for customers. They've just sent a current model replacement stock to the store. Maybe it's different for dealers? The new stocks come with no swivel studs or recoil pad FYI, so don't turf your old stock until the new one arrives

Foxton Gundogs
04-18-2022, 11:26 AM
Browning will replace the stock but my buddy sprayed his 2 with BPS 12s with a good quality acrylic 3 yrs ago, still going strong no stick whatsoever

JIL_24/7
04-18-2022, 11:29 AM
I had to do this just over a year ago for my hells canyon speed. There were issues, but they weren't necessarily browning's fault and they took care of it.

It initially took a week for the gun to get to Quebec with the shipping label they provided, then 6 weeks for it to get sent back. Here's where the issues started. They used Canada post express.

Canada post did not provide a tracking number. They also dropped the gun off without a signature. (Seriously WTF Canada Post). The package containing the gun got stolen from my front door while I wasnt home and I was unaware they had even delivered it until I called to ask about when I would receive it. Browning was absolutely furious with Canada Post as they marked the package as do not leave without signature and paid extra for the service.

The good part was Browning replaced the gun no questions asked and handled dealing with the RCMP.
The bad was it took 4 additional months to get a replacement rifle and they shipped it with Canada post again. However we were able to get them to hold it at a processing facility. I got it 2 days before a hunting trip, had to get the scope mounted and sighted in on very short notice.

They told me they want the entire gun so they can mount it and test it and make sure everything works right.

Wow. Just wow.

JIL_24/7
04-18-2022, 11:29 AM
We have had a few sticky duratouchXbolt stocks replaced for customers. They've just sent a current model replacement stock to the store. Maybe it's different for dealers? The new stocks come with no swivel studs or recoil pad FYI, so don't turf your old stock until the new one arrives

I was kind of afraid of that. I guess I should have taken my recoil pad off before I sent it.

JIL_24/7
04-18-2022, 11:30 AM
I have a Duratouch stock on my A-bolt that is really sticky. Would be interested in the contact information and details of where you sent it in.
Thnx
Mudsey
service.canada@browning.com

SuperYeti
04-18-2022, 11:31 AM
Browning rifles are bedded from the factory, this is part of the reason it has to be sent to a warranty facility as they bed the rifle into the new stock. Reliable Gun also handles Browning warranty and can do the duratouch replacement.

JIL_24/7
04-18-2022, 11:31 AM
service.canada@browning.com
Or talk to Nechako Outdoors apparently!

whitlers
04-18-2022, 12:12 PM
I had mine done at Reliable. Hated that duratouch garbage

Machinist
04-18-2022, 02:49 PM
They say its bedding but not really they put a dab of some kind of white filler at the recoil lug and at the back of the action its pretty lame , i took mine apart and did a proper bedding job and it made a huge difference in the accuracy of my X bolt

Browning rifles are bedded from the factory, this is part of the reason it has to be sent to a warranty facility as they bed the rifle into the new stock. Reliable Gun also handles Browning warranty and can do the duratouch replacement.

whitlers
04-18-2022, 09:12 PM
They say its bedding but not really they put a dab of some kind of white filler at the recoil lug and at the back of the action its pretty lame , i took mine apart and did a proper bedding job and it made a huge difference in the accuracy of my X bolt

Agreed. The factory bedding job was suspect

BowsUp
09-07-2023, 07:25 PM
Maxus Stalker shotgun just got too gooey with leaves sticking to it. Goo Gone and scraped off gobs of Duratouch with the back of an Olfa blade. Then Cdn. Tire auto parts cleaner, lint free micro fiber cloth and some elbow grease. About two hours total and it is smooth with no stickiness. Needless to say, avoid the recoil pad.

JIL_24/7
09-08-2023, 09:18 AM
Update in case anyone was curious. I got the rifle back finally, but had to have it redone in a different pattern. Overall I am very disappointed in Browning over the whole episode. I got the rifle back well into Fall. Would suggest everyone go to local shop.

Machinist
09-08-2023, 10:35 PM
I recieved the New Stock from Browning a month ago , its a decent stock , its a more glossier black than the origional Dura Touch stock ,Its fairly stiff so should work well I bedded it myself and am getting it out to the range this weekend to sight it in , Taking off the recoil pad is a pain , the screws are really tight and you need a good quality Philips driver to get them out , I used some shorter ones to re install the pad , Browning's customer support has a lot to be desired I was told I would have the replacement stock in Feb of this year and did not receive it until this August so don't expect to receive your replacement stock in a hurry.

Getbent
09-09-2023, 09:44 AM

Freaking clowns at CP…just brutal.

DeerWhisperer
09-11-2023, 08:36 PM
Nechako outdoors replaced my xbolt stock no questions asked. They had the Browning rep bring in a stock for me, I paid for a cushy recoil pad and some sling studs and never looked back. My abolt just had the sticky stock at the beginning of summer. I found a replacement Browning stock from Western gun parts for $150. It is just synthetic no duratouch. I dropped it off at Corlane to get painted, and bedded. I am pretty excited to see how it will turn out.

REMINGTON JIM
09-11-2023, 09:17 PM
Easy remedy fir u BROWNING. GUYS ! Just But a TIKKA T3X ! :D RJ

leftfield
10-30-2023, 09:07 AM
I just had mine done at Reliable in Vancouver. I dropped it of , gave them my info and picked it up a few days later. All good. I was told by another gun shop that I would have to send it back to Browning back east but I thought I'd check to see if there was someone closer. I found this post, called Reliable and bingo

BeerMan
10-30-2023, 05:08 PM
Did they take care of it in their store? My xbolt has the sticky issue:icon_frow

BradC
10-30-2023, 06:58 PM
Did they take care of it in their store? My xbolt has the sticky issue:icon_frow

Yes they do them in store.

roymil
11-02-2023, 08:40 PM
I just had to email pictures of the stock to Browning, they sent me a new stock.Never had to send the old stock back .

Mudsey
11-03-2023, 09:14 AM
Nice Browning changed their policy. When I had mine done last year they said I had to send it to them, they couldn't just send me a stock as it would void the warranty if they didn't install it themselves. My process was a nightmare, first Canada Post delivered to a residence in Ottawa (rather than Browning in Quebec) and left it there without getting a signature. Luckily the person who's residence it was didn't keep it and sent it on to Browning. Browning finally received it 5 weeks after I initially mailed it. Then the gunsmith (Lemieux Armory's) had to wait for almost 3 months to receive a new stock from the manufacturer. However Lemieux was great on keeping me updated and as soon as they received the stock the installed and shipped to me within a day. I'm very happy with the new stock, it's a little more streamlined than the old one but the whole process took 6 months.

mike31154
11-03-2023, 10:27 AM
All my firearms have walnut/wood furniture so no experience with this sticky stock business. One of the guys I like to follow on YouTube has this.

https://www.youtube.com/shorts/tMb_l_H_t4g

Fallkniven
11-03-2023, 06:17 PM
Had the same issue with my Sako 85...Ill never buy a 'soft touch' stock again!